ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

That’s a product of recruiting, not coaching. LSU got some of the best athletes in the country yearly and did nothing with them. For example, most people are surprised to know they have more players in the NFL than Alabama yet what do they have to show for it? How many division titles? Conference titles? National titles? Miles is and has been a joke of a game day coach. Oklahoma St. got better after he left and once LSU fires Orgeron they will too.
Bingo. Les Miles isn’t very good.

You didn't mention Mullen. I mentioned him because he was part of an earlier debate. I know he would have to beat Saban to win the SEC more times than not, but without Alabama as a regular opponent the path would be a little clearer to the CG. Guess who has never beaten Saban? The $6MM dollar man who averaged 7 wins per season. Miles was 5-7 vs. Saban.
Les Miles is not a very good coach. Mike Gundy has done much better at Okie State than even Miles did. Miles had the entire state of Louisiana at his fingertips and the guy could never put a decent offense on the field.

Les Miles is not a very good coach. Mike Gundy has done much better at Okie State than even Miles did. Miles had the entire state of Louisiana at his fingertips and the guy could never put a decent offense on the field.

And yet he had a better run at LSU then all but a couple guys in their history. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has the best winning percentage in their history. Odd that he could never put an offense on the field, because he had good offenses at OSU.

And yet he had a better run at LSU then all but a couple guys in their history. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has the best winning percentage in their history. Odd that he could never put an offense on the field, because he had good offenses at OSU.

LSU was a season removed from a National Championship when Less got there, they were a borderline Top 25 program when he got fired.

That says it all.

How cute!! Sweetie you aren't getting under my skin in these threads. How could you? Now there was that time in the parking lot at the Maghony in Hattiesburg you really got under the skin. Damn, you were a champ!!! You are amusing. Can't add. Can't spell. Changes POV when she loses the battle. And really has a bad taste in your mouth about secretaries and telephones. I feel responsible for both the bad taste in your mouth (Maghony) and not calling when I said I would. Was Les a little hard on you too?

You are rapidly approaching FSUnumbers level of annoyance. Not sure whether to block you or give you kudos.

Well you implied that Less being 64 meant he was either too old to coach, or too old to want to coach anymore.

Spurrier is 9 years older and just agreed to coach in 2019. Saban is 66 and probably has 10 more years of coaching.

Less isn't coaching cause no one wants him to coach. You see, the way most buyouts work with coaches is they get a set buyout amount, and then if they get another job, the pay they get is deducted from the buyout amount they are owed.
I haven't talk to Les, have you? He may not want to go back to the game and just kick back with his cool $9MM. Sure he could make more actually coaching, maybe Les doesn't want to put up with the stress, demands and a-hole fans like yourself who have never coaches a single down. Maybe at 64 Les's health isn't as good as Spurrier at 73. HBC had no collegiate offers after leaving USC. Bob Stoops willingly stepped out of the game in his mid 50's. But, I assure you, if Les, Steve or Bob came out today and said they wanted to get back into the college coaching game, each one of them would have a long list of coaching offers. Even if each of them got 2 offers, they would triple the total number of Mullen's offers over the past 8 years.

Everyone knows the story of the HBC coming down to talk about the open position at UF post-Zook. He wasn't interviewing or applying for any position, he wanted to be offered the position. Maybe had we asked Les, Bob or Steve, they may have entertained it and we would be in a better position than we are. Nine years as a HC, no NC/SEC/West championships, no other job offers outside UT and averages 7 wins per season (7.667 to be exact LMAO!), horrible record in the SEC and against Top 25 teams and we pay him $6MM per year to come.

I haven't talk to Les, have you? He may not want to go back to the game and just kick back with his cool $9MM. Sure he could make more actually coaching, maybe Les doesn't want to put up with the stress, demands and a-hole fans like yourself who have never coaches a single down.

Then why did you list him as one of the Top 10 candidates that Florida should have considered before Mullen?

Then why did you list him as one of the Top 10 candidates that Florida should have considered before Mullen?
Do I really need to explain it to you. Of course I do my little waterhead.
He's a better candidate than Mullen. The search committee reaches out to him to see if he is interested. If he is so begins the process. If he isn't they move on down the line.

Mike Gundy has done much better at Okie State than even Miles did.

Mike Gundy is another one I would add to the list of better candidates than Mullen. See, given a little time those 10+ candidates better than Mullen might become those 20+ candidates better than Mullen. I jest, Mullen would make the Top 20.

All this talk about Les is hilarious. He would have been a great hire with his horrendous offenses! LOL

Mike Gundy is a better coach than Les Miles.

If he's a great hire then.....why is he unemployed?

Oh that's right.....he wants to coach, but he's 'too old'. Obvious Lee :cool:

Miles isn’t better than Gundy and Gundy isn’t better than Mullen but keep reaching. I do like Gundy however but he wouldn’t be a good cultural fit in the south IMO.

But sure let’s hire Les Miles. That would have fired everybody up. With all that talent LSU has and the guy put out just as bad if not worse offenses than Muschamp or McElwain.

UF hiring Miles would actually been about as bad of a fit or hire that you could make. A fan base starving for offense and hire a below average coach and a coach that doesn’t know what an offense even is. Yeah great fit that would have been.

Reactions: sadgator
If he's a great hire then.....why is he unemployed?

Oh that's right.....he wants to coach, but he's 'too old'. Obvious Lee :cool:
Or maybe he doesn't? Maybe he has been offered, but declined. Maybe he is waiting for right opportunity to pop up and throw his hat into the ring. He might have his eyes set on Alabama when Saban retires!!! LMAO!

Gerbilboy, so it is late October 2017 and Nick Saban walks off the field then announces he is done. He packs up his bag and leaves. You are the AD, you appoint an interim coach to finish out the season and begin your search. You put together your top 10 list of candidates just from the college ranks and they cannot be named Swinney, Meyer or Fisher. No particular order (unless you choose), no caveats, just your top 10. Who are they?

Or maybe he doesn't? Maybe he has been offered, but declined. Maybe he is waiting for right opportunity to pop up and throw his hat into the ring. He might have his eyes set on Alabama when Saban retires!!! LMAO!

That's your problem, you spend too much time guessing because you don't know. Less has made it known he wants to get back into coaching, we had three stud SEC openings in December and Less wasn't in the running for any of them.

Connect the dots, sparky LOL

That's your problem, you spend too much time guessing because you don't know. Less has made it known he wants to get back into coaching, we had three stud SEC openings in December and Less wasn't in the running for any of them.

Connect the dots, sparky LOL
I don't know. Nor do you. You keep asking and you don't know the answer, so I am just trying to help you out here as I often do. Les is collecting almost $10MM plus is an analyst for college football on TV. And he has been linked to openings in the Big12, Big10, as well as Houston. I really don't know or care why Les isn't coaching. It doesn't make Mullen a better hire.
I am actually more interested in why you have it out for Les. Did he pull your ponytail too hard on his 8 second ride?

Gerbilboy, so it is late October 2017 and Nick Saban walks off the field then announces he is done. He packs up his bag and leaves. You are the AD, you appoint an interim coach to finish out the season and begin your search. You put together your top 10 list of candidates just from the college ranks and they cannot be named Swinney, Meyer or Fisher. No particular order (unless you choose), no caveats, just your top 10. Who are they?

LMAO! Why would you think we couldn't talk to Dabo or Jimbo or anyone from the pros?

I really don't know or care why Les isn't coaching. It doesn't make Mullen a better hire?

Is that why you are digging your heels in on this? LOL Less being unemployed has literally nothing to do with Mullen.

Less is unemployed because the job market for 7-5 coaches that eat grass is soft right now.

LMAO! Why would you think we couldn't talk to Dabo or Jimbo or anyone from the pros?
When I provided my list, i stated they didn't include anyone from the pro ranks. That would have pushed Mullen even further down the list. In another thread a poster asked for a list that didn't include Saban, Swinney, Meyer or Fisher. You seem apprehensive. Surely you can come up with 10 names off the top of your head from the ranks of college HCs that you would consider the best candidates for Alabama. Remember what I said, it is all subjective. Maybe you are nervous because you graduated from Alabama and aren't use to making big decisions. Pretend you are the AD at Ohio State and you are looking replacements for Meyer.

Is that why you are digging your heels in on this? LOL Less being unemployed has literally nothing to do with Mullen.

Less is unemployed because the job market for 7-5 coaches that eat grass is soft right now.
Did you say 7-5? That is Mullen's life time W-L average as a head coach. I don't know about the eating grass part, but 9 years in Starkville probably have him pig f**k'n.

Again, you are learning. Les standing in the unemployment line has nothing to do with Mullen. Mullen's 7-5 average W-L has nothing to do with Les. OH WAIT! IT DOES!! Mullen beat Les once in 8 tries. If one is a bad coach, the other must be worse! LMFAO!!! This is why you don't get under my skin. You entertain me.

When I provided my list, i stated they didn't include anyone from the pro ranks. That would have pushed Mullen even further down the list. In another thread a poster asked for a list that didn't include Saban, Swinney, Meyer or Fisher. You seem apprehensive. Surely you can come up with 10 names off the top of your head from the ranks of college HCs that you would consider the best candidates for Alabama. Remember what I said, it is all subjective. Maybe you are nervous because you graduated from Alabama and aren't use to making big decisions. Pretend you are the AD at Ohio State and you are looking replacements for Meyer.

Or maybe you want me to give you a list so you can mock it and maybe hurt my feelings like I hurt yours? LMAO!

Again dude, you got grief over your list because you OFFERED it. Same reason why you get grief over claiming you are more knowledgeable than anyone here, because you OFFERED that you had worked at 4 programs.

Maybe you should think twice about shooting your mouth off if you can't stand being held accountable to the wild claims you make.

Did you say 7-5? That is Mullen's life time W-L average as a head coach. I don't know about the eating grass part, but 9 years in Starkville probably have him pig f**k'n.

Again, you are learning. Les standing in the unemployment line has nothing to do with Mullen..

Right, it has to do with him being a 7-5 coach who eats grass. Not a lot of programs lining up to hire those kinda coaches.

Although you thought Florida should have LMAO!

Or maybe you want me to give you a list so you can mock it and maybe hurt my feelings like I hurt yours? LMAO!

Again dude, you got grief over your list because you OFFERED it. Same reason why you get grief over claiming you are more knowledgeable than anyone here, because you OFFERED that you had worked at 4 programs.

Maybe you should think twice about shooting your mouth off if you can't stand being held accountable to the wild claims you make.
I've upset you again.
I don't get my feeling upset and I don't mind listening to someone who's opinion differs. It's all subjective, matter of opinion, preference, etc. You are too sensitive. I stated Mullen wouldn't be in the Top 10 and you asked for the list. Over and over and over. Like a toddler asking for a cookie, so I gave it to you. Now you are complaining like the toddler who says it's daddy's fault his belly hurts because daddy gave him the cookie. I did offer up where I worked to give an idea of where I am coming from. You seem offended. I am sorry mom and dad couldn't get you into a better school. Alabama is well thought of in Alabama. I think oozie is one of the most level headed posters here. I didn't and don't always agree with what he wrote/writes. I don't take offense to his different opinion or his opinions of my opinions. I find sadgator pretty funny and I find Insta kinda sad.:p There are some thin skinned peeps here, but we are all gators on Saturday. You just seem to be a little off. Did any of your childhood pets meet early demise? All I asked for what would your list be. Maybe there are some names I hadn't considered. I hate when you get this way.

Right, it has to do with him being a 7-5 coach who eats grass. Not a lot of programs lining up to hire those kinda coaches.

Although you thought Florida should have LMAO!
We did and are paying $6MM per year for a coach with 7-5 average. To make matters worse, Mullen lost to Les 7 out of 8 times. OY!!!

We did and are paying $6MM per year for a coach with 7-5 average. To make matters worse, Mullen lost to Les 7 out of 8 times. OY!!!

He should have. Less inherited the best program in the SEC, Mullen inherited the worst.

Yet in 2018, Mullen is one of the highest-paid coaches in the country, and Less is at home in the backyard eating grass.

You can’t be taken seriously anymore. You’re not really comparing the LSU program to the Miss St program are you? If you are than that speaks volumes. Please please tell me your not as that would be embarrassing.

You wouldn’t find one other person in the entire country to even remotely agree with you that those 2 programs are similar.

He should have. Less inherited the best program in the SEC, Mullen inherited the worst.

Yet in 2018, Mullen is one of the highest-paid coaches in the country, and Less is at home in the backyard eating grass.
That's the sham of it all. We could have had Miles for $4MM/yr and a bale of Louisiana hay, but instead gave a $1.5MM pay increase to 7-5 coach with a resume skinny on accomplishments. Then again, that participation ribbon coaches get for being most popular (#1) in the middle of the season for 4 weeks outweighs any crystal football or SEC trophy. At the end of the day, you seem focused on Miles and how personal it has become between Les and you is getting a little disconcerting. Whereas, my main contention is we paid $6MM for a coach with a rather unremarkable career, where we could either have gotten a better candidate shaking that $6MM in our pockets or an equivalent candidate to Mullen, or Mullen himself for that matter, at $1MM-2MM less.

You can’t be taken seriously anymore. You’re not really comparing the LSU program to the Miss St program are you? If you are than that speaks volumes. Please please tell me your not as that would be embarrassing.

You wouldn’t find one other person in the entire country to even remotely agree with you that those 2 programs are similar.
Paco.
A day late and a dollar short.
Bless your heart.

I should put that to music.

And you seem stuck up on $6M a year for a head coach that really isn’t that much money anymore. And that is what the market suggests he was going to get paid by somebody whether it was UF or somebody else. If UF didn’t hire him then UT was going to hire him for $6M.

People have complained for years we don’t spend money on our coaching staff. Now that we appear to have opened our wallets now you are complaining about that.

I’d be curious how many people on this board would actually prefer Les Miles over Dan Mullen. I would guess not very many.

And you seem stuck up on $6M a year for a head coach that really isn’t that much money anymore. And that is what the market suggests he was going to get paid by somebody whether it was UF or somebody else. If UF didn’t hire him then UT was going to hire him for $6M.

People have complained for years we don’t spend money on our coaching staff. Now that we appear to have opened our wallets now you are complaining about that.

I’d be curious how many people on this board would actually prefer Les Miles over Dan Mullen. I would guess not very many.

He doesn't want him either. He just put him out there cause he was pressed to back up his claim that there were 10 other candidates that were better than Mullen, so he just started rattling off names and it bit him.

Give us a realistic list of names of coaches that should have been contacted before Mullen. Chip Kelly I can see. The problem with Chip is that he is a West Coast guy who has never stayed at any job more than a few years. As soon as he got any decent job offer out West in either pro or college, he was gone. So Florida would have likely gotten 2 good seasons out of him, then they are starting over again.

Scott Frost is a complete gamble. For every Urban Meyer who has a big season at a nothing school and pans out, there's a Dennis Franchoine who ends up being a bust. History tells us it's a coin flip if Frost ends up being a successful coach in the Power 5, or a dud. Florida doesn't have to gamble and its fans shouldn't want them to.

Same thing with guys like Norvell and Feuentes. The resume just isn't there yet.

Mullen was the perfect choice. He has the Gator pedigree, he has a decade of experience in the SEC. Hell he took the worst program in the conference to #1 and the top of the first ever college football playoff rankings. Plus he's one of the best offensive coaches in the country and Gators love their offensive football.

He checks every box that a realistic Gator fan would want.

He doesn't want him either. He just put him out there cause he was pressed to back up his claim that there were 10 other candidates that were better than Mullen, so he just started rattling off names and it bit him.

Give us a realistic list of names of coaches that should have been contacted before Mullen. Chip Kelly I can see. The problem with Chip is that he is a West Coast guy who has never stayed at any job more than a few years. As soon as he got any decent job offer out West in either pro or college, he was gone. So Florida would have likely gotten 2 good seasons out of him, then they are starting over again.

Scott Frost is a complete gamble. For every Urban Meyer who has a big season at a nothing school and pans out, there's a Dennis Franchoine who ends up being a bust. History tells us it's a coin flip if Frost ends up being a successful coach in the Power 5, or a dud. Florida doesn't have to gamble and its fans shouldn't want them to.

Same thing with guys like Norvell and Feuentes. The resume just isn't there yet.

Mullen was the perfect choice. He has the Gator pedigree, he has a decade of experience in the SEC. Hell he took the worst program in the conference to #1 and the top of the first ever college football playoff rankings. Plus he's one of the best offensive coaches in the country and Gators love their offensive football.

He checks every box that a realistic Gator fan would want.
I felt pressure to give you 10, yet I gave you more than 10 off the top of my head. (Speaking of something biting someone: Your math skills. OUCH!). You asked for a Top 10. You received it. Now you want a "realistic" Top 10. I see you are still stuck in that roundabout with your blinker on, driving round and round and round...it's your modus operandi. What's next...the real, real Top 10?

And remember, that was just quick ones I could think of from the college ranks, but you brought up about coaches from the pro ranks. That would just push Mullen further down. BTW, has he shown you the trophy they awarded for #1 in October? Do they give one for each of the 4 weeks? Did he have to turn it in to them when November, or as I call it reality, rolled in for MSU?

I felt pressure to give you 10, yet I gave you more than 10 off the top of my head. (Speaking of something biting someone: Your math skills. OUCH!). You asked for a Top 10. You received it. Now you want a "realistic" Top 10. I see you are still stuck in that roundabout with your blinker on, driving round and round and round...it's your modus operandi. What's next...the real, real Top 10?

And remember, that was just quick ones I could think of from the college ranks, but you brought up about coaches from the pro ranks. That would just push Mullen further down. BTW, has he shown you the trophy they awarded for #1 in October? Do they give one for each of the 4 weeks? Did he have to turn it in to them when November, or as I call it reality, rolled in for MSU?

Yawn. You made an off-the-cuff comment that Mullen shouldn't have made the Top 10 list of candidates for the job in your ongoing attempt to piss on your new coach. Why, I still have no idea.

Your statement was ludicrous, so you were asked to defend it. You offered a list of candidates with far less accomplishments than Mullen has, and got called out on them.

This isn't that hard to understand. The only thing that's clear is that you hate Mullen.

That's some deep analysis there Paco. You must be exhausted.

I would say far more than wanted Dan Mullen before he was announced as our HC. This faux euphoria about Mullen is very similar to what many had Muschamp then McElwain. Some of that excitement even lasted until the 1st game of McElwain's last season. I understand the excitement of a new coaching era and believe me I understand the excitement of McElwain not standing on the sideline. I am excited for the season to start because I love college football and my gators, but I am just not excited about the hire. Apparently, that really bothers Gerbilboy aka Obvious Lee.

Yawn. You made an off-the-cuff comment that Mullen shouldn't have made the Top 10 list of candidates for the job in your ongoing attempt to piss on your new coach. Why, I still have no idea.

Your statement was ludicrous, so you were asked to defend it. You offered a list of candidates with far less accomplishments than Mullen has, and got called out on them.

This isn't that hard to understand. The only thing that's clear is that you hate Mullen.
Again, you asked for a list. Several times. You appeared on the verge of tears, so I gave you a quick list. I even gave you more than you asked for, but yet you still beg for more. I don't hate Dan Mullen. I don't think he is the right candidate for our program and I am not alone. I wished him much success at MSU. Pulled for him to beat the likes of Alabama and LSU, when he played them but it wasn't to be. If he was anywhere but here, UGA or FSU, I would want him to be successful, much unlike your extreme obsession and anger towards Les Miles. And apparently, division, conference, national championships, NFL draftees, etc. are considered "far less accomplishments" in your world. We both know why you don't want to share your Top 10 list of college coaches for Alabama if Saban had left last October.

Hey, have a great weekend. Get some sleep. Three weeks until kickoff!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT