ADVERTISEMENT

will ole miss make a run at Mike White?

They'd probably like to have him, but I don't think anyone's leaving Florida basketball for Ole Miss, even if its his alma mater.

Maybe if he was feeling some heat, but he'd have to miss the next two tournaments to really start feeling it.

I like White, but jury is definitely still out on him. The thing I have my eye on with him is that we're in year 3, and all our best players are still Donovan recruits or transfers.

If he gets this team into the tournament, I'd be pretty impressed.
I hope Mike White makes an exception as far as your 1st paragraph.

The #1 AD in the Nation (by most) hired both BillyD and Mike White.
The new AD gave him a raise and a contract extension to 2024-25 to keep him.
He hired Al Pinkins away from TxTech in 2018 to coach the Bigs.
Nobody on his teams academically ineligible.
Nobody on his teams embarrassing UF by getting arrested.
He just brought in the #8 (of 353) recruiting class with 2 MickyD-AA's.

Meeting the over-all Gator Standards consistently... o_O

"UF morphed into a team that basically played a rotation of 9 players, with 8 of them either freshmen or sophomores, plus Grad-xfer Blackshear. They finished with a 19-12 record — against one of the most difficult schedules in the country that would have insured the program a 4th straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.": Chris Harry - Senior UF Writer
==========

~ CMW, with the youngest team, vs one of the most difficult schedules, with only a 9 deep roster. Again competing without his returning rsSr center, Gorjok Gak. :(

~~ The 10th guy played limited minutes (rsJr PF Bassett) only played in 17 of the 31 games, as injuries limited his continued development and his playing time. He was just now beginning to make his way back at seasons's end. -- iG.

Virtually nobody (except maybe iG ;)) expected or believed that Dan would win 10, then 11 games his 1st 2 seasons.

Just like nobody expected CMW to take a loser (16-17) roster to 20 wins and the NIT Quarter Finals. Then take the next 4 teams to 20+ wins and 4 consecutive NCAA's. Along the way this season, UF captured its 1st regular-season tournament title in a decade by winning the Charleston (S.C.) Classic. The Gators obliterated Providence by 32 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y..

They also staged 2 of the greatest comebacks in the program history in rallying from 21 down to beat Alabama and 22 down to defeat Georgia. They clobbered No. 4 Auburn/Pearl by 22 Pt's on national TV, and christened "Billy Donovan Court" with a (season sweep) victory over Vanderbilt on its dedication night, with the former icon coach in the house. Those were among the Gator's season's highlights.

Coach White, due to the Co-V shortened schedule, fell one victory shy of becoming just the 4th coach in SEC history to win at least 20 games in each of his first 5 seasons in the league. (a Top 4 coach in SEC history, so let's fire his incompetent azz...) :rolleyes:
Does that really matter, since already being named a CoY in 3 different conferences including the SEC doesn't seem to? :cool:

But now both head coaches are failures if they don't win SEC/Natl.Championships for the small sniveling whiny contingent of arrogant egotistical fans. o_O
IMOHO, the vast majority of the loyal Gator Nation just walks away, shaking their heads..... :oops:

What some don't seem to realize or remember, is that SEC football didn't win 7 consecutive NC during SOS's time at UF, nor was the SEC putting 4-7 teams into the Big Dance every year during BillyD's time. It's a lot tougher time now than it was back then as the SEC continues to grow and improve across the board. In the iG's OHO, going to and winning NY-6 Bowls and getting 20+ wins and a Dance invite, are both big deals for any relatively young HC's.
=====

FYI -- Gak, and now Bassett (knee & calf injuries) have their names in the xfer portal.
Blackshear will be gone, unless he wants to come back and the NCAA allows it.
For now, none of these 3 (Nembhard-Johnson-Lewis) show up in the majority of current mock drafts,,, which could be a huge plus for Gator fans, (iG crosses fingers). ;)

~ They all have to decide what they want. Continue to enjoy college :), or go get a job...... :(
College was iG's happiest, and the most enjoyable time in my life by far :D, then I got a job. :mad:

Last edited:
If we can bring back Nembhard, Locke, Johnson and the 5 freshman that is a really strong core. Losing Bassett will hurt depth for sure, but he doesn't appear to be starter caliber. Important year for White. He needs to have us contending for SEC title and deep tourney run. His seat isn't hot, but after 5 seasons with no title of any kind it is certainly warm.

Hard to tell what these kids will decide. I'm sure all college athletes are kind of numb right now with everything on hold. Good luck to Bassett and Gak. Gak was hurt all the time, so we'll never know if he would have been a major contributor, but the little he played seemed to indicate he was a project role player. Bassett came in highly touted, but just never developed and got passed up by younger guys. The way the NCAA tends to screw things up and make irrational, delayed decisions, I'm not counting on a smooth resolution to what happens to athletes in regards to eligibility, scholarship limits, etc. But Florida will come out of it in better shape than most athletic departments simply because we are better than most athletic departments.

His seat isn't hot, but after 5 seasons with no title of any kind it is certainly warm.

Come on Country, please don't become a 'fevered-brain.' :confused:

UF captured its 1st regular-season tournament title in a decade by winning the Charleston (S.C.) Classic. The Gators obliterated Providence by 32 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y..

Coach White, due to the Co-V shortened schedule, fell one victory shy of becoming just the 4th coach in SEC history to win at least 20 games in each of his first 5 seasons in the league. (a Top 4 coach in SEC history, so let's fire his incompetent azz...) :rolleyes:

Does that really matter, since already being named a CoY in 3 different conferences including the SEC doesn't seem to? :cool:

If you want to win the SEC or a Championship...get to the final 4 better be at 20 or more by the end of the season.

The Gators/CMW only lost by 6 Pts to #6 UK @ Rupp. :eek:

The were leading by 17 in the O'Dome, then Blackshear went down in the 1st half and the 2 Fr Bigs couldn't handle one of the best bigs in the SEC, or they would have had 20 wins by season's end. :oops:

Injury to the bigs have hurt the team the last 3 seasons, but CMW has still made the Dance, or he would have if not for the Co-V fiasco... o_O

Also, in his 4 post season tourneys, CMW had never been a one & done... :cool:

Because HoF BillyD had 20 wins by mid-season every year,,, right? :confused: --- :rolleyes:
I didn't know anybody gets excited with barely 20 wins to end the season.
Please Ole Piss, please steal Mike White from us. Hire him the same way Minnesota hired away Tubby Smith from UK.

Come on Country, please don't become a 'fevered-brain.' :confused:

UF captured its 1st regular-season tournament title in a decade by winning the Charleston (S.C.) Classic. The Gators obliterated Providence by 32 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y..

LOL! Good one! Oh, wait, you're serious.

Reactions: gatordad3
As I've said before to the negative nellies here.

Foley hired both HoF BillyD, and Mike White.
Scott Stricklin gave Mike a nice raise and extension to keep him at UF.

The vast majority of Gator Nation.
The UF Admin.
The UAA.
The past and current AD's
All agree with me on Mike White's quality as the Head B-Ball coach.

While the few whiners here can agree with each other & continue to suck their thumbs... :p

The cost to buy-out CMW's contract would be.....
1.75 Mil x 5 = 6.25 Million Dollars, (plus the cost of a new coach(s).

And IF you fired a coach with 20+ win seasons and an Elite-8 SEC CoY record,,,,
then what coach in his right mind would want to come in and try to take over at at school that is NOT considered a blueblood basketball school? (And before a Taco starts, 2019-20 would have likely been a 20+ win season with 2 Tourneys to go, and with them coming on at the end of the season.)
==========

"Stricklin echoed White, who pointed out many of the issues with this season’s team could be traced to youth and inexperience." Four first-year players, Lewis, Tre Mann, Ques Glover and Omar Payne averaged at least 15 minutes.
~ iG - And that was compounded by Gak never recovering, Basset only playing 17 games due to injuries, and Blackshear going out in the 1st half vs UK to end the season. Factual reasons are NOT excuses, except for whiners or rivals.... o_O

“You looked out there a lot of times and there were 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores or 4 freshmen and a sophomore, or something like that,” Stricklin said.

Who leaves and who stays for the 2020-21 season remains to be seen.
Here are the 5 additions to next years team. -- The Gators currently have 10 scholarship players, including SF Anthony Duruji and PG Tyree Appleby, a pair of promising transfers who sat out last season. White also will welcome SG Niels Lane, SF Samson Ruzhentsev and PF Osayi Osifo, the #1 rated JuCo transfer. Without any losses from the current roster, there will be 13 on ship and available for next season. (iG crosses fingers)

“I know the way the year ended left a bitter taste because I think they (and most Gator fans) were excited to have the postseason as a chance to kind of finish strong and that was taken away,” Stricklin said. “They’re going to have to take that energy and put it into next year.”

Some of that was lifted from an Orlando Sentinel article by Edgar Thompson, 3-19-2020.

Last edited:
And right on time, a whining dog-poker arrives to spread his usual crap... :cool:
I like how you just skipped right over my last post, to throw your usual chit on the wall.

Unless the few negative Nellie twits posting here believe that they are in some vast majority. :rolleyes:

And right on time, a whining dog-poker arrives to spread his usual crap... :cool:
I like how you just skipped right over my last post, to throw your usual chit on the wall.

Unless the few negative Nellie twits posting here believe that they are in some vast majority. :rolleyes:

You’re FOS as usual, because you have no evidence to support “vast majority “
-
Nothing but anecdotal, feel good, bourbon induced, sunshine pumping, unquestioning, Insta euphoria

You’re FOS as usual, because you have no evidence to support “vast majority “
-
Nothing but anecdotal, feel good, bourbon induced, sunshine pumping, unquestioning, Insta euphoria

I have all the evidence that the 'everyone want's to fire CMW' crowd has, and more.
UF Admin
UAA
Past & Present AD's (raise & contract extension)
BillyD's endorsement of CMW (otherwise, he'd remain silent, not lie through his teeth)
Which is more than a clueless mouth-breather has or will ever have.

And at least I'm not poking an Irish setter for my entertainment. :rolleyes:

Insta’s a great guy... but yeah he’s a pumper.

Watching the UK-UF BB replay on SECN right now... great win.

Great Win for a kensucky fan? :confused:
#6 UK 17 Pts down until the unranked Gator's Grad-Sr Big goes down injured late in the 1st half.
Then in the 2nd half, UK's All SEC Big finally has his was vs the 2 Gator Fr Bigs. o_O

You got the win, but sorry, it didn't come with any earned braggin' rights attached... :cool:

Reactions: ukalum1988
Great Win for a kensucky fan? :confused:
#6 UK 17 Pts down until the unranked Gator's Grad-Sr Big goes down injured late in the 1st half.
Then in the 2nd half, UK's All SEC Big finally has his was vs the 2 Gator Fr Bigs. o_O

You got the win, but sorry, it didn't come with any earned braggin' rights attached... :cool:

How about UF getting razzie points for a 2nd half meltdown? Does that feel better?

It appears that at least one analyst believes in Mike White and his 2020-21 team.

Bart Torvik, owner and developer of T-Rank, focuses on statistics and analytics similar to the KenPom ratings to evaluate teams and issue his projections. He's extremely high on Florida heading into 2020-21. Torvik's T-Rank tabbed Florida at No. 8 in the country and projected a 23-8 season with a 13-5 mark in the SEC. That would be the second-best season coach Mike White has put together at Florida, trailing only an Elite Eight run in 2016-17 that saw the Gators go 27-9 with a 14-4 mark in the SEC. No Florida players have publicly announced an early departure decision yet. (let's all hope it stays that way....iG)

Of course opinions vary across the board, but it's Top 30 of 353 at the least....

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ytics-based-projection-for-2020-21-145738293/

It appears that at least one analyst believes in Mike White and his 2020-21 team.

Bart Torvik, owner and developer of T-Rank, focuses on statistics and analytics similar to the KenPom ratings to evaluate teams and issue his projections. He's extremely high on Florida heading into 2020-21. Torvik's T-Rank tabbed Florida at No. 8 in the country and projected a 23-8 season with a 13-5 mark in the SEC. That would be the second-best season coach Mike White has put together at Florida, trailing only an Elite Eight run in 2016-17 that saw the Gators go 27-9 with a 14-4 mark in the SEC. No Florida players have publicly announced an early departure decision yet. (let's all hope it stays that way....iG)

Of course opinions vary across the board, but it's Top 30 of 353 at the least....

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ytics-based-projection-for-2020-21-145738293/
We were top 10 pre-season this last year also. How did that work out? I’m not going to put too much stock into pre-season rankings when it comes to a Mike White coached basketball team quite yet.
If you just went by pre-season rankings and how you finished up I would guess UF was probably one of the most underachieving teams in the country.

This past season was a bummer for sure. Such high expectations only to be struggling to even make the field of 68. No clue about next season. We need to see what AN does. I believe everyone else will be back....well except KB who was a senior.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Knowing what a poor coach that Mike White is, all of his eligible players are leaving early.
DoH!!! :eek:

CG/SF Scottie Lewis announces he will return for his Soph season! YEE-HAW!!! :D

Lewis averaged 8.5 points and 3.6 rebounds during his freshman season and led the Gators with 36 blocked shots, the first guard ever to lead UF in that category.

Apparently his players don't agree with some of the whiners here....
:p

https://floridagators.com/news/2020/4/6/mens-basketball-lewis-to-return-for-sophomore-season.aspx

Great news about Lewis. Waiting to see what Nembhard and Johnson decide to do. Pretty sure Locke & Mann will be back. NBADraft.Net has Johnson as the #74 player in the 2020 draft, Nembhard at #92. There are only 2 rounds and 60 picks in the draft, so it seems to me they would be better coming back for another year. Early projections for the 2021 draft has Lewis going as pick #40, Nembhard at #43 and Johnson at #59. Here's the link to that website. https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2021

The 04's stayed through their Jr season, won 2 NC's, and were the first team in NCAA history to have 3 player taken in the Top 10 picks of the NBA draft.
All 3 of them are 100 millionaires at this point. :eek:

And 13 years later, all 3 of them are still playing in the NBA.
There really is no reason to rush out of college life,,, for a J-O-B.... :cool:

You can get 4 years of that kind of college living only once. :D
Then you can get a J-O-B for the rest of your life...:oops:
I just can't see being in a hurry, unless your Momma needs some expensive life-saving operations. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Great news about Lewis. Waiting to see what Nembhard and Johnson decide to do. Pretty sure Locke & Mann will be back. NBADraft.Net has Johnson as the #74 player in the 2020 draft, Nembhard at #92. There are only 2 rounds and 60 picks in the draft, so it seems to me they would be better coming back for another year. Early projections for the 2021 draft has Lewis going as pick #40, Nembhard at #43 and Johnson at #59. Here's the link to that website. https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2021
Cleveland St PG who averaged I believe 15 points per game will be eligible. Would love to have AN back but I feel like we will be fine at the PG position.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Cleveland St PG who averaged I believe 15 points per game will be eligible. Would love to have AN back but I feel like we will be fine at the PG position.
I remember Chiozza going thru some growing pains(like Glover) early in his UF career. I sure hope Ques Glover ends up as good as Chiozza in his last 2 seasons.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I remember Chiozza going thru some growing pains(like Glover) early in his UF career. I sure hope Ques Glover ends up as good as Chiozza in his last 2 seasons.
Glover showed some flashes. He is really great defensively in the open court, but a liability in the half court.

Glover had to carry his team in HS and so he learned to play in a certain way. That was needed then, so it was okay. Now he has to develop into a D-1 player that has to be a part of an over-all talented team, not the focal point. Takes some adjustments. Even after the mind understands, it still takes the body a while to adjust to the new demands.

Mike White was a solid SEC (Ole Miss) PG.
Mike has already coached 2 PG's to being the career assist record holders for their schools. ('Speedy' @ LaTech & 'the cheese' @ UF) :eek:

Under Coach White’s guidance:
~ Kenneth 'Speedy' Smith totaled a LaTech career assist record - 858 assists and holds the nation’s best total over the past four seasons. Smith was also the country’s single-season leader with 278 season assists.
~ The 'Cheese' Chiozza set the UF career assist record - 571 assists and became the 2nd player in UF history to dish 200+ assists in a season. The 'cheese' also became the 1st Gator in more than 20 years to record a 25-point, 10-assist performance.

Andrew could prolly play at the Pro level somewhere else, but he's not yet prepared to play at the NBA level imo. His best developmental bet, is another year at UF, but we'll see. :cool: --- I thought the same about Mike Miller when he left UF early, but he proved both me and Magic Johnson wrong on that one, (NBA Rookie of the Year).... :oops:
Then again, Andrew (from what I've seen so far) ain't no Mike Miller,,, yet.... ;)

White does a good job developing point guards. It is the one position that clearly shows improvement. The others leave a little to be desired at times in terms of progression. If AN does leave, Mann can play point, Glover and the transfer.

White does a good job developing point guards. It is the one position that clearly shows improvement. The others leave a little to be desired at times in terms of progression. If AN does leave, Mann can play point, Glover and the transfer.

There are other excellent coaches to help with the other positions.
The addition of Al Pinkins is just one example of this.
Injuries have been the weak point so far imo, not something any coach can cure.
Improving the overall roster is a work in progress, but Mike is doing well in that area.

Current roster that have done well and-or improved while at UF.
Bassett
Nembhard
Locke
Johnson
Lewis
Jitoboh

Mike's xfers have also done well, like 3-Gor and SEC 6th man of the year Barry.
Mann was a little bit of a disappointment, but he was coming around by the end of the season, as was Glover.

Consistent shooting % was the killer this season imo, but they would have still been in their 5th consecutive post season Tourney, 4th consecutive NCAA, and 20+ win seasons, (if not for the Co-V fiasco) -- With the SEC Tourney and NCAA Tourney yet to go.

Mike's progression has been excellent for a relatively new young coach imoho.
Being a 4.0 kind of a person off the court has been a real nice bonus. :)
When his current contract is up, then will be the time to take a more critical look at his job performance. Until then, I'll continue to support his rock solid efforts.

Last edited:
What to do in a Co-V instigated dead period???
Well, there's always beating the dead horse to accomplish.... ;) -- :D

Coach Mike White's Resume' (in part only, tip of the iceberg)

Coaching Record - 190-93 .671 -- At UF 89-53 .627 (in his 1st 8-4 seasons)
Overall - 23.75 wins/season - At UF 22.25 wins/season.vs monster SoS's.
The 2019-20 (9th) season was cut short by the Co-V fiasco.
19-12 -- 11-7 SEC, with the SEC & NCAA Tourneys un-played).

~~ 20 win seasons are a basic water mark that all coaches are judged by.
There are 353 teams, but only 1 will be the NC each year.
In the SEC there are 14 teams, but only 1 will be the SEC-C each year.
And when 5-8 SEC teams can make it to the NCAA every year, this ain't the old B-Ball light SEC anymore... o_O

White’s 48 wins through his 1st 2 years rank 4th All Time in SEC history.
Mike took over a 16-17 losing no Tourney team and got 21 wins.

In posting a 6-win improvement over his debut season at UF, White helped the Gators reach 27 wins for just the 8th time in UF history.

Then during the 2017-18 campaign, the Gators put together one of the nation’s top collections of victories and advanced to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. UF’s 6 wins vs. top-25 teams during the regular season tied for most in the country, and its 10 RPI Quadrant 1 victories ranked 2nd nationally. Florida posted a 3rd-place SEC finish in a season that was widely regarded as one of the strongest, if not the strongest, in the conference’s history as eight SEC teams earned NCAA bids.
~ All-SEC PG Chris Chiozza led the conference with 6.2 assists per game and a 3.4 assist-to-turnover ratio.

For those that try to claim that Mike White doesn't know or can't coach offense, there's this:
~~ Florida’s offensive firepower was undeniable,
as 5 different players combined for 22 individual 20-point performances. The Gators twice hit 17 3-pointers in a game (vs. Gonzaga, @ Texas A&M, not chumps), which tied for the 3rd-most in a game in Florida history. Overall, in just 3 seasons, 5 of the top 11 single-game 3-point performances in UF history have come during White’s tenure. :cool:

Florida is one of 10 teams in the nation out of 353, that has earned at least one victory in each of the past 3 NCAA's.
A Mike White team has also led the SEC in Scoring D, 3 Pt% D, and in turnover margin. --- Both Offense and Defense from a solid and balanced system.

2018-19 was the first time in 20 years that the Gators started 3 freshmen together.
Fr PG Nembhard 194 Asts, 4th season best in UF history. Named Fr All SEC.
Fr SG Locke's 81 3's set a new UF Fr season record.
Fr SF/PF K.Johnson led the team in rebounds and averaged a 2x-2x in the SEC Tourney. Mike's mid-season meeting with KJ's parents changed KJ for the better, a solid wake-up call.
K.Johnson's 229 Rbs was the 4th most for a Fr in UF history, doing so with only 20 starts after his 'wake-up' call.
No progression by Mike's players? WTF??? :rolleyes:

~ UF also placed 7 players on the SEC Academic Honor Roll, tied for the 2nd-most in UF history.

In just 6 years as a head coach (4+2), Mike had already been awarded Conf. CoY in 3 different conferences, including the SEC in just his 2nd season at UF.

CG/SF Lewis was just awarded Fr All SEC for the 2019-20 season.

So, before trying to talk chit about what Mike White has done, you should go here and inform yourself.... Ignorance is an ugly thing to watch unfold. ;)

It's not but this and but that,,, it's BUTT-HEAD to be whining at this point in time.... :confused:

https://floridagators.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/mike-white/1031

Last edited:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former Florida big man PF Dontay Bassett has picked his transfer destination, announcing his move on social media on Tuesday.

Bassett posted on his Instagram account that he will head to Weber State, where he will be immediately eligible as a graduate transfer.

Bassett struggled with injuries during the shortened 2019-20 campaign, playing in just 17 games. He did not start any of them. He dealt with both a knee injury and a calf injury during the season. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT