ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

That was the number 1 team in the country.

keep watching...let’s see where we end up relative to other teams and see how many other teams meet their “expectations.”

one team wins the tournament (which we will make)...

those who “expect” Florida to win it probably need to adjust their expectations...

That was the number 1 team in the country.

keep watching...let’s see where we end up relative to other teams and see how many other teams meet their “expectations.”

one team wins the tournament (which we will make)...

those who “expect” Florida to win it probably need to adjust their expectations...
Huh? Nobody expected us to win the national title but at the same time we were preseason top 10 and now here we are at 12-7 and fighting to make the tourney. As of today and right now the team has greatly underachieved. Not sure how anybody can say otherwise. By the way this is Mike White’s 5th year and IMO he’s only had 1 impressive year out of those 5.

12-7 is not good with this roster. Flip those rosters today and the result is probably worse for UF. Still think we can compete for regular season and tourney titles, but White needs to put a better plan together.

Look at UK. Talk to Cal about a young roster. Mike White doesn’t win that game in a million years.

Remember that...because you sure sound like that is your expectation...

we aren’t “fighting” to make anything...that was the number 1 team in the country...we are “going” to make the tournament...
My expectation is too not underachieve so badly and then to have a coach that in 5 years can put more than 1 good team together during those 5 years. The offense has never been good under White except for when he had Chiozza to save him. Just look at the difference between Mullen and White. One coach is developing players and the other is not. How many players can you really say have improved under White? Maybe Johnson and that is it. Look what happened to Jalen Hudson and Kevaughan Allen? None of our current freshmen really seem to be improving and 2 of them were 5* players.
White is getting roasted pretty good on social media outlets right now. My guess is he will be on the hot seat next year. I like the guy but he’s just not a very good coach. He needs lots of help and fast. He runs a JV style offense and I have been saying that for about 3 years now.
Again that’s great that your expectation is just to make the tournament. Like 70 teams make the tournament. Whoopty do. Is your definition of a good season just making the tournament? Merely making the tournament really isn’t an accomplishment like you seem to think it is. That isn’t the standard and pretty mediocre. Especially since this was a preseason top 10 team.

Reactions: ocalaman
I think we need 8 more wins to make the tournament. We have 12 games left. The next 6 games are all one we should win. The final 6-game stretch is tough - Arkansas, LSU & Kentucky at home; Kentucky,Tennessee & Georgia on the road. But I agree that just making the NCAA tournament is not enough, especially for a team with this much talent. We're not really competing for a conference title, let alone a national title. I guess winning a pre-season Charleston Classic championship is enough for some people, but at THE University of Florida I expect all our teams to win something at least once every 5 years. Here's Pat Dooley's take:
https://www.gatorsports.com/2020/01/dooley-soft-gators-no-match-for-top-ranked-bears/

12-7 is not good with this roster. Flip those rosters today and the result is probably worse for UF. Still think we can compete for regular season and tourney titles, but White needs to put a better plan together.

Look at UK. Talk to Cal about a young roster. Mike White doesn’t win that game in a million years.
At this point in the season being young doesn't mean a lot when you're not even competitive in a game. Ok...we lose to #1 but when you're never even in the game except for at tip off....not good. I think we were down about 6 around the half but after that it was over.

At this point in the season being young doesn't mean a lot when you're not even competitive in a game. Ok...we lose to #1 but when you're never even in the game except for at tip off....not good. I think we were down about 6 around the half but after that it was over.
We we’re actually down 11 at the half

We have an easy part of the schedule coming up but the LSU and Baylor losses probably ended any chance of getting a good seed for the tournament which makes it much more difficult to reach the Sweet 16. It's crazy with this roster our only good win so far is Auburn since Xavier is losing left and right. White better win a few games in the tourney if this keeps up or their will be noise going into next season.

CMW’s game plan is the same each week. He studies 1985 Villanova/Georgetown film and repeats over and over “ all we have to do is shoot 78% and we have a chance” Never any adjustments, cannot fit scheme to roster/talent and will not accept this - no accountability. As an ‘85 graduate, I remember the mountaintop of Sweet 16 vs. Syracuse. C’mon Sad, for a guy who selected his moniker as a result of Zook hire, you cannot openly continue to accept Muschamp like performance on BB court. How many times can you look at a field goal lead and bleed the clock hoping other team doesn’t score? This is what we are seeing with current program. On a positive note, the guy does have medals for something.....cue Sad’s Robin - Insta have your reply post loaded?

We we’re actually down 11 at the half
You're probably right...I was half a bottle in...we just looked like crap the whole game. We were in the paint mixing it up with Auburn and I don't now what the game plan was yesterday. It looked like a few other games I've seen this year. I just don't understand why we don't attack the basket...we've got some guys who can do it.

We have an easy part of the schedule coming up but the LSU and Baylor losses probably ended any chance of getting a good seed for the tournament which makes it much more difficult to reach the Sweet 16. It's crazy with this roster our only good win so far is Auburn since Xavier is losing left and right. White better win a few games in the tourney if this keeps up or their will be noise going into next season.
It won't matter with our inconsistent play. Poorly coached team IMO.

Reactions: Gator Fever
CMW’s game plan is the same each week. He studies 1985 Villanova/Georgetown film and repeats over and over “ all we have to do is shoot 78% and we have a chance” Never any adjustments, cannot fit scheme to roster/talent and will not accept this - no accountability. As an ‘85 graduate, I remember the mountaintop of Sweet 16 vs. Syracuse. C’mon Sad, for a guy who selected his moniker as a result of Zook hire, you cannot openly continue to accept Muschamp like performance on BB court. How many times can you look at a field goal lead and bleed the clock hoping other team doesn’t score? This is what we are seeing with current program. On a positive note, the guy does have medals for something.....cue Sad’s Robin - Insta have your reply post loaded?
Truth....and not a knock on SAD but the state of the Nation is that we have a lot of talent and look like an unorganized team. If we lose to Baylor...all good but we got our asses beat.

Speaking of other basketball teams it's crazy seeing all the KY talk as you would think Richards was the next coming and Blackshear was a flop. If White just wins one big game the rest of the season I hope it's that home game against KY.

Yap, yap, yap,,,, ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

ps -- the game officials were par for the course....

I suppose, for me, the problem is that I have no confidence in the team to beat anybody. I'm not saying they won't or can't win.....but it wouldn't surprise me if they would get dominated at home by a division 2 team that has a losing record.

I think theres enough proof in the pudding of this season to support that. Then when UF plays a game REALLY well.....people will use the fraction of the time that it happens to justify the whole.

This team reminds me of last years baseball team, but worse. Last years baseball team never gave me confidence on any possible win because of the lacking pitching. Sure it did well enough to get to the tournament.....but got knocked out by a scrub in the regionals. Which wasn't surprising, because I had no confidence for a win against anybody.

The difference, HOWEVER, Sully is a proven great coach and has the hardware to prove it. I have confidence the baseball team will get back on track.

With the basketball team, .....if they get knocked out of the tourney early again(if they even make it)...where do you really go from there? Experience doesnt always pan out. There are times when experience = veteran underperformance. Coaching is key. I will leave it to others when the hot seat begins.

Last edited:
The difference, HOWEVER, Sully is a proven great coach and has the hardware to prove it. I have confidence the baseball team will get back on track.

While he was at LA Tech, ESPN’s Jay Bilas noted that White is one of the nation’s best young coaches: “White is a superstar and has done a remarkable job at Louisiana Tech. He has this in his blood.”

Overall Career Coaching Wins = 200+
UF Career Coaching Wins = 100 Already (only half way thru his 5th season)

Former Ole Miss PG Mike White recruited a 2 star PG, then coached him to LaTech's All Time Career Assist Record holder, 'Speedy' Smith 858 Career Asts.
Then Mike came to UF and coached another PG to UF's All Time career Ast Record. In Mikes 2 years with the Cheese, he helped him to reach 571 Career Ast's.

In his first 7 years as a HC, Mike has earned CoY 3 times. :eek:
2013-14 MWC Coach of the Year
2014-15 C-USA Coach of the Year
2016-17 SEC Coach of the Year
Mike has been a HC in 3 different conferences and was named a CoY in all 3. o_O
Looks pretty consistent to me... :eek:

4 Consecutive 20+ win seasons.

4 Consecutive Post Season Tournaments - NIT Quarter Finals in 1st year.
~ After going 16-17 in BillyD's last season, the Gators returned to the postseason, reaching the quarterfinals of the NIT, which included a road win at Ohio State, UF’s first-ever road win vs. a Big Ten program.

3 Consecutive NCAA Tournaments - Elite-8 --- zero 1 & dones... :cool:
UF is one of only 10 teams, out of 353 in the nation, that has earned at least one victory in each of the past 3 NCAA Tournaments. o_O
>>> Looks pretty consistent to me... :eek:

White’s 48 wins through his 1st 2 years ranks 4th in SEC history.
In posting a six-win improvement over his debut season at UF, White helped the Gators reach 27 wins for just the 8th time in school history.
(note: HoF BillyD won 2 NC in 19 seasons, so if Mike doesn't win at least 1 NC in his first 10 years, then the AD should fire him for not being as good as a HoF HC) :oops:

No offense Mike, in 2016-17 marked the first season in UF school history that featured three 30-point road wins.

In 2018-19, Mike ended up starting 3 true Fr that he'd recruited.
PG Anthony Membhard - Fr All SEC Team
SG Noah locke - UF Fr Record for made 3's with 81.
SF/PF K. Johnson - Team Rebounding Leader.
Then he topped that off this year with the #7 ranked recruiting class.

Oh BTW, the 'Hot Seat' firings will need to begin with the idiot AD that just gave Mike a raise and a contract extension.... o_O --- He apparently doesn't agree with any of the basketball genius nay-sayers, or with the constantly sniveling whiners... :rolleyes:

JMOHO's of course.... :p --- :D

I don’t think many UK fans are disrespecting Blackshear at all. If anything they (we) would love to have on our team. Richards has really elevated his game, but EJ Montgomery has been inconsistent to disappointing.

As for schedule, we still have to play the Gators and the Vol twice, and @ Auburn & LSU. I’d love to see us run the table the rest of the way, but we’ll probably lose at least 1-2 games before tournament play.

ESPN projects us to lose another 4 games - I just hope we (UK) can beat that

I don’t think many UK fans are disrespecting Blackshear at all. If anything they (we) would love to have on our team. Richards has really elevated his game, but EJ Montgomery has been inconsistent to disappointing.

As for schedule, we still have to play the Gators and the Vol twice, and @ Auburn & LSU. I’d love to see us run the table the rest of the way, but we’ll probably lose at least 1-2 games before tournament play.

Some are but I guess it's from a pretty big pool of fans. As far as Richards he isn't doing anything better than Blackshear imo except he usually blocks a few shots a game unlike Blackshear. KY doesn't look that dominant to me though no team really does this season it seems.

Some are but I guess it's from a pretty big pool of fans. As far as Richards he isn't doing anything better than Blackshear imo except he usually blocks a few shots a game unlike Blackshear. KY doesn't look that dominant to me though no team really does this season it seems.
UK is just an average team this year. Nobody really is standing out at the moment. Probably will make for a good tournament though.

Reactions: Gator Fever
While he was at LA Tech, ESPN’s Jay Bilas noted that White is one of the nation’s best young coaches: “White is a superstar and has done a remarkable job at Louisiana Tech. He has this in his blood.”

Overall Career Coaching Wins = 200+
UF Career Coaching Wins = 100 Already (only half way thru his 5th season)

Former Ole Miss PG Mike White recruited a 2 star PG, then coached him to LaTech's All Time Career Assist Record holder, 'Speedy' Smith 858 Career Asts.
Then Mike came to UF and coached another PG to UF's All Time career Ast Record. In Mikes 2 years with the Cheese, he helped him to reach 571 Career Ast's.

In his first 7 years as a HC, Mike has earned CoY 3 times. :eek:
2013-14 MWC Coach of the Year
2014-15 C-USA Coach of the Year
2016-17 SEC Coach of the Year
Mike has been a HC in 3 different conferences and was named a CoY in all 3. o_O
Looks pretty consistent to me... :eek:

4 Consecutive 20+ win seasons.

4 Consecutive Post Season Tournaments - NIT Quarter Finals in 1st year.
~ After going 16-17 in BillyD's last season, the Gators returned to the postseason, reaching the quarterfinals of the NIT, which included a road win at Ohio State, UF’s first-ever road win vs. a Big Ten program.

3 Consecutive NCAA Tournaments - Elite-8 --- zero 1 & dones... :cool:
UF is one of only 10 teams, out of 353 in the nation, that has earned at least one victory in each of the past 3 NCAA Tournaments. o_O
>>> Looks pretty consistent to me... :eek:

White’s 48 wins through his 1st 2 years ranks 4th in SEC history.
In posting a six-win improvement over his debut season at UF, White helped the Gators reach 27 wins for just the 8th time in school history.
(note: HoF BillyD won 2 NC in 19 seasons, so if Mike doesn't win at least 1 NC in his first 10 years, then the AD should fire him for not being as good as a HoF HC) :oops:

No offense Mike, in 2016-17 marked the first season in UF school history that featured three 30-point road wins.

In 2018-19, Mike ended up starting 3 true Fr that he'd recruited.
PG Anthony Membhard - Fr All SEC Team
SG Noah locke - UF Fr Record for made 3's with 81.
SF/PF K. Johnson - Team Rebounding Leader.
Then he topped that off this year with the #7 ranked recruiting class.

Oh BTW, the 'Hot Seat' firings will need to begin with the idiot AD that just gave Mike a raise and a contract extension.... o_O --- He apparently doesn't agree with any of the basketball genius nay-sayers, or with the constantly sniveling whiners... :rolleyes:

JMOHO's of course.... :p --- :D

Well the same guy was bragging about Ole Butters as a coach after the 2016 season.

You're probably right...I was half a bottle in...we just looked like crap the whole game. We were in the paint mixing it up with Auburn and I don't now what the game plan was yesterday. It looked like a few other games I've seen this year. I just don't understand why we don't attack the basket...we've got some guys who can do it.

Like I said earlier, first game I've really watched this season. What I saw was standing around on offense, total disregard for protecting the ball and generally sloppy play, piss poor shooting from both the field and the foul line, and absolutely no sense of urgency on defense until the final 4 minutes of the game. The game really wasn't as close as the score if that says anything.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Well the same guy was bragging about Ole Butters as a coach after the 2016 season.

I dissed on McLame every year for not playing Trask, so why leave that out? :rolleyes:
(you debate like a typical demorat)
And if that's your best rebuttal to White's record as a HC, then you're exactly as smart as you've shown yourself to be for years now.... :confused:

While fevered-brain is the phootball genius that said: "All quality recruiting ends by August." :cool:

Like I said earlier, first game I've really watched this season. What I saw was standing around on offense, total disregard for protecting the ball and generally sloppy play, piss poor shooting from both the field and the foul line, and absolutely no sense of urgency on defense until the final 4 minutes of the game. The game really wasn't as close as the score if that says anything.

What it says is that they had a bad game and got beat by 11 by the #1 ranked team. :cool:

Like baseball, they don't have to win every game all season long.
With the 14th youngest team out of 353 teams, what did you expect after watching just one game all season? :rolleyes:

Reactions: sadgator
What it says is that they had a bad game and got beat by 11 by the #1 ranked team. :cool:

Like baseball, they don't have to win every game all season long.
With the 14th youngest team out of 353 teams, what did you expect after watching just one game all season? :rolleyes:
It's basketball, I get it. Good teams get smoked occasionally.......but not on their home court in prime time. Good teams don't mail it in at home. If you can't get mentally prepared for a game like that, I don't expect much for the season. What was disappointing was an apparent lack of effort.

It's basketball, I get it. Good teams get smoked occasionally.......but not on their home court in prime time. Good teams don't mail it in at home. If you can't get mentally prepared for a game like that, I don't expect much for the season. What was disappointing was an apparent lack of effort.
We got smoked by a terrible Missouri team as well. Too many bad games this year.

Reactions: NavigatorII

You really don't watch much B-Ball do you.... (rhetorical) :rolleyes:

Injuries, and then the flu has gone through the team in the last week... o_O
Go back to NOT watching... ;)

You really don't watch much B-Ball do you.... (rhetorical) :rolleyes:

Injuries, and then the flu has gone through the team in the last week... o_O
Go back to NOT watching... ;)
Well the flu would explain the lack of energy I guess........what happened the other six times? :p

Well the flu would explain the lack of energy I guess........what happened the other six times? :p
There wasn’t a lack of energy last night. They actually looked good early, got beat by an insanely good team, and their shots simply did not fall...

that said, the misses on the free throws at the end by Blackshear were troubling...but it wasn’t from lack of effort.

There wasn’t a lack of energy last night. They actually looked good early, got beat by an insanely good team, and their shots simply did not fall...

that said, the misses on the free throws at the end by Blackshear were troubling...but it wasn’t from lack of effort.
For sure, Baylor is decent. But that isn't the issue, I don't think Baylor could beat UK more than one 1 game out of 5. What I saw was lack of ball movement on offense, guards dribbling into double teams. People standing around. On defense, Baylor shot uncontested 3's all night long, then UF couldn't get a loose ball to save their lives. Maybe the defensive problem was playing a soft zone, I dunno. But this Gator team just doesn't pass the eye test, based on this game..............and then there are another 6 losses unaccounted for and the SEC season is barely underway. I hope to be wrong, but I see no way to sugar coat this (unless we go with the perpetual UGA defense (excuse) of being too young).:p

For sure, Baylor is decent. But that isn't the issue, I don't think Baylor could beat UK more than one 1 game out of 5. What I saw was lack of ball movement on offense, guards dribbling into double teams. People standing around. On defense, Baylor shot uncontested 3's all night long, then UF couldn't get a loose ball to save their lives. Maybe the defensive problem was playing a soft zone, I dunno. But this Gator team just doesn't pass the eye test, based on this game..............and then there are another 6 losses unaccounted for and the SEC season is barely underway. I hope to be wrong, but I see no way to sugar coat this (unless we go with the perpetual UGA defense of being too young).:p
Usually at the college level it's all coaching...the right coach can get it done. This isn't 1 season either.

Baylor played with much more intensity, focus and strength. They were constantly in motion on offense and didn't just stand around dribbling, or try to slowly back down the guy guarding them. The ball moved. And on defense they were in our guys faces, switched off well and blocked out tremendously well. That is coaching.

That is coaching.

Maybe they are just better but we got out coached and played...there was no continuity with our team this year. We can either make the 16 or not the tournament at all. I think he's see how the season ends, SEC tourney goes then we can say but not so great 2/3 ways through.

Just wish we could see some consistency no matter where we end up.

Looking at the remaining schedule… Smart money would be on us not making the tournament.... (too inconsistent to run the table on the upcoming “winnable” games)

Certainly hope and would love to be wrong

Reactions: ocalaman
Looking at the remaining schedule… Smart money would be on us not making the tournament.... (too inconsistent to run the table on the upcoming “winnable” games)

Certainly hope and would love to be wrong
Agree - I want so badly for this program to be successful and get back to where it should be. The SEC is down this year and with the talent on our team there is no reason we should not be competing for the league title. But through 19 games the evidence is just not there that that is going to happen. Would love to be wrong as well.

Reactions: PacoGator19
I dissed on McLame every year for not playing Trask, so why leave that out? :rolleyes:
(you debate like a typical demorat)
And if that's your best rebuttal to White's record as a HC, then you're exactly as smart as you've shown yourself to be for years now.... :confused:

While fevered-brain is the phootball genius that said: "All quality recruiting ends by August." :cool:
I’ll give you credit you backed Trask when many of us saying “what? who?” I hope you right about coach White. He’s a good recruiter and kids want to play for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT