ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby vs Richt

I think Mullen actually did a good job this year, but he's not closing the gap anytime soon if Kirby keeps recruiting this way. We're going to finish 1 or 2 again this year in recruiting. The talent gap is widening with every team in the SEC except Bama, and we're on their six

That’s the thing... I don’t think you guys can keep recruiting like that forever. I think part of the reason you guys were able to wrap up such a hot streak in recruiting is that we sucked, and Tennessee sucked, and f$u finally have to pay back whatever demon they sold their souls to. You have to admit that when three of your rivals pose little to no threat it is a lot easier to lock up a few guys who might otherwise have gone somewhere else. Maybe instead of five 5*, you get three, or two. That’s still a hell of a class, but not quite the insane class you signed. That’s what I think is going to happen. If two or three schools can turn the heads of just a few guys, then the talent gap shrinks. I’m perfectly fine is f$u stays in the toilet though. That’s where they belong anyway.

That’s the thing... I don’t think you guys can keep recruiting like that forever. I think part of the reason you guys were able to wrap up such a hot streak in recruiting is that we sucked, and Tennessee sucked, and f$u finally have to pay back whatever demon they sold their souls to. You have to admit that when three of your rivals pose little to no threat it is a lot easier to lock up a few guys who might otherwise have gone somewhere else. Maybe instead of five 5*, you get three, or two. That’s still a hell of a class, but not quite the insane class you signed. That’s what I think is going to happen. If two or three schools can turn the heads of just a few guys, then the talent gap shrinks. I’m perfectly fine is f$u stays in the toilet though. That’s where they belong anyway.
Very fair points. Time will tell for sure.
Today was awesome grabbing 5 star OL Webb out of Oxford AL... a first for UGA. Coach Sam Pittman is unbelievable as a coach and a recruiter. Yessssiiiirrrrr! :D
FSU may be down awhile and Tennessee definitely will be.

For our UGly buttsniffer trolls...

SDS Final Season Grades for SEC DC's

UF- Grantham B+ (for 3rd and Grantham) :rolleyes:

UGA-Tucker B :p

We all know Kirby is buying these players. Hell, not even Saban recruits this well and he actually has the titles to back up suspect recruiting. Smart has his bowl cut going for him and.... yeah that’s about it. Now they’re saying Trey Sanders is leaning their way when his name has never been mentioned as a possibility, but yep, legit recruiting. I remember when Ole Miss fans said they weren’t cheating with Freeze, too.

Must be that Kirby Smart charm.

Reactions: instaGATOR
2002 - (2nd year) Richt went 13-1 and lost to a Ron Zook coached Florida team
2017 - (2nd year) Kirby went 13-2, lost a NT in overtime and beat Florida so bad that they fired their head coach the next day after he had won back to back division titles.

yea, Richt and Kirby are the same, LOLz.

We all know Kirby is buying these players. Hell, not even Saban recruits this well and he actually has the titles to back up suspect recruiting. Smart has his bowl cut going for him and.... yeah that’s about it. Now they’re saying Trey Sanders is leaning their way when his name has never been mentioned as a possibility, but yep, legit recruiting. I remember when Ole Miss fans said they weren’t cheating with Freeze, too.

Must be that Kirby Smart charm.
LOL... Sanders was at our spring game. Our OL is a big attraction to rbs. Dawgs will most likely have 2 1000 yard rushers in consecutive years. Bama and Florida may not have one.

2017 - (2nd year) Kirby went 13-2, lost a NT in overtime and beat Florida so bad that they fired their head coach the next day after he had won back to back division titles.

Yeah, that's why we fired MAC.

Kirby: Lost to Butch Jones, Ed Orgeron, and Jim McElwain, all far worse coaches than Zook. Zook also beat Saban and gave LSU their only loss in 2003, in Baton Rouge I might add. Zook was underrated a little if anything. He had some bad luck losses that weren’t his fault (FSU 2003 and Tennessee 2004 to name just two off the top of my head).

He wasn’t a great coach by any means, but UF has some solid offenses during his tenure, he could recruit, and he owned UGA and beat FSU in Doak which Spurrier never did. Richt losing to him was no shame, Smart’s lost to way worse coaches already.

Reactions: instaGATOR
You’re wasting your time, they have selective memory. Smart has already lost to Vandy at home, lost to GT and shitty Paul Johnson at home, and has had at least one loss by 20 or more points every year he’s been there. Oh and he’s yet to beat a ranked West opponent on the road in three years, average margin of defeat in those games have all been 3 scores. Mullen has already beat a ranked West team on the road and it took him all of 5 games to do it, but according to the resident douchebags here he’s average.

Reactions: seffnergator
You’re wasting your time, they have selective memory. Smart has already lost to Vandy at home, lost to GT and shitty Paul Johnson at home, and has had at least one loss by 20 or more points every year he’s been there. Oh and he’s yet to beat a ranked West opponent on the road in three years, average margin of defeat in those games have all been 3 scores. Mullen has already beat a ranked West team on the road and it took him all of 5 games to do it, but according to the resident douchebags here he’s average.
Well if Mullen wins the SEC this year, wins a CFP game, and makes it to the natty he'll match Kirby. Let's see how it plays out.
Smart vs Mullen head to head should also be looked at.

He’s been at UF one year, in Smart’s first year he was losing to Vandy at home. It’s amazing how intellectually dishonest y’all are. Oh, Smart also took over a 10-3 team, Mullen took over a 4-7 team. But sure let’s compare Mullen’s first year to Kirby’s three after taking over a much more stable program. Seems legit.

He’s been at UF one year, in Smart’s first year he was losing to Vandy at home. It’s amazing how intellectually dishonest y’all are. Oh, Smart also took over a 10-3 team, Mullen took over a 4-7 team. But sure let’s compare Mullen’s first year to Kirby’s three after taking over a much more stable program. Seems legit.
BINGO. Kirby Smart went 8-5 his first year at UGA with a much much more talented roster than Mullen inherited. Mullen is sitting at 9-3 at the moment. Not even an apples to apples comparison.

You’re all over the place with this post.

An unranked 10-3 SEC team. How rare is that?

It is amusing that uga fans still think their team, or that game, had any bearing on us getting rid of the coach. He was going no matter what, and if anyone talked to the right person, they'd know he was gone even before that no matter what. But by all means, take credit for it, it will just be your wishful demise on the reciprocal end with my boss.. It's amazing to see just how much odd empty confidence dawg fans somehow ALL have like a little cousin that always gets beat up in the family basketball game at Thanksgiving but keeps on talking afterward and for a year leading up to another defeat.

UGA fans really now know inside even when they are being dumb on purpose about confidence in their team, that Smart has actually already shown everyone his ceiling, and has come away with nothing and 1-4 against the top teams currently from the last two years, and against the West, and that one game they won was against an already sinking ship for Auburn after a brutal schedule after they beat you down physically weeks prior, before the bell cow that Malzahn always runs into the ground from 70 carries a game that's impossible to last after their end of schedule with Bama on tail end, their RB getting hurt did them in with QB messed up too. So badly in fact, UCF fans still talk about how great they are with a streak, their fans sound real familiar in this story now don't they? Kirby did the best he could with the deepest and most veteran team he could have last year, the NC last year was really the one they blew their best chance shooting their shot, much like the 2012 SEC Championship, knowing any team in the middle of the pack in SEC would have wiped out ND in that gimme ring game for Bama with rest in between. Kirby has shown his max best, and come up short in all of them, and it's because of one thing. The same problem and thing they couldn't win before because of Marky Richt.

Talent has never, nor ever will be uga's problem, it's always been, and always will be game day coaching ability, you can always tell the real true top coaches apart, you know how? Simple, how do they fare once they compete against teams with near or equal talent, and LSU and Bama, the only teams in that category, beat them, again. We had the lead after walking down the field with ball in 2nd half after everything went wrong in the first half, and gave you multiple christmas presents early in that game to put us away, yet Franks finally completed one ball to his own teammates after a big KO Return from KT. After everything that had happened, kirby played Muschamp ball to be trailing to Franks. You talk to anyone that has good football eyeballs, and in that game they all said the same thing to me post game, if you guys had even a serviceable throwing QB that wasn't a mental inept midget like the rest of your QB's in the past 8 plus years, it's easy to tell Mullen is ahead of UGA like Spurrier with his coaching style and offense.. and it's true, now it's time to catch up with everyone with on the field talent.

And like Dan said, it starts with owning your territory, own the state, and clean up and steal their strengths in talent, which is exactly what we've already done to FSU, and now directly to Miami without even playing them yet even worse. Taking all their talent, and more to come with the likes that haven't been seen since the same guy was here last, ten years ago. The Bowl committee really messed up to give us the dominant edge going into a full off season for all to know with us smashing it down UCF's throat and proving and showing everyone how much of a pretender they are, which is exactly what would have happened no matter how much iv'e seen our Gator fans pretend that game was scary, it would have been like Hawaii in 2007, instead everyone gets to see LSU do it and get a boost as if they did something perceived as hard when it's a joke how easy that win will be, just because it's billed as a big game and them being outmatched with prep time to get up for them, and will finally have a top team much better than them, fully eyes open and got their full attention. Though LSU won't win by as much as they should because of their coaching is actually far worse than UCF's in a one game scenario. If we got that game and shattered all of UCF's dreams, the state buzz would have really taken off. But same can happen if we beat a true top level talented team in Atlanta in a few weeks.

Now time to close out big and get some needed positions in recruiting for first time in years that's so desperately needed, to reload and rebuild a Florida monster that once was, with the coach to finally do it properly again, stocking up and competing for Rings every year starting next year and from this bowl game on, with GREAT coaching. Time to get out and help seal the deal on some big names for us, you boys enjoy. Merry Christmas to you boys, and as always. Go Gators!

you too Sad, tell the Mrs. Happy Holidays from all us Florida boys here

Let me know if any of you are making the trip to Atlanta about some tickets and maybe ill get to meet up with some of you and your family after the game finally.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Oh, I have no doubt you’ll continue to do very well in recruiting. You guys have a lot of momentum and had a very good year. Uga has always been able to recruit pretty well. I do think that you guys, along with f$u and a few other schools, really benefited from the mushchamp/mcelwain fiasco and I think that was one reason your classes have been off the charts. Not the only reason of course. Kirby is a hell of a recruiter, and I’m sure you guys will continue to get yours. I do think there were probably a few guys in the past few classes for you that might have been a battle if we didn’t suck so bad. I think what you’re going to see is us start to pull even talent-wise, and this will be a rivalry again.
So why is Mullen’s second recruiting class so subpar..? He’s losing ground, not making it up...

If Georgia Tech could start recruiting it would naturally weaken UGA. Not by a wide margin but there is plenty of talent in Georgia and UGA has no real in state threat. It is comical hearing UGA fans talk about recruiting is finally picking up as if Richt wasn’t regularly pulling in top 10 classes and sending talent to the NFL. He used to kick his #1 RB off the team and replace him like changing a spark plug in an engine. Eason was the #1 qb Matthew Stafford came out of Texas. Kirby’s defense last year was built around Richt recruits and Ledbetter was a Richt guy. Richt started out great and would have had his early teams in four team playoffs just like Kirby is doing.

Imagine UF or FSU without any in state rivals to compete with for recruits. It’s the luxury UGA has had under Richt and Kirby.
There’s an unbelievable gap between #1/2 and top 10 classes. Richt did much more of the latter. Kirby has brought in more 5* in one year than some do in their entire tenure. Richt recruited well, no doubt, but the classes were packed with 3* and 4*. Completely different ball game

Ooooh, a whole big THREE. Well I guess I stand corrected.

You young ones forget that we still own the all time series by 9 games and you might as well get used to it. You are all living in the land of moral victories. We are going to stomp the lizards into oblivion. You have a 30 year football history. Yes you were good in that 30 years, but never before, and it will be a WHILE before you are again.

One thing is for certain: Mullen would have never called that hideously bad fake punt. He learned from the best in Urban Meyer who was and is a special teams genius. That Kirby fake punt was almost as bad as that Colts one against the Pats years ago.
Mullen will NEVER be in this situation because he'll never make it to the SECCG.. Good luck against Michigan... scrubs

Reactions: Hjudeh09
You have no actual memory of your team winning a national championship unless you’re in your 50’s. You guys have the biggest little brother syndrome to Florida I have ever seen. You are projecting yourselves the next Bama but have nothing but recruiting ranks to hope on. So far your current coach has been out coached by Gus Malzahn and Ed Orgeron the last two seasons. My team sucks right now but at least we have some history to be proud of.

Your current coach has been out coached by errry body including uncle eddie...LOL you semi holes are retarded.

Dawgs, stop trying to talk sense to the lizards. They invented football when spurrier came home don't you know. They had won ZERO sec championships. Yes, they had a good run. But it's over for awhile. Maybe they can get urban liar to come out of retirement in a year or 2 and recruit some more murderer's, thieves, and woman beaters... then maybe they will be worth a crap again.

Reactions: DevilDawgz8466
How is it not a close comparison? If anything Richt’s first three years was more impressive because he inherited a far worse program. Kirby inherited a team that won 10 games the year before and was made up of three straight top 10 classes. UGA’s roster was/is stacked and just needed some retooling, this wasn’t some rebuild. Even Smart has said that. They had enough talent to hang with anybody the culture around the program just needed to change.

And please stop with this they’re young BS. They returned something like 14 starters from last year. Technically they’re young if you look at class distinction but the team is very experienced. For example Fromm is only a true sophomore so by definition he’s very young, but he’s already started 30 games which is 3 seasons worth of starts. So he isn’t ‘young.’
Let say this Richt inherited a team with 16 NFL players Ga talent level was outstanding Donnan just made a bad chioce at q/b. Richt roster was depleted of talent except at few skilled position. There is no comparison between Richt and Kirby. Richt no emotion and not very smart any lazy. Kirby is a complete opposite

30 year history and yet more national and SEC Championships than your never was program. You have 4 years of Herschel and then a title in the 1940’s. Congrats on that illustrious history. Wonder why you were too pussy to post here prior to the last two years like the rest of the other clowns?

Reactions: PacoGator19
Pretty good, if you're willing to take the outsider ranking service's word on it. :confused:

But tell me, how are you going to get Saban to come over and coach them up for you??? :oops:
Do we need him to do that? 36-17, 42-7. Maybe Kirby will get a few pointers when it starts getting close. ;-)

Imagine being so much of a pussy you have multiple handles to visit a board you refused to visit for years prior. So typical of the Georgia necks. Easily the most insecure fan base on the web. Neither one of you have seen a title, and likely won’t any time soon either. Sad! Too bad you don’t get trophies for playing Bama close.

Reactions: PacoGator19
How is it not a close comparison? If anything Richt’s first three years was more impressive because he inherited a far worse program. Kirby inherited a team that won 10 games the year before and was made up of three straight top 10 classes. UGA’s roster was/is stacked and just needed some retooling, this wasn’t some rebuild. Even Smart has said that. They had enough talent to hang with anybody the culture around the program just needed to change.

And please stop with this they’re young BS. They returned something like 14 starters from last year. Technically they’re young if you look at class distinction but the team is very experienced. For example Fromm is only a true sophomore so by definition he’s very young, but he’s already started 30 games which is 3 seasons worth of starts. So he isn’t ‘young.’
That is wherre you are wrong. Richt inherited much talent that Donnan had recruited and Smart got some good players but very little depth from Richt.

Maybe it'll be top 2, you don't know that.

And yes, I'm aware of when Kirby became coach.

But I guess for the record, I'll list where the class ranked in the SEC as well.

2002: 2nd
2003: 3rd
2004: 2nd
2005: 2nd
2006: 2nd
2007: 6th
2008: 3rd
2009: 3rd
2010: 6th
2011: 2nd
2012: 4th
2013: 7th
2014: 5th
2015: 3rd
2016: 5th
2017: 2nd
2018: 1st
2019: 4th

You're making a lot of statements about the two coaches, but not much intellectual honesty behind them.

You want to believe that Richt wasn't nearly as good of a recruiter as Kirby, even though that's not nearly the case.

Ricky's recruiting hit a snag about a decade into his career, also about the same time the league expanded.

Oh, and it should be noted that in those conference rankings, the teams ahead of you were mostly western division teams.

So Richt's recruiting classes finished around 8th nationally an 3.5 in the SEC over his tenure. That sounds like a 10-2/9-3 type record to me which is exactly what Richt was. That's really good but it's not elite. If ANY school can consistently finish with top 3 recruiting classes they will be in the playoff picture every year.

Reactions: MakeUGAGreatAgain
Maybe it'll be top 2, you don't know that.

And yes, I'm aware of when Kirby became coach.

But I guess for the record, I'll list where the class ranked in the SEC as well.

2002: 2nd
2003: 3rd
2004: 2nd
2005: 2nd
2006: 2nd
2007: 6th
2008: 3rd
2009: 3rd
2010: 6th
2011: 2nd
2012: 4th
2013: 7th
2014: 5th
2015: 3rd
2016: 5th
2017: 2nd
2018: 1st
2019: 4th

You're making a lot of statements about the two coaches, but not much intellectual honesty behind them.

You want to believe that Richt wasn't nearly as good of a recruiter as Kirby, even though that's not nearly the case.

Ricky's recruiting hit a snag about a decade into his career, also about the same time the league expanded.

Oh, and it should be noted that in those conference rankings, the teams ahead of you were mostly western division teams.

Richt never recruited well in the trenches. Especially offensive line. He recruited excellent skill players and that’s about all. Kirby understands the importance and has loaded up 5 star OL. Huge difference. Rankings don’t always meet need.

Reactions: DevilDawgz8466
Richt:

Year 1 - 8-4
Year 2 - 13-1, wins the SEC
Year 3 - 11-3, SEC runnerup

Kirby:

Year 1 - 8-5
Year 2 - 13-2, wins the SEC
Year 3 - 11-2, SEC runnerup

Totals:

Richt 32-8, 1 SEC title, 2 SECCG appearances
Kirby 32-9, 1 SEC title, 2 SECCG appearances

Bonus:

Record against Alabama:

Richt 2-0
Kirby 0-2
So this is the best you got? Your lack of insight and ability to do the work necessary to show that this is different is comical. Kirby year 2 is plenty different than Richt (a coach I respect greatly btw).

2nd year under Richt there was no college playoff and Bama was not the force that they are now. In Kirby's 2nd year we won our conference and won the first round of the college football playoff and came very close to winning a national title. Richt never got us to the game during his tenure so that in itself is quite a difference.

3rd year may be the most similar however, what you fail to mention is the difference in recruiting under Kirby and Richt. UGA weakness under Richt was inability to win big games and win the lines of scrimmages. We are now doing that while recruiting at the highest level.

Obviously it appears there is a ton of butthurt on this board because you guys know what's coming. You had your time to shine and now it's our turn.

Like Saban, Kirby will be an elite HC for as long as he recruits at an elite level. Considering how big a part of Alabama's recruiting success he was in the past and the natural advantages UGA has to recruit (probably the second best state for top-end talent after Florida, with no in-state rival to compete for that talent), UGA will finish top 3 in the recruiting rankings for the foreseeable future.

Why does Bama win every year? They have the best talent. Next year's UGA team will be the first team since Saban got things rolling that has more four and five stars than Alabama.

All of this is to say, Kirby is not Richt. You can either believe it now or lie to yourself, it won't change the results on the field.

Reactions: MakeUGAGreatAgain

Wrong! Donnan had UGA stacked with talent when CMR took over. Donnan landed a number 1 recruiting and multiple top 10 classes.

The last 2 years will be Kirby’s least talented teams for the foreseeable future. The reality is UGA is about to have more talent in their program than they have ever had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT