ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

This is where the problem lies: "and then hired the best available coach for our program...". You are half right. He was available and for a reason. The "best" is very debatable. I think the best word to describe this hire was "safe". We knew he would take it and that's what they were looking for because they couldn't take tripping up again. Dan knew this and made us pay. We can all agree he is not a $6MM per year coach/Top 10 payscale.

He took a MSU team that averaged 4-5 wins per year and they averaged 7 wins under him. Part of the reason is MSU dumbed down the schedule during that time. Now an argument could be made that they played in the West division and watering down the schedule made sense. But, at least be honest. Then this nonsense about he had MSU #1 for a month. Big whoop de doo. They played no one with their weak schedule, then ran into the meat of the West and what happened? I don't want a guy who just wins the games he should, I want to know what he can do against the teams with equal or better players and that doesn't bode well for Mullen.

This crap about "he knows our culture" is crazy stupid. There's a reason why he wasn't on the radar earlier post Meyer. He couldn't handle it and wanted out asap. He wasn't liked and he didn't like us. His wife has said as much. He had no offers for another coaching gig except for us and UT since he took over at State. Ask why. Opportunities have been there. I've worked in the athletic dept at UF and stayed close with my peeps there since leaving back in 2002. Mullen returning is a nightmare for them and was more or less forced on us by Strickland and the circumstances of having to save face.

As for the comment about Chip taking a West door mat and making them a mid tier team. Chip would have been competing and winning SEC titles. Something Mullen never has done. And giving Mullen credit for what mostly is owned by Meyer is like giving McElwain credit for what mostly is owned by Saban. We aren't getting our monies worth at 6MM/yr with Mullen. 4MM maybe, but I would rather have someone with a chance to beat UGA, FSU, Bama. Mullen isn't the guy.

Hope I am wrong, but I haven't been since the late 1980's. I am THAT good.
Chip didn’t want to come.
Frost didn’t want to come.
Mullen wanted to be our coach.

Tell us O’ Wise One...who else would you have hired?

This is where the problem lies: "and then hired the best available coach for our program...". You are half right. He was available and for a reason. The "best" is very debatable. I think the best word to describe this hire was "safe". We knew he would take it and that's what they were looking for because they couldn't take tripping up again. Dan knew this and made us pay. We can all agree he is not a $6MM per year coach/Top 10 payscale.

He took a MSU team that averaged 4-5 wins per year and they averaged 7 wins under him. Part of the reason is MSU dumbed down the schedule during that time. Now an argument could be made that they played in the West division and watering down the schedule made sense. But, at least be honest. Then this nonsense about he had MSU #1 for a month. Big whoop de doo. They played no one with their weak schedule, then ran into the meat of the West and what happened? I don't want a guy who just wins the games he should, I want to know what he can do against the teams with equal or better players and that doesn't bode well for Mullen.

This crap about "he knows our culture" is crazy stupid. There's a reason why he wasn't on the radar earlier post Meyer. He couldn't handle it and wanted out asap. He wasn't liked and he didn't like us. His wife has said as much. He had no offers for another coaching gig except for us and UT since he took over at State. Ask why. Opportunities have been there. I've worked in the athletic dept at UF and stayed close with my peeps there since leaving back in 2002. Mullen returning is a nightmare for them and was more or less forced on us by Strickland and the circumstances of having to save face.

As for the comment about Chip taking a West door mat and making them a mid tier team. Chip would have been competing and winning SEC titles. Something Mullen never has done. And giving Mullen credit for what mostly is owned by Meyer is like giving McElwain credit for what mostly is owned by Saban. We aren't getting our monies worth at 6MM/yr with Mullen. 4MM maybe, but I would rather have someone with a chance to beat UGA, FSU, Bama. Mullen isn't the guy.

LOL!! You say your a Gator fan and worked in the athletic department. You don't even know the current UFs ADs name. It is Stricklin not Strickland. Yeah makes a lot of sense. Explain that to me. You know everything about UF athletics but don't know the name of the AD.

Last edited:
...because if we don’t get pissed off on message boards, Mullen definitely won’t want to improve Florida’s future recruiting classes...
Hilarious! It's a good thing that Mullen is listening and reading all the UF message boards or he may not know what to do!

Reactions: sadgator
Hilarious! It's a good thing that Mullen is listening and reading all the UF message boards or he may not know what to do!

Well he wont be here in a few years if he doesn't do something about the recruiting but you had these same type of remarks about the actual coaching when the last couple of coaches were here so this is par for the course with you. We will see if you attacking the people complaining again actually turns out to be right this time. If I remember right you were really late to the party compared to most on the last 2. But keep pumping sunshine things are going alright when we are heading for 9th or 10th in SEC recruiting.

I was against Mullen before he was hired big time due to his pathetic record against good teams and his joke single winning SEC season in 9 years but I never thought his recruiting would be this poor. This guy has us headed for a class that will be around 21st or so most likely. I was holding out a little hope until this crap showed itself and had never looked at how his recruiting started off in MSU where he did the same pattern apparently. I could live with a lackluster 1st season if the recruiting was decent but now we might get the worst of both and the crappy recruiting affects the future

Well he wont be here in a few years if he doesn't do something about the recruiting but you had these same type of remarks about the actual coaching when the last couple of coaches were here so this is par for the course with you. We will see if you attacking the people complaining again actually turns out to be right this time. If I remember right you were really late to the party compared to most on the last 2. But keep pumping sunshine things are going alright when we are heading for 9th or 10th in SEC recruiting.
Whose pumping sunshine? Nobody’s doing that. Some people are being reasonable and at least waiting until he coaches a few games first. You sound like a darn idiot you are so over the top and illogical. Not to mention I think you pretty much say the same thing every single time you post. You have become a broken record.

Look I get it. You're naturally a pessimistic person. You tend to focus on the negatives more than the positives. I’m going to assume you do that for a lot of things in your life. Sounds stressful but whatever. Yes the 2019 recruiting class needs to improve but what about all the positives that are going on within the program right now as well. I just tend to look at the big picture rather then focus on only the negative things and I’m certainly going to give the coaches a chance and at least let them coach a few games.

Look I’ll be honest I don’t even think you’re a Gator fan. Every single thread you have started in the last few weeks has been that of a negative connotation. You can’t wait to post things about the 2019 recruiting class. You couldn’t wait to post a mugshot of Justin Watkins. You couldn’t wait to post about how somebody predicted UF to be 8th or 9th in the SEC. in the meantime there is lots of articles about lots of positive things about UF and Mullen. If I or anybody else posted those you would label us a “sunshine pumper” though right??

Last edited:
sadgator would gladly volunteer to be a sunshine pumper if it will help matters...

168710.gif

In all seriousness, you’ve got to win to be at the top of the heap in recruiting. We literally are coming off a decade of Mac and Mus futility, and our program is no longer perceived as a winner.

You’ve just got to give Mullen a chance to show what he can do before you start jumping his sh!t about recruiting.

In all seriousness, you’ve got to win to be at the top of the heap in recruiting. We literally are coming off a decade of Mac and Mus futility, and our program is no longer perceived as a winner.

You’ve just got to give Mullen a chance to show what he can do before you start jumping his sh!t about recruiting.

No you don't. In fact we are about the only team to find crappy recruiting coaches at a big southern football school lately. Heck Texas and A&M and others have had more or as much futility as us lately. We are the exception not the rule when it comes to this crappy new coach recruiting so far.

I see its Aug 1st. If recent history holds with SEC teams and we aren't an exception here it looks like we can forget about having a decent class in the top 10 nationally but maybe Mac will prove all the negative people wrong and show that is made to be broken but I highly doubt it.

@Gator Fever read this again. S-l-o-w-l-y.

I have shown you all kinds of reasons with facts how that is BS and its only the coaching staff that can cause a sh*tty recruiting class at these big southern football schools. Mac and Mullen are about the only exceptions to this in recent years at these schools in the South. We somehow managed to find a 2nd crappy recruiting staff while its not happening at those other places.

Here are some quick examples:

Texas: since 2010 - 4 losing seasons, best season 9-4, 2nd best season 8-5 and the new coach had a # 4 2nd recruiting class.

Texas A&M since 2010 - best season 11-2, 2nd best season 9-4, 4 seasons of 8-5 or worse and the new coach is currently top 5 in recruiting.

FSU prior to Fisher - mediocre for several years but 2nd recruiting class was #2.

Georgia was stuck in also ran status for several years before Smart - #3 2nd recruiting class.

UF since 2010 - 2 losing seasons, best season 11-2, 2nd best season 10-4, and the new coach is apparently headed to a mediocre 2nd class in the 20s possibly.

I have shown you all kinds of reasons with facts how that is BS and its only the coaching staff that can cause a sh*tty recruiting class at these big southern football schools. Mac and Mullen are about the only exceptions to this in recent years at these schools in the South. We somehow managed to find a 2nd crappy recruiting staff while its not happening at those other places.

Here are some quick examples:

Texas: since 2010 - 4 losing seasons, best season 9-4, 2nd best season 8-5 and the new coach had a # 4 2nd recruiting class.

Texas A&M since 2010 - best season 11-2, 2nd best season 9-4, 4 seasons of 8-5 or worse and the new coach is currently top 5 in recruiting.

FSU prior to Fisher - mediocre for several years but 2nd recruiting class was #2.

Georgia was stuck in also ran status for several years before Smart - #3 2nd recruiting class.

UF since 2010 - 2 losing seasons, best season 11-2, 2nd best season 10-4, and the new coach is apparently headed to a mediocre 2nd class in the 20s possibly.

It must be tough thinking you're the smartest guy in the room when you're nowhere near it.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I have shown you all kinds of reasons with facts how that is BS and its only the coaching staff that can cause a sh*tty recruiting class at these big southern football schools

Notice you can only point to one class in each case. Splashy hires drive recruiting. Funniest part you are bragging on A&M being Top 5, but their star average is barely ahead of Mullen's current class, which you are ready to fire 4 coaches over LOL

Show us the teams that STAYED at the top of the recruiting rankings WITHOUT winning.

You can't do it. Because winning helps recruiting.

Notice you can only point to one class in each case. Splashy hires drive recruiting. Funniest part you are bragging on A&M being Top 5, but their star average is barely ahead of Mullen's current class, which you are ready to fire 4 coaches over LOL

Show us the teams that STAYED at the top of the recruiting rankings WITHOUT winning.

What part of we are the exception not the norm in this situation don't you see? We are heading for a joke class around 21st or so now in the class where you are supposed to be kicking butt.

You are getting as delusional as Mullen's California dreaming recruiting strategy. Frickin Arkansas has more state of FL blue chippers than us right now. It will probably be a death match whether we can even pass frickin South Carolina in recruiting this class.

What part of we are the exception not the norm in this situation don't you see?

I see that you've completely made the argument that a program can have great recruiting and STILL lose.

Which makes your endless handwringing over recruiting rankings in July even sillier.

Your politics suck, but you are smart about football.

I see that you've completely made the argument that a program can have great recruiting and STILL lose.

Which makes your endless handwringing over recruiting rankings in July even sillier.

Yes but you literally have no chance in the SEC with crappy recruiting like Mullen is doing now. Without it you are pretty much doomed while with it the coaching staff and players have to screw things up.

Look at Mullen's results over 9 years in the SEC if you think his staff was good at player development. He would be the perfect example you aren't doing crap in the SEC without good recruiting if you buy into that.

2017 Big southern football coaching hires 2nd classes Rivals (1st full time period to recruit class) currently:
------------------------------

Jeremy Pruitt: 9 Rivals blue chippers (one 5 star)

Chad Morris: 7 Rivals blue chippers (no 5 star)
(Arkansas - really doesn't even qualify but listed for emphasis anyway)

Willie Taggart: 12 Rivals Blue chippers (one 5 star)

Jimbo Fisher: 12 Rivals Blue Chippers (one 5 star)

Dan Mullen: 4 Rivals blue chippers (no 5 star)

Yes but you literally have no chance in the SEC with crappy recruiting like Mullen is doing now.

You have no idea how Mullen is recruiting right now. All you know is what the public commitment list looks like.

It's August 1. When February comes around and Florida has a Top 30 class, then you can be critical. Getting upset now does nothing but signal to the rest of us that you really don't understand what you are getting upset about.

You have no idea how Mullen is recruiting right now. All you know is what the public commitment list looks like.

It's August 1. When February comes around and Florida has a Top 30 class, then you can be critical. Getting upset now does nothing but signal to the rest of us that you really don't understand what you are getting upset about.

I do have an idea - his joke California dreaming turned out to be a disaster and his recrruiting is terrible. Keep dreaming we buck that Aug. 1st SEC trend and have a good class - it isn't happening. We will be around 20th or so.

Its too bad we don't have just a mini recruiting season at the end of the season and not months of this stuff and then maybe Mullen could have held his ground some just doing quick switch recruiting pitches so most of the blue chippers didn't go somewhere else like they are doing this class.

I'd make a suggestion but Fever wouldn't listen.

Don't follow recruiting until mid October. Watch the practice reports. Watch the season progress. See how things are in that aspect. Find a fun hobby. If you already have one, focus more on it. Don't get on Rivals, 247, etc. And check the stars and commits. Following recruiting doesn't change the results on who committs. So take a break from it and quit posting the same thing 6,664 times.

We get it.
Our class is headed for #21
You don't like Felipe Franks
You think anyone can win at MSU
You hated the Mullen hire.

Switching the words around doesn't mean you are not repeating yourself. Posting it on different threads doesn't mean you aren't repeating yourself.

As for HomoS

We see what's up now. You worked under Foley... although Foley was a great all around AD he had sucky football hires. You hate for the new guy to out smart your old boss. Ol Foley didn't like Dan but ol Foley picked some real winners in Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain.

I do have an idea - his joke California dreaming turned out to be a disaster and his recrruiting is terrible. Keep dreaming we buck that Aug. 1st SEC trend and have a good class - it isn't happening. We will be around 20th or so.

Its too bad we don't have just a mini recruiting season at the end of the season and not months of this stuff and then maybe Mullen could have held his ground some just doing quick switch recruiting pitches so most of the blue chippers didn't go somewhere else like they are doing this class.
For the 2020th time you mentioned we will be ranked 20th in recruiting. Broken record or stuck on repeat?

Reactions: PacoGator19
For the 2020th time you mentioned we will be ranked 20th in recruiting. Broken record or stuck on repeat?

Hopefully he sees enough broken records to make changes so we won't be in this same boat in the 2020 class with him fired shortly after that.

I live right down the road from Homosassa and work in Crystal River. His username fits because the majority of Citrus County has the IQ of a peanut.

Hopefully he sees enough broken records to make changes so we won't be in this same boat in the 2020 class with him fired shortly after that.

So you think it's smart to fire Mullen soon after the 2020 class is signed?

That would mean you're giving him 2 seasons, and it really doesn't matter how many wins he gets, you would be firing him over not signing enough 5 stars.

BTW I see some of you lamenting the fact that you had to 'settle' for Mullen and couldn't get Frost or Kelly. Keep in mind that McElwain won the East his first two years at UF, and he was fired after one bad year.

Now, you're saying if Mullen can't recruit better fast, you'd be ready to fire him after 2 seasons.

This stuff gets noticed when you have to hire new coaches. Like it or not, some good candidates never considered the UF job because they saw that you guys fired McElwain after 3 seasons and 2 trips to the SECCG. It makes them wonder how quick you would be to pull the plug on them.

Last edited:
Fever,

With all due respect, and not to pile on, but you do realize that the difference between a bad, mediocre, good, and great class is like a few kids one way or the other right?

How many years have we sat and watched team after team that looked like it had a subpar class pull it out on NSD?!?!? It is August man. It doesn’t matter what the commitment list says at this point...

You have no idea what any of these kids are gonna do.

Just win...they’ll come. They always do.

LOL!! You say your a Gator fan and worked in the athletic department. You don't even know the current UFs ADs name. It is Stricklin not Strickland. Yeah makes a lot of sense. Explain that to me. You know everything about UF athletics but don't know the name of the AD.
Sorry for the delay in my response, but been running around airports the past few days.
Bless your heart snowflake. I mistyped his name. I have no idea why I did. Maybe fatigue. Is this your litmus test to determine if someone knows UF athletics? You can see in the post I made with the link to the article that got TennesseeGator into tizzy, I spelled it right. Just an oversight. Do you have other scientific criteria you look for. Maybe grammar errors identify a poster as a Nazi or e before i identifies racists. Please share your theories Mr. Science.

As for TennesseeGator, yes I worked for Foley from until 2002. Say what you will but the man helped build UF and you can thank him for many of UF's championships plus keeping UF out of the NCAA dog house many times. I agree because i am also a fan that he fell asleep at the wheel at the end and probably should have retired long ago. But, don't discount nor forget what he did for UF. My thoughts on Mullen are based on what those in the AD think of him and my own personal experiences with him, not to mention what little he has accomplished and things he has failed to do in his career.

There are very few coaches worth $6MM/yr and Mullen isn't one of them. Asked yourself why no other power 5 team has pursued him in over the years. Plenty of opportunities during that time.

So you think it's smart to fire Mullen soon after the 2020 class is signed?

That would mean you're giving him 2 seasons, and it really doesn't matter how many wins he gets, you would be firing him over not signing enough 5 stars.

BTW I see some of you lamenting the fact that you had to 'settle' for Mullen and couldn't get Frost or Kelly. Keep in mind that McElwain won the East his first two years at UF, and he was fired after one bad year.

Now, you're saying if Mullen can't recruit better fast, you'd be ready to fire him after 2 seasons.

This stuff gets noticed when you have to hire new coaches. Like it or not, some good candidates never considered the UF job because they saw that you guys fired McElwain after 3 seasons and 2 trips to the SECCG. It makes them wonder how quick you would be to pull the plug on them.

He wont be fired after 2 seasons but his contract is set up to where it doesn't cost anymore to fire him after 3 seasons than it does after 4 seasons. If he keeps this recruiting up and doesn't produce good on the field he could possible have a run as short as Zook's.

I live right down the road from Homosassa and work in Crystal River. His username fits because the majority of Citrus County has the IQ of a peanut.
I agree with you about the IQ. I haven't lived there in years, but I am positive if you moved out of the area the average IQ would increase exponentially.

Sorry for the delay in my response, but been running around airports the past few days.
Bless your heart snowflake. I mistyped his name. I have no idea why I did. Maybe fatigue. Is this your litmus test to determine if someone knows UF athletics? You can see in the post I made with the link to the article that got TennesseeGator into tizzy, I spelled it right. Just an oversight. Do you have other scientific criteria you look for. Maybe grammar errors identify a poster as a Nazi or e before i identifies racists. Please share your theories Mr. Science.

As for TennesseeGator, yes I worked for Foley from until 2002. Say what you will but the man helped build UF and you can thank him for many of UF's championships plus keeping UF out of the NCAA dog house many times. I agree because i am also a fan that he fell asleep at the wheel at the end and probably should have retired long ago. But, don't discount nor forget what he did for UF. My thoughts on Mullen are based on what those in the AD think of him and my own personal experiences with him, not to mention what little he has accomplished and things he has failed to do in his career.

There are very few coaches worth $6MM/yr and Mullen isn't one of them. Asked yourself why no other power 5 team has pursued him in over the years. Plenty of opportunities during that time.

I have a hard time giving Foley much credit because I mostly just care about Football and he seemed to really screw us there for the most part after Spurrier left. I don't give him much of the credit for Meyer because Machen was forcing that choice regardless. Not really sure what I think of Stricklin yet but I would have took Norvell if it was my choice after the others fell through unless the so called baggage was really bad.

He wont be fired after 2 seasons but his contract is set up to where it doesn't cost anymore to fire him after 3 seasons than it does after 4 seasons. If he keeps this recruiting up and doesn't produce good on the field he could possible have a run as short as Zook's.

Mac won the East twice and got fired in his 3rd season. Mullen hasn't coached a down and you're already talking about how he needs to get better or he'll get fired.

This is why young coaches like Scott Frost won't look at UF. And I thought Bama fans had unrealistic expectations!

Mac won the East twice and got fired in his 3rd season. Mullen hasn't coached a down and you're already talking about how he needs to get better or he'll get fired.

This is why young coaches like Scott Frost won't look at UF. And I thought Bama fans had unrealistic expectations!

No its not. Just like your other arguments that doesn't hold up to reality. It does sound like Foley's e-mail response to a fan that was wanting Zook fired at the beginning of year 3 however

No its not. Just like your other arguments that doesn't hold up to reality. It does sound like Foley's e-mail response to a fan that was wanting Zook fired at the beginning of year 3 however

Do you listen to yourself?

We're 8 months into the Mullen era.

Not a single game coached yet.

Not 3 years of Zook.

I have a hard time giving Foley much credit because I mostly just care about Football and he seemed to really screw us there for the most part after Spurrier left. I don't give him much of the credit for Meyer because Machen was forcing that choice regardless. Not really sure what I think of Stricklin yet but I would have took Norvell if it was my choice after the others fell through unless the so called baggage was really bad.
I know Norvell personally and I would have cool with that choice but we have no idea what he could do at a SEC program. We have no idea if he could have won at a program like MSU. I'm sure Dan Mullen could win the division in the AAC at Memphis. Norvell has been great in the talent evaluation and talent development department but Norvell probably wouldn't have a high star recruiting commitment list at this moment if he was coaching UF. So we'd be at the same point right now.

Florida wanted him bad. Probably not as bad as you wanted Scott Frost, but when that Nebraska job came open, he was already packing his bags and had a ticket to Lincoln.

But Chip`Kelly, the man who won soooooo many games at Oregon with his NFL experience and his recruiting abilities would load up the Florida team with 5* recruits out the wazoo.

But he spurned Gainesville for LA. He managed to hang on to about six 4* recruits that had already committed and he added a couple more but filled out the class with eleven 3* and three 2* recruits in one of the Nations few places with the kind of Blue Chip recruits found in Florida, Georgia, & Texas.

This in LA, the place with year around sun, beaches with scantily clad females ( and no hurricanes), and the Night Life. Plus, Las Vegas is just a short car ride east.

This year's recruiting class so far?

Six 3*
One 2* ( and none of those 2* recruits were Kickers who always have low star ratings) He is having a terrible time recruiting

Did you dodge a bullet ?

Gator Fever, what do you think?
Any others?
Time will tell...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT