ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby vs Richt

That 42-7 win was over a 4-7 team. Didn't UF beat UGA in 2008 by a score of 49-10 when UGA was actually ranked somewhere in the top 10, and had a preseason number 1 ranking till they got spanked by Bama? I believe that's the last time UGA played Bama in the regular season.
Listen here, hoss. I'll have you know we played Bama in the regular season in 2015. Yeah, they beat us like a red-headed stepchild, but how's it feel to be wrong, bub?
Obviously tongue in cheek. I love the trash talk between rival fan bases. Hope y'all beat up on Michigan! GO DAWGS!

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
You're going to be very disappointed.
Sit back and watch how we close on recruiting this year. We'll be neck and neck with Bama for number one class. 2020 class may even be better.

Meh... Until u get a Qb that doesnt shit his pants in big games.....you will win nothing. Wait for the sanctions

Last edited:
I'm sorry.

I didn't realize I had to spell that out.

All of these stats (that never got responded to) had to do with an idea that somehow Richt didn't re riot anywhere near as well as Smart, and also that Richt benefited from Donnan's great recruiting.

I really don't care all that much. And I certainly wasn't trying to mislead anyone into thinking that the two coaches had anywhere near the same tenure.

But one of your own seems intent upon claiming Richts 12 of 15 seasons with top 10 classes and mostly finishing in the top 2-3 of all SEC teams is nowhere near what Kirby is doing.

It just reeks of revisionist history and lots of hope that Kirby is somehow miles better st recruiting that's Richt...ironically don't see many arguments that he's also a great gameday coach....which is interesting.

It seems to be all about his recruiting. But....Richts recruiting was Top 10 basically every year.

Why the angst about it?

What’s ironic is that based on their arguments they’re making the OP’s point. They’ve littered this thread with posts about how Kirby is a far superior recruiter and coach than Richt, yet their results theough their first 3 years are basically identical. So how could that possibly be if what they say is true? Especially since Kirby inherited the better program. Either Richt was a much better coach and recruiter than they give him credit for, which ruins the nice little narrative they have, or Kirby is underachieving. How else would he have the same results as a coach he’s so much better than and with better talent to boot? Those are the only two logical conclusions. But nobody has ever accused them of being intelligent.
I think a big part you folks are missing is how youthful this years team was. UGA isn’t losing a whole lot, and other than Baker (who has 2 5 stars waiting on the wings), everyone leaving has very valid options.

Kirby inherited a roster that was experienced, but lackluster in non skill positions. He definitively coached Roquan up as well as baker. The 2015 Richt team had 10 wins, but it was a mirage. Any team with a pulse blew that team to bits.

CMR came in hot, and was a good one. But the first 3-4 years of success were due to donnans elite recruiting. Donnan’s recruits accounted for nearly 50% of the players that Richt put in the NFL. Let that sink in.

To further go down the rabbit hole, many of Richt’s NFL players simply under performed in the NFL, but made rosters due to elite athleticism. Mark Richt is a good coach, and was one, but wasn’t a great one.

Yes, UGA has a distinct advantage in recruiting. Georgia has one of the most talent dense populations of NFL talent, and most live within a short 2 hour drive of Athens. But make no mistake, Smart is murdering recruiting compared to Richt. In other words, Richt was doing what any decent recruiter SHOULD do in Athens. A 4-8 class should be the floor because of the geographic advantages. And GT will NEVER be a recruiting juggernaut. They are almost an Ivey league school, and they really don’t care about football as a whole other than against UGA.

But the difference between a 4-8 class and a 1-2 class is steeper than folks realize. Especially considering most sites only account for the top point values for X number of players.

The final topic is Kirby redeemed the loss against AU. I was at the loss, and I don’t think got could have fielded a team that was walking out with a win against them. We got our butts kicked. But we returned the favor. Then, LSU we inexplicably abandoned the run early. Finally, we competed very nicely against two Alabama teams seemed ‘best of all time.’

Now. A loss is a loss. We lost. But dang, we had a young team this year. We dug deep in our bench to field a roster because of injuries, and fatigue didn’t help us block those huge bama defenders who are super fast too. Our depth made us compete (I thought we’d get boat raced honestly due to said injuries.). Still, no excuses.

Kirby has some lessons to learn for sure. The fake punt and fake field goal, along with abandoning the run early in Death Valley will be inexcusable moving forward. But the dude is young. You can discount his in game calls with validity, but the mo fo straight up coached kids up.

Extra credit: we had 1 returning DB this year. Why was there no drop off? Because the 5 star freshmen filled the void left by the 3 star, no star (Aaron Davis was a walk on converted to scholly player last year, and another 3 star.). If both of those do not show the man can coach kids up, there is no statement in the world I can make to change your minds.

PS: time will tell, but the signs look good to me. I hope you guys are wrong, and I KNOW you hope I am. Sorry for grammar or spelling. Thanks iPhone.

giphy.gif

This thread is hilarious. Listen, I’m sure Florida is going to win 9-10 games during the regular season in 2019, 2020, and probably will do the same the majority of the following years. Having said that, I look forward to some dawg fan bumping this thread after we beat y’all by double digit points again next year. Enjoy the rest of your recruiting season!
tenor.gif

Got bored reading the same stuff over and over so I skipped to the end.

In regards to recruiting between Richt and Smart:

Richt was a very good recruiter that had some highly ranked classes. The main area he failed was on the O line. This hurt the dawgs when they played to top tier teams; but they had plenty of playmakers and adequate defenses to beat everyone else; hence the good records.

The recruiting right now is far and away the best year after year recruiting in our history. Fl had two elite coaches in the 90’s and 2000’s, but that is history; Mullen is good but nowhere near their level. Get prepared for years of misery.

You have no actual memory of your team winning a national championship unless you’re in your 50’s. You guys have the biggest little brother syndrome to Florida I have ever seen. You are projecting yourselves the next Bama but have nothing but recruiting ranks to hope on. So far your current coach has been out coached by Gus Malzahn and Ed Orgeron the last two seasons. My team sucks right now but at least we have some history to be proud of.
Apparently Kirby has really got to this guy. I’ve never known an FSU fan to kiss the Gators ass in such a pathetic fashion. Sounds like FSU’s shit season has this guy contemplating switching over to the Gators.

It’s honestly a good topic, though misguided. Someone linked it on our forums.

I think Kirby is a good coach. You guys could have done a lot worse and now Richt has brought his slightly above average coaching to UM.

This angle from many Gators that Kirby is a flash in the pan is something O do not agree with.
Hopefully they are correct, but I don’t see it. It’s wishful thinking.

1. "Far and away" better recruiting? I get it. Richt has some deficiencies in his recruiting, but it was too 10 almost every year, so that's not exactly "far and away."

2. The "you gator fans are so delusional" is absurd. It's your fans talking about how Florida won't beat Georgia for a decade and certainly not win the East. Yeah...that seems level headed.

3. I'm not sure anyone has said that Kirby isn't recruiting very, very well, but I and others don't think he's that great of a head coach. There is a difference. Sure, he's a great defensive mind, and he's got his recruiting down, but he doesn't come across as a great gameday coach, which is going to end up making him Richt 2.0. He's going to lose you games every single year because he seems to coach very tightly in important games.

Call it crazy. I get you guys are really excited, that's fair, but good lord you guys are being so over the top it's almost hard to comprehend your reaction.

Ask Tn fans how recruiting rankings can hide deficiencies in recruiting. Not leaving holes that become weak spots that get you beat, that’s what makes these classes far and away better.

I haven’t heard any reasonable Ga fan predict 10 straight years of victories over Fl. It could happen, but I highly doubt it. Mullen is a good coach and Fl is rich in talent. But the tide has turned and I expect Ga to win more than they lose in this rivalry.

Regarding Smart’s in game coaching, he has made some questionable calls, but that is part of his maturation in the HC role. I believe he will become our best coach if he stays with it for 20+ years and he will lead Ga to multiple national championships. For starters I think we will win two of the next four.

Ask Tn fans how recruiting rankings can hide deficiencies in recruiting. Not leaving holes that become weak spots that get you beat, that’s what makes these classes far and away better.

I haven’t heard any reasonable Ga fan predict 10 straight years of victories over Fl. It could happen, but I highly doubt it. Mullen is a good coach and Fl is rich in talent. But the tide has turned and I expect Ga to win more than they lose in this rivalry.

Regarding Smart’s in game coaching, he has made some questionable calls, but that is part of his maturation in the HC role. I believe he will become our best coach if he stays with it for 20+ years and he will lead Ga to multiple national championships. For starters I think we will win two of the next four.

Two of the next 4...national titles?

Geez....

And coaches staying anywhere for 20 years isn't really a thing anymore. I mean...he could I guess, but it doesn't seem to be how they think anymore (even if it is their Alma mater.)

Might wanna go look at the all time record bud. And the delusion of Gator fans in this thread thread has my sides hurting from laughing. Know your role Gators. You’re second at best now in the East.
The all time record is only within 8-9 games thanks to Spurrier (11-1) and Meyers (5-1) record vs UGA. Just add Ron Zook's 2-1 record along with McElwain's 2-1 record. Sorry you Georgia fans didn't have the luxury of having Athens favorite son Musdump (1-3 vs UGA) in Gainesville longer than you'd wish.

Meh... Until u get a wb that doesnt shit his pants in big games.....you will win nothing. Wait for the sanctions
LOL... I admire your consistency.
Will Kyler Murray have a better game against Bama than Fromm did? If he does, Okie may pull the upset.

I think a big part you folks are missing is how youthful this years team was. UGA isn’t losing a whole lot, and other than Baker (who has 2 5 stars waiting on the wings), everyone leaving has very valid options.

Kirby inherited a roster that was experienced, but lackluster in non skill positions. He definitively coached Roquan up as well as baker. The 2015 Richt team had 10 wins, but it was a mirage. Any team with a pulse blew that team to bits.

CMR came in hot, and was a good one. But the first 3-4 years of success were due to donnans elite recruiting. Donnan’s recruits accounted for nearly 50% of the players that Richt put in the NFL. Let that sink in.

To further go down the rabbit hole, many of Richt’s NFL players simply under performed in the NFL, but made rosters due to elite athleticism. Mark Richt is a good coach, and was one, but wasn’t a great one.

Yes, UGA has a distinct advantage in recruiting. Georgia has one of the most talent dense populations of NFL talent, and most live within a short 2 hour drive of Athens. But make no mistake, Smart is murdering recruiting compared to Richt. In other words, Richt was doing what any decent recruiter SHOULD do in Athens. A 4-8 class should be the floor because of the geographic advantages. And GT will NEVER be a recruiting juggernaut. They are almost an Ivey league school, and they really don’t care about football as a whole other than against UGA.

But the difference between a 4-8 class and a 1-2 class is steeper than folks realize. Especially considering most sites only account for the top point values for X number of players.

The final topic is Kirby redeemed the loss against AU. I was at the loss, and I don’t think got could have fielded a team that was walking out with a win against them. We got our butts kicked. But we returned the favor. Then, LSU we inexplicably abandoned the run early. Finally, we competed very nicely against two Alabama teams seemed ‘best of all time.’

Now. A loss is a loss. We lost. But dang, we had a young team this year. We dug deep in our bench to field a roster because of injuries, and fatigue didn’t help us block those huge bama defenders who are super fast too. Our depth made us compete (I thought we’d get boat raced honestly due to said injuries.). Still, no excuses.

Kirby has some lessons to learn for sure. The fake punt and fake field goal, along with abandoning the run early in Death Valley will be inexcusable moving forward. But the dude is young. You can discount his in game calls with validity, but the mo fo straight up coached kids up.

Extra credit: we had 1 returning DB this year. Why was there no drop off? Because the 5 star freshmen filled the void left by the 3 star, no star (Aaron Davis was a walk on converted to scholly player last year, and another 3 star.). If both of those do not show the man can coach kids up, there is no statement in the world I can make to change your minds.

PS: time will tell, but the signs look good to me. I hope you guys are wrong, and I KNOW you hope I am. Sorry for grammar or spelling. Thanks iPhone.

Jesus, u needed that many excuses? My gawd the gates were right....u guys are just the worst

LOL... I admire your consistency.
Will Kyler Murray have a better game against Bama than Fromm did? If he does, Okie may pull the upset.

I have seen people do great against bama and shred them. Some people step up to the challenge and some dont. Fromm plays great all yr, but when the pressure hits, the brown stain comes out

LOL this thread is gold. It's like these people quickly forgot McElwain beat them 2 out of 3. Beat Kang Kirby with Luke Del Rio at QB too. Two wins in a row, one of which was over a coach who was pretty much fired before the game, and now we won't beat them for a decade and they'll win 2 of the next 4 titles. Who knew second place finishes could make a fanbase so delusional. Imagine calling ANOTHER fanbase delusional because they don't happen to think you're gonna run off 5 straight victories against them. So absurd.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Kirby Smart has lost to Butch Jones, Jim McElwain, and Ed Orgeron, and to Vanderbilt, lol. Dan Mullen is a far better coach than any of them, so let’s please not act like Kirby isn’t capable of losing to him. Mullen is a top notch coach and if you think he isn’t because he failed to win titles at the worst program historically in the SEC, you’re delusional. Dude in year one took Florida and produced an offense that was ranked in the 100’s the year before and got it ranked in the 40s, their best offensive year by far since 2009. Guy can coach, but please keep thinking that he can’t.
Mullen has lost to Kirby twice. Once by 28 and once by 19. It's a fact. You can look it up if you don't believe me.

I have seen people do great against bama and shred them. Some people step up to the challenge and some dont. Fromm plays great all yr, but when the pressure hits, the brown stain comes out
Since football season is over for you, you must not have watched the game.
25/39 301 yds 7.7 yds/att 3 tds 0 ints
82.6 QBR
We lost but it wasn't on Fromm. No one's played that well against Bama this year.
Troll on brother.

That 42-7 win was over a 4-7 team. Didn't UF beat UGA in 2008 by a score of 49-10 when UGA was actually ranked somewhere in the top 10, and had a preseason number 1 ranking till they got spanked by Bama? I believe that's the last time UGA played Bama in the regular season.
Now we're getting way off track here. What did Smart have to do with that 2008 Gator game. And he did have something to do with both the 2008 Bama game and our 2015 Bama blowout loss. He coached D for them. So I'd call this rebuttal a big, capital F, Fail!!!

LOL this thread is gold. It's like these people quickly forgot McElwain beat them 2 out of 3. Beat Kang Kirby with Luke Del Rio at QB too. Two wins in a row, one of which was over a coach who was pretty much fired before the game, and now we won't beat them for a decade and they'll win 2 of the next 4 titles. Who knew second place finishes could make a fanbase so delusional. Imagine calling ANOTHER fanbase delusional because they don't happen to think you're gonna run off 5 straight victories against them. So absurd.
It is truly gold. We've got a team talking smack about a coach who just beat them by a mile back to back and their reason for feeling optimistic is they have a new coach, who also has been beaten by a mile, back to back, by that same coach. 24 karat right here.

The thread was started by a Bama fan dumbass. But y'all are so insecure someone supposedly posted a link to this thread on your board and the pussies who were too scared to post here in previous years come running like cockroaches because you're feeling brave after two victories and my god how dare anybody think you're not a dynasty who's going to win the next 10 championships! We'll show them! Clowns.

Since football season is over for you, you must not have watched the game.
25/39 301 yds 7.7 yds/att 3 tds 0 ints
82.6 QBR
We lost but it wasn't on Fromm. No one's played that well against Bama this year.
Troll on brother.

Listen, this is not about the softies in Tally. This is about Fromm vs Bama.....and thank gawd our season is over, no one wants to see that again.

Close game and he failed late....he doesnt have the "clutch gene". You can stat boy it all day long....facts are facts tho.

The thread was started by a Bama fan dumbass. But y'all are so insecure someone supposedly posted a link to this thread on your board and the pussies who were too scared to post here in previous years come running like cockroaches because you're feeling brave after two victories and my god how dare anybody think you're not a dynasty who's going to win the next 10 championships! We'll show them! Clowns.
Bama fans, Gator fans....whatevah. Did you get one of them daddy pics in the gator gear with Mullen?

Guys they finished 2nd place to Bama TWICE! They're winning 2 of the next 4 titles and UF won't compete with them for a decade. Lock it up.

Florida football died when Tebow cried.

You guys have really turned into a delusional fanbase that rivals Tennessee and south Carolina.

Smart went 8-5 his first year losing to vandy, despite that he signed a top 3 class that year and followed it up with the #1 class, he's on pace to have another top 3 class this year.

Meanwhile, Dan is sucking wind at 20 hoping to flip a few commits.

Smart gator fans know (openly or silently) that Kirby is building a really solid program in Athens far better than Richt could ever sustain.

You know how we know that you just actually ended up ironically explaining your own program from the beginning of that and being like Tennessee and South Carolina?

You all are posting here, we don't even know if yall board exists, nor do we care to check or think about you, same with fsu. yikes

Apparently Kirby has really got to this guy. I’ve never known an FSU fan to kiss the Gators ass in such a pathetic fashion. Sounds like FSU’s shit season has this guy contemplating switching over to the Gators.
You are a better version of UCF, except head to head you’re even. Your fanbase has been insufferable since you choked last year’s national title away. Now that you’ve choked two away you are even more arrogant. You guys celebrate moral victories like they are actual championships. It’s adorable.

Guys they finished 2nd place to Bama TWICE! They're winning 2 of the next 4 titles and UF won't compete with them for a decade. Lock it up.

The difference is when we won our 2 National titles in '06 & '08 we actually BEAT Alabama to win the SEC. UGA has gone 38 years without a NC, we've had 3 in that time.
When you win 2 National Titles in 3 years, then you can come over here and brag.

Reactions: gatordad3
The difference is when we won our 2 National titles in '06 & '08 we actually BEAT Alabama to win the SEC. UGA has gone 38 years without a NC, we've had 3 in that time.
When you win 2 National Titles in 3 years, then you can come over here and brag.
Have to agree with this.

Just continue living in your fantasy world....Typical....Dawgs own the SEC east, including you and will win it all next year...two years in a row of #1 recruiting....Kirby and the Dawgs are here to stay....There are three teams in the country at the top of the recruiting mountain, UGA, Bama and Clemson....Get used to being second level, because that is where you belong and will stay..... GO DAWGS!

Ummmmm....we just beat you in the SECCG. Second year in a row Kirby wasn't prepared for Bama's backup.

Mark Smart or Kirby Richt?

Reactions: 96-06-08GATOR
You really have no clue. Second year of development and putting in the offensive and defensive schemes we will be at least as good next year as this, and likely better. And hopefully next year we won't have lost 3 secondary starters to injury for the Georgia game, which is the only reason you won this year.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your delusional rationalization. Tyler Clark, Ben Cleveland, Andrew Thomas... Injuries only impacted the Gators though.

You are a better version of UCF, except head to head you’re even. Your fanbase has been insufferable since you choked last year’s national title away. Now that you’ve choked two away you are even more arrogant. You guys celebrate moral victories like they are actual championships. It’s adorable.

Are they a better version? Maybe. But UCF thinks they can beat Bama, while UGa knows they can't.

Are they a better version? Maybe. But UCF thinks they can beat Bama, while UGa knows they can't.
Lol... we're probably the only team in the country that goes into a Bama game not thinking "can we hang with Bama?" We're also the only team Saban has said he doesn't want to play again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT