ADVERTISEMENT

Ron DeSantis stands no chance against a political barbarian like Donald Trump...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

"There is one thing, and one thing only, I like about former President Donald Trump: He’s going to make Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ political life absolutely miserable......

But for all his bluster and right-wing celebrity, for all the boxes he checks on the MAGA-purity checklist, there’s this reality: Trump is going to eat DeSantis’ lunch, stuff the lunch bag in his mouth and leave him pantsed and bawling on the political playground.

This Trump-heavy swing happened while DeSantis was making what are theoretically all the right moves to win over the GOP base. He has been attacking Disney, making life difficult for Florida teachers, combatting diversity in state colleges and generally doing what one does to court voters who survive on a steady diet of Fox News and conspiratorial Facebook memes....

This is the conundrum for DeSantis and anyone else toying with a run at the GOP presidential nomination. You can do all the things you think a presidential candidate should do, and none of it will matter, because at the end of the day, you have to face off with the political equivalent of a rabid badger on bath salts. There is no “too low” in Trump’s vocabulary, and there is no “too far” in the lengths he’ll go to degrade, dehumanize and destroy an opponent."....
---------------------------------------------------

I found this left winger comedian's commentary kind of funny on this issue. Looking at his twitter it appears he might hate DeSantis even more than Trump and he hates Trump. He does make some good points about how Trump deals with the GOP opposition and how effective it is most of the time.

If it was anyone but Trump I think the establishment GOP and all those mega rich donors combined with Fox News mostly trying to bury Trump's chances would be able to keep him from getting the nomination but unlike the left the right cant be as easily swayed by the media as the left (see how the lefty media in 2020 took the nomination away from Bernie). I do think if DeSantis does announce in May things will get pretty bad however with the media and many Rep social media influencers on board trying to take down Trump. In my mind the question is if Trump can totally lock down most of his non-establishment base prior to Iowa and have DeSantis by that point just considered as another establishment backed candidate trying to take Trump out. If Trump has him mostly painted that way by Iowa we aren't going to have that extended primary like we did in 2016.

Reactions: gatordad3
I do not care, just, please not Biden and worse his administration who is, far to the left of Biden (who is not even a RINO at this point of his career). Any tearing down of DeSantis, on the right, because you happen to prefer Trump, is not just wasted, but dangerous energy..

A Trump administration will push the specific policies that I would prefer: strong borders, strong on crime, fiscal moderation, etc.

I also happen to think that Trump supporters should focus, from a broader messaging POV, more on the administration and the outcomes versus the individual. Moderates and independents want the outcomes, not Trump, per se. The media will tear down the individual issues, of Trump.

I do not care, just, please not Biden and worse his administration who is, far to the left of Biden (who is not even a RINO at this point of his career). Any tearing down of DeSantis, on the right, because you happen to prefer Trump, is not just wasted, but dangerous energy..

A Trump administration will push the specific policies that I would prefer: strong borders, strong on crime, fiscal moderation, etc.

I also happen to think that Trump supporters should focus, from a broader messaging POV, more on the administration and the outcomes versus the individual. Moderates and independents want the outcomes, not Trump, per se. The media will tear down the individual issues, of Trump.

I think if Trump didn't stay his normal self the media and the establishment characters behind DeSantis would easily take him down.

It's crazy Biden is acting like he will run again. I would have thought he would have been removed for mental issues by now. They still might can replace him once the crooked stuff on their business dealings come out in those hearings.

I think you may want to look at Trump spending as President. The last republican that actually was good fiscally was Reagan.

2023-03-02_14-16-01.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: nail1988
I think you may want to look at Trump spending as President. The last republican that actually was good fiscally was Reagan.
Yeah. The spending continues no matter who gets in there. The voters have no appetite for the spending cuts. They may tinker around the edges on where the money gets spent, but both parties have an insatiable appetite for running up the credit cards of people who havent even been born yet. We are rapidly approaching a place where the interest on the debt is going to swallow the federal budget, and no one bats an eye.

Reactions: jhgator
It's fair.

I am aware that Trump, with Paul Ryan, cut taxes but failed on the spending front. The pandemic did not help, but in the throes of the 2020 senate runoff, Trump was advocating for $2,000 stimulus checks.

Trump still has many of his 1970/80 NYC big spending tendencies - when put in a corner.
Clinton and Gingrich were the last ones to manage an in-year balanced budget.

Reactions: kalimgoodman
Yeah. The spending continues no matter who gets in there. The voters have no appetite for the spending cuts. They may tinker around the edges on where the money gets spent, but both parties have an insatiable appetite for running up the credit cards of people who havent even been born yet. We are rapidly approaching a place where the interest on the debt is going to swallow the federal budget, and no one bats an eye.
10,000 percent. And intellectuals/economists (I use both terms with significant hesitation) such as Paul Krugman insist through their "new monetarist policy" that "defecits do not matter".

Why do they do that? It makes it easier to pass things such as reparations and other when "someone else" pays the bill.

I don't think the voters do. I think they (republican voters) only have that appetite when Democrats run congress. I truly believe if another Republican takes the white house, the spending will not stop.

Reactions: emekz1

"There is one thing, and one thing only, I like about former President Donald Trump: He’s going to make Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ political life absolutely miserable......

But for all his bluster and right-wing celebrity, for all the boxes he checks on the MAGA-purity checklist, there’s this reality: Trump is going to eat DeSantis’ lunch, stuff the lunch bag in his mouth and leave him pantsed and bawling on the political playground.

This Trump-heavy swing happened while DeSantis was making what are theoretically all the right moves to win over the GOP base. He has been attacking Disney, making life difficult for Florida teachers, combatting diversity in state colleges and generally doing what one does to court voters who survive on a steady diet of Fox News and conspiratorial Facebook memes....

This is the conundrum for DeSantis and anyone else toying with a run at the GOP presidential nomination. You can do all the things you think a presidential candidate should do, and none of it will matter, because at the end of the day, you have to face off with the political equivalent of a rabid badger on bath salts. There is no “too low” in Trump’s vocabulary, and there is no “too far” in the lengths he’ll go to degrade, dehumanize and destroy an opponent."....
---------------------------------------------------

I found this left winger comedian's commentary kind of funny on this issue. Looking at his twitter it appears he might hate DeSantis even more than Trump and he hates Trump. He does make some good points about how Trump deals with the GOP opposition and how effective it is most of the time.

If it was anyone but Trump I think the establishment GOP and all those mega rich donors combined with Fox News mostly trying to bury Trump's chances would be able to keep him from getting the nomination but unlike the left the right cant be as easily swayed by the media as the left (see how the lefty media in 2020 took the nomination away from Bernie). I do think if DeSantis does announce in May things will get pretty bad however with the media and many Rep social media influencers on board trying to take down Trump. In my mind the question is if Trump can totally lock down most of his non-establishment base prior to Iowa and have DeSantis by that point just considered as another establishment backed candidate trying to take Trump out. If Trump has him mostly painted that way by Iowa we aren't going to have that extended primary like we did in 2016.
I don't think DeSantis is going to run unless Trump dies or the leftist extremists manage to knock him out of the race with more witch hunts. I think he is waiting to see if that happens because there is no sense in wasting political capital in an intrasquad feud. All DeSantis needs to do is say I'm committed to serving the people of Florida at this time and have no intention to run. Then, if something happens to Trump he can say he's being summoned to a higher calling, This should be simple.

I don't think the voters do. I think they (republican voters) only have that appetite when Democrats run congress. I truly believe if another Republican takes the white house, the spending will not stop.
Im a republican voter, and do want spending cuts. I am well aware that republican officials pretend to care about the debt when they can use it to get votes. I know they really dont care. Its obvious neither party cares. Even though spending is near the top of what I think is important, I realize its not a priority to the American people...or they would do something about it. I vote republican mostly based on the culture war. If we are going to be a land of fiscal ruin, we must have a steel spine culture to overcome it. No more screen babies. No more neutered men and masculine women. No more victimhood points. No more dressing our boys in dresses....We gotta do a lot better.

DeSantis will never again have the political momentum he now possesses. I'm not sure how anyone can believe he would be intimidated by Trump. Never happen.

It's truly a shame Trump can't set aside his ego and step aside. He's had his time and he did a very good job. But he's almost as old as Biden and although still sharp mentally he's simply not as physically or mentally strong as he was in 2016. Many view and accept him as being that same person but he's just not. I'm 78 and fondly wish I was as capable as I was eight years ago. Time spares no one. For the good of our nation, Trump needs to step aside and give DeSantis eight years to save our country.

Im a republican voter, and do want spending cuts. I am well aware that republican officials pretend to care about the debt when they can use it to get votes. I know they really dont care. Its obvious neither party cares. Even though spending is near the top of what I think is important, I realize its not a priority to the American people...or they would do something about it. I vote republican mostly based on the culture war. If we are going to be a land of fiscal ruin, we must have a steel spine culture to overcome it. No more screen babies. No more neutered men and masculine women. No more victimhood points. No more dressing our boys in dresses....We gotta do a lot better.
This is a fair and responsible response.

DeSantis will never again have the political momentum he now possesses. I'm not sure how anyone can believe he would be intimidated by Trump. Never happen.

It's truly a shame Trump can't set aside his ego and step aside. He's had his time and he did a very good job. But he's almost as old as Biden and although still sharp mentally he's simply not as physically or mentally strong as he was in 2016. Many view and accept him as being that same person but he's just not. I'm 78 and fondly wish I was as capable as I was eight years ago. Time spares no one. For the good of our nation, Trump needs to step aside and give DeSantis eight years to save our country.
DeSantis needs to take it. No one should expect Trump to just give it to him. When a party just gives away the nominee it usually fails (Gore, Romney, Hilary, McCain, etc). People that take it like Trump, Obama, Bill usually does well.

DeSantis needs to take it. No one should expect Trump to just give it to him. When a party just gives away the nominee it usually fails (Gore, Romney, Hilary, McCain, etc). People that take it like Trump, Obama, Bill usually does well.
There's certainly a lot of truth in what you say. And maybe I'm wrong. But Donald Trump is a different animal. There's so much I like about Trump I'm sometimes hesitant to criticize him but I truly worry how much he may damage DeSantis even if Trump loses. DeSantis needs Trump's base and he may lose many if he beats their hero. The ultimate problem being if DeSantis has the Trump base he can win the general election while I simply don't believe Trump can be re-elected.

I don't think DeSantis is going to run unless Trump dies or the leftist extremists manage to knock him out of the race with more witch hunts. I think he is waiting to see if that happens because there is no sense in wasting political capital in an intrasquad feud. All DeSantis needs to do is say I'm committed to serving the people of Florida at this time and have no intention to run. Then, if something happens to Trump he can say he's being summoned to a higher calling, This should be simple.

I thought that previously but with all his actions it points to him decaring in May sometime I would think. He is taking a big chance though as he is finished if Trump takes the nomination and the White House. Trump hates people he considers backstabbing and after he saved DeSantis in the 2018 Rep primary he probably considers him pretty low right now. I think the only way DeSantis survives for 2028 if Trump was to win is by refusing to run and trying to patch things up so Trump doesn't bad talk him going into 2028.

Reactions: NavigatorII
OnlyTrump is just as bad as NeverTrump.

Trump shouldn't have a base that will stay home if he isn't the nominee.

This is not about Trump. It's about what's best for America.

I wouldn't stay home though I know some would. They want the establishments power over the party reduced further. Can't blame them when the donor establishment actively went against Rep nominees in the general they didn't like. I would never compromise in a primary though over some electability argument.

Reactions: jhgator
That is exactly what the Dimtards hope for. Bad news for them, I'll vote against ALL Dems until they clean up their clown show. I've held my nose and voted against them before, and that will continue. I'm confident they'll NEVER run another competent politician ever, they could never make it through the primaries.

I wouldn't stay home

Because you aren't a moron.
though I know some would.

See above.
They want the establishments power over the party reduced further.

I dont feel like pouting and not participating furthers that end.
Can't blame them when the donor establishment actively went against Rep nominees in the general they didn't like.
That's rich people doing rich people shit and it happens on both sides of the aisle unfortunately.

I would never compromise in a primary though over some electability argument.
I feel like this is the correct attitude.

Because you aren't a moron.

See above.

I dont feel like pouting and not participating furthers that end.

That's rich people doing rich people shit and it happens on both sides of the aisle unfortunately.

I feel like this is the correct attitude.

The uniparty is pretty bad though. They used to claim it was us just making up nonsense but Trump getting elected fully exposed those clowns and it was just like people said it was. Trump also exposed the federal agencies were all weaponized. I can see why they might refuse to vote for that especially after they actively do things to help the Democrat win against your candidates they don't approve of.

The uniparty is pretty bad though. They used to claim it was us just making up nonsense but Trump getting elected fully exposed those clowns and it was just like people said it was. Trump also exposed the federal agencies were all weaponized. I can see why they might refuse to vote for that especially after they actively do things to help the Democrat win against your candidates they don't approve of.
Im not sure what can be done without election integrity.

But I'm going to continue to vote even if it's meaningless, just in case.

JFC the pearl clutching from you is exhausting.

Trump and DeSantis need to have a knock down, drag out brutal primary. It's the best thing for the party by far. It strengthens both candidates and makes sure that they are battle hardened for the real race.

And the media is going to go balls deep on ANY republican candidate. Remember milquetoast Romney was attacked for dog abuse, his time as a venture capitalist and "binders" of women? That guy's a moderate democrat.

Kamala accused Joe of being a racist and he still picked her as his running mate. Think about the past for just a second...primaries don't decide general elections.

Im not sure what can be done without election integrity.

But I'm going to continue to vote even if it's meaningless, just in case.
We have to.

We exposed the cheating in 2020 because they never dreamed Trump would get 75MM votes. It's the only way at this point, we have to flood the zone with so many votes they can't cheat around them.

We also need to get serious about fighting fire with fire - vote harvesting (where legal) as an example.

I'm not onlyTrump but Trump is the only politician that can't be bought off.

Soros' endorsement of DeSantis, and some of the people on his staff, worry me he's a trojan horse.

Reactions: Gator Fever
We have to.

We exposed the cheating in 2020 because they never dreamed Trump would get 75MM votes. It's the only way at this point, we have to flood the zone with so many votes they can't cheat around them.

We also need to get serious about fighting fire with fire - vote harvesting (where legal) as an example.

Yep AZ this past election showed you have to get the votes in early. They literally had messed up equipment knowing it was Reps mostly voting on election day and a bunch of frustrated voters would just leave.

Soros' endorsement of DeSantis, and some of the people on his staff, worry me he's a trojan horse. DeSantis prior votes in Congress show he will do some bidding for the uniparty crowd.

It is crazy they are too dumb to hide the fact Jeb Bush and Paul Ryan love DeSantis.

Soros' endorsement of DeSantis, and some of the people on his staff, worry me he's a trojan horse.

The RINOS, Fakenews media and RATS hate both Trump and DeSantis and want them both taken out. They will drop articles like this to try and create a civil war between Trump and DeSantis in order to get a RINO nominated. I love both Trump and a DeSantis. ,My hope is Trump wins and DeSantis gets the next 8 years after him. If Trump try’s to savage Desantis if he does decide to run many in the conservative base will turn in him and we will lose the election. DeSantis is Amercas Governor and is adored. Trump needs to stay and win on policies where he was very successful. The 2020 lying Ted, Tired Jen won’t work this time.

Soros didn’t endorse DeSantis that narrative is #Fakenews. Soros trashed both Trump and DeSantis in clip.

No, George Soros Didn't "Endorse" Ron DeSantis​

In case you saw this going around, no, George Soros did not endorse Ron DeSantis for the Republican nomination -- at least, not in the way the Fake News clip that some dishonest Trump supporters intended people to think he did. Soros said he hoped Ron DeSantis won the nomination so that Trump would run as a third party candidate, and then the Democrat candidate would score a "landslide" victory over the both of them.

That's a lot different than the edited clip, which just shows Soros saying he hopes DeSantis wins the nomination, wants you to think he's saying.

Last edited:
I certainly think this weighs VERY heavily on DeSantis. His reputation is stellar right now. Trump is indeed a "barbarian" and ego driven. Many, including those on this board, love him for that.

The MSM media also does not want him there. Why? DeSantis would likely win a general but be less exciting when in office.

Trump is the best of all worlds for the MSM just as he was in 2015 for CNN's Jeff Zucker. If he wins, he gives CNN unbelievable ratings and a "devil" to rail against for four years.

If he loses, they have their ideological colleagues in office from 2024-2028 and a back and forth just like Jen Psaki.
In a Trump world, it is heads they win, tails the other person loses.

JFC the pearl clutching from you is exhausting.

Trump and DeSantis need to have a knock down, drag out brutal primary. It's the best thing for the party by far. It strengthens both candidates and makes sure that they are battle hardened for the real race.

And the media is going to go balls deep on ANY republican candidate. Remember milquetoast Romney was attacked for dog abuse, his time as a venture capitalist and "binders" of women? That guy's a moderate democrat.

Kamala accused Joe of being a racist and he still picked her as his running mate. Think about the past for just a second...primaries don't decide general elections.
There is always that concern of how ugly it can get but history shows that it rarely impacts the general.

• Wow
Reactions: nail1988

Trump base won't stay home because DeSantis is too much like Trump. This isn’t a case of Bernie and Hillary where the 2 are so opposite.

Trump base won't stay home because DeSantis is too much like Trump. This isn’t a case of Bernie and Hillary where the 2 are so opposite.
Not totally true. It Georgia, if only 13,001 voters stay home because DeSantis is a A- and Trump is a fire breathing dragon, that costs a key state.

True in every competitive race. If Trump wins, the 2020 senate runoff is a guide. He will take minor shots at Ron so that if Trump does not win, nobody on the R side wins.

In Razor close elections, that complicates the calculus.

Ghost said a variant of this months ago. The more I consider it, it is right and, at a bare minimum, Ron is thinking through all of these scenarios.

To be fair, soros didn't endorse DeSantis. He came close, and IMO came close enough that the media would report he did, but didn't technically endorse him.

I'm far more worried about what DeSantis did NOT say when this happened.

When rumors popped up among conservatives that DeSantis was talking to Paul Ryan and DC RINOs, he said nothing.

When soros said that DeSantis will likely win, he said nothing.

Horrible unforced errors. I find it hilarious that the same posters claiming that Trump can't get out of his own way, have nothing to say when DeSantis literally sabotages his own political career.

There is 0% chance he wins the Presidency in 2024. Bonus: If he runs in 2024, he ensures that he will never hold the office.

Reactions: emekz1 and fatman76
Not totally true. It Georgia, if only 13,001 voters stay home because DeSantis is a A- and Trump is a fire breathing dragon, that costs a key state.

True in every competitive race. If Trump wins, the 2020 senate runoff is a guide. He will take minor shots at Ron so that if Trump does not win, nobody on the R side wins.

In Razor close elections, that complicates the calculus.

Ghost said a variant of this months ago. The more I consider it, it is right and, at a bare minimum, Ron is thinking through all of these scenarios.
Trump's character has zip to do with why Trump's base won't support a 2024 Presidential campaign from DeSantis.

It is COMPLETELY about what DeSantis has done. Or not done.

He's never confirmed he won't run in 2024, after campaigning on being governor through 2026.

He's never denied meeting with Paul Ryan and the other RINOs in DC.

He's never addressed soros almost endorsing him.

Based on all that, a significant portion of the Trump base believes that DeSantis is in bed with Ryan's RINOs, and would take support from soros, if offered.

That's why DeSantis has 0% chance of winning the Presidency in 2024. It has nothing to do with Trump, it's all his fault.

Reactions: emekz1 and fatman76
The RINOS, Fakenews media and RATS hate both Trump and DeSantis and want them both taken out. They will drop articles like this to try and create a civil war between Trump and DeSantis in order to get a RINO nominated. I love both Trump and a DeSantis. ,My hope is Trump wins and DeSantis gets the next 8 years after him. If Trump try’s to savage Desantis if he does decide to run many in the conservative base will turn in him and we will lose the election. DeSantis is Amercas Governor and is adored. Trump needs to stay and win on policies where he was very successful. The 2020 lying Ted, Tired Jen won’t work this time.

Soros didn’t endorse DeSantis that narrative is #Fakenews. Soros trashed both Trump and DeSantis in clip.

No, George Soros Didn't "Endorse" Ron DeSantis​

In case you saw this going around, no, George Soros did not endorse Ron DeSantis for the Republican nomination -- at least, not in the way the Fake News clip that some dishonest Trump supporters intended people to think he did. Soros said he hoped Ron DeSantis won the nomination so that Trump would run as a third party candidate, and then the Democrat candidate would score a "landslide" victory over the both of them.

That's a lot different than the edited clip, which just shows Soros saying he hopes DeSantis wins the nomination, wants you to think he's saying.

Reactions: fatman76

I actually agree with this

Reactions: grandhavendiddy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT