ADVERTISEMENT

Mann, Locke, Glover Gone - Who's Next?

We definitely need a true point guard. Andrew Nembhard led the nation in assist to turnover ratio this year at Gonzaga. Tre Mann, Tyree Appleby and Ques Glover were terrible in that department. Mann is a great player, just not a true PG.

Do you guys need a PG? After announcing a few weeks he was staying, UK PG Devin Askew has announced he’s entered the transfer portal.
Weren't your buddies from the UK boards just calling out Askew as a liability on the court not too long ago? Then again, it can't get any worse if he were to land in Gainesville.

• Haha
Reactions: ukalum1988
Nembhard is the same player he always has been and thought he was. He’s just on a better team with better players around him and a better coach. But he isn’t a good enough athlete to play PG at the next level because he struggles to defend and beat guys off the dribble and he can’t play SG because he isn’t a good shooter.

Reactions: gatordad3
Nembhard is the same player he always has been and thought he was. He’s just on a better team with better players around him and a better coach. But he isn’t a good enough athlete to play PG at the next level because he struggles to defend and beat guys off the dribble and he can’t play SG because he isn’t a good shooter.
He played ok tonight, but I agree I don't think he's nba prospect. But I'm sure he will be back next year.

He played ok tonight, but I agree I don't think he's nba prospect. But I'm sure he will be back next year.
He repeatedly got abused on the defensive end tonight. No of course he’s not an NBA prospect. You can’t make it in the NBA as a PG with the athleticism or lack of athleticism he has.

Baylor was the quicker, more athletic team and they dominated Gonzaga's 3 All Americans, Suggs, Kespert and Timme. To try to point a finger at Nembhard is plain stupid. The entire team was abused by a better Baylor team and if some are trying to say that Nembhard just went to a team surrounded by super stars, then why didn't those guys show up tonight? Baylor was the better team. Timme got dominated and had 5 turnovers, Kespert got dominated, Suggs scored a lot of points, but got in early dumb foul trouble and played out of control a lot. Nembhard didn't play great, but he led the team in assists, played more minutes than any of his teammates, was second in rebounds with FOUR and in no way can be blamed for the loss. It was total domination by a better team. Paco keeps dissing Nembhard when the fact is that he was never used properly at Florida, he IS a solid defensive player and proved it all year at Gonzaga and he helps his team by handling the ball, setting up teammates for easy baskets while limiting turnovers as well as any guard in the country. Will he make it in the NBA? Who knows, maybe not. But he's a very good college basketball player who helps a team greatly when a coach knows how to properly use his skills.

Reactions: gatordad3 and rdgtr
Baylor was the quicker, more athletic team and they dominated Gonzaga's 3 All Americans, Suggs, Kespert and Timme. To try to point a finger at Nembhard is plain stupid. The entire team was abused by a better Baylor team and if some are trying to say that Nembhard just went to a team surrounded by super stars, then why didn't those guys show up tonight? Baylor was the better team. Timme got dominated and had 5 turnovers, Kespert got dominated, Suggs scored a lot of points, but got in early dumb foul trouble and played out of control a lot. Nembhard didn't play great, but he led the team in assists, played more minutes than any of his teammates, was second in rebounds with FOUR and in no way can be blamed for the loss. It was total domination by a better team. Paco keeps dissing Nembhard when the fact is that he was never used properly at Florida, he IS a solid defensive player and proved it all year at Gonzaga and he helps his team by handling the ball, setting up teammates for easy baskets while limiting turnovers as well as any guard in the country. Will he make it in the NBA? Who knows, maybe not. But he's a very good college basketball player who helps a team greatly when a coach knows how to properly use his skills.
He’s a terrible defensive player. He was terrible defensively here at UF and he’s a terrible defensive player at Gonzaga. He got eaten up by Baylor’s guards all night long on the defensive end. Butler, Teague and Mitchell took turns scoring on him and then Flagler off Baylor’s bench got in on the action as well. Few said it himself in the post game press conference. We had no answer keeping their guards in front on the defensive end. The 4 leading scorers for Baylor tonight were all guards. He’s doesn’t have a true position. Not athletic enough to play PG and can’t shoot well enough to play SG. In fact he doesn’t shoot it will enough to play PG. Certainly not as a NBA prospect level. He’s not a very good college basketball player. He’s a decent college basketball player that are a dime a dozen. Chiozza, Taurean Green and Scottie Wilbekin were all better college PGs and none of those 3 even got drafted I don’t believe. I think Green may have got drafted like last pick of the draft by the Blazers if my memory serves me correctly.

Last edited:
He’s a terrible defensive player. He was terrible defensively here at UF and he’s a terrible defensive player at Gonzaga. He’s doesn’t have a true position. Not athletic enough to play PG and can’t shoot well enough to play SG. In fact he doesn’t shoot it will enough to play PG. Certainly not as a NBA prospect level. He’s not a very good college basketball player. He’s a decent college basketball player that are a dime a dozen. Chiozza, Taurean Green and Scottie Wilbekin were all better college PGs and none of those 3 even got drafted I don’t believe. I think Green may have got drafted like last pick of the draft by the Blazers if my memory serves me correctly.
Still think you're underappreciating him. If he had stayed at Florida, I'm confident we would have won 3-4 more games just by reducing turnovers and increasing assists. And he IS a good defensive player. I've watched basketball for 55 of my 69 years and that is my considered position. Don't know if he'll make it to the NBA, but most really good college players don't. Wilbekin is making a lot of money and doing very well in Europe. Nothing wrong with that. Green was the 52nd player drafted in 2007 by Portland, but has played in Europe since 2008. Nothing wrong with that. Chiozza was undrafted and has had tries with 3 NBA teams and is still hanging on in the G League. That's good. I like Wilbekin better than Nembhard, Green or Chiozza, just from his progression from freshman to senior. Green was surrounded by all those great players, like Nembhard with Gonzaga, except Florida's great players, with Green, won 2 Nattys. But I still think Andrew has his own skill set that has been much better used by Mark Few than what was done by Mike White. IMO Mike White just doesn't know what to do with what he's got. He's clueless.

Still think you're underappreciating him. If he had stayed at Florida, I'm confident we would have won 3-4 more games just by reducing turnovers and increasing assists. And he IS a good defensive player. I've watched basketball for 55 of my 69 years and that is my considered position. Don't know if he'll make it to the NBA, but most really good college players don't. Wilbekin is making a lot of money and doing very well in Europe. Nothing wrong with that. Green was the 52nd player drafted in 2007 by Portland, but has played in Europe since 2008. Nothing wrong with that. Chiozza was undrafted and has had tries with 3 NBA teams and is still hanging on in the G League. That's good. I like Wilbekin better than Nembhard, Green or Chiozza, just from his progression from freshman to senior. Green was surrounded by all those great players, like Nembhard with Gonzaga, except Florida's great players, with Green, won 2 Nattys. But I still think Andrew has his own skill set that has been much better used by Mark Few than what was done by Mike White. IMO Mike White just doesn't know what to do with what he's got. He's clueless.
I don’t think I’m under appreciating him. I’m just calling it like I see it. Maybe we would of won a few more games with him on the team and maybe we wouldn’t have. Who really knows. White isn’t a very good X’s and O’s coach and doesn’t really have a good offensive system. You really need to be able to beat your guy off the dribble to have much success in White’s offense. Which is why players like Chiozza and Mann have been able to have some offensive success under White.
We can agree to disagree about Nembhard’s defense. He’s a terrible defender. Got abused at UF by decent PGs and got abused tonight by Baylor’s guards. He’s not quick enough or physical enough to be a good defender. He doesn’t move his feet well at all and doesn’t use his body well when defending. Even against smaller PGs than him they are much quicker but he doesn’t even use his body well on the defensive end. He’s a little stiff defensively. He’s just a very average athlete at a position that requires you to be a very good athlete to make it in the NBA. He definitely can’t play the 2 because he’s not a good shooter. He will likely hang around in the G League or Europe for a long time which agree there is nothing wrong with that. Good for him. But let’s not make him out to be better than he is or some superstar.

FWIW Chiozza is actually in the NBA. He’s played in 18 games with the Nets this season and just played Sunday night.

I don’t think I’m under appreciating him. I’m just calling it like I see it. Maybe we would of won a few more games with him on the team and maybe we wouldn’t have. Who really knows. White isn’t a very good X’s and O’s coach and doesn’t really have a good offensive system. You really need to be able to beat your guy off the dribble to have much success in White’s offense. Which is why players like Chiozza and Mann have been able to have some offensive success under White.
We can agree to disagree about Nembhard’s defense. He’s a terrible defender. Got abused at UF by decent PGs and got abused tonight by Baylor’s guards. He’s not quick enough or physical enough to be a good defender. He doesn’t move his feet well at all and doesn’t use his body well when defending. Even against smaller PGs than him they are much quicker but he doesn’t even use his body well on the defensive end. He’s a little stiff defensively. He’s just a very average athlete at a position that requires you to be a very good athlete to make it in the NBA. He definitely can’t play the 2 because he’s not a good shooter. He will likely hang around in the G League or Europe for a long time which agree there is nothing wrong with that. Good for him. But let’s not make him out to be better than he is or some superstar.

FWIW Chiozza is actually in the NBA. He’s played in 18 games with the Nets this season and just played Sunday night.
No problem with anything you said except I never said Nembhard was a superstar. I just think he's a better player than you think he is. Good for Cheeze, too. He was an extremely hard worker at UF - tough kid and a gamer. Wish him only the best. I remember Wilbekin coming from "The Rock" school in Gainesville and playing at Florida as a 17 year old freshman. Boy did he develop. He was tough as nails and an excellent player his last 2 years.

Last edited:
Just thinking about how good this team was in 2017. I got a chance to see them in the Auburn Arena on Feb 14. What a display UF put on that night. Unfortunately it was also the night John Egbunu was injured (never to return). With him gone and Hayes forced to play post we never got back to that level. That team would have beaten South Carolina and made the final four. We have been average ever since.

Just thinking about how good this team was in 2017. I got a chance to see them in the Auburn Arena on Feb 14. What a display UF put on that night. Unfortunately it was also the night John Egbunu was injured (never to return). With him gone and Hayes forced to play post we never got back to that level. That team would have beaten South Carolina and made the final four. We have been average ever since.
If we had a healthy Egbunu, no doubt we would have swept Kentucky as well. Egbunu was totally unstoppable till his injury.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Let's see now on Coach Mike White.

1. He's clueless about basketball, both offense and defense.
~~ All time winning record, CoY in all 3 conferences, never a losing season as HC.
It only took Mike 4 more games (158) than BillyD (154) to reach 100 wins at UF. The thing about that is Mike was playing way tougher SoS''s to get there than BillyD played.

2. He can't coach a lick, so none of his players ever progress.
~~ LaTech PG Career Ast Record
UF PG Career Ast Record. (proves Speedy Smith wasn't an accident)
KJ - SEC Preseason PoY
Castleton 2X SEC PoW
Barry - SEC 6th Man Award
And there are others....
Johnson and Kerry Blackshear Jr. earned All-SEC honors, and Scottie Lewis locked up a spot on the SEC All-Freshman team. In SEC play, the Gators led the SEC in field goal percentage (.470) and 3-point percentage (.376), while Noah Locke led the conference in 3-point percentage (.481).
The Gators accomplished all that while fielding one of the youngest teams in the nation and what would’ve been the youngest team in the entire NCAA Tournament field if not scamdemic cancelled....

3. He can't win a championship at anything.
~~ The Gators earned the Charleston Classic championship, led by MVP Keyontae Johnson, defeating 18th-ranked Xavier in the championship. >>> It marked UF’s first holiday tournament championship since 2009.

4. He can't recruit because no one would ever want to play for him.
~~ Several HS 5 stars, many 4 stars, and he's one of the best at portal xfer in's.
Finney-Smith
Leon
Barry
3-Gore
Blackshear
Appleby
Duruji
Castleton
CJ Felder
McKissic
Jones
IF not for the inordinate number of injuries that they've suffered, especially to the bigs.....

5. He's a total bust that should never have been hired by that idiot AD.
~~ The Gators have played the toughest overall and hardest non-conference schedule in the SEC over White’s entire tenure, and the Gators still rate 2nd among SEC teams during that period in average final KenPom rank, NCAA wins and SEC wins and 3rd in overall wins.

6. None of his players ever graduate.
~~ The list that have graduated is long, beginning with K.Allen, so I won't bother.
Those that enter the draft early, or those that xfer out, are not Mike's or UF's fault.

7. His intangibles are non-existent.

Haters gonna hate, and VI's are gonna pontificate from on top of their walls....
And you can't fix stupid....

Last edited:
Right On, Insta!!!

Charleston Classic Tourney!!! That’s a trophy to celebrate!!!! You got a picture of that hardware??!!

A lot of negative talk about guys leaving the team therefore program going to hell in a hand basket. Thought I read the other day that there are approximately 150 transfers in the portal not counting those already left for new team. Does that mean there is trouble across the basketball spectrum and everyone in coaching should be looking for a new team? Just asking for the hell of it........jim

Hey VI dog-poker, I know that you're too stupid to realize that was in response to the claim that Mike NEVER wins anything. However, HoF BillyD didn't manage to win a Holiday Tourney in his last 5 years at UF, so IMO, it was a nice win over #18 Xaiver.

And with your 5 year old's attention span, I can see why that's all you chose to address in my entire post.... twit confirmed yet again

Let's see now on Coach Mike White.

1. He's clueless about basketball, both offense and defense.
~~ All time winning record, CoY in all 3 conferences, never a losing season as HC.
It only took Mike 4 more games (158) than BillyD (154) to reach 100 wins at UF. The thing about that is Mike was playing way tougher SoS''s to get there than BillyD played.

2. He can't coach a lick, so none of his players ever progress.
~~ LaTech PG Career Ast Record
UF PG Career Ast Record. (proves Speedy Smith wasn't an accident)
KJ - SEC Preseason PoY
Castleton 2X SEC PoW
Barry - SEC 6th Man Award
And there are others....
Johnson and Kerry Blackshear Jr. earned All-SEC honors, and Scottie Lewis locked up a spot on the SEC All-Freshman team. In SEC play, the Gators led the SEC in field goal percentage (.470) and 3-point percentage (.376), while Noah Locke led the conference in 3-point percentage (.481).
The Gators accomplished all that while fielding one of the youngest teams in the nation and what would’ve been the youngest team in the entire NCAA Tournament field if not scamdemic cancelled....

3. He can't win a championship at anything.
~~ The Gators earned the Charleston Classic championship, led by MVP Keyontae Johnson, defeating 18th-ranked Xavier in the championship. >>> It marked UF’s first holiday tournament championship since 2009.

4. He can't recruit because no one would ever want to play for him.
~~ Several HS 5 stars, many 4 stars, and he's one of the best at portal xfer in's.
Finney-Smith
Leon
Barry
3-Gore
Blackshear
Appleby
Duruji
Castleton
CJ Felder
McKissic
Jones
IF not for the inordinate number of injuries that they've suffered, especially to the bigs.....

5. He's a total bust that should never have been hired by that idiot AD.
~~ The Gators have played the toughest overall and hardest non-conference schedule in the SEC over White’s entire tenure, and the Gators still rate 2nd among SEC teams during that period in average final KenPom rank, NCAA wins and SEC wins and 3rd in overall wins.

6. None of his players ever graduate.
~~ The list that have graduated is long, beginning with K.Allen, so I won't bother.
Those that enter the draft early, or those that xfer out, are not Mike's or UF's fault.

7. His intangibles are non-existent.

Haters gonna hate, and VI's are gonna pontificate from on top of their walls....
And you can't fix stupid....
Mike White will be in his 7th season and no way will he win a Championship like Billy did. Billy got UF to the Championship in his 4th year. I made my point repeatedly in less than a paragraph while nobody reads your pointless copy and pastings.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Mike White will be in his 7th season and no way will he win a Championship like Billy did. Billy got UF to the Championship in his 4th year. I made my point repeatedly in less than a paragraph while nobody reads your pointless copy and pastings.

If Donovan had the roster we have going into next season I would be thinking Final Four is a real possibility but with White it screams another 2nd round exit to me after getting a seed at least 2 or 3 spots lower than Donovan would have got.

I would expect Castleton back as well. But we do need at least 1 more big, especially if Keyontae Johnson isn't back. We'll have Duruji, Ruzhentsev, Jitobah and the transfer C J Felder. Not enough depth there yet.

I would expect Castleton back as well. But we do need at least 1 more big, especially if Keyontae Johnson isn't back. We'll have Duruji, Ruzhentsev, Jitobah and the transfer C J Felder. Not enough depth there yet.

What is the deal with the 6'11 or so 285 pounder we have. Is he just not athletic enough to get many minutes or something? With how quick Felder is you think that combo at Forward should be able to be used sometimes. Felder and Castleton should definitely make a good duo on the floor.

What is the deal with the 6'11 or so 285 pounder we have. Is he just not athletic enough to get many minutes or something? With how quick Felder is you think that combo at Forward should be able to be used sometimes. Felder and Castleton should definitely make a good duo on the floor.
Jason Jitobah - He's originally from Nigeria and weighed 340 pounds at one point in high school. He only averaged 8.7 points, 6.8 rebounds and shot 47% from the foul line as a high school senior on a really good team that went 34-4. He was recruited by a lot of schools because of his size and attitude, but was only a 3-star recruit. He chose Florida primarily over Tennessee & UCF. When he signed with Florida it was with the idea of him being a "project" and he has gotten his weight down in the 285 range. But he's not real athletic and has fouled a lot when he's been on the floor. You can't teach 6'11", 280, but he needs to develop more skills, get better from the free throw line and learn how to defend without fouling.

Last edited:
Jason Jitobah - He's originally from Nigeria and weighed 340 pounds at one point in high school. He only averaged 8.7 points, 6.8 rebounds and shot 47% from the foul line as a high school senior on a really good team that went 34-4. He was recruited by a lot of schools because of his size and attitude, but was only a 3-star recruit. He chose Florida primarily over Tennessee & UCF. When he signed with Florida is was with the idea of him being a "project" and he has gotten his weight down in the 285 range. But he's not real athletic and has fouled a lot when he's been on the floor. You can't teach 6'11", 280, but he needs to develop more skills, get better from the free throw line and learn how to defend without fouling.
Still needs to shed another 20 pounds.

This is a good pickup, but I agree with Paco too. Also, if we do lose Castleton we are going to go from small, to tiny. Might be a 4 guard lineup. Would be nice to pick up some additional size.

This is a good pickup, but I agree with Paco too. Also, if we do lose Castleton we are going to go from small, to tiny. Might be a 4 guard lineup. Would be nice to pick up some additional size.
If we lose Castleton to the NBA draft we won’t have a scoring threat in the post nor a rim protector. Jitobah needs a lot of work. I don’t see him as anything more than a role player.

If we lose Castleton to the NBA draft we won’t have a scoring threat in the post nor a rim protector. Jitobah needs a lot of work. I don’t see him as anything more than a role player.

I doubt he gets drafted but that would be a huge loss if he did. He needs to come back with another 20 pounds on his frame.

McKissic didn't play point much?
McKissic is listed as a shooting guard, Fleming & Jones are listed as combo guards, meaning they played the point some. We really don't have a true point guard and that hurt us badly this past season. Look at the assist to turnover ratio of Appleby, Mann & Glover and it was terrible. Our assist to turnover ratio was among with worst in D1 and it killed us, especially in close games.

McKissic is listed as a shooting guard, Fleming & Jones are listed as combo guards, meaning they played the point some. We really don't have a true point guard and that hurt us badly this past season. Look at the assist to turnover ratio of Appleby, Mann & Glover and it was terrible. Our assist to turnover ratio was among with worst in D1 and it killed us, especially in close games.

Hopefully two of them (I say that not knowing how good Fleming is) have at least filled in there quite a bit during games. There are some shooting guards that really suck at that like you say.

Hopefully two of them (I say that not knowing how good Fleming is) have at least filled in there quite a bit during games. There are some shooting guards that really suck at that like you say.
Assists to turnovers this past season:
Tre Mann: 83/68 Tyree Appleby: 82/72 Ques Glover: 13/20
Myreon Jones: 51/29 Phlandrous Fleming: 41/49 Brandon McKissic: 59/54

Just for comparison, Andrew Nembhard was 140/39. Jared Butler of Baylor was 144/85 and Davion Mitchell of Baylor was 165/73. Tygor Campbell of UCLA was 172/59. Based solely on these numbers, Jones seems the better ball handler of the guys currently on the team. Fleming played on a horrible team (3-18), but was their best player. We just don't yet have anybody on the roster with a really good assist to turnover ratio like a high quality team needs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT