ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan on Trump

Illegal-shift

Gator Great
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2021
Paul Ryan, the Republican former House speaker-turned-Fox Corp. board member, has summed up Donald Trump as a “populist, authoritarian narcissist.”

The former president is “not a conservative,” Ryan declared during a recent virtual interview hosted by CEO advisory firm Teneo that the Republican Accountability group unearthed and shared on X (formerly Twitter) on Wednesday.

Trump’s tendencies “are basically where narcissism takes him, which is whatever makes him popular, makes him feel good at any given moment,” Ryan said. “He doesn’t think in classical ‘liberal-conservative’ terms. He thinks in an authoritarian way. And he’s been able to get a big chunk of the Republican base to follow him because he’s the culture warrior.”

Ry
an, who served in Congress as a Wisconsin Republican, talked about how former Reps. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) and Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) had “paid for” their criticism of Trump with their congressional careers.

And he claimed that more Republicans in Congress now wish they’d taken a stand against Trump when he was impeached for a second time for inciting the deadly U.S. Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.

The House voted 232-197 in favor of impeaching Trump. The Senate voted 57 to 43 to convict Trump, 10 votes short of the 67 required for it to actually happen.

They thought “Trump was dead,” Ryan said. “They thought after Jan. 6, he wasn’t going to have a comeback, he was dead. So they figured, ‘I’m not going to take this heat, I’m not going to vote against this impeachment, because he’s gone anyway.’ But what’s happened is he’s been resurrected.”

“There has to be some line, some principle that is so important to you that you’re just not going to cross, so that when you’re brushing your teeth in the morning, look yourself in the mirror, you like what you see," the ex-congressman continued, saying he believes Cheney and Kinzinger are "liking what they see."

There are “a lot of people who already regret not getting him out of the way when they could have,” Ryan added. “So I think history will be kind to those people who saw what was happening and called it out, even though it was at the expense of their personal well-being.”

Ryan condemned Trump before the 2016 election, but went on to work alongside him as House speaker to pass major tax cuts. He left Congress in 2019 to become a director of Fox Corp., a position that has earned him criticism for his apparent reluctance to call out the divisive rhetoric peddled on Fox News.

Last year, Ryan said “anybody not named Trump” would be a better option for the Republican Party in the 2024 presidential election.

“We know we’re so much more likely to lose with Trump, because of the fact that he is not popular with suburban voters that we’re gonna want to win,” Ryan told Fox Business’ Stuart Varney. “We lost the House, the Senate, the White House in the space of two years. I don’t want to repeat that. I want to win.”

“The only reason [Trump] stays where he is is because everybody’s afraid of him,” Ryan said in another interview. “They’re afraid of him going after them, hurting their own ambition. But as soon as you sort of get the herd mentality going, it’s unstoppable.”

In September, Ryan said February 2024 could mark a turning point for the party if Trump’s GOP presidential rivals consolidate to deprive him of the nomination.

Paul Ryan, the Republican former House speaker-turned-Fox Corp. board member, has summed up Donald Trump as a “populist, authoritarian narcissist.”

The former president is “not a conservative,” Ryan declared during a recent virtual interview hosted by CEO advisory firm Teneo that the Republican Accountability group unearthed and shared on X (formerly Twitter) on Wednesday.

Trump’s tendencies “are basically where narcissism takes him, which is whatever makes him popular, makes him feel good at any given moment,” Ryan said. “He doesn’t think in classical ‘liberal-conservative’ terms. He thinks in an authoritarian way. And he’s been able to get a big chunk of the Republican base to follow him because he’s the culture warrior.”

Ry
an, who served in Congress as a Wisconsin Republican, talked about how former Reps. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) and Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) had “paid for” their criticism of Trump with their congressional careers.

And he claimed that more Republicans in Congress now wish they’d taken a stand against Trump when he was impeached for a second time for inciting the deadly U.S. Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021.

The House voted 232-197 in favor of impeaching Trump. The Senate voted 57 to 43 to convict Trump, 10 votes short of the 67 required for it to actually happen.

They thought “Trump was dead,” Ryan said. “They thought after Jan. 6, he wasn’t going to have a comeback, he was dead. So they figured, ‘I’m not going to take this heat, I’m not going to vote against this impeachment, because he’s gone anyway.’ But what’s happened is he’s been resurrected.”

“There has to be some line, some principle that is so important to you that you’re just not going to cross, so that when you’re brushing your teeth in the morning, look yourself in the mirror, you like what you see," the ex-congressman continued, saying he believes Cheney and Kinzinger are "liking what they see."

There are “a lot of people who already regret not getting him out of the way when they could have,” Ryan added. “So I think history will be kind to those people who saw what was happening and called it out, even though it was at the expense of their personal well-being.”

Ryan condemned Trump before the 2016 election, but went on to work alongside him as House speaker to pass major tax cuts. He left Congress in 2019 to become a director of Fox Corp., a position that has earned him criticism for his apparent reluctance to call out the divisive rhetoric peddled on Fox News.

Last year, Ryan said “anybody not named Trump” would be a better option for the Republican Party in the 2024 presidential election.

“We know we’re so much more likely to lose with Trump, because of the fact that he is not popular with suburban voters that we’re gonna want to win,” Ryan told Fox Business’ Stuart Varney. “We lost the House, the Senate, the White House in the space of two years. I don’t want to repeat that. I want to win.”

“The only reason [Trump] stays where he is is because everybody’s afraid of him,” Ryan said in another interview. “They’re afraid of him going after them, hurting their own ambition. But as soon as you sort of get the herd mentality going, it’s unstoppable.”

In September, Ryan said February 2024 could mark a turning point for the party if Trump’s GOP presidential rivals consolidate to deprive him of the nomination.
Awesome!

Now do Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney!!!

We should start a GoFundMe. It’s a terrible and apparently life long affliction.

They are in full blown panic mode. We are currently here with the regurgitation of talking points…

“Tell these people something they don’t already know about me”

Reactions: fatman76
1baef25aca1a400d.png

Of course he isn’t a conservative he is a con man the only people that cannot see that are the sheep he has conned. Sad.

PERFECT response. The lib thought because he is called a republican that we side with him!! SO UNINFORMED, and not very bright. And it showed in spades with that idiotic post he made.
No son, you’re in a cult, we know where you stand.

Reactions: emekz1
PERFECT response. The lib thought because he is called a republican that we side with him!! SO UNINFORMED, and not very bright. And it showed in spades with that idiotic post he made.
You do realize it wasn't me saying any of that, don't you?

LOL, I can always tell how close to the mark something hits by the responses.

And ANOTHER Trump close associate is guilty..... Imagine that. Rudy sold his sole to the devil and pays the price... Just like they all do.
1) Hyper-partisan jury in DC was never going to give him a fair trial
2) The awarded amounts were insane
3) Everything Rudy said was factually true
4) All of the above means he’ll win on appeal in a much more fair jurisdiction

• Haha
Reactions: Mdfgator
You do realize it wasn't me saying any of that, don't you?

LOL, I can always tell how close to the mark something hits by the responses.
You STILL have NO CLUE what you posted, and why it is RIDICULOUS. our "education/indoctrination" failed you in REAL life! LOLOLOL You cannot make this stuff up! LOLOL HILARIOUS tht you think Ryan's opinion matters to ANY of us. I will let you in on a clue. INFORMED conservatives do not like Ryan, and WE are the reason he...Cheney, Jeff Snowflake, and soon Mitt Romney will be out of a job.

Reactions: fatman76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT