ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

The proof is in Mike White's 'Official Resume'... o_O

Currently -- 01-13 - 2020
Record at UF: 99-58 (5th season)
Overall Record: 200-98 (9th season)

Mike White has consistently reaffirmed the Gators’ place as a perennial NCAA Tournament threat and Southeastern Conference contender, posting a fourth straight 20-win season and third consecutive NCAA Tournament berth in 2018-19.

The Gators continued their trend of season-long improvement and peaking late in the season (progression with coaching), as an up-and-down 12-11 start (currently at 10-5) o_O gave way to a late surge to earn an SEC Tournament semifinal appearance and an NCAA Tournament first-round victory. Florida is one of only 10 teams in the nation that has earned at least one victory in each of the past three NCAA Tournaments. :cool:
=====

Where were the 'no offense' dweebs after those two 100+ point games?
Ans: Waiting for a loss so that they could again pile on with their unfounded bias. :rolleyes:

Some here think that they 'know' something about basketball.
Mike's been awarded Coach of the Year in 3 difference conferences.
What are YOUR qualifications to evaluate his coaching or his offense? :confused:

System and coaching are one half of the offense, player execution is the other half. -- Game to game consistency suffers from having 9 new to the roster, with 5 of them as true freshmen. As with Mike's past teams, they continue to improve across the season. o_O

Two things that no coach can control:
The game Officials calls or nocalls. :oops:
The other teams shooting percentage. :eek:
-----
When you're hot, you're hot,,,, :)
when you're not you lose.... :(

Aaaand almost none of that has anything to do with the real context of what's being talked about. Dude, you really need a TON more discerning before you post stuff like that. Its adding nothing to the general conversation, whether they support White or not.

You're literally going through the time and effort to find videos and stats that dont really matter in the context. This seems like a fruitless and pointless endeavor. I suspect it's because you dont know the context or the boundaries of a context, that your posting is largely ignored in many threads.

This will be my last time addressing your type of posting, because there has likely been others to do it in the past. Believe it or not, I'm actually trying to help you. You actually do have a good point somewhere in the middle, but your needless stats, videos, and callouts make it like a needle in a haystack. Which many people will not spend the time to find.

Last edited:
Well just-preachy, do us both a big favor and put me on IGNORE. o_O

BTW, you don't speak very well for yourself, and you can't speak at all for others posting or reading here. You impress me as a certified Dweeb with a much inflated opinion of your own worth in any discussion. :p

My likes received = 2,458
Your likes received = 9
So take your help and put it where your head is resting, in that warm dark place. :cool:

PS
I'm not trying to help you at all, that would require a professional helper which I'm not...

Last edited:
Well just-preachy, do us both a big favor and put me on IGNORE. o_O

Will do....but I went ahead and stopped reading the rest of your post because Ive seen it all before. Which I'm guessing is predictable fluff and refusal to accept any correction.

And even though I won't see it, I can predict what you might have thought of posting following this....something to do revolving whether or not, anyone receives correction here. The answer is yes, and I have admitted in the post of a possible alternative DC for the football team that I was not the best judge of that situation.

Pride is not always a good thing.

Peace out

As far as White, in my opinion, he'd have to miss the next two tournaments before a firing would be on the table. But I think whoever said that White was out of his depth at UF might be on to something. I think we'd all agree that UF is the second best program in the SEC. Here's a survey of assistant coaches in the SEC that ranks UF a pretty comfortable second behind Kentucky. And if you look at the criteria, we look a lot closer to Kentucky than to the No. 3 team (Arkansas).

Do we have the second best coach in the league? I think that would be a pretty tough argument to make.

Cal is in another league. Barnes is better. Pearl is better. Howland and Tom Crean have better resumes.

Reactions: ashenesey
As far as White, in my opinion, he'd have to miss the next two tournaments before a firing would be on the table. But I think whoever said that White was out of his depth at UF might be on to something. I think we'd all agree that UF is the second best program in the SEC. Here's a survey of assistant coaches in the SEC that ranks UF a pretty comfortable second behind Kentucky. And if you look at the criteria, we look a lot closer to Kentucky than to the No. 3 team (Arkansas).

Do we have the second best coach in the league? I think that would be a pretty tough argument to make.

Cal is in another league. Barnes is better. Pearl is better. Howland and Tom Crean have better resumes.
White will continue to win enough games to keep his job, but don't expect us to compete for any titles.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Imo, even 2 more years of quick exits from the tourney and his job is in jeopardy . Although I may seem harsh on the guy, I dont celebrate anyone losing their job. For his sake, I hope the team can produce a respectable showing(sweet sixteen)and build off of it for the following seasons.

Last edited:
Jimmy Dykes, who knows what he's talking about, was pretty complimentary of White. He said he expects us to be a top-4 team in the SEC, which would put us in the tournament. Good win tonight, even though Ole Miss is no good. 3-1 to start in the SEC is pretty solid. Anyone can lose a league game on the road.

Any win shouldn't be taken for granted. Nobody said UF couldn't win, in general, but rather we need consistency. That and Ole Miss may not even make the tournament as they are akin to a win over Vandy in football.

The next 3 games will most likely tell the story of our season...by the way I see Mizzou has 41 points with 1 minute left...in the game!!! They will score 50 fewer points tonight.

Reactions: Gator Fever
The next 3 games will most likely tell the story of our season...by the way I see Mizzou has 41 points with 1 minute left...in the game!!! They will score 50 fewer points tonight.

Yep next 2 very important. We should be alright if we win one of them.

Yep next 2 very important. We should be alright if we win one of them.
Don't forget that between Auburn & Baylor we have to play at LSU, then have Miss. St. at home. And by the way, Miss. St. beat Missouri 72-45 last night, dropping Mizzou to 9-7, 1-3 in the SEC. So don't anyone tell me how losing to them was not a horrible loss.

Last edited:
Don't forget that between Auburn & Baylor we have to play at LSU, then have Miss. St. at home. And by the way, Miss. St. beat Missouri 72-45 last night, dropping Mizzou to 9-7, 1-3 in the SEC. So don;t anyone tell me how losing to them was not a horrible loss.

Not sure about this team still as Ole Miss was missing 2 starters and isn't that good of a team even with those 2. Auburn is a big game being at home. I think that RPI predictor has us pulling the game out but I want to see it on the court.

What the AD thinks about White is important. o_O
What the clueless dweebs yap here is not important, :confused: except to themselves. :cool:

11-5 -- UF 71 - 55 MS

This marked the 100th win for Coach Mike White in his 4 1/2 seasons at Florida, making him the 5th coach in the program's 104-year history to get there. He needed 158 games to reach the century mark, making White the 2nd-fastest to triple digits behind only Billy Donovan, the program's winningest all-time coach, who needed 154. While in 2 of his 5 seasons Mike has been without a true center due to injuries. :oops:

"Not in it for that" White said of the milestone. "Pretty cool, though. I've had some really, really, really good players, I'm at a terrific place and hopefully we can wins some more."
(the person,'is even bigger than the coach,' in iG's oho) o_O

Fact is, Mike is still pretty much coaching a team without a true center.
C Gorjok Gak 6-11 254 rsJr - Austraila - he never recovered, left team mid-season.
C Jason Jitoboh 6-11 300 Fr - Nigeria - good quality eventually, but very raw now.
(factual reasons are not excuses unless you're a rival, a troll, or both) :cool:
=====

Next up, Sr loaded #4 undefeated 15-0 AU.
"We're going to need our confidence to be high to make shots," Nembhard said. "I think we're moving in the right direction." -- Mike won't be taking a single shot, so it's up to the players to get it done. If they don't, the FIRE WHITE HATERS WILL CELEBRATE. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: sadgator
UF is ranked #46 in the NET, which is the most important ranking indicator when it comes to NCAA tournament selection. Auburn is #5, Arkansas #24, Kentucky is #26, LSU #29, the only SEC teams ahead of Florida. The SEC is a middlin' to average basketball conference, though extremely competitive. Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Missouri & Mississippi State are between #54 & #73. The other 4 SEC teams have NET rankings over #100. Let's see how the next 4 games play out and then revisit our chances of making the Big Dance and other basketball-related topics.

So don;t anyone tell me how losing to them was not a horrible loss.

How long ya gonna dwell on it? Nembhard and White both acknowledged and admitted that it was a terrible loss.

As insta noted above, White also became the second fastest coach in UF history to reach 100 wins last night, so I guess we should just shit-can that accomplishment too since he sucks so bad...

How long ya gonna dwell on it? Nembhard and White both acknowledged and admitted that it was a terrible loss.

As insta noted above, White also became the second fastest coach in UF history to reach 100 wins last night, so I guess we should just shit-can that accomplishment too since he sucks so bad...
I like Mike White and want badly for him to succeed. I just think he's over his head and may never be able to get past winning 20 games, finishing in the upper middle of the SEC and exiting early in the NCAA tournament. To me and many others, that's not good enough. Like the AT&T commercials say, "Just OK is not OK! He's been fairly successful in his first 4 years at Florida, but like Thomas Goldkamp said in his article earlier this week - the most consistent thing about UF basketball under White is inconsistency. The University of Florida expects championships and statistics are for losers. Billy Donovan won the SEC title in his 4th, 5th and 6th seasons and was NCAA runner-up in his 4th year. Gator basketball was preseason #6 in the country this year and #2 in the SEC behind Kentucky. This team is underachieving more than any Gator basketball team I can remember, and I've been following since the mid-60's. If a coach at THE University of Florida isn't winning something by year 5, people start looking for a change. Why should men's basketball be any different? Maybe he can turn it around this year and I would be thrilled if that happens. But check back in 2 weeks and we'll know whether or not that's a realistic possibility. In the meantime, I continue to pull for all of our programs, including basketball. But I will also continue to praise where I believe it is due and criticize when I believe it is warranted.

Kinda hard to interpret bama crushing Auburn. Was the barn ranked highly because their schedule isn't very impressive, or is bama better than believed.

Perhaps somewhere in the middle. I know transitive property doesnt always work, but it will be interesting to see how bama plays mizzou.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to interpret bama crushing Auburn. Was the barn ranked highly because their schedule isn't very impressive, or is bama better than believed.

Perhaps somewhere in the middle, perhaps. I know transitive property doesnt always work, but it will be interesting to see how bama plays mizzou.
Yeah not sure how good Auburn is. They have played NOBODY!!

All I know is after 5 seasons we've had 1 good one. The program doesn't seem like it's in a direction for sustained success. Just making the Tourney out of half the teams in the country and getting beat isn't that great.

It's the equivalent of keeping Muschamp on board to me.

What the AD thinks about White is important. o_O
What the clueless dweebs yap here is not important, :confused: except to themselves. :cool:

11-5 -- UF 71 - 55 MS

This marked the 100th win for Coach Mike White in his 4 1/2 seasons at Florida, making him the 5th coach in the program's 104-year history to get there. He needed 158 games to reach the century mark, making White the 2nd-fastest to triple digits behind only Billy Donovan, the program's winningest all-time coach, who needed 154. While in 2 of his 5 seasons Mike has been without a true center due to injuries. :oops:

"Not in it for that" White said of the milestone. "Pretty cool, though. I've had some really, really, really good players, I'm at a terrific place and hopefully we can wins some more."
(the person,'is even bigger than the coach,' in iG's oho) o_O

Fact is, Mike is still pretty much coaching a team without a true center.
C Gorjok Gak 6-11 254 rsJr - Austraila - he never recovered, left team mid-season.
C Jason Jitoboh 6-11 300 Fr - Nigeria - good quality eventually, but very raw now.
(factual reasons are not excuses unless you're a rival, a troll, or both) :cool:
=====

Next up, Sr loaded #4 undefeated 15-0 AU.
"We're going to need our confidence to be high to make shots," Nembhard said. "I think we're moving in the right direction." -- Mike won't be taking a single shot, so it's up to the players to get it done. If they don't, the FIRE WHITE HATERS WILL CELEBRATE. :rolleyes:

o_O:confused::rolleyes:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-2017-football-season/BQVJgSprNliXbJkUzQzSXO/

Auburn’s good. They’ve got 4 seniors who play who have won a bunch of games in their career. And their coach is good, much as I hate to say it.

So if we beat them, it really won’t be that impressive and if we lose to them, it will be very disappointing, correct?
Yep!! In all seriousness it probably wasn’t good that they lost to Bama last night leading up to our game. It’s an SEC game. It will be good if we win. If we lose then I want to see how competitive we are, etc.

I like Mike White and want badly for him to succeed. I just think he's over his head and may never be able to get past winning 20 games, finishing in the upper middle of the SEC and exiting early in the NCAA tournament.

:eek: WTF? I really hate pointing out the OBVIOUS,,,, but.... :cool:

In his 2nd season after taking over a loser 16-17 team, he won 27 games on his way to an Elite-8 finish & SEC CoY Award. o_Oo_Oo_O

Note: That year, he had a functioning experienced center (Egbunu) to anchor the team, something he has not had since then. :oops:

All I know is after 5 seasons we've had 1 good one. The program doesn't seem like it's in a direction for sustained success. Just making the Tourney out of half the teams in the country and getting beat isn't that great.

It's the equivalent of keeping Muschamp on board to me.

In this particular case, you are as clueless :confused: as a couple of others here. :cool:

There are only 10 Teams (out of 353) that have gone to 3 consecutive NCAA's and won at least one game. UF with Mike White is one of them. o_O
>>>>> That puts Mike in the upper 3% in the freakin' nation... :eek:

And in two of those seasons (17 &18) he has done so without a healthy center.
2017-18 without Egbunu
2018-19 without Gak
2019-20 without Gak, never recovered and left the team mid-season.

Hopefully, by Dance time,the raw freshman center Jitoboh will have progressed enough to at least give us some productive minutes.

For the 3rd consecutive year, Coach White is dealing with not having an experienced true center.

C Gorgok Gak 6-11 254 - never recovered from his injuries, left the team at mid-season.
----- Gak was expected to carry the load at center this season while Jit progressed.
C Jason Jitoboh 5-11 300 - Some talent but raw, not quite ready to be a starter in the SEC.

PF Blackshear 6-10 241 1st year Grad-xfer.- excellent, but 1st year with team / offense.
PF Bassett 6-9 236 rsJr - excellent for backup / rotation, always a solid Gator.
PF/C Payne 6-10 223 tFr - High talent defensive player, but tFr raw.on offense and FT's

The plan was for Gak to be the starter with a learning / developing Jit in the rotation.
And Blackshear to be the starter with a learning / developing Payne in the rotation.
And with a rock solid Bassett as the experienced glue between them in the rotation.

Also, due to the shooting % being a cluster in the early games, (unlike at pre-season practices),
Mike has had to readjust his offense to fit the available roster at their current playing levels.

Starters: 1 Grad-xfer
3 Soph's - Nembhard, Johnson, Locke
1 Rotating true Freshman. - Mann, Lewis, Payne
With the last 2 Fr - Glover - Jitoboh also getting developmental playing time.

In iG's OHO, Mike is again doing a masterful job of adjusting and coaching.
11-5, 3-1 SEC as his #14 youngest team continues to learn, adjust, and develop.
==========

Mike White comments on the Ole Miss game:
“Paint touches were huge, as it was against South Carolina,” White said. “You get these teams that get out and really deny you and pressure you and really make you drive it and run you off the three point line. If you’re open I want you to shoot it, I don’t want our guys to over-think it. Typically in these type games, you’re probably going to have less three-point attempts. When you study Ole Miss’ numbers, that’s what they give up. They’re good at limiting three-point attempts and teams end up shooting more free throws versus them, relying on deep twos and free throws.

“We have to convert better at the foul line (just 61% in the game) like we have of late, this was hopefully an outlier for us. We’re getting better at our interior passing, we have to get better at our post passing, but I thought we did a little bit better job of cutting off of some of our post bounce pivots.”

Too bad that 3X CoY Mike -- 'don't know chit about B-Ball or coaching.' :rolleyes:

Though not a must win these are the type of games you must win at home to get a better seeding. Someone is out with the flu possibly but Vegas still has us favored by a couple of points I think.

Auburn is really good. Brought most of their team back from last years final 4 team. Pearl is a good coach. Auburn will make another deep run this year.
Actually,, Auburn's starting 5 from this year has only 1 starter off last year's team - Samir Doughtry.. Last year they started Bryce Brown, Jared Harper, Chuma Okeke, Samir Doughty & Anfernee McLemore. Malik Dunbar and Horace Spencer had the most minutes off the bench (and they're both gone from the team this year), followed by J'Von McCormick, then a substantial drop off to time on the floor for Austin Wiley & Daniel Purifoy.

This year's starting lineup is Doughtry, McCormick, Wiley, Purifoy and Isaac Okoro, with primary subs being McLemore, Jamal Johnson, Alan Flanigan and Devan Cambridge. So while they do have 5 experienced guys from last year's team only 1 of them was a starter.

Florida has 3 returning starters from last year's team, plus the supposed top grad transfer in the country and a 5-star freshman, with another 5 star freshman and a high 4 star freshman coming off the bench. As far as minutes played last year, here are our top players in order - Nembhard, KeVaughn Allen, Locke, Kevarius Hayes, K. Johnson, Jalen Hudson, Keith Stone, Deaundre Ballard, Dontay Bassett and Isaiah Stokes. This year it's Nembhard, Locke, Johnson, Blackshear, Lewis, Payne, Glover, Mann, Bassett & Jitobah.

So of Auburn's Top 10 players from last year, they have 1 starter and 4 subs returning and are playing 5 guys new to the team. Of Florida's Top 10 players from last year, we have 3 starters and 1 sub returning and are playing 6 guys new to the team, with 1 starter being the top grad transfer in the nation and the other being a 5 star freshman. I agree that Bruce Pearl is a really good coach. Don't respect him much as a person and wouldn't want him in Gainesville, but he can coach basketball. But the comparison between experience and talent are pretty even, with Florida having more talent, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT