ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

GatorNation79

Bull Gator
Sep 27, 2009
Sparks, NV
Watching some of the Mizzou game. First game I've seen this year. We look bad...in transition not sure why we're not attacking the basket...even when we have numbers.
...is is our team?

It's going to be an up and down season. We play with no enthusiasm at times. Need to get this under 10 at the half.

Mmmmm it’s a poorly coached basketball team and a coach that recruited a bunch of players that can’t shoot. You can’t run the type of offense he wants to run and not recruit any pure shooters. We sometimes get wide open looks but shoot bricks. There really isn’t a pure shooter on the entire team.

This is nothing new. This is why I didn't "enjoy the moment" when uf came back from losing 20+ to win at home to the worst sec team.

You cant necessarily blame youth for some things either.

I would like to reap praise on the team, but I won't do so when uf still lets games get to the point of trailing by 20+ points to average or bad teams.

Mizzou is not even a high powered offense...and they got 51 points in one half. They are shooting well, but that's no excuse to give up that much to them.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Mizzou keeps getting open looks from beyond the arc. They came in 13th in the sec in shooting percentage and have put up 51 points in a half against us. It's as if we decided to just let them shoot and take our chances since they've been so bad this year. Down 15 at the half on the road, seriously doubt there is any comeback tonight. You've got to win the games against the bottom feeders of the conference.

Mmmmm it’s a poorly coached basketball team and a coach that recruited a bunch of players that can’t shoot. You can’t run the type of offense he wants to run and not recruit any pure shooters. We sometimes get wide open looks but shoot bricks. There really isn’t a pure shooter on the entire team.
Forget offense, it looks like he's now forgotten how to coach defense too. We gave up 51 in a half.

Nah, we are 2-0 in the league. I suspect we will finish middle of the pack by seasons end.

Hope you're right...

Uf could have been 1-1 entering tonight, if not for bama choking. If uf loses tonight, they could have been 1-2.

Frankly, there's enough mediocre teams in the SEC to keep UF from being a bottom feeder. Silver lining, I guess.

I'm watching the Titans/Ravens and only catching bits and piece of the Gator game during commercials. Paltry crowd, but from what I've seen Missouri is playing with a lot of hustle and making their own momentum, while our guys are sleepwalking. I did see that Johnson got 2 early fouls and rode the bench most of the 1st half. That hurt. But to let a team as average as Missouri get 51 in the 1st half shows a total lack of preparation and concentration, plus an inability to make adjustments in game. Will be interesting to see if we come out with some fire the 2nd half.

Hope you're right...

Uf could have been 1-1 entering tonight, if not for bama choking. If uf loses tonight, they could have been 1-2.

Frankly, there's enough mediocre teams in the SEC to keep UF from being a bottom feeder. Silver lining, I guess.
Bama isn't horrible. They gave KY all they wanted in Lexington today

I'm watching the Titans/Ravens and only catching bits and piece of the Gator game during commercials. Paltry crowd, but from what I've seen Missouri is playing with a lot of hustle and making their own momentum, while our guys are sleepwalking. I did see that Johnson got 2 early fouls and rode the bench most of the 1st half. That hurt. But to let a team as average as Missouri get 51 in the 1st half shows a total lack of preparation and concentration, plus an inability to make adjustments in game. Will be interesting to see if we come out with some fire the 2nd half.
With Mike White he is going to win enough to keep his job, but he will never be good enough to win a championship of any kind. Caught in a tough spot as a Gator fan.

Bama isn't horrible. They gave KY all they wanted in Lexington today

Alabama is fortunate, as are a lot of teams, that there isn't many really good teams this year. That doesnt make them better than what they really are.

Bama playing a team, or few, tough doesn't change that....no more does Utah State playing UF tough change who they are. Simply put, they aren't good. If UK was a good as they used to be, they would have beaten bama by 25.

Last edited:
At this point, I will gladly take the moral victory if they can cut the lead to 10.

....lol that sounds pretty sad.

I don’t think White is the long term solution.... but I don’t know who you go out and get right now (or after this season)

It’s just the same thing every year...

here’s a team with E8/final 4 aspirations that will be a major bubble team in March.

frustrating

Reactions: gatordad3
Please. Missouri had a bizarrely good shooting night. Happens. It’s like folks have never seen the game of college basketball...

Let’s revisit this thread in March.
I agree it's a long season, but championship caliber teams don't lose by 24 points to a bad team. Hard to sugar coat this one.

I don’t think White is the long term solution.... but I don’t know who you go out and get right now (or after this season)

It’s just the same thing every year...

here’s a team with E8/final 4 aspirations that will be a major bubble team in March.

frustrating
Like I said above, you can't fire a coach that wins 20 games per season. But if anyone thinks he is ever going to bring us a title, they are dreaming.

Please. Missouri had a bizarrely good shooting night. Happens. It’s like folks have never seen the game of college basketball...

Let’s revisit this thread in March.

Are you watching the game? Uf would still have lost this game even if Mizzou was shooting normally.....they have been given more open looks than is excusable. A good reason WHY they are shooting so well is because of the lacking defense. C'mon, dude, you gotta call a spade a spade.

It really doesnt matter too much on how we view this game in March because no matter how good Mizzou turns out to be....the committee is going to count this as a bad loss.

Are you watching the game? Uf would still have lost this game even if Mizzou was shooting normally.....they have been given more open looks than is excusable. A good reason WHY they are shooting so well is because of the lacking defense. C'mon, dude, you gotta call a spade a spade.

It really doesnt matter too much on how we view this game in March because no matter how good Mizzou turns out to be....the committee is going to count this as a bad loss.
Let's not mention Mizzou was missing one of their best players. Mizzou came in averaging 66 per game and 58 in conference play. They have scored 90 against us.

Reactions: Justpeachy7
I have no doubt they will make it to the tourney....a 13 loss uf team made it last year, and got a relatively decent seed. Ultimately got smashed by Michigan in the second round.

Anybody want to bet whether Florida makes the tournament?
It will be close for sure. And the sad thing is it shouldn't be close. We should be talking about getting a high seed, not trying to figure out how to back into the tourney. We have the talent.

It will be close for sure. And the sad thing is it shouldn't be close. We should be talking about getting a high seed, not trying to figure out how to back into the tourney. We have the talent.

Exactly

I remember last year we were legitimatly concerned of not making the tourney. Lo and behold, we did. Frankly, making the tourney, as a power 5 team, isn't much of an accomplishment as some people make it out to be.

I dont want to base UF's basketball success on whether or not they make it to the tourney......

That's like basing the success of the football program simply because they are bowl eligible.

Exactly

I remember last year we were legitimatly concerned of not making the tourney. Lo and behold, we did. Frankly, making the tourney, as a power 5 team, isn't much of an accomplishment as some people make it out to be.

I dont want to base UF's basketball success on whether or not they make it to the tourney......

That's like basing the success of the football program simply because they are bowl eligible.
68 schools make the ncaa tourney, so you are spot on correct. That ain't some great accomplishment if you are at UF

When are Gator basketball fans satisfied with just making the NCAA tournament? That means we're in the Final 64. Should that be good enough? The last 2 years we've lost in the 2nd round. Unacceptable. This year's team was preseason #5 in the nation and tonight's loss was the worst so far this season. And with Auburn, LSU and Baylor 3 of or next 4 games, I don;t see things getting better. When you look at our remaining schedule, I'm not sure I see 10 wins there and that's what I think it will take to make the tournament. But you're right, let's all re-visit in March.

Reactions: Proud Gator
Honestly my response to that would be whoopty freakin doo!! We were preseason top 10. Sorry if just making the tournament isn’t that impressive to me. Has White already done that to our expectations as a basketball program?

When are Gator basketball fans satisfied with just making the NCAA tournament? That means we're in the Final 64. Should that be good enough? The last 2 years we've lost in the 2nd round. Unacceptable. This year's team was preseason #5 in the nation and tonight's loss was the worst so far this season. And with Auburn, LSU and Baylor 3 of or next 4 games, I don;t see things getting better. When you look at our remaining schedule, I'm not sure I see 10 wins there and that's what I think it will take to make the tournament. But you're right, let's all re-visit in March.
Yep. Agreed

Agreed

I mean, there's no way this complacency would happen for the UF football program in recent times. If it did occur, UF would have never gotten Meyer or Mullen.

I know UF will always be a football program first, but there needs to be a certain amount of expectation and desire for a basketball program that has won 2 National Championships and been to even more final fours. That "ceiling" is not just making the tournament....its getting back to the final four and possibly winning another NC.

It's hard to see that happening lately....especially after tonight.

Making the tourney isn’t good enough....
Especially with this roster and a top 7 pre-season ranking...
Winning 1 round every year isn’t good enough either...

Results-wise: UF is one of the top 5/6 programs in college basketball in the last 20 years

recent success/facilities etc

should be and do much better

Here's some food for thought. Even Butter tooth Mac won 2 east titles in his 3 seasons. White is in his 5th season and has won nothing yet.

This would be a great place in this thread for everyone to list their realistic expectations for this team and to see if either the expectation is unrealistic or whether the team can meet it...

to read the posts above, it would seem like people expect us to be a final four team or something...

c’mon. People forget, we are not a basketball school. We are a school with a good overall athletic program. sadgator thinks this team has a realistic shot to make a sweet sixteen...depending on the draw. A second round game loss would be acceptable...sweet sixteen would be meeting a lofty expectation.

Look at how many times Billy’s teams fell short of that. People have short memories....

This would be a great place in this thread for everyone to list their realistic expectations for this team and to see if either the expectation is unrealistic or whether the team can meet it...

to read the posts above, it would seem like people expect us to be a final four team or something...

c’mon. People forget, we are not a basketball school. We are a school with a good overall athletic program. sadgator thinks this team has a realistic shot to make a sweet sixteen...depending on the draw. A second round game loss would be acceptable...sweet sixteen would be meeting a lofty expectation.

Look at how many times Billy’s teams fell short of that. People have short memories....
Fair post. But in Billy's 4th season we were national runner ups. 19 seasons for Billy, 14 ncaa tourney appearances, 8 times sweet 16 or better, 7 elite eights, 4 final 4s, 1 runner up, 2 nattys. The biggest difference is before Billy arrived nobody believed you could win in hoops at Florida. We had I believe 6 total tourney appearances. Mike White took over an established program that had a track record of success. That part was already built. So in year 5 i think it's a fair expectation we make a deep tourney run. Sweet 16 should be expected. Anything short of that is a disappointing season.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I'm basing it on the year of the coach, and the talent. Neither of which excuses what happened tonight. At the very worst this should be a sweet sixteen team, but it really should be elite 8 or better. If not now, then when?

If this team continues to play this poorly, don't be surprised if they get bounced in the second round.....yet again....if not worse.

A second round loss is acceptable to you? Wow. Why is UF paying Mike White 3 million bucks each year if a 2nd round loss is acceptable and welcome in his 5th year?

We ALL know its football first. However, that doesn't mean that we cant expect to do great things with the efforts put towards doing better than compromising results, simply because it's not the main sport. UF didn't become a good athletic school, overall, without having loftier expectations beyond football. Foley may not have always made the right choices, but his desire for UF to succeed to national championships didn't give in to excuses for failures just because UF is a "football school".

Last edited:
We were pre-season top 10. I would think we should at least be somewhere in the top 25 and get to at least the sweet sixteen. That was my expectations based on the talent that we have and what national experts were even saying. I guess we will see come March.

ADVERTISEMENT