ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

-MDVOL

Bull Gator
Nov 1, 2013
Florida wanted him bad. Probably not as bad as you wanted Scott Frost, but when that Nebraska job came open, he was already packing his bags and had a ticket to Lincoln.

But Chip`Kelly, the man who won soooooo many games at Oregon with his NFL experience and his recruiting abilities would load up the Florida team with 5* recruits out the wazoo.

But he spurned Gainesville for LA. He managed to hang on to about six 4* recruits that had already committed and he added a couple more but filled out the class with eleven 3* and three 2* recruits in one of the Nations few places with the kind of Blue Chip recruits found in Florida, Georgia, & Texas.

This in LA, the place with year around sun, beaches with scantily clad females ( and no hurricanes), and the Night Life. Plus, Las Vegas is just a short car ride east.

This year's recruiting class so far?

Six 3*
One 2* ( and none of those 2* recruits were Kickers who always have low star ratings) He is having a terrible time recruiting

Did you dodge a bullet ?

Gator Fever, what do you think?
Any others?

Last edited:
I think you mean Chip Kelly. And he was never a good recruiter either. Still took a team to the NC game, which some posters here think is impossible.

We’d never hire a guy with 4 Super Bowl losses.
Chip, not Jim( My mind wandered off the reservation) was heading to Gainesville before the UCLA job opened up allowing him back in the P(uny) 10,12 or ever how many teams they have.

Just like Mullen was headed to Knoxville before the job in Gainesville opened up and Frost and Kelly were no longer available.

He was heading to Gainesville before the UCLA job opened up allowing him back in the P(uny) 10,12 or ever how many teams they have.

Just like Mullen was headed to Knoxville before the job in Gainesville opened up and Frost and Kelly were no longer available.

I'm not sure I'd talk to Florida fans about missed coaches, Currie had Mike Leach ready to sign on the dotted line and fulmer purposely effed that up so he could take the AD job and stick you with Coach Asparagus.

Brain Fart yet again. Hate when that happens.

Why do you post here so often? The preferred team here has nothing to do with the team you like, other than that we own them even when we suck. You’re not that good at whatever it is you’re trying to accomplish (troll, rabble rouse?), and nobody here seems to enjoy it that much.

If it’s because you’re sad and lonely, forget I mentioned anything and please carry on.

I'm not sure I'd talk to Florida fans about missed coaches, Currie had Mike Leach ready to sign on the dotted line and fulmer purposely effed that up so he could take the AD job and stick you with Coach Asparagus.

Fulmer wasn't doing squat when that happened. The Chancellor had told Currie to stop offering the job to everybody he could think of as he had already caused an uproar with his Gruden Groveling and his hiring of Schiao without any thought to his crappy record and how hated he was in the NFL by his players. UT was a dumpster fire of his and the previous A/D's making and the University was the laughingstock of the entire nation thanks to his incompetence.

Currie got on the University's jet and took off anyway and met with Leach. She ordered his ass back and told him that the deal with Leach was void( Leach decided that he didn't want any part of the Schitt Storm going on in Knoxville anyway.

As soon as Currie was back in Knoxville, she fired him.

In the aftermath, the Chancellor wound up fired as well. But that was a few months later.

You folks thinking Fulmer is some kind of Evil Mastermind is hilarious. The two men who have run and RUINED the UT Athletic Department for the last 25+ years are the current Governor of the State,Billionaire Oil man Bill Haslan and his sorry brother, the Owner of the Cleveland Browns. Billionaire Jimmy Haslan.
Currie( Kansas State) was their guy just like Hart ( Alabama) and Hamilton( Clemson) the previous AD's were. NONE with any Tennessee ties other than Currie was assistant AD when Hamilton fired Fulmer and began the debacle that has lasted for over a decade now. .

The bloody fight that occurred happened when the OTHER Big Money boosters decided enough was enough and said HELL NO and demanded and got the ousting of a lot of Haslan's people at UT who were deaf to the females who eventually sued and got an out of court settlement in that Title IX lawsuit as well as all of the insanity in the athletic department.

It was STEVE SPURRIER who turned Alabama in to the NCAA. He said so. But Fulmer makes a lot better evil villain instead of an amiable dunce.

As for Stabbing pathetic Johnny Majors in the back, that's Equine Excrement.

Majors was as paranoid as Captain Queeg. He fired coaches all during his 16 years of mediocrity.( 70% of his SEC wins were against Vandy, Ky, and Ole Siss. The only other team he had a winning record against was LSU at 2-1-1) if they started getting any credit for wins or improved playing.

He came back from his heart attack early because of Fulmer. That much is true. Fulmer started that 1992 season as the temporary HC and pulled off upsets against 14th ranked U/Ga on the road, against Spurrier and #4 Florida ( one of the very few times in his career)
In Knoxville as well as a game against Louisiana State.

Doug Dickey was the UT A/D at that time. Majors came into his office in a rage, screaming about plots and about Fulmer being behind everything( I guess he caused Johnny's heart attack too)

He demanded a contract extension and a big raise. Dickey told him he would think about it and if Johnny was up to it, he would be the HC that week.

Johnny proceeded to lose the next 3 games to S/C, Arky and his usual choke to Alabama( Like Fulmer against Florida, Majors would screw the pooch against Bama, year in, year out. Maybe that's why all the Bama fans loved Johnny and hated Fulmer's guts?)

Majors went back to Dickey in another rage claiming Fulmer and the other coaches were losing games on purpose to oust him. Dickey had enough and told Majors that his contract would not be renewed after the end of the season.

That was IT.

BUT EVIL PHIL FULMER and his henchmen always plays better than a couple of Florida guys being at the center of the "Big plots", don't it?

Why do you post here so often? The preferred team here has nothing to do with the team you like, other than that we own them even when we suck. You’re not that good at whatever it is you’re trying to accomplish (troll, rabble rouse?), and nobody here seems to enjoy it that much.

If it’s because you’re sad and lonely, forget I mentioned anything and please carry on.

Mostly to annoy Instantgoober. But also there hasn't been any football for several months and there isn't any football for a couple more days.
When that starts, my attention will be devoted elsewhere.

As for my posting,

I treat everyone else here civilly but very few of you have any civility in you. There are exceptions, Fever being one of them

Doesn't bother me but I find it amusing that the Dawgs on their board are mostly cordial and willing to discuss things like recruiting, other teams, coaches, etc without being miserable assholes like the majority here are.

Speaking of miserable fans how great is it when UT fans sling mud about others when months ago they were accusing a man of conspiring to cover up pedophilia in temper tantrum like fashion in order to get their way?

Reactions: ukalum1988
Why the f*ck do you care? And comparing a UCLA program who is second fiddle in their own city, has almost no football tradition whatsoever, and has had multiple losing seasons in their recent and past history to UF makes lots of sense.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Fulmer wasn't doing squat when that happened. The Chancellor had told Currie to stop offering the job to everybody he could think of as he had already caused an uproar with his Gruden Groveling and his hiring of Schiao without any thought to his crappy record and how hated he was in the NFL by his players. UT was a dumpster fire of his and the previous A/D's making and the University was the laughingstock of the entire nation thanks to his incompetence.

Currie got on the University's jet and took off anyway and met with Leach. She ordered his ass back and told him that the deal with Leach was void( Leach decided that he didn't want any part of the Schitt Storm going on in Knoxville anyway.

As soon as Currie was back in Knoxville, she fired him.

In the aftermath, the Chancellor wound up fired as well. But that was a few months later.

You folks thinking Fulmer is some kind of Evil Mastermind is hilarious. The two men who have run and RUINED the UT Athletic Department for the last 25+ years are the current Governor of the State,Billionaire Oil man Bill Haslan and his sorry brother, the Owner of the Cleveland Browns. Billionaire Jimmy Haslan.
Currie( Kansas State) was their guy just like Hart ( Alabama) and Hamilton( Clemson) the previous AD's were. NONE with any Tennessee ties other than Currie was assistant AD when Hamilton fired Fulmer and began the debacle that has lasted for over a decade now. .

The bloody fight that occurred happened when the OTHER Big Money boosters decided enough was enough and said HELL NO and demanded and got the ousting of a lot of Haslan's people at UT who were deaf to the females who eventually sued and got an out of court settlement in that Title IX lawsuit as well as all of the insanity in the athletic department.

It was STEVE SPURRIER who turned Alabama in to the NCAA. He said so. But Fulmer makes a lot better evil villain instead of an amiable dunce.

As for Stabbing pathetic Johnny Majors in the back, that's Equine Excrement.

Majors was as paranoid as Captain Queeg. He fired coaches all during his 16 years of mediocrity.( 70% of his SEC wins were against Vandy, Ky, and Ole Siss. The only other team he had a winning record against was LSU at 2-1-1) if they started getting any credit for wins or improved playing.

He came back from his heart attack early because of Fulmer. That much is true. Fulmer started that 1992 season as the temporary HC and pulled off upsets against 14th ranked U/Ga on the road, against Spurrier and #4 Florida ( one of the very few times in his career)
In Knoxville as well as a game against Louisiana State.

Doug Dickey was the UT A/D at that time. Majors came into his office in a rage, screaming about plots and about Fulmer being behind everything( I guess he caused Johnny's heart attack too)

He demanded a contract extension and a big raise. Dickey told him he would think about it and if Johnny was up to it, he would be the HC that week.

Johnny proceeded to lose the next 3 games to S/C, Arky and his usual choke to Alabama( Like Fulmer against Florida, Majors would screw the pooch against Bama, year in, year out. Maybe that's why all the Bama fans loved Johnny and hated Fulmer's guts?)

Majors went back to Dickey in another rage claiming Fulmer and the other coaches were losing games on purpose to oust him. Dickey had enough and told Majors that his contract would not be renewed after the end of the season.

That was IT.

BUT EVIL PHIL FULMER and his henchmen always plays better than a couple of Florida guys being at the center of the "Big plots", don't it?
You literally could have just posted this...
jaws-tenn.gif

Fulmer wasn't doing squat when that happened.

Haha, seriously? Leach had told Currie he would take the job and fulmer got in the Chanecellor's ear and told her that he should be AD. Currie called her to tell her the good news about Leach taking the job and she told him to get back to Knoxville. As soon as he did, he was fired and fulmer was immediately put in his place. THEN fulmer took another 2 weeks to fill the HCing job that Currie had already filled, and he could only get Coach Asparagus.

I don't know how well Mike Leach would have done at Cheatersee, but I do know this: He would have done a damn sight better than a Coach Asparagus/fulmer tag team will LMAO!

I can't wait for that Sunday morning call after Cheatersee drops the Georiga and aubarn games back to back:

"Hey Jeremy, it's phil. Yeah it's early, but we need to talk. We gave your way a chance, but now we've got to get serious about the season. Here's the offense you're going to run against Bama, so you might want to get a notepad and write this down..."

Remember that Pruitt is the same guy who, according to Georgia fans, showed up at Richt's house Sunday morning after the Florida loss drunk and wanted to fight him LOL

Good ole phil, we get to watch him kill Cheatersee for a second time.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Good ole phil, we get to watch him kill Cheatersee for a second time.
This is eventually what is going to happen. It’s just a matter of when not if. With that being said I’m not see how much lower UT can actually go. 0-8 in the SEC, embarrassing head coach hiring process and haven’t won the East in over a decade. Can it get any worse than that?

Why the f*ck do you care? And comparing a UCLA program who is second fiddle in their own city, has almost no football tradition whatsoever, and has had multiple losing seasons in their recent and past history to UF makes lots of sense.

This and Kelly was never a great recruiter like stated above. I think those Oregon teams were in the high teens in recruiting usually. My guess would be someone like Kelly would get classes in the # 8 range usually at a place like UF.

This is eventually what is going to happen. It’s just a matter of when not if. With that being said I’m not see how much lower UT can actually go. 0-8 in the SEC, embarrassing head coach hiring process and haven’t won the East in over a decade. Can it get any worse than that?

Embarrassing HC hire?

Isn’t that to be determined?

This and Kelly was never a great recruiter like stated above. I think those Oregon teams were in the high teens in recruiting usually. My guess would be someone like Kelly would get classes in the # 8 range usually at a place like UF.

fulmer has wanted to be head coach again for years. He hired Pruitt because he thinks he can manipulate him and if he can't, he'll sabotage him and pitch to the Chancellor that he can do both jobs.

We have Orgeron at LSU, Pruitt and fulmer both trying to coach Cheatersee. Both will end up in spectacular trainwrecks, will be interesting to see who cracks first.

I honestly like ol MD.

I don't like the fact he cried for years for Insta to get banned from the Vol board...and the puny POS Brent Hubbs banned me in part of the process but claims he comes here to harass Insta. After all that crying...you still want to post with Insta.

Thing about Chip...and Mullen. Neither have been hit out of the ball park recruiters but both made lifelong mediocre teams into contenders or at least competitive. The jury will be out on both. We will see what both are made out of. Scott Frost as well.

Some guys are top notch recruiters. Some are great X's and O's type of guys. A few exception are great at both. And a small handful are great at both as well as being a top CEO type of coach.

I'm not going to debate on who is better, worse, etc between Frost, Kelly, Taggart, Mullen, and Pruitt. None of us know at this point so it's useless to argue.

And I'm definitely not going to lose sleep worrying about commitments like Gator Fever does. Nothing I can control. Can only hope for the best. I never judge a coach by his recruiting until his players are the ones taking snaps.

Last edited:
@-MDVOL

And dude Fulmer had more hands in the Bama case than anybody combined. Why else did he skip out on SEC Media days and why did the court want to subpeona Fulmer if it was Spurrier they wanted to talk to.

That mess with Logan Young...Roy Adams...all that garbage. Didn't have one thing to do with Spurs. Spurs I believe had to do with Travis Carroll or maybe the older Britt brother getting a truck. Fulmer was in on the Albert Means stuff.

@-MDVOL

And dude Fulmer had more hands in the Bama case than anybody combined. Why else did he skip out on SEC Media days and why did the court want to subpeona Fulmer if it was Spurrier they wanted to talk to.

That mess with Logan Young...Roy Adams...all that garbage. Didn't have one thing to do with Spurs. Spurs I believe had to do with Travis Carroll or maybe the older Britt brother getting a truck. Fulmer was in on the Albert Means stuff.

fulmer killed Cheatersee and at the same time created the mess that led directly to Bama getting Saban. Rarely has a coach destroyed his own program while setting up his biggest rival for a historic run.

I think we're over 4,000 days since UCheat beat Bama. We might hit 10,000 days before they do.

Only you...and maybe crying ass Fever think that. God damn season hasn't started yet and you have your panties in a wad about an OL coach. Jump in Lake Alice after soaking in chicken juice.
Son, no matter what side of the argument you are on in regards to current recruiting. No matter whether or not you think Mullen was a good hire. Anyone with at least a half a brain would acknowledge we looked like a joke act in the hiring process. If ONLY it had ONLY been the OL coach. But, it 'twas not. I thank gawd for UT for looking far worse in the process than us.

As far as the topic (Chip Kelly) of this thread goes. He would have been the better hire simply because he is a much better X and O's. As a HC, he has won conference championships and competed for NCs.

I have gotten past the mistakes we made in the hiring process. I am not happy with the current state of recruiting, but will see how the season and early signing period goes for us. However, you seem a wee bit testy and chewing on your own panties. You might want to take a deep breath and relax before you blow an artery or go on a rampage. Is there a reason for your hostility hon? Some of this might be sinking in, huh?

I love this concept of "sunshine pumpers" and that the rabble rousers are winning and other people scared....

This is going to be an interesting year. Btw.

It's still July.

But let's freak out.

Son, no matter what side of the argument you are on in regards to current recruiting. No matter whether or not you think Mullen was a good hire. Anyone with at least a half a brain would acknowledge we looked like a joke act in the hiring process. If ONLY it had ONLY been the OL coach. But, it 'twas not. I thank gawd for UT for looking far worse in the process than us.

As far as the topic (Chip Kelly) of this thread goes. He would have been the better hire simply because he is a much better X and O's. As a HC, he has won conference championships and competed for NCs.

I have gotten past the mistakes we made in the hiring process. I am not happy with the current state of recruiting, but will see how the season and early signing period goes for us. However, you seem a wee bit testy and chewing on your own panties. You might want to take a deep breath and relax before you blow an artery or go on a rampage. Is there a reason for your hostility hon? Some of this might be sinking in, huh?

This might be the single dumbest post sadgator has read in 16 or so years of being a member of this Board...

(and that includes posts made by insta and BucaNole).

This might be the single dumbest post sadgator has read in 16 or so years of being a member of this Board...

(and that includes posts made by insta and BucaNole).
My post is extremely accurate, so your comment might say more about you than me. I am beginning to see what they mean on the other gator boards about you boys being thin skinned and circle jerkers. Do you ever venture outside your safe zones? Is it because a few of us actually graduated from UF, are season ticket holders and boosters, therefore, want more for our beloved university and some of you are Walmart shoppers that picked up a shirt in the preseason?

My post is extremely accurate, so your comment might say more about you than me. I am beginning to see what they mean on the other gator boards about you boys being thin skinned and circle jerkers. Do you ever venture outside your safe zones? Is it because a few of us actually graduated from UF, are season ticket holders and boosters, therefore, want more for our beloved university and some of you are Walmart shoppers that picked up a shirt in the preseason?
Dude,

Not sure it should even be dignified with a response, but for weeks here you have been railing on a hiring process based entirely upon the fact that we didn’t hire two coaches we actually considered (conveniently ignoring the fact that neither wanted to come here), and then hired the best available coach for our program...

Like what fcking planet are you livin’ on?!?

Only you...and maybe crying ass Fever think that. God damn season hasn't started yet and you have your panties in a wad about an OL coach. Jump in Lake Alice after soaking in chicken juice.

Lol You can sit here and celebrate while we are 9th or 10th in recruiting in our own frickin conference then. Its a joke any way the sunshine pumpers want to spin it. And then you have the idiotic California dreaming on top of us getting killed in our own state.

You are the one that came on the scene with posts as if you had himroids over some UCF OL coach not being included in the hiring package.

What was so bad about our hiring process? Chip is a west coast guy and Frost is a Midwest guy who took a spot at a school he played for and graduated from. In the meantime we got a guy who knows the culture. A guy who was part of one of the best runs in UF history that didn't include Spurrier. A guy who actually took a SEC door mat to multiple bowl games including a BCS bowl. A guy who helped UF have great offense success and a functional QB... something we haven't seen since one year after he left.

Could Chip take a SEC West door mat and make them into a mid-tier team? Probably.

Could Mullen take a PAC 12 team and compete for championships when USC is on probation and coaching changes? Probably.

If you honestly think the past hiring process was a fiasco you shouldn't watch or follow college sports. Even if you are a recruiting guru.

Lol You can sit here and celebrate while we are 9th or 10th in recruiting in our own frickin conference then. Its a joke any way the sunshine pumpers want to spin it. And then you have the idiotic California dreaming on top of us getting killed in our own state.
I'm not pumping sunshine because I don't get anxiety attacks about commitments or rankings in July or a few days before summer practice starts. We haven't even taken one snap of ball under Mullen's watch and you have put a bounty on his head.

The act is getting old. Let the season get underway before determining the guys contract.

Dude,

Not sure it should even be dignified with a response, but for weeks here you have been railing on a hiring process based entirely upon the fact that we didn’t hire two coaches we actually considered (conveniently ignoring the fact that neither wanted to come here), and then hired the best available coach for our program...

His post full of opinions and predictions but it's "extremely accurate" and he is the only poster in the entire history of the rivals network to graduate from UF. He also doesn't shop at Walmart.. he gets the McElwain special at Belk.

I also wonder if his season tickets include the sky box near Ghost?

I'm not pumping sunshine because I don't get anxiety attacks about commitments or rankings in July or a few days before summer practice starts. We haven't even taken one snap of ball under Mullen's watch and you have put a bounty on his head.

The act is getting old. Let the season get underway before determining the guys contract.

Well it gets me worked up when our ceiIing has probably dropped to about an 18th ranked Rivals class now and our most likely ranking is probably around 21st or so. I am glad many others are worked up also so he might do something about it prior to the next class so maybe he can actually be here more than 3 or 4 years.

Dude,

This is where the problem lies: "and then hired the best available coach for our program...". You are half right. He was available and for a reason. The "best" is very debatable. I think the best word to describe this hire was "safe". We knew he would take it and that's what they were looking for because they couldn't take tripping up again. Dan knew this and made us pay. We can all agree he is not a $6MM per year coach/Top 10 payscale.

He took a MSU team that averaged 4-5 wins per year and they averaged 7 wins under him. Part of the reason is MSU dumbed down the schedule during that time. Now an argument could be made that they played in the West division and watering down the schedule made sense. But, at least be honest. Then this nonsense about he had MSU #1 for a month. Big whoop de doo. They played no one with their weak schedule, then ran into the meat of the West and what happened? I don't want a guy who just wins the games he should, I want to know what he can do against the teams with equal or better players and that doesn't bode well for Mullen.

This crap about "he knows our culture" is crazy stupid. There's a reason why he wasn't on the radar earlier post Meyer. He couldn't handle it and wanted out asap. He wasn't liked and he didn't like us. His wife has said as much. He had no offers for another coaching gig except for us and UT since he took over at State. Ask why. Opportunities have been there. I've worked in the athletic dept at UF and stayed close with my peeps there since leaving back in 2002. Mullen returning is a nightmare for them and was more or less forced on us by Strickland and the circumstances of having to save face.

As for the comment about Chip taking a West door mat and making them a mid tier team. Chip would have been competing and winning SEC titles. Something Mullen never has done. And giving Mullen credit for what mostly is owned by Meyer is like giving McElwain credit for what mostly is owned by Saban. We aren't getting our monies worth at 6MM/yr with Mullen. 4MM maybe, but I would rather have someone with a chance to beat UGA, FSU, Bama. Mullen isn't the guy.

Hope I am wrong, but I haven't been since the late 1980's. I am THAT good.

Well it gets me worked up when our ceiIing has probably dropped to about an 18th ranked Rivals class now and our most likely ranking is probably around 21st or so. I am glad many others are worked up also so he might do something about it prior to the next class so maybe he can actually be here more than 3 or 4 years.

You just live in a miserable world.

I truly can't imagine, as rabid of a fan as I am, as angry and emotional as I get, being this ridiculous about recruiting in July before the new coach has coached a single down.

That's lunacy.

I don't know how you don't understand that.

You sit there and scream SUNSHINE PUMPERS at the top of your lungs, when no one is doing that, at all.

We're literally asking you to chill out because NOTHING has happened yet.

Nothing.

But to you, everything is absolutes.

Read your own posts. Their so over the top it hurts.

You just live in a miserable world.

I truly can't imagine, as rabid of a fan as I am, as angry and emotional as I get, being this ridiculous about recruiting in July before the new coach has coached a single down.

That's lunacy.

I don't know how you don't understand that.

You sit there and scream SUNSHINE PUMPERS at the top of your lungs, when no one is doing that, at all.

We're literally asking you to chill out because NOTHING has happened yet.

Nothing.

But to you, everything is absolutes.

Read your own posts. Their so over the top it hurts.
Ditto

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT