ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread?

I think Clayton is a 50/50 to go. Prolly depends on what the NBA tells him. He's a daddy now, so if he needs to go I'd understand, but I sure hope he stays, plays, and gets a degree for after basketball.

As to SF, I expect both Richard and Haugh to share that position, depending on who's hot.
Just like I exxpect both Condon and Shimmy to share the PF position some.
I'd like to see 10-11 play some in most games, instead of just 6-7.
==========

Tallest teenager in the world attends IMG Academy in Florida. He has already played internationally for Canada.

C Olivier Rioux has committed to continue his basketball career at UF in 2024.
He stands 7-7 300 and plays for IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) , which is ranked No. 5 in the Preseason National Top 10.

The 17-year-old is unofficially listed by multiple recruiting services at 7-6. But Rioux claims he's even taller, listing himself at 7-7 on his Instagram page, adding that he also has a size 20 foot... He can grab the rim without leaving his feet, and last year he was rated the nation's No. 147 overall prospect and No. 22 center in the class of 2024 as an EE, after reclassifying from 2025.

Evaluator Speculation -- He could be charting a similar course to that of Zach Edey, a 7-4 305 center who also attended IMG Academy back in 2020. Edey is a candidate for the John Wooden Award (given to college basketball's most outstanding player), Edey is averaging 22.6 points and 13.9 rebounds per game for No. 1-ranked Purdue.

Yes Olivier is raw. Yes he's leaving HS a year early, and yes like any high school player moving up to the college levels, he'll need some time, (how much??), but you can't coach 7-7 raw height, just like you can't coach up raw speed in football. You've either got it or you don't.

I found some old (11/09/23) scouting eval's, but nothing more recent.
"Olivier Rioux is a 7-7 center that takes up immense space on the floor but isn't the most fleet of foot. In short minutes, Rioux can come into a game to clog the paint, shield opponents away from the rim and be a serviceable rebounder. He does have pretty good hands and touch on the offensive side of the ball but will need to continue developing his coordination especially in quick reaction circumstances."

As with any young really big guys, his speed and coordination will take time to fully develop. Heck, he's still freakin' growing... But as an EE Fr, he can play maybe 5-7 minutes a game and/or fill in for other bigs if/when they get in foul trouble. His
'intimidation factor' alone is worth a few minutes per game imo. I never expected him to be a starter right away, he's a team orientated guy and so neither does he. BTW, at 300 Lbs, he's not in the least bit fat...

I'd love to get that IMG PG too!

I think Clayton is a 50/50 to go. Prolly depends on what the NBA tells him. He's a daddy now, so if he needs to go I'd understand, but I sure hope he stays, plays, and gets a degree for after basketball.

As to SF, I expect both Richard and Haugh to share that position, depending on who's hot.
Just like I exxpect both Condon and Shimmy to share the PF position some.
I'd like to see 10-11 play some in most games, instead of just 6-7.
==========

Tallest teenager in the world attends IMG Academy in Florida. He has already played internationally for Canada.

C Olivier Rioux has committed to continue his basketball career at UF in 2024.
He stands 7-7 300 and plays for IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) , which is ranked No. 5 in the Preseason National Top 10.

The 17-year-old is unofficially listed by multiple recruiting services at 7-6. But Rioux claims he's even taller, listing himself at 7-7 on his Instagram page, adding that he also has a size 20 foot... He can grab the rim without leaving his feet, and last year he was rated the nation's No. 147 overall prospect and No. 22 center in the class of 2024 as an EE, after reclassifying from 2025.

Evaluator Speculation -- He could be charting a similar course to that of Zach Edey, a 7-4 305 center who also attended IMG Academy back in 2020. Edey is a candidate for the John Wooden Award (given to college basketball's most outstanding player), Edey is averaging 22.6 points and 13.9 rebounds per game for No. 1-ranked Purdue.

Yes Olivier is raw. Yes he's leaving HS a year early, and yes like any high school player moving up to the college levels, he'll need some time, (how much??), but you can't coach 7-7 raw height, just like you can't coach up raw speed in football. You've either got it or you don't.

I found some old (11/09/23) scouting eval's, but nothing more recent.
"Olivier Rioux is a 7-7 center that takes up immense space on the floor but isn't the most fleet of foot. In short minutes, Rioux can come into a game to clog the paint, shield opponents away from the rim and be a serviceable rebounder. He does have pretty good hands and touch on the offensive side of the ball but will need to continue developing his coordination especially in quick reaction circumstances."

As with any young really big guys, his speed and coordination will take time to fully develop. Heck, he's still freakin' growing... But as an EE Fr, he can play maybe 5-7 minutes a game and/or fill in for other bigs if/when they get in foul trouble. His
'intimidation factor' alone is worth a few minutes per game imo. I never expected him to be a starter right away, he's a team orientated guy and so neither does he. BTW, at 300 Lbs, he's not in the least bit fat...

I'd love to get that IMG PG too!

That's one tall dude

Reactions: instaGATOR
That's one tall dude

He needs martial arts training imo, starting with something like ju-jutsu maybe, and supplemented with Yoga stretching and balance. Back in the day, I'd have had him doing squats until he could jump up and lay a dime coin on the top of the backboard - now days, he'd have to want it that bad and freely choose to do it for himself and his team.

The normal weight workout and nutrition program should handle the rest, along with playing/practicing basketball of course... Because his daze of HS loafing due to his height advantage ends at the college level.
There's plenty of guys out there that can push him around and/or just make him look slow/dumb with their movement techniques, even as tall as he is.

The little that I've read about him leads me to believe that he's not lazy, nor is he dumb, so I wish him/them the best...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT