ADVERTISEMENT

will ole miss make a run at Mike White?

9 seed is squarely on the bubble. The projections I have read is that 4-3 the rest of the way has us on the bubble but probably in, 5-2 is in and 3-4 is out. Although I will say UF could certainly win a couple games in the SECT and maybe even win the thing, so we've probably got a bit more leeway.

Vandy, home vs. Arky and @UGA should be automatics for a tourney team, so we need 2 wins out of: @ UK, home vs. LSU, @UT and home vs. UK.

I feel like this post is an annual tradition for the Mike White Gators.

2 games against UK and another against LSU is going to be difficult. I would believe we can win 2 of those 4 because.....consistent inconsistency, but the same thing goes for losing one of the games we should win.

still not going to shock me if we go 3-4 on that stretch. But 4-3 is possible too. Don't see 5-2 unless we somehow have gotten things together and look as organized as we did against TAMU, despite how bad that team is.

Coaching Consistency: "Players always digress shooting under Coach White." :rolleyes:

~ * 55 — Points out of UF's 78 scored by the sophomore class of Nembhard, Locke and Johnson @ A&M on a combined 21-for-37 shooting (56.7%) and 8-for-15 from distance (53.3%).

~ * 5 — UF players during White's 5 seasons to have games of at least 10 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, ala Johnson @ A&M. He joined Finney-Smith, Chris Chiozza, Egor Koulechov and Blackshear.

Just an oh BTW,,, in BillyD's last 8 seasons at UF, he didn't manage a season sweep of Vandy. Last accomplished in 2006 (#2 NC season).
~ Mike's team will have an opportunity to do so tonight.

BillyD was a Great Coach and an even Better Person.
I'm so glad that he is being followed by the same type of Coach and Person.... :)

Mike Whit's team gets the 1st season SWEEP of Vandy since 2006. o_O

The prime example that shooters always digress under Mike White's coaching.,.. :rolleyes:
After setting a new UF Freshman Record For Season Made 3's (81) last year, Noah just went 6-for-8 (75%) from the 3-point line vs VU. Noah Locke is now leading the SEC by shooting over 51.9% from deep in SEC this season. :eek:

When the final horn sounded, UF had shot nearly 52% from the floor and 58% from the 3-point line, so the Gators were a plus-50% in both statistics..

That's with the same coach and the same offense. So maybe the difference between the wins and the losses is the players making their shots at a higher %.... :cool:

When the players don't make their shots it's always the coaches fault, so who gets the credit when they do make their shots, (which is most of the time) 16-9, 8-4 SEC.

UF began the season with the 14th youngest team in the nation. o_O
Then they lost Gak, their rsSr center.He never came back from his off-season knee surgery and announced that he would transfer out in Dec..
Then for the last 7-8 games they have been playing without their rsJr PF Dontay Bassett.
If you act like that doesn't matter, then you show some of your truly unwarranted bias against Mike.
'I wonder where on the 'youngest team' scale that puts them since Gak left and Bassett went out.... ' :oops:
The only upperclassman still playing is 1st year Gator, Grad-xfer PF/C Blackshear.

Should Mike White be getting any 'coaching' credit for the teams still solid, mostly winning performance, or is he really the coaching bum that some here claim he is? :confused:

BTW, BillyD doesn't agree with the fan bummers on Mike's abilities, but what's he know about it? :rolleyes:

PS ~ PG Chris Chiozza was there last night.
With his crappy coaching, Mike digressed Chris into being the Gator's All Time Career Assist. Record Holder (571).
Chris also twice led the SEC in assist-to-turnover ratio, junior (2.4 / 1) and senior (3.4 / 1).

It's this Mike White B-Ball bandwagon drivers opinion, that some here don't realize just how truly lucky that UF was in getting a new young coach of Mike's character and coaching ability, to follow up on BillyD's established traditions. o_O

Last edited:
UF/Mike are now 17-9, 9-4 SEC, as they move into a tie with LSU for 3rd place in the league standings. -- UF 73 - 59 Ark (-14)

Leaves me wondering how well they might have done, IF both Gak and Bassett had been healthy and available all season? o_O
I guess it's a good thing that the young/new players had Mike and his staff's coaching skills, to take up the slack in the missing big man experience. :cool:

More Shooting Digression under Coach Mike White: :rolleyes:
For a 3rd consecutive game UF shot 50%+ for the game, including a 63.2% 2nd half.

Nembhard said. "It just ended up that we were the ones scoring." (17 Pts,7 Rbs, 4 Ast)
Added Kee-tae: "When the play broke down, I just happened to get past my defenders and make the smart decision for my team." (24 Pts, 10 Rbs)
"We strung together some stops and got to the rim," UF coach Mike White said.

~ They put the game away by outscoring Ark 19-9 over the final 7-plus minutes.

Tale of the Tourney so far: The victory over Ark was a "Quadrant-2" win, meaning the Gators are a combined 7-9 in Q-1 and Q-2 games against the #34/353 SoS (including being ranked #11/353 in their non-conference SoS).
==========

Next Game: Here's to hoping that our Gators can overcome the crappy SEC officials,,, and beat kensucky... Sometimes, I just have to turn the game off and not watch it,,, due to the Rupp version of the SEC Officials....

Note: In the last dozen years @ UK.
UF has won twice, Mike 1/4 and BillyD 1/8, one each and both wins vs Cal-Cheat.

2019-20 -- #1 SEC Kensucky--Cal-Cheat are 20-5,
10-2 SEC
---
2018-19 L 57 - 66 UK +9 - NCAA Rnd of 32
2017-18 W 88 - 73 UK -15 -- MIke White - NCAA Rnd of 32
2016-17 L 66 - 76 UK +10 - NCAA Elite-8
2015-16 L 61 - 80 UK +19 - NIT Quarter-Final
-----
2014-15 L 50 - 67 UK +17
2013-14 W 69 - 59 UK -10 -- BillyD
2012-13 L 57 - 61 UK +4
2011-12 L 58 - 78 UK +20
2010-11 L 68 - 76 UK +8
2009-10 L 66 - 74 UK +8
2008-09 L 65 - 68 UK +3
2007-08 L 70 - 75 UK +5
=======

Keep in mind that UF's schedules are different now under White than before him. o_O

* 0 — Florida regular-season games against No. 1-ranked opponents other than Kentucky during the 66 seasons from 1949 to 2015.

* 4 — Florida regular-season games against No. 1-ranked opponents other than Kentucky during the five seasons from 2015-20, all during White's tenure (at Michigan State in '15; vs. Duke in '17; at Tennessee in '19; now Baylor). :eek:

UF 59 - 65 UK (+6)
Nembhard, Locke, and Lewis combined to go 2-14 shooting (14.3%).

Johnson 19 Pts, 9 Rbs
Blackshear 18 Pts, 6 Rbs
SG Mann 13 Pts, shooting 5 of 8 (62.5%) with 3 of 4 on 3's (75%).
Those 3 combined for 50 Pts.
----
The rest of the team basically sucked wind while combining for just 9 Pts.

3's in the 1st half = 5 of 14 (35.7%)
3's in the 2nd half = 1 of 9 (11.1%)
3's in the game = 6 of 23 (26.1%)

~ The SEC's leading made 3's % leader (SG Locke) went 0-5 @ UK with 1 T-O..
Proving that anyone can have a bad game,,, and do-do occurs.... :(

While UK's Soph guard Quickley hit 8 of his 17 shots (47%), 4 of 6 on 3-point attempts (66.7%) and all 6 of his free throws (100%), for 26 Pts, 22 coming in the 2nd half.
Proving that anyone can get hot and take over a game. :rolleyes:

Just 2 more made 3's by any Gator, with 1 more made FT and they still win the game.
Make your shots and win,,, or miss your shots and lose. o_O

UF 81 - 66 LSU (-15)

In the bigger picture (with Mike's coaching),Florida is playing its best basketball of the season and did not let last weekend's setback @ 12th-ranked Kentucky — a hard-fought 65-59 (-6) loss — undermine the progress the Gators made in winning the previous three games; particularly the selfless way they won those games.

"I think we're getting really close to understanding what we are when we're at our best," Nembhard said. "I think Kentucky put in perspective at the highest level of what we really need to do on both sides of the floor to play our best. I think we took a step toward that this game. We didn't play a full 40, but we were better."

"We just need to build and build on how we're playing, and I don't think it's going to be hard to do," Lewis said. "It's about putting our individual mindsets aside and locking in as a team. Right now, honestly, I think everybody is there. We know what it takes. Everyone knows their roles and once you buy into that there's not much you can't accomplish."

"I think we're getting closer to the way we want to play,"
White said. "Unfortunately, we didn't figure it out immediately … but we didn't think we would, either."

Such is college basketball life with a bunch of kids. Four months later, the kids are all right. They're figuring stuff out, playing the right way, having fun, winning games, (and buying into the solid coaching).

PS
"Kee-Tae Johnson didn't give the refs a chance to steal a win for LSU from him at the final buzzer this time around,"
iG says.... 25 Pts, 11 Rbs, 5 Asts playing 37 minutes. "He started the season as my favorite player to watch, and he's only gotten better as the season has gone on." :D

UF 81 - 66 LSU (-15)

In the bigger picture (with Mike's coaching),Florida is playing its best basketball of the season and did not let last weekend's setback @ 12th-ranked Kentucky — a hard-fought 65-59 (-6) loss — undermine the progress the Gators made in winning the previous three games; particularly the selfless way they won those games.

"I think we're getting really close to understanding what we are when we're at our best," Nembhard said. "I think Kentucky put in perspective at the highest level of what we really need to do on both sides of the floor to play our best. I think we took a step toward that this game. We didn't play a full 40, but we were better."

"We just need to build and build on how we're playing, and I don't think it's going to be hard to do," Lewis said. "It's about putting our individual mindsets aside and locking in as a team. Right now, honestly, I think everybody is there. We know what it takes. Everyone knows their roles and once you buy into that there's not much you can't accomplish."

"I think we're getting closer to the way we want to play,"
White said. "Unfortunately, we didn't figure it out immediately … but we didn't think we would, either."

Such is college basketball life with a bunch of kids. Four months later, the kids are all right. They're figuring stuff out, playing the right way, having fun, winning games, (and buying into the solid coaching).

PS
"Kee-Tae Johnson didn't give the refs a chance to steal a win for LSU from him at the final buzzer this time around,"
iG says.... 25 Pts, 11 Rbs, 5 Asts playing 37 minutes. "He started the season as my favorite player to watch, and he's only gotten better as the season has gone on." :D

I bet if you called Johnson Kee Tae to his face, he would smack you.

Reactions: gatordad3
Imagine KJ at 6'8"....just wow. Anyway, it does look like they have found some solid footing at the right time of year. Keep playing like this, we will make some noise in the tourney.

Johnson's emergence has made the Gators a dangerous team without a doubt.

"It's just gaining more confidence as games go by, trying to carry it over each game to do what I've got to do to get the team win," Johnson said. "Just playing at my pace, just playing with confidence and shooting with confidence, just playing the game like coach says and letting the moment come to you."

Wing Scottie Lewis has also shown flashes that his offense is coming around. He was a key contributor to the win against LSU, adding a career-high 18 points and showing off some improved shooting from beyond the arc, where he finished the game 2-for-3.

"He's been listening to the coaches a lot, where he can find his best shots and where he can find his move, when to take his shot, when to not take his shot," Nembhard said. "I think he's really thriving."

WoW! Maybe Mike can coach a little bit,,, after all... :cool:

I thought coaches were irrelevant and it’s just a matter of whether shots go in or not?

No, I doubt that's in your limited arena...

While I believe that you are one to the whiny twits that claims that Mike has no offence and is a lousy coach that will never do more than just 20's per season.... :rolleyes:

White has us playing tight today. We have passed on several wide open shots for some reason. Did he tell these guys not to shoot in practice this week? Let's get some shots up.

This is why none of us should be happy by just simply squeaking by and getting into the tournament.

Those of you screaming about “inconsistency”... I beg to differ. This is has consistently been the program for the last 4 seasons....

Consistently inconsistent

Reactions: PacoGator19
This is why none of us should be happy by just simply squeaking by and getting into the tournament.

Those of you screaming about “inconsistency”... I beg to differ. This is has consistently been the program for the last 4 seasons....

Consistently inconsistent
Yep. We have 2-3 games per year against crappy teams where we get run out of the gym.

I just turned to the game after watching Gator lacrosse upset #3 Stony Brook 12-10 and watching Gator softball lose to the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns 7-5. Amazing that after playing the best basketball game of the year against LSU, it looks like we're playing one of our worst a few days later in Knoxville. With 9 minutes left and down 12, can the good guys come back and win?

Why is Locke on the bench again?? It's these types of decisions by White that emphasize he will never, never be a championship caliber coach.

Reactions: gatordad3
And you can bet on losses to UT

Makes Mighty White 1-5 or 1-6 vs the Dim Witted Dullard ( even though Barnes lost 4 of last year's starting 5 to the NBA and the 2x # 6 man of the year in the SEC to shoulder surgery. )
Ole Instant was really boasting that this was to be THE year( as were many of the prostnigators that UF would dethrone the KY Mild Tats for the SEC Crown) as Mighty White had a great recruiting class entering ( wasn't it something like three 5*?)as well as snagging the #1 transfer in the nation and has several returning veterans.

The flu has hit a lot of teams so I figure both have had to battle through with players not up to their best.

BTW, Barnes has three 5* signed for next year and loses only 2 from this class, one of which he already lost due to that shoulder surgery. Starting one kid from Uruguay that is only 17 years old. This team is half freshmen.

Have to hope he can "Coach 'em up" better than White did with his

Makes Mighty White 1-5 or 1-6 vs the Dim Witted Dullard ( even though Barnes lost 4 of last year's starting 5 to the NBA and the 2x # 6 man of the year in the SEC to shoulder surgery. )
Ole Instant was really boasting that this was to be THE year( as were many of the prostnigators that UF would dethrone the KY Mild Tats for the SEC Crown) as Mighty White had a great recruiting class entering ( wasn't it something like three 5*?)as well as snagging the #1 transfer in the nation and has several returning veterans.

The flu has hit a lot of teams so I figure both have had to battle through with players not up to their best.

BTW, Barnes has three 5* signed for next year and loses only 2 from this class, one of which he already lost due to that shoulder surgery. Starting one kid from Uruguay that is only 17 years old. This team is half freshmen.

And yet in spite of all that the Gators are still younger and the vols will get to watch us in the ncaa while regular season Rick tries to avoid a repeat at texas...

Reactions: instaGATOR

Bye Bye. You haven’t been here all year long and the UT basketball team likely isn’t even going to the tourney and now all of a sudden you show back up?? It doesn’t work like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicktheslick
The 04’s struggled in Knoxville so this is nothing new but that 9:49 with NO field goals just cannot happen. Then throw in 11 first half turnovers and you have a recipe for disaster. And I don’t like to dis the referees but did it look like UT defenders had their hands on our players preventing them from cutting to the basket and UF got called for a lot of hand checking?

Reactions: instaGATOR

Despite uf not doing well....

Its still 10x the basketball program UT is.

Its still a better modern era football program.

.......and A TON better overall athletic program.

Tell your big brother, Vandy, we said hello.

Last edited:
:D:D:D:D:D -- Hey loser Mad-Dog-dollie.... :p

Anyone not biased or blind KNOWS that the Gators were getting hosed by the refs. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ukalum1988
UF 68 - 54 @ UGly (-14) - for a season sweep. :p

KeyTae - 18 Pts, 11 Rbs, 2 Ast, 1 TO, 3 Stl.
Noah - 17 Pts, 5 Rbs, 2 Ast, 1 TO
Scottie - 11 Pts, 1 Rb, 2 Ast, 0 TO, 2 Blks
Andrew - 8 Pts, 0 Rbs, 6 Asts, 1 TO. 3 Stls
Kerry - 8 Pts, 6 Rbs, 2 Asts, 1 TO,
6th Man Tre - 5 Pts, 4 Rbs, 1 Ast, 1 TO
>>> 15 Assists to just 5 Turnovers

In the bigger, more important picture, at 19 overall wins against one of the nation's most difficult schedules and no worse than the fourth-most wins in the conference, the Gators would appear to be a virtual lock for a 4th consecutive NCAA Tournament at-large berth. :cool:

The victory, in fact, got even bigger in the moments after the game, as both Auburn and LSU lost, thus moving the Gators (19-11, 11-6) into a 3-way tie for 2nd in the SEC standings, with the tiebreaker over both teams in hand.

"We have our deficiencies as a team, but our guys are resilient," Florida coach Mike White said. "They keep plugging away."

Mike has done that with a very tough SoS, and with the youngest team in the SEC, #14 youngest in the nation, and that was before losing rsSr center Gak. Mike has been #2 in the SEC to Cal-Cheat / UK for the last 3 (4?) years, but still the clueless bitch, whine, and snivel about the excellent job that he's been doing all along.... o_O

We actually had 8 turnovers vs. Georgia, not 5. Here's the link to the official box score. https://floridagators.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20/georgia/boxscore/17716

When the Gators play solid defense, take care of the ball and just shoot decently, they win. We have had very few game where our assist to turnover ratio was good like last night. And it was excellent against LSU. Defensively, we held Georgia to 11 assists and 16 turnovers. That's how you win on the other end. For the year we are averaging 11.8 assist and 12 turnovers per game. That's just not good enough against quality opponents. When there is more passing and less dribbling and consistent movement without the ball, we normally get easier shots and the shooting percentage is better. That's the key to this team's winning.

We actually had 8 turnovers vs. Georgia, not 5. Here's the link to the official box score. https://floridagators.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20/georgia/boxscore/17716

When the Gators play solid defense, take care of the ball and just shoot decently, they win. We have had very few game where our assist to turnover ratio was good like last night. And it was excellent against LSU. Defensively, we held Georgia to 11 assists and 16 turnovers. That's how you win on the other end. For the year we are averaging 11.8 assist and 12 turnovers per game. That's just not good enough against quality opponents. When there is more passing and less dribbling and consistent movement without the ball, we normally get easier shots and the shooting percentage is better. That's the key to this team's winning.

There were 5 TO's from the one's I listed. I did not list the total, but thanks anyway... :cool:

They also do well when the game officials call a reasonably FAIR / EVEN game. :rolleyes:

When they do well, it's nothing to do with Mike's coaching, only when it's bad does he get the credit for it... :confused:

CMW can't coach a lick, and that's proven by the way his players always digress in their performance.... o_O

PF/C Kerry Blackshear Grad-xfer - 2nd Team All SEC
Had 8 2x-2X's, Ave.12.8 Pts/Gm - Team leader in Rbs at 7.8 Gm
(injured out in the 1st half of UF's 1 Pt loss to #6 UK) :(

SF/PF Keyontae Johnson Soph - 1st Team All SEC
Ave. 14 Pts, 7.1 Rbs - 3rd in SEC at 54.4% on FG's

SF/G Scottie Lewis Fr - All SEC Freshman Team
The 3rd under CMW, (K.Allen & A.Nembhard)
Leads team in Blk's, 8th in the SEC at 1.2 / Gm, & 81.7% FT's.

Doh! :rolleyes:

When they do well, it's nothing to do with Mike's coaching, only when it's bad does he get the credit for it... :confused:

why do you keep saying this? It’s demonstrably untrue. When we beat LSU and UGA, there were plenty of posters saying it was a good win and we had a good shot at closing out the season strong. It’s fair game to criticize him when his team follows that up by blowing a 17 point lead at home.

There were 5 TO's from the one's I listed. I did not list the total, but thanks anyway... :cool:

They also do well when the game officials call a reasonably FAIR / EVEN game. :rolleyes:

Fish stink from the head down...

why do you keep saying this? It’s demonstrably untrue. When we beat LSU and UGA, there were plenty of posters saying it was a good win and we had a good shot at closing out the season strong. It’s fair game to criticize him when his team follows that up by blowing a 17 point lead at home.

And having the only upperclassman Big going down in the 1st half means nada, right? :rolleyes:
Maybe there was a reason (missing the teams leading rebounder) and had something to do with getting over-whelmed in the paint by the #6 team in the nation in the 2nd half. :oops: (still only lost by 1 pts on a missed final shot, not blown out)

When he wins, nobody here says that he's a great intelligent coach with a solid offense that should have a long tenure as the Gator's B-Ball coach. :cool:

However, any loss and the usual twits will be all over the board calling for his firing. o_O
Your own completely disingenuous bs notwithstanding... :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT