ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

Ummm, yeah, someone...our starting point guard...

but this game is a MUST win for seeding....lol...

insane.

Not insane - this is getting close to a must win. If we were to lose this game and @ LSU next we will be in trouble. We should be able to win without him heck we bragged about the Ole Miss win and they were missing multiple starters. Auburn isn't as good as that ranking - that is why Vegas has us favored.

If Nembhard can't play, or if his playing time is significantly diminished due to his being sick, our chances of winning are greatly diminished.

Despite the usual 'fevered' idiocy.... :cool:

Nembhard 6-5 193 So (Fr All SEC) 11.1 PPG and 5.9 Ast/Gm.
He
is shooting nearly 42% from the floor, 34% from 3, plus 80% FT's, and he has 95 assists to just 44 turnovers.
"We all better be ready to play without him."
-- Mike White o_O

While that pair of freshmen backup PG's in Ques Glover and Tre Mann have battled inconsistency in scoring an identical 5.4 points per game.
Glover is shooting 43.8% from the floor, 21.4% from the 3-point line, and making just 47.4% FT's
Mann's numbers show 36.4% overall, 21.9% from deep, 59.1% from the line.

So if Andrew doesn't play, or he tries to play sick, it shouldn't affect the game at all.... :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Finally - hopefully this can continue as we can still pull a 5 seed or so if we play well in the SEC. Higher if we can win the SEC.

Excellent, much-needed win by the Gators. Here are my observations:

Auburn is not nearly as good as last year and their record to this point was just a reflection of a pansy schedule. The 4 starters last year that played with Doughty were much better than the 4 with him this year, especially the guards. They play hard, especially on defense, and it took the Gators awhile to adjust to the overplay pressure.

Mike White made a great move inserting Payne into the starting lineup a couple of games ago and he was tremendous today. White, also, judiciously used Nemhard today, but had him on the floor at the most critical times. Andrew missed the last 2 practices due to flu-like symptoms and was physically not up to par today. But when he was on the floor, turnovers were limited and the offense moved much more smoothly. The majority of our turnovers came when he was not on the court, especially in the first half after he picked up 2 fouls and went to the bench, forcing, Glover, Mann & Locke to handle the ball. Our defense was smothering today and that set the tone for the offense. I still don't understand why Blackshear settles for so many lazy 3's, but he was a force on defense and on the boards. Great team win, as they played their best game of the year, IMO.

Reactions: Gator Fever
With Auburn missing so many shots, they couldn't set up their press. Great defensive performance. Lewis didn't see the floor that much. His ball handling skills must have kept him out of the line up today. I thought Glover did a good job with the pressure as well.

Actually,, Auburn's starting 5 from this year has only 1 starter off last year's team - Samir Doughtry.. Last year they started Bryce Brown, Jared Harper, Chuma Okeke, Samir Doughty & Anfernee McLemore. Malik Dunbar and Horace Spencer had the most minutes off the bench (and they're both gone from the team this year), followed by J'Von McCormick, then a substantial drop off to time on the floor for Austin Wiley & Daniel Purifoy.

This year's starting lineup is Doughtry, McCormick, Wiley, Purifoy and Isaac Okoro, with primary subs being McLemore, Jamal Johnson, Alan Flanigan and Devan Cambridge. So while they do have 5 experienced guys from last year's team only 1 of them was a starter.

Florida has 3 returning starters from last year's team, plus the supposed top grad transfer in the country and a 5-star freshman, with another 5 star freshman and a high 4 star freshman coming off the bench. As far as minutes played last year, here are our top players in order - Nembhard, KeVaughn Allen, Locke, Kevarius Hayes, K. Johnson, Jalen Hudson, Keith Stone, Deaundre Ballard, Dontay Bassett and Isaiah Stokes. This year it's Nembhard, Locke, Johnson, Blackshear, Lewis, Payne, Glover, Mann, Bassett & Jitobah.

So of Auburn's Top 10 players from last year, they have 1 starter and 4 subs returning and are playing 5 guys new to the team. Of Florida's Top 10 players from last year, we have 3 starters and 1 sub returning and are playing 6 guys new to the team, with 1 starter being the top grad transfer in the nation and the other being a 5 star freshman. I agree that Bruce Pearl is a really good coach. Don't respect him much as a person and wouldn't want him in Gainesville, but he can coach basketball. But the comparison between experience and talent are pretty even, with Florida having more talent, IMO.
Auburn brought back 2 starters from last years team, Daughtry and McL (he had 34 starts last year). Wiiey, Purifoy and McC all averaged double digit minutes. They start 4 very experienced seniors. From Auburn's top 10 players they have 2 returning starters and 3 guys that averaged double digit minutes.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/auburn/2019.html#all_totals

This is a really good win. Auburn is a good team with a several seniors. It seems like to me the key is our starts. If we get off to a good start it seems to carry throughout the game. Need that every game. Wonder why Lewis' minutes were so limited today? Let's see if they can handle some success and get after LSU the same way next week.

Beat #4 by 22, next up is for possession of SEC 1st place vs SEC undefeated LSU, then next Saturday vs #2 in the land Baylor.

Let's see what we're made of boys! We got these! Long season, all that matters is what you shape yourself into come March.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Auburn brought back 2 starters from last years team, Daughtry and McL (he had 34 starts last year). Wiiey, Purifoy and McC all averaged double digit minutes. They start 4 very experienced seniors. From Auburn's top 10 players they have 2 returning starters and 3 guys that averaged double digit minutes.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/auburn/2019.html#all_totals
McLemore doesn't start this year. He started last year, but not this year. This year's team has 4 different starters than last year's team. And of the 7 guys who played the most last year, only Daughtry & McLemore are back. Wiley & Purifoy were the #9 & 10 guys on last year's team in regards to minutes played, McCormick #8. Just because they have seniors doesn't mean they have superior talent or experience. Locke, Nembhard & K. Johnson played way more last year than all of Auburn's seniors except Daughtry, plus they're better players. Age doesn't equate to experience. Just being a senior in D1 basketball means very little, except they weren't good enough to go pro. My original post stands true. Florida is just as experienced as Auburn and has more talent. That showed clearly today.

McLemore doesn't start this year. He started last year, but not this year. This year's team has 4 different starters than last year's team. And of the 7 guys who played the most last year, only Daughtry & McLemore are back. Wiley & Purifoy were the #9 & 10 guys on last year's team in regards to minutes played, McCormick #8. Just because they have seniors doesn't mean they have superior talent or experience. Locke, Nembhard & K. Johnson played way more last year than all of Auburn's seniors except Daughtry, plus they're better players. Age doesn't equate to experience. Just being a senior in D1 basketball means very little, except they weren't good enough to go pro. My original post stands true. Florida is just as experienced as Auburn and has more talent. That showed clearly today.
But McL started last year and then got beat out by I'm assuming a better player. 34 starts on a final 4 team is in my humble opinion lots of experience. Yes, we brought back 3 starters and KB as a 4th starter. Being a senior does indeed matter as does having 3 other guys who averaged double digit minutes. I agree with your premise that we have just as much experience, but we also have way more inexperience. Would you not agree with that? I mean we do have 4 true freshman playing significant minutes.

But McL started last year and then got beat out by I'm assuming a better player. 34 starts on a final 4 team is in my humble opinion lots of experience. Yes, we brought back 3 starters and KB as a 4th starter. Being a senior does indeed matter as does having 3 other guys who averaged double digit minutes. I agree with your premise that we have just as much experience, but we also have way more inexperience. Would you not agree with that? I mean we do have 4 true freshman playing significant minutes.
Maybe we're nitpicking each other. But Auburn senior starter McCormick played 2 years at Lee College (TX).is only in his 2nd year on the team and averaged 12.1 minutes per game last year, averaging 4 ppg, very little SEC experience prior to this year. Senior starter Austin averaged 18 minutes a game as a freshman, didn't play as a sophomore and averaged 13 minutes a game, with 6.9 ppg and 4 rebounds as a junior. Been in the SEC 4 years and as a junior could do no better than 9th on the team in minutes played. Senior starter Purifoy started some as a redshirt freshman and played over 28 minutes per game; didn't play as a sophomore and was #10 on the team in minutes per game as a junior, averaging 12.3 minutes per game, scoring 3.7 ppg with 2 rebounds per game. So it's not like these 3 are really good players with a lot of SEC game experience. They're just older and the best they've got for now.

As for freshmen, Auburn's #2 guy in minutes played is a true freshman starter who beat out McLemore, and they have 3 true freshmen coming off the bench in their regular rotation, 2 averaging double digit minutes. They, also, have a redshirt sophomore transfer averaging 13.4 minutes per game in his first year of SEC play. The freshman for UF that has played the most is Scottie Lewis, with the 5th most minutes on the team. We have 4 true freshmen averaging double digit minutes, so I don't see a lot of difference in the level of inexperience between the two teams. Auburn's "experienced" guys are just older and haven't been good enough to get more playing time until this year, except for Doughtry & McLemore. Auburn has more older guys, but again, they are not really more experienced and they certainly aren't better than our guys, as was proven today. And our starters are a true freshman (which has alternated between Mann, Lewis & Payne), a big time grad transfer who was 2nd Team All ACC last year, and 3 sophomores who were significant players and started most of the season as true freshmen. And off the bench are 3 true freshmen and a junior, with another freshman getting some mop up duty.

Maybe we're nitpicking each other. But Auburn senior starter McCormick played 2 years at Lee College (TX).is only in his 2nd year on the team and averaged 12.1 minutes per game last year, averaging 4 ppg, very little SEC experience prior to this year. Senior starter Austin averaged 18 minutes a game as a freshman, didn't play as a sophomore and averaged 13 minutes a game, with 6.9 ppg and 4 rebounds as a junior. Been in the SEC 4 years and as a junior could do no better than 9th on the team in minutes played. Senior starter Purifoy started some as a redshirt freshman and played over 28 minutes per game; didn't play as a sophomore and was #10 on the team in minutes per game as a junior, averaging 12.3 minutes per game, scoring 3.7 ppg with 2 rebounds per game. So it's not like these 3 are really good players with a lot of SEC game experience. They're just older and the best they've got for now.

As for freshmen, Auburn's #2 guy in minutes played is a true freshman starter who beat out McLemore, and they have 3 true freshmen coming off the bench in their regular rotation, 2 averaging double digit minutes. They, also, have a redshirt sophomore transfer averaging 13.4 minutes per game in his first year of SEC play. The freshman for UF that has played the most is Scottie Lewis, with the 5th most minutes on the team. We have 4 true freshmen averaging double digit minutes, so I don't see a lot of difference in the level of inexperience between the two teams. Auburn's "experienced" guys are just older and haven't been good enough to get more playing time until this year, except for Doughtry & McLemore. Auburn has more older guys, but again, they are not really more experienced and they certainly aren't better than our guys, as was proven today. And our starters are a true freshman (which has alternated between Mann, Lewis & Payne), a big time grad transfer who was 2nd Team All ACC last year, and 3 sophomores who were significant players and started most of the season as true freshmen. And off the bench are 3 true freshmen and a junior, with another freshman getting some mop up duty.
Wonder why Lewis didn't see more minutes today? I thought he was starting to turn the corner. I hope White isn't jacking with this kids confidence. I really thought he messed up Hudson.

Auburn falling apart, the Salami Flop happening a bit early this season.

Disagree we need to score.in transition, stop pulling up shots and take it to basket like we did today. Our half court game isn't our strenth from what I saw today. Haven't seen many games yet.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Great game. Payne was awesome. Good to see the rookie get quality minutes and produce. Rim protector also.

I like Ques but he needs to stop gunning. Learn to pass the ball and shoot a limited shot count.

Blackshear shooting too many tres. Get inside big man and do what ya do. Outside shot is there to keep defense honest.

We got it done with defense...stopped turning it over so much in the 2nd half...but our second efforts on the offense were good we made shots too on offense and played like a team. Actually went to the basket with the ball and made plays...we played tough in the paint but like to see those shots go down the 1st time. IMO good coaching effort because we were a different team in the second half. We had some crappy calls but the refs seemed fair for both sides.

From what I've seen this was a much needed win and good win today. Good job men and for Coach White.

We are learning....

We still have quite a ways to go, but you can see some of the puzzle pieces fitting together...
I hope you're right...we looked good tonight...tighten up a few things in the first half and we beat them by 30. Great win though either way and beat a top 5 five team at home. #gators

I hope you're right...we looked good tonight...tighten up a few things in the first half and we beat them by 30. Great win though either way and beat a top 5 five team at home. #gators
There’s gonna be more bumps...LSU this week is gonna be very hard...and Baylor is like a super team...it won’t shock sadgator if we drop the next two...but keep watching...LONG way to go...

PF/C Omar Payne 6-10 223 Fr vs AU:

32 Min - 18 Pts, 11 Rbs, Blks 1, Ast 1, TO 1. PF 4
FG's 9/9 - 3's 0/0, FT's 1/1 = 100% shooting for the night. :eek:
His 1st 2X-2X at UF. (and keep on working extra on your FT's) ;)

After his freshman teammate unleashed a quintessential breakout performance in the biggest game of the season, Andrew Nembhard was asked if Omar Payne now will be getting more touches in the Florida offense.

"Omar is not really that guy you get the ball to," Nembhard said. "He's a guy where the ball just finds him."

"I've always played that way," Payne said when told of Nembhard's assessment. "I don't ever worry about getting the ball, so I think I'm gonna stick to that." :cool:

Now we just need those other 4 freshmen to break-out, especially Tre Mann. o_O

Team shooting for the game was 50%.
The offense and coaching sure look better when it goes in the basket. :D

PS
Locke and Mann need to shoot more 3's, and Blackshear needs to shoot way less, as I've been saying for a while now... :oops:
KJ season 3's - 15/50 = 30% -- FG's 69/158 43.7% -- FT's 98/118 82.4%
Last 3 Gms 3's = 3/13 23.1%

>>> Stay in the paint, where you make your shots and/or get fouled.

Last season's Final Four coach came in at 15-1 and #4 ranked,,, so what did he have to say?
"Florida played great defensively and their coach ran some really great stuff. We had a lot of trouble with their ball-screen offense," said Auburn coach Bruce Pearl, whose team was held 17 points below its previous season low of 64. "They broke us down off the bounce and were able to turn the corners."

Apparently Bruce Pearl thinks a lot more of Mike White as a B-Ball coach, than some clueless Gators do.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Coming in Saturday - #1 SEC Rebounding at 42.1 per game was AU.

Team RBs Saturday, UF 44 - 29 AU. :eek:

Oh BTW,,, Nembhard said that slowing down the half court offense had helped them with the offensive production. (50% shooting as a team) o_O

AU was much faster and they shot for 25 %... :cool:

Looking at LSU's schedule, it's been pretty weak and they have some bad losses. But they are playing really well of late, winning a bunch of nail biter games. Their pre-conference schedule was not very good with no real quality wins and losses to VCU, Utah State, East Tennessee State and Southern Cal. They are on a 6 game winning streak, 5-0 in the SEC with home wins against Arkansas by 2 and Miss. State by 1, road wins at Tennessee by 14, Texas A&M by 4 in OT and Ole Miss by 4. UF has played a much tougher schedule and has more talent, but it's always tough to win on the road in conference, especially when the opponent is on a roll. If Payne & Blackshear can stay out of foul trouble I like our chances.

For those that are constantly 'pining away' for BillyD.... o_O

* .610 — White's winning percentage in SEC play 5 games into his 5th season at Florida, based on a 47-30 record.(77) ----- For comparison, Billy Donovan's winning percentage in SEC play 5 games into his 5th season was .507, based on a 35-34 (69) record.
Mike has coached 8 more SEC games, had 12 more wins with 4 less losses.... :eek:

Plus keep in mind the difference in overall conference strength between way back then, and right now... :oops:
=====

"With grad-transfer Kerry Blackshear Jr. bouncing inside-out and freshman Omar Payne parked in the paint, the UF duo (with a combined 30 points and 26 rebounds in Saturday's win over #4 Auburn) provide the Gators with formidable low-post production the likes of which have not been seen around here in some time." :cool:

In Omar Payne, Mike finally has an offensive rebounder, with instant put-back talent, to work with. :eek:

This is what Mike has been missing the past 2+ seasons. If this keeps up,,, or even improves, then it's gonna be 'Katie bar the door' time. It's taken a couple months for the youngest team in the league to gel and get a feel for playing with one another, and for the talented rookie class to take a next (and collective) step.

Lewis had his break-out game vs Ala with 17 Pts, 10 Rbs.
Payne
just had his vs AU with 19 Pts, 11 Rbs.
Mann - Glover - Jitoboh are still due to have their break-out games. :cool:
==========

The below is what I've been pointing out from my Mike White bandwagon drivers seat for quite a while now...

"Feb. 14, 2017. That was the day UF center John Egbunu, a 6-11, 255-pound defensive force who had to be accounted for in ball-screen offense, suffered a season-ending knee injury for a team that eventually went to the Elite Eight. Over the next two and a half seasons, Kevarrius Hayes, an energetic and outstanding defensive player with limitations on offense, basically was the Gators' best low-post option in the half-court, as the likes of Gorjok Gak, Isaiah Stokes, Chase Johnson and Keith Stone took (limited) turns in the paint and (for various different reason) moved on." -- Chris Harry

Mike White still took that team to the Elite-8 WITHOUT Egbunu.
-----

After reading and re-thinking, the iG will shut up about KJ taking too many shots from the arc. Mike and Al know what they are doing, while I'm just sitting here in my unpaid armchair... :rolleyes: -- Why, you might ask?
"When KJ (30% on 3's) takes an opposing big out to the arc, with Payne and Johnson on the floor, the former is parked beneath the rim and the latter is crashing from the perimeter." -- That's why... ;)

Last edited:
Florida is shooting 33.3% from the 3-point line, but holding opponents to 30% from the arc. We're defending the 3-point line pretty well. Noah Locke leads UF at 41.4%, followed by Keyontae Johnson at 36.8%, Nembhard at 33.3%, Blackshear at 30%, Lewis at 26.7%, Mann at 24.2% and Glover at 23.3%. Locke has 99 attempts, as it should be, then Nembhard with 57, Blackshear with 50, Johnson with 38, Mann with 33, Lewis & Glover with 30 each. Blackshear needs to shoot less and the guards need to make more of theirs. Do that and our chances of winning goes up significantly.

The other stat that needs to improve is assist to turnover ratio. We are at or near the top in fewest turnovers with 209, slightly over 12 per game. But we are next to last in the SEC in assists with only 197, 11.6 per game. Nembhard has 100 assists and 48 turnovers, which is very good, but Locke is the only other players with more assists than turnovers at 12/9. Blackshear is 26/29, Johnson 23/30, Lewis 8/18, Mann 10/18, Glover 11/21 and Payne 5/13. We're in the middle of the pack in other stats except steals, where we are 11th.

Gators have moved up to 39th in the NET ranking and Auburn dropped to 20th with their 2 losses last week. As far as the SEC goes, LSU is 23rd, Kentucky 28th, Arkansas 32nd, Alabama 42nd, Miss. St. 57th, Tennessee 62nd, Georgia 73rd, Missouri 76th, South Carolina 99th, Ole Miss 113th, Vanderbilt 144th and Texas A&M 146th. This year the conference is highly competitive, but not strong on a national level when compared the Big 10, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and the Big East. Nobody knows how the rest of the season will play out, but it looks like maybe 5 SEC teams make the NCAA tournament, but maybe none higher that a 4th seed. If seedings were done today based on the NET, Auburn would be the SEC highest at a 5 seed

Last edited:
Tonight’s game is going to be brutally hard to win.

If we don’t, the critics will be flooding the Board with comments about “inconsistency.”

If we do, people’ll be like, well, LSU sucks.

A loss here isn't a killer but would make it hard to win the SEC regular season probably. LSU has been scraping by on last second shots in many of their wins. We could pull a win there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT