ADVERTISEMENT

FSU GAME thread come in and have a laugh

Reactions: alaskanseminole
https://www.tampabay.com/sports/col...ncludes-Willie-Taggart-among-others_162151451

They did, it may not have been serious, there was no interview but 100% he was in consideration.

Ive said from the beginning that i thought Mullen was a better hire at UF than Tagg at FSU was.
LOL. Come on really? There was like a 1 sentence mention of Taggart in that entire article. Everybody knows UF seriously looked at Mullen, Frost and Kelly.

Taggart wasnt being sought after by anybody other than FSU.

@GhostOfMatchesMalone

Don't confuse FSU making a stupid selction (partly based on lack of availabilty) with it being a 2nd Tier school...while it's no secret that "old Gators" tend to look down their noses at FSU, the truth is no 3-time national championship football program is 2nd Tier.

To illustrate the point (and perception outside of Gainesville):
https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...-66-bcs-teams-into-four-tier-hierarchy-052517

...perception is derived in large part both by a program’s historical achievements and its more recent accomplishments, but it also encompasses everything from TV contracts to iconic uniforms to famed mascots to … yes, helmets. Prestige arguably shows itself most directly in the annual recruiting rankings, where we usually see the same group of programs finish in the roughly the same range year-in, year-out, regardless of annual ebbs and flows in their win-loss columns.

So here we go.

The 2017 list comprises 66 schools — the Power 5 conference members and independents Notre Dame and BYU. It’s a harsh reality, but in the playoff era, every Group of 5 school — even standouts like Boise State and Houston — is seen as a peasant (or worse), so there’s no point listing them.

Thanks to my friends at SI.com for re-formatting the old columns to fit their current design. For this version, teams in bold moved up in status from the 2012 edition. Strikethrough teams fell down.

Kings
Alabama

Clemson

Florida

Florida State

LSU

Miami

Michigan

Nebraska

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Penn State

Texas

USC

So you agree with numbers that FSU is a 1st tier job on even level with Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, etc?

I guess it would depend on your definition of what a Tier 1 program is. Is it based on performance and accolades, $$, combination? I mean, to be honest, NO school is on par with Alabama, but FSU has done more than both Texas and Ohio State in the last 30 years....heck, ALL Florida schools have. Heck, Jimbo won't be as successful at aTm as he was at FSU, BUT aTm has very deep pockets (oil money). ...and that's FSU's biggest issue--$$ Our program is only 71 years old and that is definitely a hindrance.

@GhostOfMatchesMalone

Don't confuse FSU making a stupid selction (partly based on lack of availabilty) with it being a 2nd Tier school...while it's no secret that "old Gators" tend to look down their noses at FSU, the truth is no 3-time national championship football program is 2nd Tier.

So Princeton is 1st tier? Winning NCs doesn't reserve you a spot on any tier. No one would say Vandy is a 1st tier job but a century ago, they were the best in the South. Times change.

Miami is not first tier. They were in 1988, not in 2018.

Florida State is not first tier. They were in 1998, not in 2018.

Nebraska isn't even close to 1st tier, I'd put FSU ahead of them.

Clemson is borderline, but I'd put them 2nd tier.

Penn State isn't 1st tier.

1st tier is the elite. The Top 10 programs.

2nd tier is 11-25 or so. FSU is a Top 25 job, I told numbers all along it was a good job. It's just not an elite job. I think it was in the middle of Bowden's run in the 90s, but not at any time before or after that.

Same thing with Miami in the late 80s under Johnson.

1st Tier programs have solid facilities, a solid recruiting base, and solid administration and support. Tradition plays a role, but I think it's more about what has been accomplished in the last 10-20 years versus a century ago.

FSU just doesn't measure up to those other jobs. If Alabama or Ohio State or USC or Texas have a job opening, you won't see them even considering a coach like Willie Taggart, because they can do better than him.

So Princeton is 1st tier? Winning NCs doesn't reserve you a spot on any tier. No one would say Vandy is a 1st tier job but a century ago, they were the best in the South. Times change.

2nd tier is 11-25 or so. FSU is a Top 25 job, I told numbers all along it was a good job. It's just not an elite job. I think it was in the middle of Bowden's run in the 90s, but not at any time before or after that.

1st Tier programs have solid facilities, a solid recruiting base, and solid administration and support. Tradition plays a role, but I think it's more about what has been accomplished in the last 10-20 years versus a century ago.

FSU just doesn't measure up to those other jobs. If Alabama or Ohio State or USC or Texas have a job opening, you won't see them even considering a coach like Willie Taggart, because they can do better than him.
I think those are fair points, Ghost...one's really not worth arguing over. Again, I think it boils down to an individual's definition of Tier 1 vs Tier 2 and so on. Heck, Bama is on its own playing field at the moment, so I'm not even sure how to quantify it.

I think those are fair points, Ghost...one's really not worth arguing over. Again, I think it boils down to an individual's definition of Tier 1 vs Tier 2 and so on. Heck, Bama is on its own playing field at the moment, so I'm not even sure how to quantify it.

Everyone has their own definition and I think it's fun to argue over as long as no one gets upset, which you haven't.

IMO the biggest thing a program can do to ensure long-term success is invest in its facilities. Instead, most programs overpay for 'name' coaches, which may help short-term, but often ends up burning the program long-term.

In 2002, Bama was hit with a massive probation. The job was NOT 1st tier at that time. AD Mal Moore was smart enough to build for the future, and launched the Cirmson Tradition Fund with a $100 Million facility upgrade, which at the time was a massive amount. 5 years later it ended up being the thing that convinced Saban to take the job, since he saw that the facilities in Tuscaloosa were good enough to start winning soon.

Better facilities lead to better recruiting, better player development and recovery. Schools should start there, then use the additional funds generated to target better coaches.

Yeah pretty sure FSU has all that, and a NC within the last 5 years.

Better job = one conference title 20 years ago, 0 NC the last 75 years. Sounds like a dead end job to me. Fact is they overpaid for a burned out coach.

A&M has facilities on par with Bama's. Easily better than FSU's, and a better recruiting base, in a better college town.

No contest.

Well the guy that won you that NC just left you for a better job. Proving my point.
See, even that is up for debate. It's a better "paying" job, for certain, but is it a better job? Has anyone ever won anything there? Stuck playing SEC West in/out every year to include Bama (for the foreseeable future). FSU (like UF and Miami) recruit themselves.

Jimbo clearly thinks he can win more championships at A&M than he could by staying at FSU.
Jimbo took the one shot he'll ever have at BIG money. He'd have been stupid not to have taken that job. Heck, if someone wanted to overpay me for a job, I'd be dumb not to take it also.

But yes, A&M has better facilities and more money...the pieces are definitely there.

That said, FSU's facilities are nothing to scoff at. The only thing we're missing is the stand alone football building which is now in the works.

See, even that is up for debate. It's a better "paying" job, for certain, but is it a better job? Has anyone ever won anything there? Stuck playing SEC West in/out every year to include Bama (for the foreseeable future). FSU (like UF and Miami) recruit themselves.

Jimbo doesn't need money. The money is about status for big name coach, not financial need.

A&M has elite facilities, support and recruiting base. The fact they haven't won many titles is more an indictment of the coaches they have hired, than the program

RC Slocum
Mike Sherman
Kevin Sumlin
Franny

That's not exactly a murder's row of head coaches. Sumlin in particular should have done much better than he did.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Jimbo took the one shot he'll ever have at BIG money. He'd have been stupid not to have taken that job. Heck, if someone wanted to overpay me for a job, I'd be dumb not to take it also.

But yes, A&M has better facilities and more money...the pieces are definitely there.

That said, FSU's facilities are nothing to scoff at. The only thing we're missing is the stand alone football building which is now in the works.
His message got stale. Once he had to give players contracts to remind them not to quit it became obvious. Also his surrounding himself with yes men.

His message got stale. Once he had to give players contracts to remind them not to quit it became obvious. Also his surrounding himself with yes men.
Pre 2015 Jimbo (pre divorce) was the guy I liked...between Jamies and Candy he was run ragged. I mean, good grief, he wouldn't even leave his office on "game day" for the ribbon cutting ceremony for the indoor practice facility he demanded. ...just left the top donors standing there waiting. smh

Texas hired charlie strong....who was our second choice...literally talking to the same people. Bama made 1 good hire in the last 30 yrs....Saban. Who in the hell has USC hired that is any good? Garb coach after garb coach. Bammer fans gunna bammer ....or should i say buca gunna buca??

Texas hired charlie strong....who was our second choice...literally talking to the same people. Bama made 1 good hire in the last 30 yrs....Saban. Who in the hell has USC hired that is any good? Garb coach after garb coach. Bammer fans gunna bammer ....or should i say buca gunna buca??

Texas also threw $120 M at Saban in 2012, and he stayed in Tuscaloosa.

Programs don't always make great hires. You FSU fans should know that better than most.

Texas also threw $120 M at Saban in 2012, and he stayed in Tuscaloosa.

Programs don't always make great hires. You FSU fans should know that better than most.

They threw a ton at jimbo too....he stayed at fsu...ur point?

Actually, if u understood even basic things, FSU has had Bobby and Jimbo for the past 40 some yrs.... So how should we umderstand that better than most? I dont think 1 FSU fan will say willie is amazing. We had a minority pres who wanted to hire a minority coach. Our 2 coaches were willie and strong, those were the 2 we looked at. You better be glad we werent interested in Saban

They threw a ton at jimbo too....he stayed at fsu...ur point?

Actually, if u understood even basic things, FSU has had Bobby and Jimbo for the past 40 some yrs.... So how should we umderstand that better than most? I dont think 1 FSU fan will say willie is amazing. We had a minority pres who wanted to hire a minority coach. Our 2 coaches were willie and strong, those were the 2 we looked at. You better be glad we werent interested in Saban

Jimbo isn't coaching for FSU anymore, remember you've claimed FSU was too poor to pay him what A&M could? Because....that's why he left for A&M LOL

If he wanted a minority coach then why didn't he look at James Franklin? Franklin, unlike Willie, has actually proven he can win at a Power 5 program. Or did he, and Franklin wouldn't return his call?

Jimbo isn't coaching for FSU anymore, remember you've claimed FSU was too poor to pay him what A&M could? Because....that's why he left for A&M LOL

If he wanted a minority coach then why didn't he look at James Franklin? Franklin, unlike Willie, has actually proven he can win at a Power 5 program. Or did he, and Franklin wouldn't return his call?

Franklin is garbage LOL didnt he just get beat 42-0 against a worse and he has a better roster LOL buca...lol

Also, we paid jimbo well. He was always top 5

Franklin is garbage LOL didnt he just get beat 42-0 against a worse and he has a better roster LOL buca...lol

Also, we paid jimbo well. He was always top 5

You said your AD wanted a minority coach. Apparently he didn't want the best minority coach, he just wanted a minority coach.

Taggart fits that bill, then.

You said your AD wanted a minority coach. Apparently he didn't want the best minority coach, he just wanted a minority coach.

Taggart fits that bill, then.

Theres not a great minority coach. Tagg is a top 3 minority coach....thats the pool we were picking from....u know this buca

Love how u skim over things that prove u wrong time and again..buca gunna buca

Theres not a great minority coach. Tagg is a top 3 minority coach....thats the pool we were picking from....u know this buca

Ok so let's keep following your logic:

You say your AD wanted a minority coach. Fine.

You say that Taggart was a Top 3 minority coach. Fine.

You say FSU is a 1st tier job. Fine.

If FSU is a 1st tier job and they wanted a minority coach, why did they have to settle for the 3rd best minority coach? Why did the #1 and #2 minority coaches turn down a supposed 1st tier job like FSU?

Ok so let's keep following your logic:

You say your AD wanted a minority coach. Fine.

You say that Taggart was a Top 3 minority coach. Fine.

You say FSU is a 1st tier job. Fine.

If FSU is a 1st tier job and they wanted a minority coach, why did they have to settle for the 3rd best minority coach? Why did the #1 and #2 minority coaches turn down a supposed 1st tier job like FSU?

I said he was top 3...thats 1 2 or 3.....u need a friend buca... Last response to u, u have such a low IQ its hard to conversate with u. Im sure ur lonely ass will quote this and say something to try and bait me back in...it wont work. Buca gunna buca

I don’t believe Taggart is a top 3 minority coach at all. Dino Babers, James Franklin, David Shaw, Lovie Smith, Derek Mason & Kevin Sumlin would all be doing a better job than Taggart.

By the way I believe there is only like 14 minority coaches in all of college football.

I don’t believe Taggart is a top 3 minority coach at all. Dino Babers, James Franklin, David Shaw, Lovie Smith, Derek Mason & Kevin Sumlin would all be doing a better job than Taggart.

By the way I believe there is only like 14 minority coaches in all of college football.

We dont have good players. Tagg won 11 games at USF and was considered by many to be a rising star. I dont think hes a good fit at FSU. All of his jobs he has inherited a shit show and turned it around. I dont think he ever wins a national title but jimbo was 2 and 6 to start the yr last yr, we dont have good players. Most of the coaches you listed have been fired constantly or just bad their jobs. I do think shaw is the best minority coach

Taggart has a career LOSING record as a head coach. He's garbage.

We dont have good players. Tagg won 11 games at USF and was considered by many to be a rising star. I dont think hes a good fit at FSU. All of his jobs he has inherited a shit show and turned it around. I dont think he ever wins a national title but jimbo was 2 and 6 to start the yr last yr, we dont have good players. Most of the coaches you listed have been fired constantly or just bad their jobs. I do think shaw is the best minority coach
He almost got fired at USF. He was a few losses away from getting his butt canned. He has never been anywhere long enough to know if he can build a program or sustain a program. That’s a fact. Who really knows. Jim McElwain once turned around a crap program as well at Colorado St. We see how that turned out.

Is Taggart any good? He has a career losing record and so far has broken a lot of records at FSU in his first year. Not good records I might add.

You would be lying if you didn’t think he totally looks out of his league right about now.

You better be glad we werent interested in Saban
giphy.gif

Can we stop and spend some time here, please?

I mean...Gene Stallings was a good hire.

Went 71-25 in 7 seasons from 1990-1996.

Won a national title, had an SEC Title, won the division 4 our if 5 years, and had a 5-1 bowl record.

Conversely, twenty years earlier he mad a miserable stint at TAMU, going 27-45-1 with only one winning season.

The Red Turds

2007 7-6

2006 6-7 losing season, lost to OKSt in In-Depends Bowl

2004 6-6 lost to Minnie in Music City Bowl

2003 4-9 losing season

2001 7-5

2000 3-8 losing season

1998 7-5

1997 4-7 losing season

1995 8-3

With nothing better than a few 10 win season in between those years. o_O

So the Red Turds have have more losing seasons since 1980 than the Gators have... :p

Reactions: fsu939913
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT