ADVERTISEMENT

will ole miss make a run at Mike White?

They'd probably like to have him, but I don't think anyone's leaving Florida basketball for Ole Miss, even if its his alma mater.

Maybe if he was feeling some heat, but he'd have to miss the next two tournaments to really start feeling it.

I like White, but jury is definitely still out on him. The thing I have my eye on with him is that we're in year 3, and all our best players are still Donovan recruits or transfers.

If he gets this team into the tournament, I'd be pretty impressed.

They'd probably like to have him, but I don't think anyone's leaving Florida basketball for Ole Miss, even if its his alma mater.

Maybe if he was feeling some heat, but he'd have to miss the next two tournaments to really start feeling it.

I like White, but jury is definitely still out on him. The thing I have my eye on with him is that we're in year 3, and all our best players are still Donovan recruits or transfers.

Current BillyD players:
PG Chris Chiozza - A backup to Hill, he played, but he was never a full time starter until now. Chris is the ONLY one that actually played some as a non-starter for BillyD.
-----
SG/PG KeVaughn Allen - Under White, he's now playing some at PG for the 1st time, while the Fr PG gains some playing experience. BillyD recruited him then left, so White had to re-recruited him. He never played for him.
PF/C Kevarrius Hayes - Recruited by BillyD, but he never played for him.

Xfers:
C John Egbunu rsSr - BillyD xfer that took a rs but he never played for him.
SG/SF Jalen Hudson rsJr - BillyD xfer that took a rs but he never played for him.

All of the rest of the team (10 of 15) are totally White's guys.

Ms (among many others) would hire him in a NY-second, but that ain't gonna happen.

White has a better first 2 year W/L record than BillyD had.
BillyD came in following current OK HC Lon Kruger.
1st Year coming off BillyD's 16 win losing season, he went to 20 wins and the NIT, while playing all of the NIT games on opponent floors while the O-Dome was being renovated.
2nd Year began in all away games while O-Dome was being completed.

In two seasons at Florida, Mike White has returned the Gators to the National conversation, leading UF to the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight, a 27-9 record and a 2nd-place SEC finish at 14-4. White earned an array of awards, including:
SEC Coach of the Year
USBWA and NABC District Coach of the Year.
He was also a semifinalist for Naismith Coach of the Year.

Record at UF: 48-24
Overall Record: 149-64
Current Record: 17-8 - 8-4 SEC

So while YOU might still be out on coach White, o_O the real Jury has already spoken,,, and they have done so CoY emphatically imo. :cool:

Last edited:
I like our coach, we were one win from the Final Four last year.While this year has had it's highs and lows, mostly due to our reliance on threes. I still think he has this program on the right track.

Ole Miss is not on par with Florida on any level. Other than it being his alma mater, I can't see any chance they lure him away. They have little history and are alot harder to recruit to. Outside of Kentucky there isn't a single program in the SEC better than Florida.

Funny to think before Donovan came, the program had as many tournament berths as fingers on a single hand.

Correct me of I'm wrong but wasn't K Allen just a commit to Billy? After Billy took the OKC position, Arkansas came hard after Allen but he reaffirmed his commitment to White.

Correct me of I'm wrong but wasn't K Allen just a commit to Billy? After Billy took the OKC position, Arkansas came hard after Allen but he reaffirmed his commitment to White.

Correct TG, and thanks for the correction/addition. I was going on memory, which is never a sure thing with me... :confused: (senility and all that, ya know) ;)
~ I went back to my above post and made the changes/additions.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Correct. Mike White had to basically re-recruit Allen. Kevaughan had basically one foot out the door when Billy D left.

I haven't read anything that disagrees with my post. I like Mike White quite a bit, and I'll give him partial credit for keeping Allen and Keith Stone, but who is the best player on this team that he recruited on his own? Okauru? He got some bad luck with Johnson and Stokes' injuries. And I like Ballard and Basset as athletic role players. But the next difference maker White goes out and finds and puts on the court for UF will be his first.

His class next year looks great, so maybe it will be one of those guys.

Huh? Why are many here acting like we ain't making the tourney? Even if we finish 10-8 in SEC (2-4 down the stretch), we are making the tourney. We have beaten 2 current top 10 teams in Cincy and Zaga. We barely lost a close one to Clemson, who is almost current top 10. We are 3-2 vs current top 25. We had a good non conference schedule. Even the "bad" home loss to Loyola-Chicago ain't that bad considering that L-C will win their conference and make the tourney. I think only 2 of our losses were by double digits? Chill guys, have you not watched college ball your whole lives? Vandy made the tourney last year with a what 18-13 or 16-14 record? And the SEC conference is stronger this year with more teams gonna get in to the tourney......chillax.

Reactions: SwampMaster
Huh? Why are many here acting like we ain't making the tourney? Even if we finish 10-8 in SEC (2-4 down the stretch), we are making the tourney. We have beaten 2 current top 10 teams in Cincy and Zaga. We barely lost a close one to Clemson, who is almost current top 10. We are 3-2 vs current top 25. We had a good non conference schedule. Even the "bad" home loss to Loyola-Chicago ain't that bad considering that L-C will win their conference and make the tourney. I think only 2 of our losses were by double digits? Chill guys, have you not watched college ball your whole lives? Vandy made the tourney last year with a what 18-13 or 16-14 record? And the SEC conference is stronger this year with more teams gonna get in to the tourney......chillax.

I didn't say we're not going to make it, I said I'd be impressed if Mike White gets this team in. In other words I will have thought that he did a good job. I'm pretty sure that's a positive sentiment. I agree we will probably get in, but it would be very sketchy at 10-8. That would most likely put us on the bubble with a 4-game losing streak. I wouldn't feel great about our chances in that scenario. Obviously, we'd still have the SECT to improve our resume.

This. We would totally have to crap the bed to miss the tourney. The committee is usually more concerned with who you can beat vs who you have lost to.

I didn't say we're not going to make it, I said I'd be impressed if Mike White gets this team in. In other words I will have thought that he did a good job. I'm pretty sure that's a positive sentiment. I agree we will probably get in, but it would be very sketchy at 10-8. That would most likely put us on the bubble with a 4-game losing streak. I wouldn't feel great about our chances in that scenario. Obviously, we'd still have the SECT to improve our resume.
I was piggybacking your post ITT when my reply was more warranted in the NIT here we come thread. But you shouldn't be impressed with White if we make the tourney. We have talent on the roster and just making the tourney shouldn't be hard for a school like ours. I wouldn't be impressed when we make it.......but I sure as heck would be pissed if we didn't make it. Even in down years with down talent on the roster, we should be making the tourney in my eyes......we ain't Ole Miss, UGa, etc, we are Florida, the school that is good in all sports, men's and women's! Or at least should be.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
I haven't read anything that disagrees with my post. I like Mike White quite a bit, and I'll give him partial credit for keeping Allen and Keith Stone, but who is the best player on this team that he recruited on his own? Okauru? He got some bad luck with Johnson and Stokes' injuries. And I like Ballard and Basset as athletic role players. But the next difference maker White goes out and finds and puts on the court for UF will be his first.

His class next year looks great, so maybe it will be one of those guys.

Right off the top, I'd say that Leon, Barry, and 3-Gor are all 'difference makers,' outside of Mike's HS recruits. This leaves me wondering how well Mike will do now that he's fully established himself as a Top SEC coach, and begins to build an entire team of HS players that he has recruited to UF.

View #1 - He's had to succeed with players that he didn't recruit.
And he's already been awarded an SEC and District CoY doing so.

View #2 - He's had to recruit, or re-recruited every player on the current team except for the Cheese, who is a 1st year full time starter in White's 3rd season. The Cheese is the ONLY player left on the team that actually played some for BillyD, and he was a part time backup back then.
===========

Those with the attention spans of a sugared up 6 year old may want to skip over the rest of this longish post.... ;)

Gator Coach Mike White
Born 3-2-77 just down the road in Dunedin, FL
White graduated from a Jesuit HS in N.O, LA.
He played PG for Ole Miss, so a Ms Alum.
His 1st Head-coaching job was in LA at Tech.
His Dad is the AD at Duke.
His Brother Danny is the AD at UCF.
His Brother Brian is a Sr Assoc AD at Mizzou.

So, if Mike retires one day in the far future from coaching at UF, and then returns to Ole Miss to be their AD, I'd be fine with it.... :cool:
==================

Recruiting for Mike at UF:

2018 - #14 Class so far --- Soon to be Dancing again.
#19 SF Keyontae Johnson 6-5 190 ****
#12 SG Noah Locke 6-2 175 ****
#3 PG Andrew Nembhard 6-4 185 ***** (16/150)

2017 - #19 Class --- NCAA Elite Eight
#54 PG Michael Okauru 6-3 180 ***
#28 PF Isaiah Stokes 6-8 270 **** (rehabing ACL from HS)
#23 SF DeAundre Ballard 6-6 170 ****
#18 SF Chase Johnson 6-8 205 **** (concussion protocol injured out)
#76 SG Egor Koulechov *** - Grad-xfer, ASU to Rice to UF

2016 - #69 Class - NIT
#70 PF Dontay Bassett 6-9 220 ***
#29 C Gorjok Gak 6-10 205 *** - OkSt coaching change, flipped to UF
#22 SG Eric Hester 6-3 175 *** - Xfer out after Fr season.
-----
SG/SF Canyon Barry ** - Grad-xfer -- SEC 6th Man Award

2015 - #17 Class - 16 win losing season, BillyD gone, White coming in.
JuCo SF Justin Leon 6-8 205 *** (#2 JuCo SF, LaT flip to White/UF)
#13 C/PF Kevarrius Hayes 6-8 190 **** (committed to UF since a HS Soph)
#16 SF/PF Keith Stone 6-7 215 ****
#19 SG KeVaughn Allen 6-3 180 ****
I believe that Allen and Hayes were initially BillyD recruits, while Leon and Stone were mostly White's recruits.

2014 - #14 Class - BillyD's last full class that was his all the way.
SG Brandone Francis 6-5 200 **** - transferred out after Fr season.
PG Chris Chiozza 5-9 160 **** - now starting PG - only one still on the team.
SF Devin Robinson 6-8 180 ***** - left early (Jr) for the NBA
==========

In White's 1st year he brought JuCo Jr SF Leon with him as a LaTech flip.
In 2016 he brought in SG/SF C.Barry as a Grad-xfer.
He also brought in C Gorjok Gak as a flip from OkSt.
For 2 years in a row, Mike has had to bring in key Grad-xfers to fill roster holes.
For 2017, he brought in SG/SF Egor Koulechov as a Grad-xfer to replace departing SEC 6th Man SG/SFCanyon Barry.

I'm 100% on board with the best young B-Ball coach in the Nation... :cool:

Last edited:
Right off the top, I'd say that Leon, Barry, and 3-Gor are all 'difference makers,' outside of Mike's HS recruits. This leaves me wondering how well Mike will do now that he's fully established himself as a Top SEC coach, and begins to build an entire team of HS players that he has recruited to UF.

View #1 - He's had to succeed with players that he didn't recruit.
And he's already been awarded an SEC and District CoY doing so.

View #2 - He's had to recruit, or re-recruited every player on the current team except for the Cheese, who is a 1st year full time starter in White's 3rd season. The Cheese is the ONLY player left on the team that actually played some for BillyD, and he was a part time backup back then.
===========

Those with the attention spans of a sugared up 6 year old may want to skip over the rest of this longish post.... ;)

Gator Coach Mike White
Born 3-2-77 just down the road in Dunedin, FL
White graduated from a Jesuit HS in N.O, LA.
He played PG for Ole Miss, so a Ms Alum.
His 1st Head-coaching job was in LA at Tech.
His Dad is the AD at Duke.
His Brother Danny is the AD at UCF.
His Brother Brian is a Sr Assoc AD at Mizzou.

So, if Mike retires one day in the far future from coaching at UF, and then returns to Ole Miss to be their AD, I'd be fine with it.... :cool:
==================

Recruiting for Mike at UF:

2018 - #14 Class so far --- Soon to be Dancing again.
#19 SF Keyontae Johnson 6-5 190 ****
#12 SG Noah Locke 6-2 175 ****
#3 PG Andrew Nembhard 6-4 185 ***** (16/150)

2017 - #19 Class --- NCAA Elite Eight
#54 PG Michael Okauru 6-3 180 ***
#28 PF Isaiah Stokes 6-8 270 **** (rehabing ACL from HS)
#23 SF DeAundre Ballard 6-6 170 ****
#18 SF Chase Johnson 6-8 205 **** (concussion protocol injured out)
#76 SG Egor Koulechov *** - Grad-xfer, ASU to Rice to UF

2016 - #69 Class - NIT
#70 PF Dontay Bassett 6-9 220 ***
#29 C Gorjok Gak 6-10 205 *** - OkSt coaching change, flipped to UF
#22 SG Eric Hester 6-3 175 *** - Xfer out after Fr season.
-----
SG/SF Canyon Barry ** - Grad-xfer -- SEC 6th Man Award

2015 - #17 Class - 16 win losing season, BillyD gone, White coming in.
JuCo SF Justin Leon 6-8 205 *** (#2 JuCo SF, LaT flip to White/UF)
#13 C/PF Kevarrius Hayes 6-8 190 **** (committed to UF since a HS Soph)
#16 SF/PF Keith Stone 6-7 215 ****
#19 SG KeVaughn Allen 6-3 180 ****
I believe that Allen and Hayes were initially BillyD recruits, while Leon and Stone were mostly White's recruits.

2014 - #14 Class - BillyD's last full class that was his all the way.
SG Brandone Francis 6-5 200 **** - transferred out after Fr season.
PG Chris Chiozza 5-9 160 **** - now starting PG - only one still on the team.
SF Devin Robinson 6-8 180 ***** - left early (Jr) for the NBA
==========

In White's 1st year he brought JuCo Jr SF Leon with him as a LaTech flip.
In 2016 he brought in SG/SF C.Barry as a Grad-xfer.
He also brought in C Gorjok Gak as a flip from OkSt.
For 2 years in a row, Mike has had to bring in key Grad-xfers to fill roster holes.
For 2017, he brought in SG/SF Egor Koulechov as a Grad-xfer to replace departing SEC 6th Man SG/SFCanyon Barry.

I'm 100% on board with the best young B-Ball coach in the Nation... :cool:
"Best young B-ball coach in the nation". Oh Insta, you are some kind of special.

"Best young B-ball coach in the nation". Oh Insta, you are some kind of special.

This,,, from the clueless 'Go Fish'.... :rolleyes:

Perfect! o_O

But I notice that he didn't put up who he thinks is a better young B-Ball coach, just another mouthy (irrelevant) comment. :cool:

In two seasons at Florida, Mike White has returned the Gators to the National conversation, leading UF to the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight, a 27-9 record and a 2nd-place SEC finish at 14-4. White earned an array of awards, including:
SEC Coach of the Year
USBWA and NABC District Coach of the Year.
He was also a semifinalist for Naismith Coach of the Year.

Record at UF: 48-24
Overall Record: 149-64
Current Record: 17-9 - 8-5 SEC - With a projected 4 Seed

Reactions: GoFish2
Archie Miller would have been a better hire. And now he’s at IU.

This was an average hire at best. And to be honest he has not panned out to the point that the Gator Basketball program was before him.

This was an average hire at best. And to be honest he has not panned out to the point that the Gator Basketball program was before him.

I think Archie Miller was waiting for IU. Nobody knows how Mike White will work out. We've had some really good results and some head scratchers. One thing that for sure needs to improve is his recruiting.

Aren’t you an FSU fan. I’m not sure you can even comment on anything college basketball coaching related when you have a coach that I think has only been past the 2nd round once in his entire career and he’s like 100 years old.

As of right now White is an average hire but even then he’s made it further in the tourney than Leonard and he’s about half his age.

I think Archie Miller was waiting for IU. Nobody knows how Mike White will work out. We've had some really good results and some head scratchers. One thing that for sure needs to improve is his recruiting.

You gotta be satisfied with next year's class, no?

This was an average hire at best. And to be honest (clueless-moronic) he has not panned out to the point that the Gator Basketball program was before him.

:D :D :D Now isn't ole ZZ cute, with his vast knowledge of all things UF... :rolleyes:

So I guess that BillyD was also an average hire at the time... :cool:

Lon Kruger - UF 1990-95 -- 104 - 80
Lon led the University of Florida to its first-ever Final Four appearance in 1994.
He was named Coach of the Year in both 1992 and 1994.
2011 to now, Lon is currently the HC for Oklahoma.

When BillyD took over for him, his last UF season was 12-16, 6-10 SEC

BillyD's first 3 UF seasons: Arrived as a 1st time HC (3 Yrs) from Marshall.

1996-97 -- 13-17, 6-12 SEC -- Losing Season

1997-98 -- 14-15, 7-11 SEC -- Losing Season

1998-99 -- 22-9, 10-6 SEC -- Finally makes the Dance
NCAA Championships
W UF 75 - 61 Penn
W UF 82 - 74 Weber St
L UF 72 - 73 Gonzaga -- Goes down in the Sweet 16.

==================================

Mike White's first 3 UF seasons: Arrived as a 1st time HC (4 Yrs) from LaTech.
(following a depleted roster with a 16 win loser season)
2014-15 -- 16-17, 8-10 SEC
Long time commit PF Kevarrius Hayes was the only firm commit in the recruiting class.

2015-16 -- 21-15, 9-9 SEC -- Winning Season
Selected to the NIT - All away games due to O'Dome renovations.
W UF 97 - 68 @ UNF
W UF 74 - 66 @ tOSU
L UF 77 - 82 @ Georgetown in the Quarter Finals (final-4)

2016-17 -- 27-9, 14-4 SEC - Runner-up to UK
NCAA Championships
W UF 80 - 65 ETnSt
W UF 65 - 39 VA
W UF 84 - 83 Wis in OT
L UF 70 - 77 SCa - Elite Eight

2017-18 -- 17-9, 8-5 SEC
Currently projected as an NCAA 4 Seed.

There are 350+ teams in D-1 Basketball.
Average coaches don't make it to the NIT, much less to the Dance. o_O

Last edited:
When Billy won 22 games in year 3 it was the fifth time in Gator history that the team won 20. It was something like 18-20 in a row after that.
Plus Billy has more NCAA appearance than all the other UF coaches combined. No to mention NCAA wins, SEC Titles and SEC-T titles.

Billy built our brand. It is up to White to continue it. Last year he did just that. But doing so is not a static accomplishment.

Plus the Odome is upgraded 100 percent, the practice facility is nice. None of that was there when Billy started.

NBA players to point to: Beal, Speights, David Lee, Horford, Noah, Mike Miller, Jason Williams, Bonner...

He program was a bit different back when Billy D took over.

Look at who you're responding to. The king of posting meaningless stats with no context whatsoever. But he think he's enlightened because he's a copy and paste specialist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT