ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

He wont be fired after 2 seasons but his contract is set up to where it doesn't cost anymore to fire him after 3 seasons than it does after 4 seasons. If he keeps this recruiting up and doesn't produce good on the field he could possible have a run as short as Zook's.

If Meyer gets canned I suspect that within 5 mins you'll start making the case that UF needs to move fast and fire Mullen (for 'poor' job performance, obviously) and hire Meyer.

"If you start listening to the fans, soon you'll be sitting in the stands with them" - Gene Stallings

Last edited:
If Meyer gets canned I suspect that within 5 mins you'll start making the case that UF needs to move fast and fire Mullen (for 'poor' job performance, obviously) and hire Meyer.

"If you start listening to the fans, soon you'll be sitting in the stands with them" - Gene Stallings

As a joke maybe but heck his transgression would be no worse than some other coaches and what they have done. I think Meyer probably calls it quits as a college head coach if they fire him. Imagine if the ND job was to open up after the 2019 season however.

More coming...

The 2018 recruiting class was very good considering how much time he had on the job and the recruiting of Van Jefferson and Trevon Grimes as transfer candidates. The 2020 class is off to a good start as well.

Reactions: sadgator
Wow he really did leave.

No.

Just like all these guys, whenever when of their silly absolutes and predictions takes a hit, they disappear for a while and then come back as soon as things go their way again.

He's probably formulating his argument right now. And I can already see it.

It's only one player.

He's from Mississippi so Mullen already had an in.

He's not from Florida.

He's not a 5 Star.

Mullen should be fired.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
He's from Mississippi so Mullen already had an in.

That re-enforces a key point I tried to make to him that he completely dismissed: It will take Mullen time to establish relationships with HS coaches in Florida. He has those still with the coaches in Mississippi, which no doubt played a role in this commit.

That re-enforces a key point I tried to make to him that he completely dismissed: It will take Mullen time to establish relationships with HS coaches in Florida. He has those still with the coaches in Mississippi, which no doubt played a role in this commit.
This is one of the most asinine posts I have ever read. Mullen recruited Florida as part of the staff here. He was the GD F'N HC at a SEC school and you think he wasn't already recruiting and developing relationships with HS coaches in Florida, one of the 3 biggest hotbeds in the country for talent. LMFAO!!!! Either he is even a worse recruiter than we thought or you are completely clueless. I am going with the latter. LMAO! Coaches from lower division schools around the country are recruiting Florida and focused on developing relationships with local staffs from the state, but HC Dan Mullen fell asleep that day it was covered in Head Coaching 101 class and for almost 10 years you think he failed to do it. Most major recruiting markets in Florida are within 11 hours drive time from Starkville.

This is one of the most asinine posts I have ever read. Mullen recruited Florida as part of the staff here. He was the GD F'N HC at a SEC school and you think he wasn't already recruiting and developing relationships with HS coaches in Florida, one of the 3 biggest hotbeds in the country for talent. LMFAO!!!! Either he is even a worse recruiter than we thought or you are completely clueless. I am going with the latter. LMAO! Coaches from lower division schools around the country are recruiting Florida and focused on developing relationships with local staffs from the state, but HC Dan Mullen fell asleep that day it was covered in Head Coaching 101 class and for almost 10 years you think he failed to do it. Most major recruiting markets in Florida are within 11 hours drive time from Starkville.

He is just an excuse maker and will make excuses when we have a joke 20th type area Rivals ranked class.

He is just an excuse maker and will make excuses when we have a joke 20th type area Rivals ranked class.

Funny thing is, you cried about wanting blue chip commitments. You got one today, then you ran away. When you come back, you claim he needs to get '12 more' before you will be impressed.

You have been gushing about A&M's #2 class......their star average is 3.48.

Florida's is currently 3.42. Almost identical, yet you think Jimbo's class is oh-so dreamy, and want to fire Mullen over a class with almost the same star average LOL

You are fun.

Oh now there's "excuse makers" to go along with "sunshine pumpers?"

What exactly are you?

I'm guessing you think you're enlightened in some way.

That was 10 years ago, bro.
To be blunt. You are clueless.

Yes, he recruited Florida 10 years ago as a member of Urban's staff. But, if Florida wasn't in his Top 2 (MS being #1) areas to recruit as a Head Coach, SEC/Power 5 no less, than he has no business being in the college football business in any capacity. Florida is practically in his back yard and is one of the 3 biggest talent pool states in the country. When the wheels of the plane touched down in Starkville, his 1st objective should have been to touch base with each and every contact he made in Florida and try to deepen the relationship immediately. It was one of the reasons he was hired at MSU, for his Florida contacts.

And I assure you he did just that. While I am not sold on Mullen leading us to any championships, he is not an idiot. The problem is he is not known as a people person. In many ways he is like Jim McElwain personality wise. Not characteristic wise, but the way he rubs people. He isn't "likable". I could give you a list of adjectives that have been used to describe him from those who have worked closely with him but "jack ass" would be a perfect summation and would be my own personal experience with him as well. I do think it is something he recognized and tried to adjust since becoming the head man of a program, but it comes with an awkwardness because that isn't who he is. If you haven't already, go to one of the events on his tour to interact with him and see what I am talking about. This is probably Mullen's biggest obstacle in recruiting: winning over HS coaches, recruits/family.

I am not staying Mullen needs to be fired. I am saying the AD should have already had a list of 5-10 top candidates for the HC position and should have one each and every year for a just in case moment. If panic hadn't set in, Mullen would not have been in the Top 10 for the search committee. He just wouldn't have been. He wasn't that caliber of a HC. But, what is done is done. When the final signing period is complete, if UF isn't bordering Top 10, his hand needs to be forced regarding the staff. We lost out on one top candidate due to staffing, let's be consistent and have Stricklin forced Mullen's hand.

Funny thing is, you cried about wanting blue chip commitments. You got one today, then you ran away. When you come back, you claim he needs to get '12 more' before you will be impressed.

You have been gushing about A&M's #2 class......their star average is 3.48.

Florida's is currently 3.42. Almost identical, yet you think Jimbo's class is oh-so dreamy, and want to fire Mullen over a class with almost the same star average LOL

You are fun.

lol Let me know when we are back in the top 4 in the SEC even. A 20th or so ranked Rivals class at the end is a joke in the SEC.

To be blunt. You are clueless.

Miss State's recruiting budget is 2nd lowest in the SEC. Vandy spends more on recruiting than the Bulldogs do. Florida's budget is twice as much.

Mullen concentrates on Mississippi high schools, and Mississippi JUCOs.

I may be clueless, but I'm smart enough to know where he spent most of his limited recruiting budget when he was in Starkville, and it wasn't spent on hoping a jet to Florida HSes.

Class dismissed.

Gee Whiz...hard to believe everybody here roots for the same team...

If you aren’t excited about what is ahead with Mullen, you are really cheating yourself...just sayin’...

ORANGE....ORANGE....ORANGE, ORANGE, ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!
Serious question. Are you even sure that guys like Gator Fever really do root for the same team as you?

Yea imagine McElwain was still here. We'd have had a shitty class last year, be having another shitty class this year because everybody was know he was getting fired, and we'd have to watch another season of that garbage offense. I swear I wouldn't have watched a single game.

Reactions: sadgator
Miss State's recruiting budget is 2nd lowest in the SEC. Vandy spends more on recruiting than the Bulldogs do. Florida's budget is twice as much.

Mullen concentrates on Mississippi high schools, and Mississippi JUCOs.

I may be clueless, but I'm smart enough to know where he spent most of his limited recruiting budget when he was in Starkville, and it wasn't spent on hoping a jet to Florida HSes.

Class dismissed.

Take a seat son. I will let you know when class is dismissed. The only thing that rivals your juvenile understanding of the process is your inability to comprehend what you read.
Here's what I said:
"Yes, he recruited Florida 10 years ago as a member of Urban's staff. But, if Florida wasn't in his Top 2 (MS being #1) areas to recruit as a Head Coach, SEC/Power 5 no less, than he has no business being in the college football business in any capacity."

Maybe you don't realize MS is the abbreviation for MISSISSIPPI. 65% of the Florida blue chips are within 10.5 driving hours of Starkville with several regional to large airports along the way. Mullen himself mentioned the state as a primary focus for he and his staff when he took over MSU. (Follow football much?) His focus at UF as OC was Florida and is one of the reason why he was hired at MSU. You think he just pulled up stakes and forgot about his bread and butter? The bread and butter of EVERY COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH IN AMERICA? Even Div II and III teams in the mid West and far West with much smaller budgets than MSU have this state as a major focus? Leave the recruiting logistics and planning to the professionals.

Now, you are excused.

Take a seat son. I will let you know when class is dismissed. The only thing that rivals your juvenile understanding of the process is your inability to comprehend what you read.
Here's what I said:
"Yes, he recruited Florida 10 years ago as a member of Urban's staff. But, if Florida wasn't in his Top 2 (MS being #1) areas to recruit as a Head Coach, SEC/Power 5 no less, than he has no business being in the college football business in any capacity."

Maybe you don't realize MS is the abbreviation for MISSISSIPPI. 65% of the Florida blue chips are within 10.5 driving hours of Starkville with several regional to large airports along the way. Mullen himself mentioned the state as a primary focus for he and his staff when he took over MSU. (Follow football much?) His focus at UF as OC was Florida and is one of the reason why he was hired at MSU. You think he just pulled up stakes and forgot about his bread and butter? The bread and butter of EVERY COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH IN AMERICA? Even Div II and III teams in the mid West and far West with much smaller budgets than MSU have this state as a major focus? Leave the recruiting logistics and planning to the professionals.

Now, you are excused.

He will just continue to spin things and at the end when we have a Rivals class that is 7th to 10th in the SEC and from 18 to the 20s nationally that it was somehow a good recruiting year for Mullen.

Last edited:
Bwahahahaha!!!!!

JFC the '19 class as is stands in the 15-20 range on average star rating on rivals. Quit being a miserable doosh.

Sorry - I wont pump sunshine when its going the way it is and we are heading for mid pack SEC recruiting.

Oh FFS you do realize players like Jefferson, Grimes, and Krull are not going to show in any official recruiting rankings but our team is damn better off with them than without?

Having had an offense for the better part of a decade that sucked donkey balls certainly hss not helped.

Here's what I said:

Maybe you don't realize MS is the abbreviation for MISSISSIPPI. 65% of the Florida blue chips are within 10.5 driving hours of Starkville with several regional to large airports along the way.

Yes there's airports all over the place. Doesn't matter if you don't have any money to use them.

Again....Vandy spends more on recruiting than Miss State.

Would Mullen have liked to recruit Florida more? Of course, but he had limited funds and had to spend them wisely.

That's why he focused on Mississippi first. Then Alabama, and Tennessee.

You can't really build connections with high school coaches that you can only afford to see once or twice a year. Especially when you are competing against coaches from the Florida schools who are seeing them weekly.

Mullen had about $800k to spend on recruiting at MSU, and Florida had about $1.5 M. Mullen was about 1,000 miles from most of the coaches in Florida, while Florida was about a 2-3 hour drive from most of the same coaches.

This isn't that hard.

Last edited:
Yes there's airports all over the place. Doesn't matter if you don't have any money to use them.

Would Mullen have liked to recruit Florida more? Of course, but he had limited funds and had to spend them wisely.

You can't really build connections with high school coaches that you can only afford to see once or twice a year. Especially when you are competing against coaches from the Florida schools who are seeing them weekly.

Mullen had about $800k to spend on recruiting at MSU, and Florida had about $1.5 M. Mullen was about 1,000 miles from most of the coaches in Florida, while Florida was about a 2-3 hour drive from most of the same coaches.

This isn't that hard.

https://www.seccountry.com/mississi...ived-21000-national-signing-day-2-sec-schools

According to an in-depth report from Steven Godfrey of SB Nation, Mississippi State linebacker Leo Lewis, a prized recruit in the 2015 class, received a number of benefits from a number of schools, namely Ole Miss as well as his current Mississippi State team, prior to National Signing Day that year.

“Then Lewis started talking,” Godfrey says. “About money. About free hotels, free rides to visit college campuses, hundred-dollar handshakes, free apparel, and even more money, bags of cash he says he received from multiple SEC programs totaling over $21,000 during the final week before National Signing Day in February 2015.”

Lewis says he took $10,000 cash from an Ole Miss booster, he could only recall the name Allen, the day before signing day.

‘I just wanted the money,'” he said. “‘Cause I needed it … We was moving to a house, and I actually had my daughter. My dad had just went to prison. Uh yeah, so needed it, so I took it. asked for it, and I took it.'”

“Additionally, new documentation submitted to the Committee on Infractions by attorneys for Ole Miss claims Lewis told NCAA enforcement he took $11,000 in benefits from his current school, Mississippi State. Unlike Lewis, Mississippi State cannot receive conditional immunity for any former, current, or future statements its current player makes.”

https://www.seccountry.com/mississi...ived-21000-national-signing-day-2-sec-schools

According to an in-depth report from Steven Godfrey of SB Nation, Mississippi State linebacker Leo Lewis, a prized recruit in the 2015 class, received a number of benefits from a number of schools, namely Ole Miss as well as his current Mississippi State team, prior to National Signing Day that year.

“Then Lewis started talking,” Godfrey says. “About money. About free hotels, free rides to visit college campuses, hundred-dollar handshakes, free apparel, and even more money, bags of cash he says he received from multiple SEC programs totaling over $21,000 during the final week before National Signing Day in February 2015.”

Lewis says he took $10,000 cash from an Ole Miss booster, he could only recall the name Allen, the day before signing day.

‘I just wanted the money,'” he said. “‘Cause I needed it … We was moving to a house, and I actually had my daughter. My dad had just went to prison. Uh yeah, so needed it, so I took it. asked for it, and I took it.'”

“Additionally, new documentation submitted to the Committee on Infractions by attorneys for Ole Miss claims Lewis told NCAA enforcement he took $11,000 in benefits from his current school, Mississippi State. Unlike Lewis, Mississippi State cannot receive conditional immunity for any former, current, or future statements its current player makes.”

What does the rumor that a booster paid a player have to do with Miss State's recruiting budget?

This isn't that hard.
Congratulations! You figured out a coach in Florida has less distance to travel than a coach in Mississippi. Meanwhile, coaches with smaller budgets than MSU travel to Florida with regularity because you go where the talent is. Mullen understood it and that is why he made Florida a priority. Not sure why you don't understand it. Ask any coach East of the Continental Divide what states they put a priority on for recruiting and Florida will be in the first 3. East of the Mississippi River and it's #2. You. Go. Where. The. Talent. Is.

I've worked for 4 programs in my career and during my time at South Carolina, we had a smaller budget than MSU and our focus was 1. South Carolina 2. North/Central Florida. It was stressed more than NC or GA. You are right that you can't build connections with staffs that you see once or twice a year. If that is how you perceive recruiting take place there lies the problem. It's much more than a coach paying a visit.

I am not staying Mullen needs to be fired. I am saying the AD should have already had a list of 5-10 top candidates for the HC position and should have one each and every year for a just in case moment. If panic hadn't set in, Mullen would not have been in the Top 10 for the search committee. He just wouldn't have been.

Ok, then give me the Top 10 coaches that Florida would have REALISTICALLY put on its list ahead of Mullen.

I'm clueless and you're smart, so let's see it....

Yep. And Mississippi has one of the best JUCO systems in the country.

That is fantastic! But why are coaches nationwide flying over MS enroute to Florida. MS isn't even a second thought to most. They will go there when there is a need. You. Go. Where. The. Talent. Is.
I know.

One out of 20 isn't bad. I have confidence you will get another 1 right somewhere in the distant future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT