ADVERTISEMENT

will ole miss make a run at Mike White?

Fevered brain, there is no 'letting' involved when the other team is hitting 60+% of their 3's. That would be an incredible % in practice vs air... o_O

As to the 'letting Mizzou score' goes....
Two things that no coach can control:
The Officials calls or no-calls.
The other teams shooting percentage.
Mizzou - FG 32/53 61.5% -- 3's 12/19 63.2% -- FT 15-20 75%
It didn't matter if they were guarded or not,,, they were on fire! :eek:

Ocala, you are entitled to your own opinions on officials, and welcome to them. o_O
Your opinion doesn't change mine, and vice-versa I'm sure... :cool:

Your statement on total fouls called on each team is a bogus stat in this instance.
Just as an example....
UF commits 20 fouls and is called on all 20.
Opp commits 50 fouls and is called on 25 of them.
UF 20 calls, Opp 25 fouls, so the officials called a good / fair game.:rolleyes:
Is that your claim? :confused:

Mizzou put up a whopping 41 points tonight....just shy of the 91 they stuck on us

Another fine example of their coach not being able to control his own teams shooting %.
When you're hot you're hot,,, when you're not you're not,,, (and you lose)... o_O

Also the difference between UF's game vs LBSt, :) and against Mizzou... :(
Chit-happens, and so does shooting streaks... :cool:

White's detractors blather... He's inconsistent. :rolleyes:

Consistgency? WTF-over ??? :confused:

20+ win season -- 4 consecutive
Post season tourneys - 4 consecutive (NIT + 3 NCAA's)
NCAA Tourney's, with at least 1 win - 3 consecutive (zero 1 & dones)
~~ 4 Yrs at UF - #2 in SEC wins behind Cal-Cheat at kensucky.
Earning his Conference's Coach of the Year Award -- All 3, MWC, C-USA, SEC
Consistency? Every Conf. that he's been a HC in, he's been awarded a CoY. o_O

1. Billy Donovan to 100 wins at UF = 154 games
2. Mike White to 100 wins at UF = 158 games
JMOHO of course, but White detractors = village idiots up on their wall... :cool:

Thomas Goldkamp Just said in his article earlier this week - the most consistent thing about UF basketball under White is inconsistency.

Reactions: ocalaman
Thomas Goldkamp Just said in his article earlier this week - the most consistent thing about UF basketball under White is inconsistency.
Goldkamp hits the nail on the head, IMO. Here's a link to the article. https://247sports.com/college/flori...tually-a-hallmark-of-Whites-Gators-142086899/

Statistics are for losers. The University of Florida should expect titles. Anytime any sport at UF doesn't win a championship of some kind after 5 years, most fans and the AD normally start looking for a change. Why should men's basketball be any different? If winning 20 games a year, finishing in the upper middle of the SEC and just making a 68 team NCAA tournament field is good enough for some people, then Mike White seems to be your guy. Billy Donovan won the SEC regular season title in his 4th, 5th and 6th seasons and was NCAA runner-up in season #4. I continue to pull for White and the Gator basketball team, just like I do for all other Gator coaches and athletes. But Just OK is not OK with me and I will continue to voice my opinion, both positive and negative, about all Gator programs when I believe it is justified.

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
White's detractors blather... He's inconsistent. :rolleyes:

Consistgency? WTF-over ??? :confused:

20+ win season -- 4 consecutive
Post season tourneys - 4 consecutive (NIT + 3 NCAA's)
NCAA Tourney's, with at least 1 win - 3 consecutive (zero 1 & dones)
~~ 4 Yrs at UF - #2 in SEC wins behind Cal-Cheat at kensucky.
Earning his Conference's Coach of the Year Award -- All 3, MWC, C-USA, SEC
Consistency? Every Conf. that he's been a HC in, he's been awarded a CoY. o_O

1. Billy Donovan to 100 wins at UF = 154 games
2. Mike White to 100 wins at UF = 158 games
JMOHO of course, but White detractors = village idiots up on their wall... :cool:
So at what point do we expect to win the SEC? Year 6? 7,8 or 9? White needs to put some type of banner up. I don't think that's unreasonable.

So at what point do we expect to win the SEC? Year 6? 7,8 or 9? White needs to put some type of banner up. I don't think that's unreasonable.

completely agree. Season like this one, Kentucky relatively down, Gators returning three starters with some 5 stars and the best transfer player in the country this year, should be an opportunity. If you compare to other Top SEC coaches, they have all won power 5 leagues: Pearl in the SEC, Cal, Crean won the Big 10 twice I believe, Barnes won the Big 12 and the SEC already, Howland won the PAC 10 multiple times.

And Thomas Goldkamp is so B-Ball smart that he's being paid millions to coach a team to NC's,,,, right? :rolleyes:

His own biased 'bought and paid for' opinion carries no more weight than unpaid for your's or mine....:cool:

List all of the teams/coaches what have consistently gone to 4 consecutive post season tourneys.

List all of the teams/coaches that have consistently gone to the Dance and won at least 1 game the last 3 seasons.

Finally, list all of the coaches that have consistently been awarded CoY in all three conferences that they have been a HC in... o_O

What I expect to hear back from Mike's detractors, is either more senseless drivel, or crickets. :oops:

UF should expect titles???
Because in their entire century plus history, one coach won 2 in his 20 seasons...
What a crock of over-rated, egotistical crap.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: sadgator
And Thomas Goldkamp is so B-Ball smart that he's being paid millions to coach a team to NC's,,,, right? :rolleyes:

His own biased 'bought and paid for' opinion carries no more weight than unpaid for your's or mine....:cool:

List all of the teams/coaches what have consistently gone to 4 consecutive post season tourneys.

List all of the teams/coaches that have consistently gone to the Dance and won at least 1 game the last 3 seasons.

Finally, list all of the coaches that have consistently been awarded CoY in all three conferences that they have been a HC in... o_O

What I expect to hear back from Mike's detractors, is either more senseless drivel, or crickets. :oops:

UF should expect titles???
Because in their entire century plus history, one coach won 2 in his 20 seasons...
What a crock of over-rated, egotistical crap.... :rolleyes:
How many SEC titles did Billy win? Hell, even Norm Sloan won a regular season title.

Right on time, cherry picked drivel... :rolleyes:

But here ya go, how many of them took over a losing record team and went to an Elite-8 and SEC CoY in their 2nd season? o_O

Ans: NO FREAKIN' BODY, INCLUDING BILLY-D... :cool::p:cool:

The year before Billy’s last year didn’t we go 36-3 and to the final four? He lost a majority of that team.

Let’s not try and compare White to Billy D. It isn’t even a close comparison.

IMO and I have said this for awhile. Billy D is the best coach the University of Florida has ever had in any sport when you take everything into consideration.

How many SEC titles did Billy win? Hell, even Norm Sloan won a regular season title.
You gotta be shitting sadgator? You know how difficult it is to win the SEC in basketball right? Sloan won the SEC for the first time in 1989 after like 100 years of Florida hoops.

Billy won the league like 6 times in the entire time he was here.

And the SEC b-ball tournament title is one of the hardest things to win in all of our sports.

Respectfully, your expectations are completely out of whack...

Reactions: instaGATOR
You gotta be shitting sadgator? You know how difficult it is to win the SEC in basketball right? Sloan won the SEC for the first time in 1989 after like 100 years of Florida hoops.

And the SEC b-ball tournament title is one of the hardest things to win in all of our sports.

I don’t think it’s out of whack to expect UF to win an SEC title, regular season or tourney, once in 5 years. Billy D won the regular season 6 times in 19 years, that’s about once every three years. Plus he won the tourney 4 times. Rick Barnes, who we all mocked when Tennessee hired him, has already won the SEC. And he won the Big 12 twice. Bruce Pearl has already won the SEC regular season and tourney at Auburn. So if your point is that those guys are better than Mike White and we shouldn’t expect similar results, then I’m afraid I’m starting to agree with you.

White is young. And he shows some promise. He recruits well, and his teams play hard. But I think a conference title every five years is a completely legit expectation. And by the way, he’s got an opportunity to win one or two this year. UK and Tennessee are down a bit and Auburn just lost to ‘Bama, so we should be right there.

Reactions: ocalaman

Don't we hire coaches with the expectation of winning titles? I would think any successful AD would have some type of expectation around this? Year 5 and it's unlikely we get it done this year, so that means year 6.? Maybe I'm missing something?

Reactions: PacoGator19
I don’t think it’s out of whack to expect UF to win an SEC title, regular season or tourney, once in 5 years. Billy D won the regular season 6 times in 19 years, that’s about once every three years. Plus he won the tourney 4 times. Rick Barnes, who we all mocked when Tennessee hired him, has already won the SEC. And he won the Big 12 twice. Bruce Pearl has already won the SEC regular season and tourney at Auburn. So if your point is that those guys are better than Mike White and we shouldn’t expect similar results, then I’m afraid I’m starting to agree with you.

White is young. And he shows some promise. He recruits well, and his teams play hard. But I think a conference title every five years is a completely legit expectation. And by the way, he’s got an opportunity to win one or two this year. UK and Tennessee are down a bit and Auburn just lost to ‘Bama, so we should be right there.
good post and I agree.

Last year against Arkansas, Fr PG Andrew Nembhard, who ended the game with a textbook rhythm 3-pointer from the top of the key that splashed at the buzzer, gave UF its 19th win and put the Gators in the SEC Tournament semifinals for the first time in 5 years.
That win, basically, put them in the NCAA Tournament, as well.

I posted this on another thread, but have copied and pasted it for this one as well because I have been critical of Mike White quite often.

Excellent, much-needed win by the Gators. Here are my observations:

Auburn is not nearly as good as last year and their record to this point was just a reflection of a pansy schedule. The 4 starters last year that played with Doughty were much better than the 4 with him this year, especially the guards. They play hard, especially on defense, and it took the Gators awhile to adjust to the overplay pressure.

Mike White made a great move inserting Payne into the starting lineup a couple of games ago and he was tremendous today. White, also, judiciously used Nemhard today, but had him on the floor at the most critical times. Andrew missed the last 2 practices due to flu-like symptoms and was not up to par today. But when he was on the floor, turnovers were limited and the offense moved much more smoothly. The majority of our turnovers came when he was not on the court, especially in the first half after he picked up 2 fouls and went to the bench, forcing, Glover, Mann & Locke to handle the ball. Our defense was smothering today and that set the tone for the offense. I still don;t understand why Blackshear settles for so many lazy 3's, but he was a force on defense and on the boards. Great team win, as they played their best game of the year, IMO.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Agreed Ocala. Once we got the turnovers under control we ran them out of the gym. Had we the same amount of turnovers in the first half as the second half we may have won by 30. Free throws really helped Barn in the first half too as they were 10 for 10 while we were 3 for 4.

The Gators improve across the season every year.
Can't possibly be a result of good coaching though... :rolleyes:

Last season's Final Four coach came in at 15-1 and #4 ranked,,, so what did the say? o_O

"Florida played great defensively and their coach ran some really great stuff. We had a lot of trouble with their ball-screen offense," said Auburn coach Bruce Pearl, whose team was held 17 points below its previous season low of 64. "They broke us down off the bounce and were able to turn the corners."

So it seems that Pearl thinks a lot more of White as a B-Ball coach,,,, than some of the clueless Gator fans do.... :cool:

The best passing/Ast PG in UF history. JMOHO of course... :cool:

Glover should watch this at least once a week, to learn the job of a PG...

Glover is lightning fast, but right now he's a liability when on the floor. He is very undersized and opposing the better guards take advantage of the discrepancy in height & eight to post him up or work in for easy, uncontested jumpers. Plus he turns it over way too much and mainly looks to get himself a shot instead of being a distributor. He has potential and will get better with maturity, but when Nembhard goes to the bench the team suffers.

Reactions: bradleygator
Glover and Mann are both having some trouble adjusting to the more complex job of a guard at the college level. As they mature and Mike works with them, they should both continue to improve their overall job performance. Time will tell....

Jason was a gym-rat that spent the time necessary to prefect all of his incredible moves.
There are just not many that are willing to spend the time and energy to refine their skills.
And that's why Jason stands out like he did.

While Glover is watching tape of Jason Williams,,,,,,
Tre Mann should watch tape and do a study on Larry Bird....

Bird would go stand under the basket.
He would shoot the ball until he made 6 made baskets in a row.
Then he would take a full step back and repeat.
Then he would take a full step back and repeat.
Then he would continue......:cool:
"People would ask me how I made all those different pressure shots, and I'd tell then that I'd already made so many of them in practice that it was easy." -- Bird

And that's why the Bird never had a 1 for 6 night from the arc.... o_O

It's always comes down to choices.
Practice hard to develop your skill set.
Study hard and get a good degree.
(preferably do both at -- Top-10 Athletics, Top 10 Academics -- UF)
Or get use to saying the phrase,,, would you like fries with that order.... :rolleyes:
======

But a lot more goes into a games outcome than just the coach and his game plan.
https://florida.rivals.com/news/gators-hoops-playing-through-fatigue-sickness

PS

* 0 — Florida regular-season games against No. 1-ranked opponents other than Kentucky during the 66 seasons from 1949 to 2015.

* 4 — Florida regular-season games against No. 1-ranked opponents other than Kentucky during the five seasons from 2015-20, all during White's tenure (at Michigan State in '15; vs. Duke in '17; at Tennessee in '19; now Baylor).

Last edited:
Just some straight up FACTS.
What you do or don't do with them is of course, up to each of you... :cool:
==========

Current SEC Teams Projected NCAA Seedings per NCAA / Andy Katz:
4- AU
4 - UK
6 - LSU
9. Florida
9 - Ark
With others on the bubble...

Gator's 2019-20 season so far: 15-9 - 7-4 SEC tied 4th
According to the experts and commentators, they still have ZERO bad losses (warts) on their season record. o_O
>>> Note: 9-2 AU leads the SEC, but they lost by 22 Pt's to Mike's team. :eek:

The Gators are the YOUNGEST team in the SEC.
They are also the #344 youngest team in all of D1 (353) B-Ball.
For those that haven't figured it out yet, youth and inconsistency often go together.... :rolleyes:
BPI 32 -- NET 44 -- SoS 37/353

In response to Mike's coaching demands, 'do this or take a seat:'
"We were really sharing it better,"
Locke said. "We made sure everybody was touching the ball and it led to good shots." o_O
=====

iG's mantra on shooting %: All other things being equal;
"Make your shots and win, don't make your shots and lose."

On the season for Gator 3's: The real over/under....
They are 3-6 (.333) when shooting under 30% from the arc.
They are 12-3 (.800) when shooting over 30% from the arc.
So, when Mike makes his shots, :confused: his offense is pretty good... :D

BTW - At 11.8 TO's per game, Mike's Gators lead the SEC in smallest TO/Gm average
=====

Taco's perception: Shooters ALWAYS digress under Mike White's coaching.

UF's sophomore class of Andrew Nembhard, Noah Locke and Keyontae Johnson scored 55 points and hit 21 of 37 (56.8%) shots in the Gators' 78-61 (+17) win Wednesday night @ Texas A&M, against one of the better defenses in the SEC.

FG% - UF .519 -- aTm .426
3's - UF .444 -- aTm .261
FT's - UF.857 -- aTm .652
~~ Except when they don't.... ;) :p :D

The shooting/scoring opportunities were created, according to their coach, by the best ball movement of the season so far. It was a major point of coaching emphasis during practices the last two days.

In fact, White actually benched his standout playmaker in the first half due to a trio of traveling calls through the first 10 minutes. Nembhard sat, but then he responded like the floor general he is expected to be. (coaching???) :cool:
"Andrew was really good," White said. "And he showed some toughness out there on that bum ankle, (sprained in Ole Miss loss)."

=====

"Their team is so good," Texas A&M coach Buzz Williams said. "They put stress on you in every possible way."

Just some straight up FACTS.
What you do or don't do with them is of course, up to each of you... :cool:
==========

4- AU
4 - UK
6 - LSU
9. Florida
9 - Ark

Gator's 2019-20 season so far: 15-9 - 7-4 SEC tied 4th
According to the experts and commentators, they still have ZERO bad losses (warts) on their season record. o_O
>>> Note: 9-2 AU leads the SEC, but they lost by 22 Pt's to Mike's team. :eek:

The Gators are the YOUNGEST team in the SEC.
They are also the #344 youngest team in all of D1 (353) B-Ball.
For those that haven't figured it out yet, youth and inconsistency often go together.... :rolleyes:
BPI 32 -- NET 44 -- SoS 37/353

In response to Mike's coaching demands, 'do this or take a seat:'
"We were really sharing it better,"
Locke said. "We made sure everybody was touching the ball and it led to good shots." o_O
=====

iG's mantra on shooting %: All other things being equal;
"Make your shots and win, don't make your shots and lose."

On the season for Gator 3's: The real over/under....
They are 3-6 (.333) when shooting under 30% from the arc.
They are 12-3 (.800) when shooting over 30% from the arc.
So, when Mike makes his shots, :confused: his offense is pretty good... :D

BTW - At 11.8 TO's per game, Mike's Gators lead the SEC in smallest TO/Gm average
=====

Taco's perception: Shooters ALWAYS digress under Mike White's coaching.

UF's sophomore class of Andrew Nembhard, Noah Locke and Keyontae Johnson scored 55 points and hit 21 of 37 (56.8%) shots in the Gators' 78-61 (+17) win Wednesday night @ Texas A&M, against one of the better defenses in the SEC.

FG% - UF .519 -- aTm .426
3's - UF .444 -- aTm .261
FT's - UF.857 -- aTm .652
~~ Except when they don't.... ;) :p :D

The shooting/scoring opportunities were created, according to their coach, by the best ball movement of the season so far. It was a major point of coaching emphasis during practices the last two days.

In fact, White actually benched his standout playmaker in the first half due to a trio of traveling calls through the first 10 minutes. Nembhard sat, but then he responded like the floor general he is expected to be. (coaching???) :cool:
"Andrew was really good," White said. "And he showed some toughness out there on that bum ankle, (sprained in Ole Miss loss)."

=====

"Their team is so good," Texas A&M coach Buzz Williams said. "They put stress on you in every possible way."

9 seed is squarely on the bubble. The projections I have read is that 4-3 the rest of the way has us on the bubble but probably in, 5-2 is in and 3-4 is out. Although I will say UF could certainly win a couple games in the SECT and maybe even win the thing, so we've probably got a bit more leeway.

Vandy, home vs. Arky and @UGA should be automatics for a tourney team, so we need 2 wins out of: @ UK, home vs. LSU, @UT and home vs. UK.

I feel like this post is an annual tradition for the Mike White Gators.

9 seed is squarely on the bubble. The projections I have read is that 4-3 the rest of the way has us on the bubble but probably in, 5-2 is in and 3-4 is out. Although I will say UF could certainly win a couple games in the SECT and maybe even win the thing, so we've probably got a bit more leeway.

Vandy, home vs. Arky and @UGA should be automatics for a tourney team, so we need 2 wins out of: @ UK, home vs. LSU, @UT and home vs. UK.

I feel like this post is an annual tradition for the Mike White Gators.
On-The-Bubble Mike - I like it!

Reactions: bradleygator
Yep, 3x CoY, in 3 different conferences.
4 Consecutive Post Season Tourneys: NIT quarter-final, followed by 3 NCAA's.
ZERO 'one and dones' on his resume.
4 Consecutive 20+ win seasons with a 2nd year Elite-8 thrown in.
The past 2 NCAA's accomplished without a true center (injured).
And this season without the upperclassman center Gak that never recovered.

On the bubble fans is more like it.... :cool:
==========

4- AU
4 - UK
6 - LSU
9. Florida
9 - Ark

Others considered for at-large bid (in no particular order): Virginia Commonwealth, Mississippi State, Syracuse, St. Johns, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Tulsa, SMU, TCU, Alabama, South Carolina, Oregon State, Saint Louis, Clemson, UNC-Greensboro, Utah, Furman, Texas, Utah State, Providence.

On life support (in no particular order): Mississippi, Washington State, Connecticut, Washington, Georgia, Duquesne, Miami (Fla.), DePaul, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech.

Multi-bid conferences: Big Ten (11), Big East (6), Pac-12 (6), SEC (5), Big 12 (5), ACC (4), American (3), West Coast (3), Atlantic 10 (2).

And that's your idea of the SEC being terrible this season? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT