ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

Yep making the tourney shouldn't be hard as I think 7- 5 the rest of the way locks that up. It's just a lot harder to make that 2nd week of the tourney as a 7 to 12 seed.

With the talent on this team, pre-season #6 in the nation, #2 in the SEC, just to make the NCAA tournament and winning 1 game is NOT a successful season. It will be a major failure not to at least make the Sweet 16 - and I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Agree - I want so badly for this program to be successful and get back to where it should be. The SEC is down this year and with the talent on our team there is no reason we should not be competing for the league title. But through 19 games the evidence is just not there that that is going to happen. Would love to be wrong as well.
Kind of waht I've been following...haven't seen but about 6 games this year but we have been bi polar...we've got some more tough games ahead. Either way it won't mean a thing if we keep playing the way that we have....1 game we're out. Other thing is...getting our teeth kicked in sucks....at least put up a good fight.

UConn was a 7 seed that year, beating an 8 seed UK in the NC game. Villanova won in 85 as a 8 seed.

I would say the Gators make it into the tournament this year, probably somewhere between a 6 and a 9 seed.

What was the deal with UK that season - I forget? Didn't gel well until the tourney? I remember those guards on UConn were really good and people were saying watch out for them despite their seeding.

Billy D didn't make it every season either...
You’d never know it reading some of these posts...

In fact, most here who apparently believe Florida is a now some kind of basketball blue-blood school might be a bit surprised to go back and review Billy’s record, taking note of the number of times Billy’s teams either didn’t make the tournament or “under-achieved” when they got there...given our new-found definition of basketball “success.”

In fact, most here who apparently believe Florida is a now some kind of basketball blue-blood school might be a bit surprised to go back and review Billy’s record, taking note of the number of times Billy’s teams either didn’t make the tournament or “under-achieved” when they got there...given our new-found definition of basketball “success.”

Did he ever have a season where we were ranked around this high to start and then the regular season was well below expectations? I don't remember to be honest. I do remember that tall skinny really hyped recruit that didn't pan out and is still struggling after leaving - maybe that season?

Billy’s record at UF was exceptional. I believe like a 71% wining percentage. Mike White isn’t even close. I don’t expect him to be Billy D but I sure think we can do better than what we have done the last 5 years because of what Billy did for the program.

Chris Walker is who I was thinking about. Might have been Donovan's last season and I think we got a real high early ranking because of the false hope we got with that in addition to the rest of the team not playing well either.

Billy took over a program with very little history of success. White took over a program that the preceding 15 years had 12 tourney appearances, including 7 elite 8s, 4 final fours, 1 runner up and 2 titles. Think about that for a minute. That 15 year stretch was as good as any team in the nation. I would call that blueblood. Billy had 8 seasons with double digit losses out of 19 total seasons. Mike White will have 4 out of 5 once this season is complete. To be frank, your arguement seems rather silly when you think that almost 50% of his final 15 seasons involved runs into the second weekend of the tourney. White took over an established program coming off a bad season, but the program was more than established. Thus far we have backtracked under White, no way to sugar coat that. Let's see how this season plays out

Billy took over a program with very little history of success. White took over a program that the preceding 15 years had 12 tourney appearances, including 7 elite 8s, 4 final fours, 1 runner up and 2 titles. Think about that for a minute. That 15 year stretch was as good as any team in the nation. I would call that blueblood. Billy had 8 seasons with double digit losses out of 19 total seasons. Mike White will have 4 out of 5 once this season is complete. To be frank, your argument seems rather silly when you think that almost 50% of his final 15 seasons involved runs into the second weekend of the tourney. White took over an established program coming off a bad season, but the program was more than established. Thus far we have backtracked under White, no way to sugar coat that. Let's see how this season plays out
Exactamundo! Florida was a mediocre basketball program with isolated pockets of national and SEC success prior to Billy Donovan coming to Gainesville. He built UF basketball into a national powerhouse, showing the obvious potential to maintain that status along the likes of Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. The facilities, school location, academics, infrastructure, and recruiting base were all in place for the next coach to continue to build on Donovan's legacy and maintain an elevated status for the program. And after an Elite 8 appearance in his 2nd year, it seemed that Mike White was going to do just that. He has recruited extremely well, yet the program has regressed the last 3 years and this year has underachieved more than any basketball team I can remember in the 55+ years I've been following Gator basketball. We, of course, have to wait and see how this year and next year play out because Coach White is going to be here for at least that long, probably longer. But the inconsistent play, the softness and physical weakness of the team, the lack of offensive movement, and the defensive lapses all show a team that is not performing anywhere near it's talent level and athleticism.

Reactions: gatordad3
Thomas Goldkamp's discussion of UF's NET rankings and NCAA tournament probability.
https://247sports.com/college/flori...here-UF-stands-in-the-NET-rankings-142800026/

simple equation really. We are 12-7. 12 games left. 20 wins (notwithstanding the SEC tourney) most-likely gets Florida in with the win over Auburn.

Gotta win at least 8 of the last 12. The more wins they have over 8, the better the seed. If they don’t have 8 to get to 20, they’ll need a couple in the SEC tournament.

If they get exactly 8, then they probably need 1 win in the SEC tournament to lock it up for certain.

It ain’t rocket science.

In the NCAA tourney, it’ll come down to match-ups and luck of the draw, as it does EVERY year...

Reactions: instaGATOR
Billy took over a program with very little history of success. White took over a program that the preceding 15 years had 12 tourney appearances, including 7 elite 8s, 4 final fours, 1 runner up and 2 titles. Think about that for a minute. That 15 year stretch was as good as any team in the nation. I would call that blueblood. Billy had 8 seasons with double digit losses out of 19 total seasons. Mike White will have 4 out of 5 once this season is complete. To be frank, your arguement seems rather silly when you think that almost 50% of his final 15 seasons involved runs into the second weekend of the tourney. White took over an established program coming off a bad season, but the program was more than established. Thus far we have backtracked under White, no way to sugar coat that. Let's see how this season plays out
Great post and thorough explanation.

simple equation really. We are 12-7. 12 games left. 20 wins (notwithstanding the SEC tourney) most-likely gets Florida in with the win over Auburn.

Gotta win at least 8 of the last 12. The more wins they have over 8, the better the seed. If they don’t have 8 to get to 20, they’ll need a couple in the SEC tournament.

If they get exactly 8, then they probably need 1 win in the SEC tournament to lock it up for certain.

It ain’t rocket science.

In the NCAA tourney, it’ll come down to match-ups and luck of the draw, as it does EVERY year...

Unless all 7 wins are against the weaker teams 19 wins will get us in for sure no matter the SEC tourney. This is a year where there are a lot of average teams.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Must win game today. Miss St. is not bad. Rebounding will be huge as these two teams figure to miss a bunch of shots. Win, and we're battling at the top of the SEC, where we belong, with LSU, UK, Auburn. Lose and we're right in the middle of the SEC, fighting for a tourney berth.

Shooting % high = Win

Shooting % Low = Loss

Healthy (injury/sickness) players usually play better.

We'll see how it goes...

Must win game today. Miss St. is not bad. Rebounding will be huge as these two teams figure to miss a bunch of shots. Win, and we're battling at the top of the SEC, where we belong, with LSU, UK, Auburn. Lose and we're right in the middle of the SEC, fighting for a tourney berth.

Yep can't be dropping a home game like this. Miss State has been bad on the road this season.

Last edited:
Our 16 point lead down to 4. We had great tempo and ball movement in the first half, and now we've decided to go back to dribble and stand around.

miss st has been terrible on the road, and now we are pulling a mike white special. So inconsistent. 16 point lead gone, now down by 1 and miss st looking to add to the lead. White has done his usual of being the best defensive set for opposing teams. He gets locked into a couple of set plays and keeps trying to run them over, and over, and over again. Makes it real easy to defend us.

LMAO... Vols lose at home to A&M.

Gators needs to wake up....
The SEC is terrible this year. I’m not sure there really is a good team in the entire conference which makes UF look even worse than we are IMO n

Seriously, how can anyone defend mike white right now? This falls on him totally. He got so dialed in on set plays in the second half vs just letting our guys play loose and free. We've been outscored by 22 now since being up 16 against a team that has not been good on the road.

It’s a very very poorly coached basketball program.
And it has been for the past 3 years candidly. We've made the tourney the past couple of years more on the reputation of the program vs actually earning it. In 5 years he has destroyed what Billy built. Just like muschamp he had a good 2nd season and everyone got excited, and now we realize that was just a blip.

And it has been for the past 3 years candidly. We've made the tourney the past couple of years more on the reputation of the program vs actually earning it. In 5 years he has destroyed what Billy built. Just like muschamp he had a good 2nd season and everyone got excited, and now we realize that was just a blip.
Yes agreed that what Billy built has been destroyed. It’s too bad.

Well we probably need to go 7-4 the rest of the way to make it if we don't have a good SEC Tourney even with a bunch of average teams this season.

I’m trying to understand how you blow a sixteen point lead at home to a bad road team. I’ve tried to stay positive with this team but this is just baffling.

Well we probably need to go 7-4 the rest of the way to make it if we don't have a good SEC Tourney even with a bunch of average teams this season.
Who even cares at this point. White has greatly underachieved. He’s in over his head.

Look he’s a bad head coach. I’ve actually said that a few years ago. He’s been here 5 years and has had 1 good team/season. Honestly barring some kind of miracle he really needs to be let go after this season.

Look he’s a bad head coach. I’ve actually said that a few years ago. He’s been here 5 years and has had 1 good team/season. Honestly barring some kind of miracle he really needs to be let go after this season.

I doubt they will. He probably gets next year no matter what.

I doubt they will. He probably gets next year no matter what.
I used to agree with that. I don’t anymore. Why let him have another subpar season? He’s already had 4 subpar seasons. Not really sure why he deserves another one.
Why delay the inevitable?

I used to agree with that. I don’t anymore. Why let him have another subpar season? He’s already had 4 subpar seasons. Not really sure why he deserves another one.
Why delay the inevitable?

I agree if we don't win a game in the tourney for sure but I just don't see them doing it like they would with a football coach. He may be gone for the 21/22 season however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT