ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby vs Richt

Exactly. Thank you. Georgia Tech provides no additional threat to kids that want to stay in state and play. All those teams you mentioned send their best recruiters to Florida. Miami, FSU, UF have to compete with each other and the rest of the country’s best. Richt never had a recruiting problem like your fanbase constantly eludes to. If Georgia Tech ever takes football seriously you will have problems.

and we're about to see what they do with this next hire.

Exactly. Thank you. Georgia Tech provides no additional threat to kids that want to stay in state and play. All those teams you mentioned send their best recruiters to Florida. Miami, FSU, UF have to compete with each other and the rest of the country’s best. Richt never had a recruiting problem like your fanbase constantly eludes to. If Georgia Tech ever takes football seriously you will have problems.
Ok, I get your point, but what I’m saying is there are plenty of high powered options very close to all Georgia’s borders. Many of the kids in the Atlanta area are children of transplants that were not born and raised and many have no ties to Georgia whatsoever. Tech has basically accepted their place and know they will lose 4-5 games a year. Bu the lack of another P5 program doesn’t mean anything in Georgia like it does in Louisiana or Tennessee.

Reactions: DevilDawgz8466
Because plenty of coaches would sniff a championship at Mississippi State. How dumb are you people? Seriously. UF wins their bowl game Mullen will have had the most successful first season in modern UF history.

Reactions: ih8f$u
Because plenty of coaches would sniff a championship at Mississippi State. How dumb are you people? Seriously. UF wins their bowl game Mullen will have had the most successful first season in modern UF history.

Mmm....debatable.

What championship did MSU sniff?

Georgia has threats all over the country for recruits. Tech matters not and never will. Clemson, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, hell the whole SEC plus Meatchokin, Ohio St, Penn St, and plenty of others.

Collins isn't going to run the option any more. Atlanta is now contested.

An elite coach wouldn’t be stuck at MSU for 9 years, if he was elite somebody would have snagged him a long time ago. He was the safe hire at the time and UF had to save face so it was a perfect match.

An elite coach wouldn’t be stuck at MSU for 9 years, if he was elite somebody would have snagged him a long time ago. He was the safe hire at the time and UF had to save face so it was a perfect match.

Like how elite Saban was stuck at Michigan State for forever? Or how supposedly elite Kirby was stuck as an assistant for 8 years when Bama assistants get hired away by everybody after 1-2 years? You’re a dumbass.

Man, you guys have to put up with this year round? Ugh.

This is part of why older Gators will always say that UGa is our #1 rival (1942 is a big part as well). Our dominance the last 30 years muted the barking, letting our younger contingent perceive FSU as our #1 rival.

But I'm not worried. Beating the mutts is part of the natural order. It will be re-asserted soon enough, then they will crawl back into their kennels.

Last edited:
Mullen beat Smart?? On the field or in recruiting, it would be a first. Mullen has been a head coach 10 years and never sniffed a championship. Mullen is basically Richt Lite minus the 2 sec championships.

It's cute that you think that.

I can see why the cheer has always been: LET THE BIG DAWG READ! Intelligence is in short supply in Dawgville.

We don’t need them to drop to compete with them. People are acting like UGA just started having stacked rosters. At one point towards the end of Richt’s tenure they had more players in the NFL than anybody, ahead of teams like Bama, LSU, and UF. They’ve ALWAYS had talent so for all Kirby’s great recruiting I doubt he does a whole lot better than having the most players in the NFL.

The problem isn’t them having a lot of talents, it’s us not having the amount of talent than we should have. Recruit like we’re supposed to and we’ll be fine. Some of y’all are scared of your own shadows probably.

And btw for the insecure UGA trolls, the thread was started by a Bama fan. Dumbasses.
Read my post above. Richt never had this amount talent or recruited to this level. Kirby’s first full class is better than any class Richt ever had.

The talent gap is large at this point. Mullen will need to recruit better to compete year in and year out.

Kirby has also developed players, see Roquan and Baker. Both with far more time under Kirby than Richt.

If you want to put all your eggs in the basket of “Kirby can’t coach due to losing to Bama and make a questionable call” that’s fine but is pretty weak reasoning overall.

If Georgia Tech could start recruiting it would naturally weaken UGA. Not by a wide margin but there is plenty of talent in Georgia and UGA has no real in state threat. It is comical hearing UGA fans talk about recruiting is finally picking up as if Richt wasn’t regularly pulling in top 10 classes and sending talent to the NFL. He used to kick his #1 RB off the team and replace him like changing a spark plug in an engine. Eason was the #1 qb Matthew Stafford came out of Texas. Kirby’s defense last year was built around Richt recruits and Ledbetter was a Richt guy. Richt started out great and would have had his early teams in four team playoffs just like Kirby is doing.

Imagine UF or FSU without any in state rivals to compete with for recruits. It’s the luxury UGA has had under Richt and Kirby.
This is laughablely incorrect. GT never competes with UGA for recruits and likely never will.

That said, everyone recruits GA and many schools are mich close than UGA (FSU in South Georgia for example or Auburn with Columbus kids). GA is also a transient state so not everyone is a UGA fan by birth or even close. You have little understanding of recruiting in the state.

See my other posts about Richt. His best class ever is worse than Kirby’s worst class (full class). There is a huge difference between a 10th ranked class and a 1,2 or 3 class. I believe I did the math last year and the difference between UGA and #10 was like 30%, that’s huge.

You are correct that most of the Defense last year was Richt recruits. That’s why every rival said there would be a huge drop off this year....it just didn’t happen sadly for them. This years team is the youngest in the SEC, that should worry our rivals....

This is laughablely incorrect. GT never competes with UGA for recruits and likely never will.

That said, everyone recruits GA and many schools are mich close than UGA (FSU in South Georgia for example or Auburn with Columbus kids). GA is also a transient state so not everyone is a UGA fan by birth or even close. You have little understanding of recruiting in the state.

See my other posts about Richt. His best class ever is worse than Kirby’s worst class (full class). There is a huge difference between a 10th ranked class and a 1,2 or 3 class. I believe I did the math last year and the difference between UGA and #10 was like 30%, that’s huge.

You are correct that most of the Defense last year was Richt recruits. That’s why every rival said there would be a huge drop off this year....it just didn’t happen sadly for them. This years team is the youngest in the SEC, that should worry our rivals....

Ga Tech hasn't competed with UGa for recruits because of the difference in styles. New coach, similar styles, believe me Ga Tech will compete.

Like how elite Saban was stuck at Michigan State for forever? Or how supposedly elite Kirby was stuck as an assistant for 8 years when Bama assistants get hired away by everybody after 1-2 years? You’re a dumbass.
Saban was at MSU for 5 years....

Read my post above. Richt never had this amount talent or recruited to this level. Kirby’s first full class is better than any class Richt ever had.

The talent gap is large at this point. Mullen will need to recruit better to compete year in and year out.

Kirby has also developed players, see Roquan and Baker. Both with far more time under Kirby than Richt.

If you want to put all your eggs in the basket of “Kirby can’t coach due to losing to Bama and make a questionable call” that’s fine but is pretty weak reasoning overall.

And I literally just told you at one point in Richt's tenure UGA had more players in the NFL than anybody, so to say Richt never recruited as well as Kirby has based on nothing but recruiting rankings is stupid as hell. Clearly the NFL thought well of his recruiting. It's amazing how dumb the large majority of you are.

Saban was at MSU for 5 years....

And? He's going to go down as the best coach ever. Based on your dumbass logic he shouldn't have even been there that long. And his records there were garbage, precisely because they're a second tier program, just like MSU. But again based on your dumbass logic because he never sniffed a championship there he isn't elite. I know one thing for sure...you're an elite mouthbreather.

Ga Tech hasn't competed with UGa for recruits because of the difference in styles. New coach, similar styles, believe me Ga Tech will compete.
They barely did with Chan Gailey. During Chan’s tenure they beat UGA for maybe 3-4 recruits the entire time.

Perhaps they’ll be better a get a kid or two but I wouldn’t count on it. Kirby and staff are far far better recruiters than Richt ever was. If that’s the hope for the Gators, it isn’t a strong one.

Reactions: DevilDawgz8466
And I literally just told you at one point in Richt's tenure UGA had more players in the NFL than anybody, so to say Richt never recruited as well as Kirby has based on nothing but recruiting rankings is stupid as hell. Clearly the NFL thought well of his recruiting. It's amazing how dumb the large majority of you are.
That isn’t true. UGA was higher at one point (top 5 I believe) and kept falling over the years with Richt.

Also a lot of those NFL players were Donnan recruits....

Amazing how you continue to call people dumb yet are misinformed about what you speak.

And? He's going to go down as the best coach ever. Based on your dumbass logic he shouldn't have even been there that long. And his records there were garbage, precisely because they're a second tier program, just like MSU. But again based on your dumbass logic because he never sniffed a championship there he isn't elite. I know one thing for sure...you're an elite mouthbreather.
I never said any of those things. You need to improve your reading comprehension.

8 years is a lot longer than 5. That was my only point.

This "Richt wasn't nearly the recruiter that Kirby is!" rhetoric is kind of bizarre.

Final rankings for Georgia's classes per this site.

2002: #3
2003: #6
2004: #6
2005: #10
2006: #4
2007: #9
2008: #7
2009: #6
2010: #15
2011: #5
2012: #12
2013: #12
2014: #7
2015: #6
2016: #9
2017: #3
2018: #1
2019: #6

That's about as consistent as you can get over such a long stretch of time.

This "Richt wasn't nearly the recruiter that Kirby is!" rhetoric is kind of bizarre.

Final rankings for Georgia's classes per this site.

2002: #3
2003: #6
2004: #6
2005: #10
2006: #4
2007: #9
2008: #7
2009: #6
2010: #15
2011: #5
2012: #12
2013: #12
2014: #7
2015: #6
2016: #9
2017: #3
2018: #1
2019: #6

That's about as consistent as you can get over such a long stretch of time.

2016 through 2019 is Kirby.....

Also having classes in the 6-15 range is going to be 4th through 6th in the SEC, that’s far from elite.

Point totals are a much better way to compare BTW. Kirby’s first full class (2017) was better than any of Richts classes and by a decent margin.

For the record 2019 will be top 3 (probably 2) so Kirby’s consistency will be far better (3,1,2)

Last edited:

You are making my point in your first paragraph. You dog fans really suck at making points and comprehending them. You have the state locked up. Kids for the most part want to rep their states. It’s how depth is built. Georgia Tech provides no real threat to you because they haven’t taken football seriously in thirty years. Georgia Tech running a service academy and FCS offense only helped UGA in recruiting over the years. You guys come up with more excuses and run Richt down all you want but right now his results mirror Kirby’s. What you keep hoping is for Kirby to turn the corner and/or Saban to retire/die. But awful game decisions he seems to enjoy making in big games won’t get you there. See two ridiculous special teams fakes against LSU and Bama. As well as inserting a true freshman QB at random moments to run the ball for no gains in a championship.

Now suddenly the state of Georgia is a transient state, what do you think the state of Florida has been since air conditioning was invented? And your drop off in defensive talent was pretty evident against LSU and the fourth quarter against Bama’s backup QB. Keep thumping your chests but without a national title in almost 40 years you are a glorified UCF with 4 blown opportunities between your last two coaches (2002, 2012, 2017, 2018).

2016 through 2019 is Kirby.....

Also having classes in the 6-15 range isn’t going to be 4th through 6th in the SEC, that’s far from elite.

Point totals are a much better way to compare BTW. Kirby’s first full class (2017) was better than any of Richts classes and by a decent margin.

For the record 2019 will be top 3 (probably 2) so Kirby’s consistency will be far better (3,1,2)

Maybe it'll be top 2, you don't know that.

And yes, I'm aware of when Kirby became coach.

But I guess for the record, I'll list where the class ranked in the SEC as well.

2002: 2nd
2003: 3rd
2004: 2nd
2005: 2nd
2006: 2nd
2007: 6th
2008: 3rd
2009: 3rd
2010: 6th
2011: 2nd
2012: 4th
2013: 7th
2014: 5th
2015: 3rd
2016: 5th
2017: 2nd
2018: 1st
2019: 4th

You're making a lot of statements about the two coaches, but not much intellectual honesty behind them.

You want to believe that Richt wasn't nearly as good of a recruiter as Kirby, even though that's not nearly the case.

Ricky's recruiting hit a snag about a decade into his career, also about the same time the league expanded.

Oh, and it should be noted that in those conference rankings, the teams ahead of you were mostly western division teams.

Reactions: fsumc
They barely did with Chan Gailey. During Chan’s tenure they beat UGA for maybe 3-4 recruits the entire time.

Perhaps they’ll be better a get a kid or two but I wouldn’t count on it. Kirby and staff are far far better recruiters than Richt ever was. If that’s the hope for the Gators, it isn’t a strong one.
That isn’t true. UGA was higher at one point (top 5 I believe) and kept falling over the years with Richt.

Also a lot of those NFL players were Donnan recruits....

Amazing how you continue to call people dumb yet are misinformed about what you speak.

UGA had the 4th most players in the NFL to start the 2016 season. They were consistently top 5 and even led some years. Considering Richt started coaching UGA in 2001, I'm pretty sure most of those players weren't Donnan recruits, so you just made that shit up. And considering Smart got hired in December of 2015, none of those players were his recruits either. So yes, you are extremely dumb.

Reactions: Pastordawg1980
I never said any of those things. You need to improve your reading comprehension.

8 years is a lot longer than 5. That was my only point.

Or maybe you're an idiot who can't follow logical conclusions? You posted exactly:

"An elite coach wouldn’t be stuck at MSU for 9 years, if he was elite somebody would have snagged him a long time ago. He was the safe hire at the time and UF had to save face so it was a perfect match."

Well Saban is an elite coach and was stuck at a dumpster fire program for 5 years. And he also lost tons of games at Michigan St. because they're a second tier program. It was an example to show really good coaches are at lower tier jobs at certain points in their careers, not everyone goes from an assistant to an elite job. You also stupidly argued that Mullen never sniffed a championship at Mississippi St. My point is quite clearly even really good coaches don't sniff championships at second tier programs, only a few programs in the history of college football have won a championship. Not hard to follow for someone who isn't a mouthbreather. BTW, Mullen was approached numerous times during his stint at Mississippi St. for other jobs. But you'd know that if you weren't so damn dumb.

You are making my point in your first paragraph. You dog fans really suck at making points and comprehending them. You have the state locked up. Kids for the most part want to rep their states. It’s how depth is built. Georgia Tech provides no real threat to you because they haven’t taken football seriously in thirty years. Georgia Tech running a service academy and FCS offense only helped UGA in recruiting over the years. You guys come up with more excuses and run Richt down all you want but right now his results mirror Kirby’s. What you keep hoping is for Kirby to turn the corner and/or Saban to retire/die. But awful game decisions he seems to enjoy making in big games won’t get you there. See two ridiculous special teams fakes against LSU and Bama. As well as inserting a true freshman QB at random moments to run the ball for no gains in a championship.

Now suddenly the state of Georgia is a transient state, what do you think the state of Florida has been since air conditioning was invented? And your drop off in defensive talent was pretty evident against LSU and the fourth quarter against Bama’s backup QB. Keep thumping your chests but without a national title in almost 40 years you are a glorified UCF with 4 blown opportunities between your last two coaches (2002, 2012, 2017, 2018).
Your points are terrible.

See my other post about GT, they didn’t compete before Paul Johnson and it’s unlikely they do afterwards. Maybe a kid or two each year but that would be best case scenario for you. GT is going to have some bad years transitioning away from the triple option as well. They aren’t going to be taking kids from UGA any time soon.

Florida is also a transient state, tons of kids go out of state each year (just like GA). Sure it’s a benefit to be instate but not as big of one as you imply.

So Kirby is bad for losing to Saban and taking some risks that were questionable? That’s a high bar then for good vs bad. Is FSU or UF or anyone doing well against Bama recently? I must have missed that.

I don’t see pumping our chest, just responding to obvious fallacies in your posts.

FYI, this year (2018) is the least talented team Kirby will have for awhile. There is a lot to be positive about as a UGA fan.

Or maybe you're an idiot who can't follow logical conclusions? You posted exactly:

"An elite coach wouldn’t be stuck at MSU for 9 years, if he was elite somebody would have snagged him a long time ago. He was the safe hire at the time and UF had to save face so it was a perfect match."

Well Saban is an elite coach and was stuck at a dumpster fire program for 5 years. And he also lost tons of games at Michigan St. because they're a second tier program. It was an example to show really good coaches are at lower tier jobs at certain points in their careers, not everyone goes from an assistant to an elite job. You also stupidly argued that Mullen never sniffed a championship at Mississippi St. My point is quite clearly even really good coaches don't sniff championships at second tier programs, only a few programs in the history of college football have won a championship. Not hard to follow for someone who isn't a mouthbreather. BTW, Mullen was approached numerous times during his stint at Mississippi St. for other jobs. But you'd know that if you weren't so damn dumb.
I didn’t post that. Perhaps look at the avatar beside it?

My point was 5 years is much less than 8 and Saban being at MSU for 5 doesn’t not in any way imply Mullen will be elite.

I think Mullen’s a good coach. He is just very awkward and thus not a great recruiter. He will need to improve greatly for UF to compete year in and year out with UGA in the east. Can he? Perhaps but that remains to be seen.

UGA had the 4th most players in the NFL to start the 2016 season. They were consistently top 5 and even led some years. Considering Richt started coaching UGA in 2001, I'm pretty sure most of those players weren't Donnan recruits, so you just made that shit up. And considering Smart got hired in December of 2015, none of those players were his recruits either. So yes, you are extremely dumb.
Where is your source for that?

You said the most (or someone did). I said that wasn’t true (it wasn’t).

UGA was higher in the rankings in the 2000’s. Most of those were due to Donnan.

Again LoL at you calling people dumb when you can’t address points at all.

Holy shit, dog fans... your state is rich in talent. You have no in state threat to compete against. Why you continue to argue with me while agreeing with me makes no sense. Georgia Tech has not taken football seriously since 1990, that’s ten years after you won yours by the way. You are very fortunate to have a set up like that. It’s basically the Tennessee Vandy situation if Tennessee actually produced football talent. What you hope continues to happen is Tech continues not taking the sport seriously. Looks like you lucked out again with the Collins hire. You should continue to recruit well and have top ten classes just like Richt did by owning your own state. It’s hard enough recruiting with outside blue bloods nosing around and then the added pressure of having an in state peer to recruit against.

Your in state talent is inundated with UGA news around the year. Florida talent is inundated with year round news about FSU, UF, and Miami. The exposure is divvied up. In Georgia it’s UGA year round.

I’m now going to see where the state of Georgia is ranked in public education. You are painful people to discuss things with.

Where is your source for that?

You said the most (or someone did). I said that wasn’t true (it wasn’t).

UGA was higher in the rankings in the 2000’s. Most of those were due to Donnan.

Again LoL at you calling people dumb when you can’t address points at all.

There are plenty of sources out there. I found this one referencing pro football focus with a simple google search. That was as of 2016.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...es-that-have-produced-most-active-nfl-players

And I said they had the most at one point during Richt's tenure, not that they had the most every year. I noted 2016 in my last post for one obvious reason...Richt's last year was in 2015, so players on a roster in 2016 would have been entirely his recruits. Not that hard to follow.

All that is irrelevant anyway. In case you missed my original post on this, the point is that regardless of recruiting rankings, it's hard to do much better than being top 5 in players on NFL rosters, that's elite by any measure. So even if Kirby is so much better recruiting than Richt (and that's overstated) how much better is he going to do than being top 5 in players on NFL rosters? The likelihood is...not that much better. So essentially y'all are going apeshit over recruiting rankings that you've had for a decade plus. I would tell y'all to act like you've been there before but, well...

There are plenty of sources out there. I found this one referencing pro football focus with a simple google search. That was as of 2016.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...es-that-have-produced-most-active-nfl-players

And I said they had the most at one point during Richt's tenure, not that they had the most every year. I noted 2016 in my last post for one obvious reason...Richt's last year was in 2015, so players on a roster in 2016 would have been entirely his recruits. Not that hard to follow.

All that is irrelevant anyway. In case you missed my original post on this, the point is that regardless of recruiting rankings, it's hard to do much better than being top 5 in players on NFL rosters, that's elite by any measure. So even if Kirby is so much better recruiting than Richt (and that's overstated) how much better is he going to do than being top 5 in players on NFL rosters? The likelihood is...not that much better. So essentially y'all are going apeshit over recruiting rankings that you've had for a decade plus. I would tell y'all to act like you've been there before but, well...
UGA hasn’t had these recruiting rankings ever, don’t know how else to explain that.

Richt recruited well but far from elite. He also basically ignored the Oline and occasionally the D line. UGA had great skill players but wasn’t many years with sub par Olines. That has changed in dramatic fashion.

NFL players is a good indicator but not fool proof. Richt consistency had players that underperformed and then were much better in the NFL. I can give examples if you need. You also said the most at one point, that’s never been true which is what I said.

You guys seem down on recruiting rankings as irrelevant. Funny how Bama is absolutely dominant and also dominant in recruiting? Is that mere coincidence?

There have only been 1-3 national champs that didn’t have a number 1 class a few years prior. 1 was Auburn but they had a transformational player (Cam) and I think the other was Clemson but they also had Watson who was extremely good.

The correlation between recruiting and on field success is extremely strong and undeniable. Sure, there are exceptions but if that’s what UF is counting on, good luck.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Holy shit, dog fans... your state is rich in talent. You have no in state threat to compete against. Why you continue to argue with me while agreeing with me makes no sense. Georgia Tech has not taken football seriously since 1990, that’s ten years after you won yours by the way. You are very fortunate to have a set up like that. It’s basically the Tennessee Vandy situation if Tennessee actually produced football talent. What you hope continues to happen is Tech continues not taking the sport seriously. Looks like you lucked out again with the Collins hire. You should continue to recruit well and have top ten classes just like Richt did by owning your own state. It’s hard enough recruiting with outside blue bloods nosing around and then the added pressure of having an in state peer to recruit against.

Your in state talent is inundated with UGA news around the year. Florida talent is inundated with year round news about FSU, UF, and Miami. The exposure is divvied up. In Georgia it’s UGA year round.

I’m now going to see where the state of Georgia is ranked in public education. You are painful people to discuss things with.
GT will not significantly impact UGA recruiting, sorry to tell you.

GA has been a transient state about as long as Florida has. ATL population has exploded the past 30 years. Those kids (and parents) didn’t grow up UGA fans. Does it help to be instate? Absolutely but you are overrating it. Plenty kids are closer to other major schools. Atlanta is also a major base for lots of schools. It’s the top alumni base for Auburn and top 3 for Bama, Clemson, South Carolina, UF and many others.

You are also overstating UGAs reliance on GA talent. UGA is getting good players from all over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT