ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

At LSU would be a good win.

As far as their assist numbers, I think that’s a little misleading because they drive the ball so much, which is what they do best. And on Blackshear, he should shoot less 3s but they said during the weekend game that he leads the SEC in FT attempts, so he’s going to work in the paint as well.

Very good 1st half, Gators up by 2. Glover hurt us with several turnovers and Blackshear is playing sick. He hit 2 early 3's, but had a couple of turnovers and missed a couple of easy baskets at the rim. LSU has very athletic big guys and that freshman Watford is a beast. Payne & Lewis have been great. Refs letting them play. We have 6 fouls, LSU 5. Should be an interesting 2nd half. LSU has played in a ton of real close games, winning most of them.

Reactions: ukalum1988
We can't get stops at the moment. Under 8 down 6 need to get it close to even at the under 4. I don't understand how LSU isn't tired. They only play like 7 guys.

Yikes. That slipped away in a matter of 1 minute. Long season ahead, Joe has us as a 9 seed right now. I still think that 11-7 in conference should get us in. But as has been mentioned, our back half of schedule much tougher.

They dominated us in the paint. They were more aggressive around the basket and we didn't do a good job of blocking out, giving up to many offensive rebounds and fouling too often close in. Nembhard and Blackshear are still under the weather and neither played at their best. And when Payne got his 4th foul, the tide really turned. LSU took big time advantage of Glover when he was on the floor. I can't really complain about this loss, though. Our guys played hard, had a good game plan and made LSU work. But tonight they were the better team.

Reactions: Gator Fever
This team is just what most of Mike White’s teams are. Terribly inconsistent. Just good enough to make the tourney and maybe win a game or two but will never be good enough to ever really win anything. We have our very own Mark Richt.

Reactions: ashenesey
This team is just what most of Mike White’s teams are. Terribly inconsistent. Just good enough to make the tourney and maybe win a game or two but will never be good enough to ever really win anything. We have our very own Mark Richt.
I don't think anyone would argue against this point. But most on here are good with our hoops team being a top 30-40 caliber program. Again, not a bad loss on the road, and I believe we get a shot at them at home later in the season.

Reactions: PacoGator19
And not only is Wade a cheat, but didn't Williams rape a 16 year old girl? Guy is building a hell of a program over there.

Just need to beat Baylor at home where I wonder if we will be favored or not. That win could make a 2 seed difference for the tourney.

Reactions: ashenesey
Not a bad loss at all but again just too inconsistent of a basketball team under Mike White.

Two players under the weather, 34-11 in fouls shots on the road. This team fought hard and never quit. I’ll take that effort every time. Man you guys are tough.
I noticed at the 8 min mark of second half they had made 11 more free throws. That is a big difference. Not saying the game was poorly officiated, as they were certainly more aggressive.

I noticed at the 8 min mark of second half they had made 11 more free throws. That is a big difference. Not saying the game was poorly officiated, as they were certainly more aggressive.
I agree the officiating was fair although the clock operator was quick on that last possession.

I thought the officiating was good. They called it closer in the 2nd half than in the first, but they pushed it in the paint and forced us to foul. We settled for more jump shots. They committed more fouls than us, but when we fouled it was in the act of shooting most of the time. I have no issue with the calls. They beat us inside and earned the win, IMO. Our guys fought hard, but came up short.

My view with the talent on this team is that anything short of a Sweet 16 would be a disappointment. Heck there isn't hardly any team in the country with much more talent than this one. It's why we were ranked so high prior to the season kicking off.

Reactions: bradleygator
Agree with fever that this team has plenty of talent. Nembhard, Locke and Johnson would start for 80 percent of the SEC, and Blackshear was all ACC and mvp of V Tech’s NCAA regional. Lewis is a first round pick, starting to look like a lottery pick and Payne Might be right there with him.

I think we will compete for the SEC regular season and certainly for the tourney champ. They played a little soft in the second half yesterday but were still right there against a good team on the road.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Name a coach that Florida could get with a demonstrated history of “consistency” that would satisfy you.

For starters, Mark Few. UF could lure him from Gonzaga if for no other reason but higher pay. Isn't he barely making half of what White is currently getting paid? Yet, hes got a ton of success.

I dont think it's gotten to the point of actively seeking a coach, but it's not hard to find coaches that have a history of success that could find an appeal in coaching at UF.

Last edited:
For starters, Mark Few. UF could lure him from Gonzaga if for no other reason but higher pay. Isn't he barely making half of what White is currently getting paid? Yet, hes got a ton of success.

I dont think it's gotten to the point of actively seeking a coach, but it's not hard to find coaches that have a history of success that could find an appeal in coaching at UF.
Lol...ok...you really think Mark Few is leaving Gonzaga for Florida? Oh, and when did he win his Championship? Doesn’t seem to be quite the caliber of coach that would make Paco satisfied.

Try again.

I wish we could pry Jay Wright away from Nova. Guy has done a great job there.
Jay Wright is 58 years old, has been at Villanova like 19 years, didn’t make to the elite 8 until like his 6th season, didn’t make it to the final four until like his 9th season, has only made it to the sweet sixteen 6 times in his entire tenure, and is generally regarded as one of the best, if not the best, current coach in the sport. A VERY reasonable suggestion of a potential replacement for Mike White.

Try again.

Reactions: 96-06-08GATOR
Jay Wright is 58 years old, has been at Villanova like 19 years, didn’t make to the elite 8 until like his 6th season, didn’t make it to the final four until like his 9th season, has only made it to the sweet sixteen 6 times in his entire tenure, and is generally regarded as one of the best, if not the best, current coach in the sport. A VERY reasonable suggestion of a potential replacement for Mike White.

Try again.
Let me rephrase, I wished we could have pried him away from Nova when Bill left 6 years ago.

Try again.
And this is all you need to comprehend.....knowing what we know now...would we still have hired Mike White?

Lol...ok...you really think Mark Few is leaving Gonzaga for Florida? Oh, and when did he win his Championship? Doesn’t seem to be quite the caliber of coach that would make Paco satisfied.

Try again.

I dont need to try again. You asked for a consistent coach, I gave you a consistent coach. You did not ask for a national championship winning coach....so dont try to flip the script and start projecting requirements just because you're coming out on the short end of your own request. Would you say Billy Donovan wasn't worth the risk because he didn't win a title before coming to UF?

Mark Few won his conference 18 out of 20 years. Hes had better success in the national tourney, with lesser talent, than White has with higher ranked talent. That's the facts whether you like it or not.

Again, I said if for no other reason than money being a reason....its worth a shot to make that offer. Few is making 1.6 million.....UF could offer 4 million(slightly more than White's contract) and with a 5 year contact. He could possibly make more in 5 years at UF than he could at 12 years at Gonzaga. And if you look at how tolerant UF has been with White, no doubt Few could work longer than 5 years.

If you dont think a significant pay increase cant entice a coach, even from a solid job,....than you haven't been paying attention to what happens in sports.

Last edited:
As much as many of us have complained about Coach White, he's not going anywhere anytime soon, IMO. He's under contract through the 2024-25 season at slightly over $3 million/year, plus incentives. If he leaves UF on his own, he'll owe UF $250,000 for each year left on his contract. If UF terminates him, the buyout is $1.75 million, reduced by any money he makes outside of UF after his termination. Our AD has made a long-term commitment to White and barring something dramatic or illegal he's our basketball coach. I will continue to praise, criticize and express opinions as I see appropriate; but I will also keep on pulling for Mike White and his players as long as I have my mental faculties, just like I will for all other Gator sports programs.

As much as many of us have complained about Coach White, he's not going anywhere anytime soon, IMO. He's under contract through the 2024-25 season at slightly over $3 million/year, plus incentives. If he leaves UF on his own, he'll owe UF $250,000 for each year left on his contract. If UF terminates him, the buyout is $1.75 million, reduced by any money he makes outside of UF after his termination. Our AD has made a long-term commitment to White and barring something dramatic or illegal he's our basketball coach. I will continue to praise, criticize and express opinions as I see appropriate; but I will also keep on pulling for Mike White and his players as long as I have my mental faculties, just like I will for all other Gator sports programs.
Good post Ocala. As I have mentioned, you can't fire a coach who wins 20 games per year unless it's Duke, KY etc......

Agree with fever that this team has plenty of talent. Nembhard, Locke and Johnson would start for 80 percent of the SEC, and Blackshear was all ACC and mvp of V Tech’s NCAA regional. Lewis is a first round pick, starting to look like a lottery pick and Payne Might be right there with him.

I think we will compete for the SEC regular season and certainly for the tourney champ. They played a little soft in the second half yesterday but were still right there against a good team on the road.
I agree with most of this but Payne has a lot of development ahead with his offensive skills before he is NBA ready. He’ll have to do more than cleaning up missed shots. He’s got a high ceiling though.

Reactions: ocalaman
I agree with most of this but Payne has a lot of development ahead with his offensive skills before he is NBA ready. He’ll have to do more than cleaning up missed shots. He’s got a high ceiling though.
Very true. One of the things that kept him from getting more playing time was how much he fouled when he was in the game. He played a clean, great game against Auburn and then got into foul trouble vs. LSU. Their bigs were bulkier and stronger. Lots of upside, though and I think he's going to be a great Gator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicktheslick
I know it was a tough loss at LSU but the guys look like they are getting comfortable with each other. They are taking better shots and they’re starting to fall. That was an amazing last three minutes.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I think we’ll be close to the team everyone expected the rest of the way. Ocala hit it on the head though when he said they struggle with Glover out there particularly defensively. A big guard is just going to eat him alive. Tough when you rely so much on your defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT