ADVERTISEMENT

Gators practice

Man, you want our offense to suck SO bad, and sadgator wants it to be SO good to shove it up your ass!

Can’t wait for the season to start and see who is right! This is the best time of year!!!!!!!!!

It’s a funny thing that happens on a message board when you get really down on the team, player and/or coach, usually by arguing against posters on the other side, and you create a conflict between the team’s success and the correctness of your opinions. I’ve done it a couple times, and I try to guard against it now, because you find some part of yourself actually rooting against the Gators, just so you can be right.

And I think Fever is correct that our recruiting is lagging, even with the recent additions. But given our recent history, and given how much time is left to signing day, I’m not ready to pile it all on Mullen.

Man, you want our offense to suck SO bad, and sadgator wants it to be SO good to shove it up your ass!

Can’t wait for the season to start and see who is right! This is the best time of year!!!!!!!!!

I would love to be wrong but Franks is what he is I am afraid. The best Mullen can probably hope for is to reduce the Driskeling some but in this offense that is going to be tough. Everyone here ends up wrong about a lot of stuff buy I have never had much faith in Franks after watching him with the bullets flying.

I can't knock someone just for having blind faith but I do think anyone that thinks Franks is just going to turn things around in a huge way has probably smoked some really good stuff lately. I also think Mullen wont put up with Frank's stuff long if he doesn't show quick improvement and will put one of the other QBs in as the starter.

I would love to be wrong but Franks is what he is I am afraid. The best Mullen can probably hope for is to reduce the Driskeling some but in this offense that is going to be tough. Everyone here ends up wrong about a lot of stuff buy I have never had much faith in Franks after watching him with the bullets flying.

I can't knock someone just for having blind faith but I do think anyone that thinks Franks is just going to turn things around in a huge way has probably smoked some really good stuff lately. I also think Mullen wont put up with Frank's stuff long if he doesn't show quick improvement and will put one of the other QBs in as the starter.

Doug Nussmeier coached your QBs last year. Dan Mullen is your QB coach this year. No idea who starts, but better QB play is guaranteed.

Franks will never be great but people underrate just how garbage our system was. We did things schematically that just made no sense. For example we’d zone block on a run play from bunched formations. The entire point of zone blocking is to allow your linemen to work up to the second level...that can’t happen with 9 defenders within 5 yards of the box or from a tight formation. That’s why it would look like we had a mass of people at the LOS and no hole.

Our pass concepts were just as garbage. We’d try to flood a zone rolling right then have all the routes in the same area. There’s one of those examples in the Michigan game were the outside receiver runs an out and we run a corner route behind it and the way we ran it there was no spacing...either route Franks threw it too a defender would have got a hand on it. But fans will blame the QB after the fact. And our receivers weren’t great either. Guys like Hammond and Swain are slow and rarely got separation. Brandon Powell was 5’7 on a good day, not exactly a good target. It wasn’t just Franks. And I say that as someone who’s been a Franks critic from day one.

Doug Nussmeier coached your QBs last year. Dan Mullen is your QB coach this year. No idea who starts, but better QB play is guaranteed.

Not sold on that myself just because of the change in the system. Franks does crap that isn't coached into a QB at any level. I think Franks will turn the ball over even more in this system unless Mullen really limits him running the ball. I almost wish Jones got most of the QB time in the opening game to see if we could just bring him along.

Not sold on that myself just because of the change in the system. Franks does crap that isn't coached into a QB at any level. I think Franks will turn the ball over even more in this system unless Mullen really limits him running the ball. I almost wish Jones got most of the QB time in the opening game to see if we could just bring him along.

Is Franks the only QB on your roster? You seem to be trying to spin that Franks is a disaster and Mullen has no choice but to play him and that means the offense is doomed to be a disaster.

Franks will play better under Mullen than he did under Nussmeier. All your QBs will. As a result, your offense will be better as well.

Better coaching means better play. College football 101.

Is Franks the only QB on your roster? You seem to be trying to spin that Franks is a disaster and Mullen has no choice but to play him and that means the offense is doomed to be a disaster.

Franks will play better under Mullen than he did under Nussmeier. All your QBs will. As a result, your offense will be better as well.

Better coaching means better play. College football 101.

He is the likely starter and the only one who has taken a snap in a college game. Better coaching wont mean a lot better play in this case against SEC competition I think just because of what Mullen runs and Franks tendency to do crazy crap when under duress. I think it makes fumbling a lot bigger issue probably.

BTW another nugget on Nussemier.

In 2013, Blake Sims was the 7th leading rusher for Bama, totaling 67 yards and no TDs. Nussmeier was the OC.

In 2014, Kiffin took over as OC. Kiffin took Sims the RB, and moved him to QB.

In 2014 under Kiffin, Sims threw for 3500 yards and 28 TDs. And rushed for another 350 yards and 7 more TDs. Sims went from 0 TDs under Nussmeiter, to 35 under Kiffin.

And Mullen is better at developing QBs than Kiffin is. Kiffin's strength is in playcalling.

I know Fever has his schtick that he's sticking to, but I hope the realists here appreciate him much of an improvement in QB play you will see in going from Nussmeier to Mullen.

Florida's offense is going to be a lot of fun to watch under Mullen. Enjoy.

Reactions: sadgator
BTW another nugget on Nussemier.

In 2013, Blake Sims was the 7th leading rusher for Bama, totaling 67 yards and no TDs. Nussmeier was the OC.

In 2014, Kiffin took over as OC. Kiffin took Sims the RB, and moved him to QB.

In 2014 under Kiffin, Sims threw for 3500 yards and 28 TDs. And rushed for another 350 yards and 7 more TDs. Sims went from 0 TDs under Nussmeiter, to 35 under Kiffin.

And Mullen is better at developing QBs than Kiffin is. Kiffin's strength is in playcalling.

I know Fever has his schtick that he's sticking to, but I hope the realists here appreciate him much of an improvement in QB play you will see in going from Nussmeier to Mullen.

Florida's offense is going to be a lot of fun to watch under Mullen. Enjoy.

Hell we were able to spin here Nuss was a decent OC when hired and Michigan wasn't really his fault based on past stops.

Not sure if Mullen put it out there but Franks supposedly had 3 turnovers when the defense was released on him in that scrimmage - not sure what the 3 turnovers were. Trask had one I think I heard.

Well a lot of us spun it that him and Mac would be alright together and used selective crap to claim they were alright running offenses.

I suspect McElwain hired Nussmeier because he followed him at Bama at OC so he assumed he must be good. Nick was going to fire him at the end of the 2013 and told him to find another job or he would.

Rookie coaching mistake. He made a lot of them at Florida, will be interesting to see where his career is 10 years from now, he's a good offensive coach, hope he learns from this.

I suspect McElwain hired Nussmeier because he followed him at Bama at OC so he assumed he must be good. Nick was going to fire him at the end of the 2013 and told him to find another job or he would.

Rookie coaching mistake. He made a lot of them at Florida, will be interesting to see where his career is 10 years from now, he's a good offensive coach, hope he learns from this.

Not sure about Mac because it was easy at Bama just to pound teams and then have an easy passing game as a result. Baldwin who got hung out to dry after Mac decided to go with Nuss pretty much ran that CSU offense from what people say. It seems Mac's decision to take Nuss ended up screwing a lot of people.

"When you get people who are naturally gifted like that, (6-5 WR Grimes) I think it makes it easier on my part,'' Franks said. "You know, just to put the ball up and let him go get it." (as opposed to accurately delivering the ball)
Sometimes it's the QB that carries the team, and sometimes it's the team that has to try to carry a QB....
=====

S Quincy Lenton 5-11 207 rsSo is injured (torn ACL) out for the season. Jus-damn! :(
Some seem to think that this means that OLB/SS Amari Burney 6-1 222 takes his reps, but not me. I see Burney staying at OLB. The one I see is another Fr DB, Trey Dean III 6-3 194 - UA-AA

RB/DB Iverson Clement 5-11 202 Fr has volunteered to move over to help out in the secondary, partially due to the RB roster being so loaded for now. When Iverson was recruited, I thought that he might end up playing more than one position, because he's such a gifted all around athlete. Dan says that he's a RB and this is only temporary.

I like how Dan looks at the strings and depth issues. He said that he'd like the 1's to get about 45 plays in a game, and the 2's to get 35 plays in a game. That's not an old-school starter/backup mentality. Guys are playing for their 'reps' at practice and in the games, not to see who the starter is going to be, and that changes from day to day at practice, and from week to week in the games. He also never uses the term or the attitude, that some on the team are 'scrubs' instead of being active parts of the TEAM. Everyone has to 'earn' their plays, so 'anyone' can 'earn' some plays in a game.

For another example, all of the receivers are getting reps at every wide receiver spot. Versatility.

QB/Ath Nick Sproles 6-2 215 rsSo
is also getting practice reps with the other 3 QB's.
There is no need to diss on Sproles, he's not just a scrub, he's a Gator WO QB.
HS Sr: 63.7% on his passes (144-226) for 2,006 yds, 15 TD's, plus 4 rushing TD's.
Metro Conference – Phil King 2015-2016 Athlete of the Year
Winter Park HS – Male Athlete of the Year (Senior Class)
Orange County Senior Bowl – East Starting QB
Winter Park HS – MVP 2015 Varsity Football
Played on his HS basketball team that made it to the 8A Final-4 State Championship

"Everybody looked good in 7 on 7 passing. Then all of a sudden you put pass rush, you put some more guys in some blitzes, you’re hot, you have to do some other things. Different story. When the Gators went to 11-on-11 later in practice, all 3 QB's struggled to complete passes and consistently move the offense. The one that should have the 'experience' advantage,,, doesn't.

IMO, Dan is a true 'players coach,' and he's my kind of guy, on and off the field.

Not we. Y’ALL. I knew better.

Ooz led the charge. But once everyone got a good look at his track record at UA and UM, there was a pretty healthy consensus that he was trash. I mean the guy put an option quarterback, a pretty good one, in a pro style offense and wanted him to run play action. The results were predictably horrific and probably ruined about a half dozen coaches and players’ careers.

Reactions: oozie7
Hiring Nuss for me was when the alarm bells really started ringing. Someone on here, maybe Ooz or Michi, was like: he’s not going to run his CSU offense, he’s going to run the smash mouth ‘Bama offense (that even they had abandoned by that point). And that was unfortunately exactly right.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Did Nuss even get picked up anywhere? I know the fat clown went from HC at a top 10 job to WR coach which is a job they usually give to GA’s just to recruit. If that ain’t telling.

Not sure about Mac because it was easy at Bama just to pound teams and then have an easy passing game as a result. Baldwin who got hung out to dry after Mac decided to go with Nuss pretty much ran that CSU offense from what people say. It seems Mac's decision to take Nuss ended up screwing a lot of people.

I said this from day one of the Mac era and was told I was wring and Baldwin sucked. Anyone who liked the Nuss hire was just using blinders.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Hiring Nuss for me was when the alarm bells really started ringing. Someone on here, maybe Ooz or Michi, was like: he’s not going to run his CSU offense, he’s going to run the smash mouth ‘Bama offense (that even they had abandoned by that point). And that was unfortunately exactly right.

Said it the minute Foley flew to Colorado. Never was Mac bringing anything exciting. And after the Muschamp Era I could NOT for the life of me figure why Foley went back to a coach with a similar offensive philosophy. Mac was successful at Bama with an entire line that went to the NFL and 3 backs that went to the NFL. Anyone could have called that offense.

Reactions: sadgator
He is the likely starter and the only one who has taken a snap in a college game. Better coaching wont mean a lot better play in this case against SEC competition I think just because of what Mullen runs and Franks tendency to do crazy crap when under duress. I think it makes fumbling a lot bigger issue probably.

The thing is, I will NOT put QB play on Mullen. He landed his QB of choice in his first three classes within 6 months on the job. He was handed trash. And honestly, I hope he goes to Emory soon. If someone is foing to struggle let it be the kid who can actually run this offense. We’ve watched two consecutive coaches fool us with early wins. Mullen needs to get this shit fixed and if it coats us a win this year for a half dozen the next two years, just do it. I hope to see a situation like how Zook managed to get Leak in there soon as a frosh. Give us HOPE Dan!

Foley made the mistake long before he went and got Mac. He should have either fired Muschamp after year 3 OR given him at least one more year, likely two. It was dumb to fire him for going 7-5 after going 4-8 because once you go 4-8 you have to know it’s a rebuild and is gonna take some time. It’s not like teams regularly go from 4-8 to 10-2 or 11-1. So if you knew 7-5 or 8-4 the next year wasn’t gonna be good enough then fire him after 4-8 and Franklin might be the coach right now. Instead he did neither which basically lost us two recruiting classes.

It gets worse when you realize he spent 7 million on a buyout for McElwain and the game against them this year is basically another payment to them. Look around the country at the buyout numbers for some of the top coaches....we paid 7 million for that bum in a year where he lost 3 games after two mediocre seasons before then. Foley was a disaster hiring football coaches.

The thing is, I will NOT put QB play on Mullen. He landed his QB of choice in his first three classes within 6 months on the job. He was handed trash. And honestly, I hope he goes to Emory soon. If someone is foing to struggle let it be the kid who can actually run this offense.

Reminds me of a Charlie Stubbs quote when he took over at Bama in 1998 as OC. He had senior John David Phillips and FR Andrew Zow competing for QB. Early on, both struggled and Stubbs said "If my QB is going to make freshman mistakes, then I am going to let a freshman make them", and started Zow.

Starting a true freshman at QB could work for Florida this year because teams don't have tape on Florida's offense under Mullen (They have MSU tape, which will help but isn't he same thing), and of course no one has tape on Jones in college. So if he can handle running the offense, it might be worth making the move.

Did Nuss even get picked up anywhere? I know the fat clown went from HC at a top 10 job to WR coach which is a job they usually give to GA’s just to recruit. If that ain’t telling.

I think he ended up on the coaching staff of the Dallas Cowboys if I remember correctly as a position coach.

Foley made the mistake long before he went and got Mac. He should have either fired Muschamp after year 3 OR given him at least one more year, likely two. It was dumb to fire him for going 7-5 after going 4-8 because once you go 4-8 you have to know it’s a rebuild and is gonna take some time. It’s not like teams regularly go from 4-8 to 10-2 or 11-1. So if you knew 7-5 or 8-4 the next year wasn’t gonna be good enough then fire him after 4-8 and Franklin might be the coach right now. Instead he did neither which basically lost us two recruiting classes.

It gets worse when you realize he spent 7 million on a buyout for McElwain and the game against them this year is basically another payment to them. Look around the country at the buyout numbers for some of the top coaches....we paid 7 million for that bum in a year where he lost 3 games after two mediocre seasons before then. Foley was a disaster hiring football coaches.

Never good when you’re firing someone six months after extending them.

Reactions: oozie7

You are correct. It ahould have been Muschamp fired after 4-8 and Franklin hired.

But Jeremy Foley was going to try and outsmart everyone as long as he was here. And I refuse to out that idiocy on Mullen. Foley honestly left a complete trainwreck in football. A decade of bad decisions can’t be fixed overnight

I want Emory asap so I am no Franks apologist. But I think you may be reading too much into this. I have a feeling it was so bad under Mac and Nuss no teaching was taking place.

Unfortunately his play on the field previously and his interviews lead me to believe Franks won't be saved by Mullen. I have a hard time believing Trask can be a worse option even if he isn't as quick as Franks. I think Trask could at least live with a bad play and move on to the next without flipping out and just making things worse. But then again he hasn't played since high school in a backup role.

I was optimistic in Mac but the Nuss here was a huge head scratcher, but at the time, I wasn't too worried because I had had faith in Will Grier from day one.

When that fell apart, I knew we were in trouble yet somehow he pulled out back to back SECCG appearances.

Michigan was it for me. That was a nightmare. It said it alls

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Agree. The curtain was totally pulled back after that piss poor performance. It was impossible to be optimistic after that one, and he lost most of us right there. It was so bad.

Harbaugh just completely pantsed fatso. Not just that he brutally outschemed him, which he did, but his players were so much better prepared and tougher. Harbaugh probably hired Mac just so he can give him crap about that game. Hopefully he makes Mac watch tape of that game daily in front of the rest of the staff while he makes belittling comments.

Reactions: oozie7 and sadgator
Harbaugh just completely pantsed fatso. Not just that he brutally outschemed him, which he did, but his players were so much better prepared and tougher. Harbaugh probably hired Mac just so he can give him crap about that game. Hopefully he makes Mac watch tape of that game daily in front of the rest of the staff while he makes belittling comments.

LOL

I remember going into the game saying we should win with them losing 30+ seniors, but I knew we wouldn’t. Wasn’t a hard choice for me...Harbaugh vs. Mac and Shannon, Brown vs. Nuss, that’s easy money. Save their two gift interceptions they run us out the building by 30. We already saw what happened in that bowl game and we had the better team then too.

I remember going into the game saying we should win with them losing 30+ seniors, but I knew we wouldn’t. Wasn’t a hard choice for me...Harbaugh vs. Mac and Shannon, Brown vs. Nuss, that’s easy money. Save their two gift interceptions they run us out the building by 30. We already saw what happened in that bowl game and we had the better team then too.

For me, it was them losing all those seniors, us going into year three of the system, plenty of experience, and a while off season to prepare and gameplan, and that was the product we put on the field.

I truly couldn't understand how in 3 years, we couldn't progress at all, and even regressed.

Under Muschamp, I couldn't understand how (and Michu will vouch for me because we had some phone calls about it) it could be possible that Driskell couldn't possibly progress going into his Junior year. The defense was talented, and we had some talent on offense.

But there we were, season starts and Driskel managed to REGRESS. Muschamp at least had other things working, though his offensive recruiting wasn't great.

Mac, who really nailed it on offensive recruiting (by-and-large) regressed the whole team EVERY season.

Hats unbelievable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT