ADVERTISEMENT

Gators practice

Yeah Norvell is a dominant recruiter. Memphis had the 8th best class in the American Athletic Conference last year.

Fever says the guy that signed the #17 class is a crappy recruiter, and wants to get a good recruiter.......like the guy that signed the #81 class.

Goodness.

And you compare Mississippi State to Alabama, Auburn and LSU.

And isn't it curious that they're preseason 18? Nah...I bet that's all because of that OC they hired from Penn State.

Nothing to do with what Mullen built there.

If course I would grade that on a curve but its hard to get around some of the numbers regardless.

You think this new coach at MSU can beat some teams that end up ranked? Dan had a tough time doing that even with their best team in 2014 but did get a winning SEC season that year.

They should be decent I would think as long as the new coach keeps using the running ability of that QB and doesn't try to pass too much this first transition year.

3-34 and one season out of nine is all I needed to see.

He's literally the greatest coach in the history of their program.

But apparently his recruiting and player development is so atrocious that he set up a team that's ranked in the Top 20 now.

But but yeah, because he has a bad record against teams with far more resources and talent than his, he's a shit coach.

It's like you can't even fathom how to silly you sound sometimes. Especially with this Mike Norvell stuff. Dudes not even a good recruiter in an Non-Power 5 conference.

Yap yap yap

Fevered-Brain and I just keep pointing out the cold hard facts on 3* Dans recruiting to date. :eek:

:D:D:D:D

2018 Class = 2 *****, 17 ****, 5 ***, 1 ** P-WO

2019 Class = 11 ****, 2 ***

Momma always said,,, Stupid is, as stupid does.... o_O
(and that's why they nailed his head to-da-flor)

Reactions: BucaNole
Mullen inherited a program that was unranked and worst in the SEC, and when he left they were #20.

Brilliant hire.

Yep 3-34 against final AP top 25 teams and 1 winning SEC season in 9 years equals brilliance. :D

Heck just getting lucky with turnovers sometimes should get better results than that even with some talent gap.

Sherrill's first 9 years were better imo and he had quite a few winning SEC seasons unlike Mullen plus big wins that Mullen never had.
You do realize Mullen had a better winning percentage than Sherrill at Miss St. correct? You do realize Jackie Sherril was caught cheating at Miss St as well correct.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
You do realize Mullen had a better winning percentage than Sherrill at Miss St. correct? You do realize Jackie Sherril was caught cheating at Miss St as well correct.

Maybe just a little better over 9 years there compared to Sherrill's first 9 years but he was no where close to him in big wins and decent SEC seasons.

Sherrill's first 9 years were better imo and he had quite a few winning SEC seasons unlike Mullen plus big wins that Mullen never had.

Maybe just a little better over 9 years there compared to Sherrill's first 9 years but he was no where close to him in big wins and decent SEC seasons.
Huh? Pretty sure Mullen was much better. Mullen took Miss St to 8 bowl games over 9 years. Sherril to just 5 bowl game. Mullen went 6-2 in those bowl games whereas Sherrill went 1-4.

Then you have to take into account that Sherrill cheated as well.

Yeah and Hugh Freeze will be the best coach in Ole Miss history according to you.

I went back and did all the math and records in MSU history and posted it after Dan was hired.

His volume of work at non-despicable college town that doesn't have he same resources as other major SEC schools is unbelievable.

But you just dismiss all of that because you are obsessed with your narrative.

Btw, you still haven't seemed to be able to explains how Dans shorty choschimg and recruiting got MSU a top 20 ranking this year.

Inconvenient truths are truly inconvenient for you.

Is this dude even serious?

Is he old enough to remember Jackie Sherrill or going off some wikpedia looking at MSU records back then?

After Gene Stallings left Bama in the mid 90's the SEC West was not crap. Mike freaking Dubose took over that program.

It basically had Tommy Bowden...whom got fired...Ole Miss on probation and a coach that left them to go to Auburn in Tuberville.

LSU was coached by Curly Hullman and Gerry DiNardo for crying out loud.

Houston Nutt was coaching Arkansas. Yes the same guy fired by not one...but two SEC schools.

But Jackie Sherrill with some illegally recruited players knocked off Spurrier once...at home...before the stubborn Spurrier realized Rex was his best QB on the roster.

So JS is better than Dan?

Last edited:
Dan Mullen's worst years at State was his first year at 5-7 and later a 6-7 year. Jackie Sherrill first 9 years included a 4-5-2, 3-8, 5-6 records.

Sherrill’s career at Miss St wasn’t even has close as good as Mullen’s career at Miss St. But we are dealing with a so called realist remember?

Is this dude even serious?

Is he old enough to remember Jackie Sherrill or going off some wikpedia looking at MSU records back then?

After Gene Stallings left Bama in the mid 90's the SEC West was not crap. Mike freaking Dubose took over that program.

It basically had Tommy Bowden...whom got fired...Ole Miss on probation and a coach that left them to go to Auburn in Tuberville.

LSU was coached by Curly Hullman and Gerry DiNardo for crying out loud.

Houston Nutt was coaching Arkansas. Yes the same guy fired by not one...but two SEC schools.

But Jackie Sherrill with some illegally recruited players knocked off Spurrier once...at home...before the stubborn Spurrier realized Rex was his best QB on the roster.

So JS is better than Dan?

Mullen literally beat maybe one team in 9 years in the SEC that ended up with a respectable record. Heck I think even those 3 wins against final AP top 25 teams that two of them had 4 losses that season.

So we have a coach that went 3-34 against teams that were ranked in the final poll, had only one winning SEC season in 9 years and only one time in 9 years beat an SEC team that went better then 8-4 in the regular season.

Heck even in that so called magical 2014 season with Prescott they only beat one team that ended up ranked and that team had 5 losses that season.

Last edited:
Reactions: nail1988
I don’t think that 3 wins against final ranked teams thing is even accurate. In 2014 alone they had two in Auburn and LSU. LSU last year was another one. He beat Ole Miss his first year which finished ranked 20th. That’s four and all I’ve done is look at his first season, his last season, and the 2014 season people always mention. And then when you consider most of his AP losses were against Bama and LSU, teams that were infinitely more talented than his, that stat loses a lot of meaning.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Mullen literally beat maybe one team in 9 years in the SEC that ended up with a respectable record. Heck I think even those 3 wins against final AP top 25 teams that two of them had 4 losses that season.

So we have a coach that went 3-34 against teams that were ranked in the final poll, had only one winning SEC season in 9 years and only one time in 9 years beat an SEC team that went better then 8-4 in the regular season.

Heck even in that so called magical 2014 season with Prescott they only beat one team that ended up ranked and that team had 5 losses that season.

You like to copy 247 info so go back a month or so. Goldkamp had an article of Coaches records when facing teams without a talent advantage. He was one of, if not, THE best.

This demonstrates his coaching ability to be at a very high level and takes in to accout that the liklihood of him beating a school with Bamas talent advantage just isn’t good. And no, MSU with even Urban wouldn’t be able to compete recruiting wise with the likes of Bama and LSU.

You also realize other than the loss to Barn, MIss St was Bamas closest game last year

You like to copy 247 info so go back a month or so. Goldkamp had an article of Coaches records when facing teams without a talent advantage. He was one of, if not, THE best.

This demonstrates his coaching ability to be at a very high level and takes in to accout that the liklihood of him beating a school with Bamas talent advantage just isn’t good. And no, MSU with even Urban wouldn’t be able to compete recruiting wise with the likes of Bama and LSU.

You also realize other than the loss to Barn, MIss St was Bamas closest game last year

Yep, Miss State outplayed us bigly in that game. Hurts played out of his mind for once in the 2nd half, only reason we won.

I do remember Mullen beating Meyer in Gainesville in I believe 2010 correct?

@Gator Fever

3* Dan HAS the WORST record vs. AP ranked teams of ALL time :eek:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/m...n-mullen-worst-record-vs-ap-ranked-team-time/

:D:D

Last edited:
The record against the top 25 argument is so inanely idiotic, it drives me crazy. Curiously, James Franklin and Willie Taggert also both have awful records in that regard, and I think we can all agree that Franklin is a hell of a coach. It's almost like coaching at schools like Vandy and Mississippi State and beating teams far more talented than you is hard to do.

Get something more original than that argument, because it's dumb as hell. Mississippi State isn't suppose to consistently beat the Georgia's, Auburn's, LSU's, and Alabama's of the world.

Mullen literally beat maybe one team in 9 years in the SEC that ended up with a respectable record.

2017 -- 9-4
MsSt 37 - 7 LSU 9-4 (+30 -- looks like a respectable win to me)

MsSt 24 - 31 UA 13-1 NC (-7 vs NC defines a 'respectable' loss)

8-4 MsSt 31 - 27 UL 8-4 - Tax Slayer Bowl (+4)
(Resulting in 9-4 MsSt -- UL 8-5)

VS two middle of the pack SEC bowl teams:
MsSt 45 - 7 UK ----- MsSt 35 - 14 aTm (helped run Slumlin outta town)
==========

2016 -- 6-7 - an off year for them.

6-7 MsSt 35 - 28 aTm 8-5
Won St.Pete Bowl vs Mia (OH)

2015 - 9-4

MsSt 34 - 16 SMs 9-5
MsSt 45 - 20 LaT 9-4
MsSt 51 - 50 Ark 8-5
8-4 MsSt 51 - 28 NCSt 7-5 - Belk Bowl
(resulting in 9-4 MsSt -- NCSt 7-6

2014 - 10-3

MsSt 34 - 29 LSU 8-5
MsSt 48 - 31 aTm 8-5
MsSt 38 - 23 AU 8-5
MsSt 20 - 25 UA 12-2 (MsSt was 9-0 going into that game @ Alabama)

2013 - 7-6

MsSt 20 - 24 @ AU 12-2 (-4)
MsSt 17 - 10 MS 8-5
6-6 MsSt 44 - 7 Rice 10-3 Liberty Bowl
(resulting in 7-6 MsSt - Rice 10-4)

Keeping in mind that MsSt is the 2nd smallest SEC school ahead of only Vandy.
As good as Franklin is (now HC at PSU), he never took VU to 8 consecutive bowls going 6-2)

Any pretty good coach can have a decent year at MsSt or VU, but Dan's consistency was outstanding.

======

Mike Norvell - Cent. Ark, Tulsa, Pitt, AzSt, Memphis
Memphis 18-8 (9-4 Ave) but 0-2 in bowls.

2017 10-3 Memphis lost to Frost/UCF twice, and to 8-5 IoSt in the Liberty Bowl
They played 6 teams with losing records, plus a D2.

2016 8-5 Memphis lost to 5-7 MS, 9-5 Navy, 10-3 Tulsa, & WKy in Baca Raton Bowl.

Let Norvell take a VU or a MsSt to 8 consecutive bowls, going 6-2 in them, before telling me that he would be a better HC at UF than Dan Mullen, that also has 2 NC's as UF's OC... o_O ----- Realist my akin'-azz... :rolleyes:

2017 -- 9-4
MsSt 37 - 7 LSU 9-4 (+30 -- looks like a respectable win to me)

MsSt 24 - 31 UA 13-1 NC (-7 vs NC defines a 'respectable' loss)

8-4 MsSt 31 - 27 UL 8-4 - Tax Slayer Bowl (+4)
(Resulting in 9-4 MsSt -- UL 8-5)

VS two middle of the pack SEC bowl teams:
MsSt 45 - 7 UK ----- MsSt 35 - 14 aTm (helped run Slumlin outta town)
==========

2016 -- 6-7 - an off year for them.

6-7 MsSt 35 - 28 aTm 8-5
Won St.Pete Bowl vs Mia (OH)

2015 - 9-4

MsSt 34 - 16 SMs 9-5
MsSt 45 - 20 LaT 9-4
MsSt 51 - 50 Ark 8-5
8-4 MsSt 51 - 28 NCSt 7-5 - Belk Bowl
(resulting in 9-4 MsSt -- NCSt 7-6

2014 - 10-3

MsSt 34 - 29 LSU 8-5
MsSt 48 - 31 aTm 8-5
MsSt 38 - 23 AU 8-5
MsSt 20 - 25 UA 12-2 (MsSt was 9-0 going into that game @ Alabama)

2013 - 7-6

MsSt 20 - 24 @ AU 12-2 (-4)
MsSt 17 - 10 MS 8-5
6-6 MsSt 44 - 7 Rice 10-3 Liberty Bowl
(resulting in 7-6 MsSt - Rice 10-4)

Keeping in mind that MsSt is the 2nd smallest SEC school ahead of only Vandy.
As good as Franklin is (now HC at PSU), he never took VU to 8 consecutive bowls going 6-2)

Any pretty good coach can have a decent year at MsSt or VU, but Dan's consistency was outstanding.

======

Mike Norvell - Cent. Ark, Tulsa, Pitt, AzSt, Memphis
Memphis 18-8 (9-4 Ave) but 0-2 in bowls.

2017 10-3 Memphis lost to Frost/UCF twice, and to 8-5 IoSt in the Liberty Bowl

2016 8-5 Memphis lost to 5-7 MS, 9-5 Navy, 10-3 Tulsa, & WKy in Baca Raton Bowl.

Let Norvell take a VU or a MsSt to 8 consecutive bowls, going 6-2 in them, before telling me that he would be a better HC at UF than Dan Mullen, that also has 2 NC's as UF's OC... o_O ----- Realist my akin'-azz... :rolleyes:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/m...n-mullen-worst-record-vs-ap-ranked-team-time/

2x BCS-NC OC at UF, Dan Mullen,,, or Big Game Bob at Choke-la-homo?

Choke-la-homo lost five BCS bowls in a row from 2004-09, including national title appearances in 2004, '05 and '09. There was also the unforgettable Fiesta Bowl against Boise State in '07. Stoops was also 1-4 against the SEC in bowls, including a 21-14 loss to a Nick Saban-coached LSU team in '04. So when Stoops referred to the SEC's dominance in college football as "propaganda" during this past offseason, it raised many eyebrows. It also caused more than a few people to point to the record books. (which this dust-bowl choker always tries to ignore) o_O

And their 'New & Improved' HC' follows the choker tradition in 2017:
UGly 54 - 48 CHOKE-la-homo's, with another loser/pretender Heisman QB. :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT