ADVERTISEMENT

will ole miss make a run at Mike White?

Former Florida big man Gorjok Gak has found his new home after announcing his intentions to transfer on Dec. 30. He announced via his Instagram account on Sunday that he will be transferring to Cal Baptist (WAC). -- Gak remained on campus at Florida during the spring semester to complete his academics, ensuring he could play as a graduate transfer.

Gak was a total injury bust in his UF career. Too bad, for him and for UF / Coach White....
Still, I wish him well in his final year of eligibility.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ity-from-Florida-Gators-basketball-145976634/

An early look at the Gator's 2020-21 B-Ball Roster: (13 + 2)

PG Andrew Nembhard 6-5 193 Jr - Aurora, Ont. CAN
SG Noah Locke 6-3 207 Jr - Baltimore, MD
SF/PF Keyontae Johnson 6-5 231 Jr - Norfolk, VA
-----
PG Ques Glover 5-11 176 So - Knoxville, TN
CG Tre Mann 6-4 172 So- Gainesville, FL
CG/SF Scottie Lewis 6-5 185 So - Haziet, NJ
PF/C Omar Payne 6-10 223 So - Kissimmee, FL
C Jason Jitoboh 6-11 300 So - Abuja, Nigeria
-----
CG Christopher Sutherland 6-3 170 Queens, NY - Grad-Student W-O
SG Alex Klatsky 6-3 189 rsFr - Colts Neck, NJ - W-O

-----
On the roster xfers, that are becoming eligible in 2020-21.
SF Anthony Duruji 6-7 213 rsJr - Germantown, MD
PG Tyree Appleby 6-1 163 rsJr - Jacksonville, AK
-----
FNG's - 3 signed
PF Osayi Osifo 6-8 215 Jr *** - Cocoa, FL - #1 rated JuCo
SG Neils Lane 6-5 210 Fr **** - Freehold, NJ
SF Samson Ruzheristev 6-6 182 Fr **** - Chattanooga, TN
==========

Who's departing?
PF/C Kerry Blackshear - Grad-Sr
C Gorjok Gak - Grad-rsJr xfer-out
PF Dontay Bassett - Grad-rsJr xfer-out

==========

ESPN's Joe Lunardi has Florida as a No. 6 seed in the South Region for 2020-21, and his bracketology was posted before freshman CG/SF Scottie Lewis announced he'll return to school for his sophomore season.

~~ Preseason rankings vary greatly, from #5 all the way to #29, so we'll see....
One analytics-based projection, Bart Torvik's T-Rank, had Florida ranked as the preseason No. 8 team in the nation last week. Since Lewis' return, the T-Rank has the Gators all the way up to No. 5 nationally, behind only Gonzaga, Virginia, Texas and Wisconsin.

The T-Rank now projects Florida to go 24-7 on the season, with a 13-5 mark in the conference. -- Note: That's with both Nembhard and K.Johnson also returning.
==============

IF that's the available and healthy roster to begin next season, then Katie bar the door.
This old sunshine pumper, :cool: thinks that this team will do what last years team was projected to do, before the injury holes in the roster and the inconsistency happened. :confused:

Last edited:
NEWS FLASH -- MORE GREAT NEWS FOR GATOR FANS :D

Florida junior forward Keyontae Johnson has decided he will be coming back for another year of college basketball. The First-Team All-SEC player will certainly be of help as the Gators try and improve with a roster that continues to mature.

"I can’t wait to get back and play with my brothers again next season!" Johnson wrote. "We’ve got unfinished business & the Gators will be ready to go. I’m excited to keep growing on and off the court with Coach White and our coaching staff here & keep playing in front of the Gator family." o_O

??? Only the PG's get any better under White, right? ----- BS imo.

“He’s been as good as anyone on our team from a production offensively and defensively when you look at the big picture probably for the past month,” White said of Johnson in late February. “Been playing really well. Had some really good possessions offensively, driving it. Continues to get better.”

Seems to me that neither Lewis nor Johnson agree with the CMW haters here... :p

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ohnson-will-return-for-junior-year-146043350/

Last edited:
Getting Johnson back is huge. Probably has the most upside and certainly presents the biggest mismatch opportunity for us.

NEWS FLASH -- MORE GREAT NEWS FOR GATOR FANS :D

Florida junior forward Keyontae Johnson has decided he will be coming back for another year of college basketball. The First-Team All-SEC player will certainly be of help as the Gators try and improve with a roster that continues to mature.4

"I can’t wait to get back and play with my brothers again next season!" Johnson wrote. "We’ve got unfinished business & the Gators will be ready to go. I’m excited to keep growing on and off the court with Coach White and our coaching staff here & keep playing in front of the Gator family." o_O

??? Only the PG's get any better under White, right? ----- BS imo.

“He’s been as good as anyone on our team from a production offensively and defensively when you look at the big picture probably for the past month,” White said of Johnson in late February. “Been playing really well. Had some really good possessions offensively, driving it. Continues to get better.”

Seems to me that neither Lewis nor Johnson agree with the CMW haters here... :p

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ohnson-will-return-for-junior-year-146043350/

Wise young man. Hopefully Nembhard will follow suit. However, if Nembhard goes pro, we should be solid at the PG position. Johnson would be sorely missed, IMO.

Ocala, the projections for Nembhard that I've seen don't have him going in the 1st 2 rounds. If that holds up, I believe that he'll choose to return, but we'll see. o_O

Having both Lewis and Johnson coming back might just be the thing that helps him decide to stay for another go at the brass ring. They could live without him, but he is definitely the best PG currently on the team. Here's to hoping he also returns. :cool:

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Dikembe Mutombo's 6-11 son Ryan is suddenly getting attemtion.

Not projected to UF by any means, but it sure would be sweet if Mike & Pinkins could get this one to play for the Gators.

2021 Class -- #13 C Ryan Mutombo, the 6-foot-11 215 **** - Natl. 65

The son of Dikembe Mutombo has received scholarship offers from Georgetown, UF and GaT, adding to the previous scholarships he held from Richmond and Ind-St. (9 offers with more on the way)

According to 247Sports, the younger Mutombo’s rise comes in conjunction with a particularly strong outing at the Holiday Hoopsgiving Tournament in Atlanta. Playing for his Lovett School (Atlanta) squad, Mutombo reportedly showcased his elite length and stunning court vision for a player near 7-feet tall.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/dikemb...n-suddenly-getting-major-recruiting-attention

Al Pinkins is going to have some quality fun with this kid at UF.

HS Sr 2018: FL 7A PoY -- FL Mr. B-Ball Finalist - 247 4-star
24.5 PPG
11.7 RPG
5.6 BPG
2.7 APG
1.7 SPG

At 6-11 in HS, he can dribble drive to the basket or sit back and make 3's.
He can post you up, make fall away jumpers or the basket end of an Alley-Oop.

PF Colin Castleton 6-11 235 - Daytona Beach, FL -- Mich, xfer UF
2019-20 Soph Stats at Mich:
7.9 Min/Gm, 3.1 Pts, 2.4 Rbs, 0.3 Ast, 0.5 Blk, PF 0.8, TO 0.5, Stl 0.1
Shooting FG 54.0, FT 82.8% 3's 0/0 -- Zero 3's??? They didn't let him shoot 3's???

I don't follow Mich B-Ball, but he seemed to be seriously under-utilized up there???
He played lightly in 19 Fr Gm's and 25 Soph Gm's at Michigan. So without a waiver(?), he'd sit one, and then play two for UF.

Mike White has added to his 2021 recruiting class. On Thursday evening 4-star wing Kowacie Reeves picked the Gators over Georgia Tech and Stanford. At around 6-foot-6 with long arms and good athleticism, Reeves was one of the more heavily recruited players in the state of Georgia.

Currently Reeves is ranked as the No. 67 player in the 247Sports Composite Composite for the class of 2021 and he is the #5 CG in the class.

"My fit there is great," said Reeves of Florida. "The academics are great, and at the end I just felt it was the best situation for me and my family. I was very comfortable there. I have a great relationship with the coaches there. I just realized how much work I have to put in, but I love those guys."

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-lands-four-star-wing-146672018

=====

Reeves is one of 13 Top 100 prospects signed (or committed in the case of Reeves) by White at Florida and heading into White’s sixth season as the Florida head coach.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...uit-at-a-very-high-level-for-Gators-146682894

Mike White's men's basketball was among the programs receiving NCAA recognition Tuesday for standing among their sport's Top 10 for Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores. "Earning a degree is an aspiration we share with our student-athletes," said athletic director Scott Stricklin. "These 5 Gators teams among the Nation's Top 10 percent for academic progress shows that they are focused on gaining their diploma." (includes Women's golf, gymnastics, lacrosse, and volleyball)
~ Men's basketball is making their 2nd consecutive appearance.

The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation to provide a measure of each team's academic performance. This year's APR report is a multi-year rate based on scores from the academic years 2015-16 through 2018-19.

Meeting the 'Gator Standard' is about more than just the wins and losses on the court or field.
These teams have demonstrated success in athletics while achieving in the classroom. In the 4-year span included in this APR, these Gator teams advanced to 24 NCAA Tournament fields and claimed 8 SEC conference titles.
==========

Amid the unprecedented challenges presented by COVID-19, University of Florida student-athletes enjoyed a tremendous spring semester in the classroom, with 18 of the athletic department's programs including 419 Gators earning a 3.0 GPA or higher during the term. Gator student-athletes compiled an average GPA of 3.40 as the Women's swimming and diving team led the way at 3.80.
~ Earlier this month, 55 graduates were celebrated during spring commencement.
~~
A total of 86 student-athletes graduated this year and 142 Gators have garnered SEC Honor Roll recognition with spring and first year honor roll still to be announced in June. :eek:

https://floridagators.com/news/2020...cant-academic-success-in-spring-semester.aspx

I watched this kid's film when he was in HS and I hoped that he'd be a Gator.
Not exactly the same, but with the skills and dedication to be the new 'White Chocolate.'
Nothing has changed for me since then, I still wish he was a Gator, and now UF is at least in the xfer mix to be his new home. (iG crosses his fiingers)

May 13, 2020
Georgetown CG Mac McClung 6-2 185 will withdraw from the 2020 NBA draft but will also enter the transfer portal, according to Jonathan Givony of ESPN.

This young man would thrive at UF in Mike White's offense and with Gator teammates and the Rowdy Reptiles.. "I'm looking for a place I can call home. A place I can be a part of a family and help them succeed."

Due to the NCAA transfer rules, McClung will be forced to sit out next season before having two years of eligibility. McClung is, however, expected to apply for a waiver to be eligible immediately.

Last edited:
If AN returns we are going to be extremely deep at the point position. Goodness.

Mike White's recruiting has players that can play multiple positions, especially at the 1-2-3's.
Heck, he's got a W-O SG that would likely be a starter at some other D1's.
Likewise, his 3-4's could play either SF-PF, like KJ and SL.
And his 4-5's (like Omar) can move to either PF-C spot as the bigs.

I really like the way that Mike is putting together his team, while building for now and for the future.
=====

With Mike White's supposed bad offense, it's a wonder that anyone ever scores.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mike White's recruiting has players that can play multiple positions, especially at the 1-2-3's.
Heck, he's got a W-O SG that would likely be a starter at some other D1's.
Likewise, his 3-4's could play either SF-PF, like KJ and SL.
And his 4-5's (like Omar) can move to either PF-C spot as the bigs.

I really like the way that Mike is putting together his team, while building for now and for the future.
=====

With Mike White's supposed bad offense, it's a wonder that anyone ever scores.... :rolleyes:

Recruiting anynthat can shoot baskets?

Recruiting anynthat can shoot baskets?

DogPoker Troll Alert.... :rolleyes:
========

Edit: You tell me, genius... :rolleyes:

PF/SF/CG Johnson, the 6-5, 230-pound from Norfolk, Va., exited his freshman year as the Gators' most improved player, when he became the 1st UF freshman in 20 years to post B-2-B - 2X-2X's in the SEC Tourney. It was when Florida went to the Charleston (S.C.) Classic to play in the 8-team tournament that Johnson really enjoyed a breakout/breakthrough kind of performance.

In sweeping to victories over St. Joseph's, Miami and then unbeaten and 18th-ranked Xavier in the title game — and claiming the program's first regular-season tournament title in 10 years — Johnson was sensational and was duly honored as the event's MVP. For the tournament, Johnson averaged 16.3 points, 8.0 rebounds and shot 61 percent, and used the run as a springboard of confidence for what turned out to be a first-team All-SEC Soph. season.

When the season ended (prematurely), Johnson led the team in scoring at 14.0 points per game on 54.4-percent shooting overall, 38.0 from the 3-point line and 76.8 from the free-throw line. His 7.1 rebounds per game were second the team, but his eight double-doubles were tops.

Last edited:
DogPoker Troll Alert.... :rolleyes:
========

Edit: You tell me, genius... :rolleyes:

PF/SF/CG Johnson, the 6-5, 230-pound from Norfolk, Va., exited his freshman year as the Gators' most improved player, when he became the 1st UF freshman in 20 years to post B-2-B - 2X-2X's in the SEC Tourney. It was when Florida went to the Charleston (S.C.) Classic to play in the 8-team tournament that Johnson really enjoyed a breakout/breakthrough kind of performance.

In sweeping to victories over St. Joseph's, Miami and then unbeaten and 18th-ranked Xavier in the title game — and claiming the program's first regular-season tournament title in 10 years — Johnson was sensational and was duly honored as the event's MVP. For the tournament, Johnson averaged 16.3 points, 8.0 rebounds and shot 61 percent, and used the run as a springboard of confidence for what turned out to be a first-team All-SEC Soph. season.

When the season ended (prematurely), Johnson led the team in scoring at 14.0 points per game on 54.4-percent shooting overall, 38.0 from the 3-point line and 76.8 from the free-throw line. His 7.1 rebounds per game were second the team, but his eight double-doubles were tops.

Blah, blah, blah.... tldr

Bottom line is that offense has been UFs problem, but you always defend White and say he can’t hit shots for them .... instead of recognizing he needs to scheme them ways to hit better % shots and help them work in improving form/success rate....

So if it’s SOLELY up to the players to figure out how to score - is he recruiting anyone who can shoot baskets (better than you already have)?

Reactions: gatordad3
Coach Mkke White's record as a HC is there for anyone that's not biased against him already,,, or just brain-dead...
MWC CoY
AAC CoY
SEC CoY
Raise and contract extension. o_O

You, not so much,,, but lots of yap-yap-yap instead... :p

Coach Mkke White's record as a HC is there for anyone that's not biased against him already,,, or just brain-dead...
MWC CoY
AAC CoY
SEC CoY
Raise and contract extension. o_O

You, not so much,,, but lots of yap-yap-yap instead... :p

Good glad you like White.....viva le White at UF forever!!!!

Blah, blah, blah.... tldr

Bottom line is that offense has been UFs problem, but you always defend White and say he can’t hit shots for them .... instead of recognizing he needs to scheme them ways to hit better % shots and help them work in improving form/success rate....

So if it’s SOLELY up to the players to figure out how to score - is he recruiting anyone who can shoot baskets (better than you already have)?
To be fair their problem wasn’t taking bad shots it was passing up good shots until the shot clock ran down then settling for a tough one. They were working out of that the last month of the season.

Ok - players fault, coaches fault, or both?

(+ or - credit goes to all on a TEAM, or didn' t you know that either?)

The situation with injuries and with the Bigs is still changing and developing.
When it was good in his 2nd year, he took them to an Elite-8, shortly after BillyD's losing season departure.

And before anyone tries to claim that Elite-8 was a fluke and done with BillyD's players, you'll have to explain how those same BillyD players just came off a losing season with HoF BillyD coaching them. :confused:

Without the CoV, very likely another 20+ win season and a 4th consecutive Big Dance.
(that's WAY BETTER than any Gator fan had any right to expect)

The current young team is still learning and improving. o_O

You should give that a try yourself, every now and then... :rolleyes:

(+ or - credit goes to all on a TEAM, or didn' t you know that either?)

The situation with injuries and with the Bigs is still changing and developing.
When it was good in his 2nd year, he took them to an Elite-8, shortly after BillyD's losing season departure.

And before anyone tries to claim that Elite-8 was a fluke and done with BillyD's players, you'll have to explain how those same BillyD players just came off a losing season with HoF BillyD coaching them. :confused:

Without the CoV, very likely another 20+ win season and a 4th consecutive Big Dance.
(that's WAY BETTER than any Gator fan had any right to expect)

The current young team is still learning and improving. o_O

You should give that a try yourself, every now and then... :rolleyes:

So ....... no answer, just filibuster

Typical gutless InstaFail

There was a clear 'TEAM' answer in there. I't not my fault that a dog-poker is unable to comprehend the answer. The dog-poker is 'village idiot' material it seems to me....

So all players? ..... the coach is perfect!

I’m so happy for your future HoF coach!! Keep him long times

I've been critical of Mike W, honestly he's done a good job. Recruiting has Improved. We'll have to see how it goes. Team was improving at the end of the season. We have talent.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Enough on White. I’ve been critical of him myself but enough bashing of him from you. You have your own underachieving b-ball coach to worry about.

Paco, my real intent isn’t to be bashing White, as he’s a decent coach.... but to jab Insta about how it’s always the players fault, not the coach..... and that’s for any situation. He was the last man standing behind Muschamp and Mac, and heaps praise on coaches when UF is doing well, but it’s the players fault when they lose

I’ll hang back out of this thread tho

The idiot dog-poker doesn't realize that TEAM' includes all, the players, the position coaches, the rest of the staff, and the HC. They either function as a 'TEAM' or they don't.
Sometimes it's one group/person or another, but it's rarely just one persons fault when a loss happens.

As to coach Mike White, I (along with HoF BillyD) believe that he's done a good job as the Gator's HC so far, and that he will continue to do well as they go forward. The UAA and the AD also agree, else they wouldn't have given him a raise and a contract extension. :cool:

Unlike Mike White, both Musclecramp and McLame were decent coaches, just not good enough to be the Gator's HC. I was for giving both a decent chance to get it done and when they couldn't I was for replacing them. While I generally supported them both as long as they were the HC, it's not like I didn't take them both to task for their deficiencies while they were here.

I dissed on the Musclecramp for hiring 'Charlie Cheeseburger' as the OC from day one.
I dissed on McLame for his constant use of retread QB's instead of playing Trask.
In both instances, I was proven correct.... :p

And I'm glad that the village idiot dog-poker will no longer be posting to this thread. o_O

Reactions: ocalaman
Scouting Report: Florida Gators 2021 Commit Guard Kowacie Reeves Jr.
Zach Goodall SI Editor - May 1st 2020

The Florida Gators received good news on Thursday in landing a commitment from 2021 CG/SF Kowacie Reeves Jr of Westside High School (Macon, Ga.). Florida sent Reeves his first offer nearly two years ago, and after an extensive recruitment process, Reeves is now a Gator.

The 6-6, 170 lb. wing carries fantastic length, a trait similar to what we've seen from the wings that head coach Mike White has recruited to Florida in the past. Over his past two years as a starter for Westside, Reeves has averaged 19.8 points, five rebounds, two steals, 1.5 assists per game. Averaging 1.1 points per shot, Reeves is 41% from the field and 32% from behind the arc during his high school career.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/basketball/kowacie-reeves-florida-gators-scouting-report

How Much Would the Florida Gators Miss Andrew Nembhard and Tre Mann?

According to SI -- In all likelihood, based on the projected NBA interest of both guys, Nembhard and Mann will be back in Gainesville next season. (as I've said for months now)

Zach Goodall - SI
Editor
I think it’d be in Nembhard’s best interest to come back, both of them really.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/basketball/florida-gators-andrew-nembhard-tre-mann-draft
Nembhard is closer to being NBA ready than Mann, but both would benefit by staying at UF. With the NBA draft only having 2 rounds, it would benefit almost ALL college players to get their degrees before gambling at a pro career, IMO. The only exceptions would be lottery picks who are made instant millionaires and even they should pursue a degree in the off season. So many student-athletes make bad decisions when they're young, pressured by agents, family, ego, etc. and then find themselves broke or barely making it 10 years down the road. Florida coaches do a great job of keeping academics a priority and trying to make sure our athletes know all their viable options. The graduation rates in all our programs consistently shows UF's success rate in helping our athletes achieve both athletic and academic goals.

FNG's for the 2020 season that we haven't seen on the court yet.

PG Tyree Appleby 6-1 163 rsJr - Jacksonville, Ark (Cleveland St xfer)
~ All Horizon League 2nd Team as a Soph.
~ Shot 38.9% from the Arc his Soph season.
~ Has scored 20+ 14 times, and had a triple/double 19 Pts, 11 Rbs, 11 Ast.
~ Sat out 2018-19 at UF as an xfer.

PF Anthony Duruji 6-7 215 rsJr - Germantown, MD,(LaTech xfer)
~ 2018 C-USA All Fr Team and the C-USA Fr of the Year.
~ Soph. started all 33 games with 3 double-doubles.
~ Had 10 double digit scoring games with 2 that were 20+ Pts.
~ Had 40 Blks and averaged 6.2 Rbs/Gm.
~ Sat out 2018-19 at UF as an xfer.
----------

SG Niels Lane 6-5 210 **** 90/100 - Freehold, NJ

SF Samson Ruzhentsev 6-6 182 **** 48/100 - Chattanooga, TN
Samson is #4 in the Black. -- He's from Moscow, Russia

PF Osay Osifo 6-8 215 *** - Cocoa, FL - #1 JuCo xfer
Top 5 Offers: UF-UGA-Mizz-Gerogetown-Xavier

=====

Mike White's program did well once again with their recruiting efforts in the 2020 cycle as the Gators signed a pair of top-100 overall prospects and a JUCO product.

https://florida.rivals.com/news/exa...ll-signees-fared-in-their-2019-2020-campaigns

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT