ADVERTISEMENT

What DC could we get

You want Adam Fuller? I think pacos choice is the young hot little thang running around out there. Not sure who is available but im not sure if you get a huge upgrade over Grantham. There are just not a lot of elite DCs out there that are currently DCs.... You have to reach like we did for Pruitt. If you cant find a proven dc do you think UF should "roll the dice" on an unproven but high potential guy like we did with pruitt?

You want Adam Fuller? I think pacos choice is the young hot little thang running around out there. Not sure who is available but im not sure if you get a huge upgrade over Grantham. There are just not a lot of elite DCs out there that are currently DCs.... You have to reach like we did for Pruitt. If you cant find a proven dc do you think UF should "roll the dice" on an unproven but high potential guy like we did with pruitt?
Certainly no thanks to Adam Fuller. He’s bad. I do agree with you that there isn’t a lot of elite DCs out there. Asher from Texas gets very positive reviews and is well thought of but they didn’t have a very good defense this year either but lots of people speak highly of him.
Barry Odom at Arkansas I think has done well with what he had to work with.

I watched his defense enough at Memphis. It was like watching an old lady try to fill her water jug at the water spicket while not knowing she had a strainer bowl.

Lmfao.... Hes garb for sure. You think you guys looked confused on defense..... We gave up 21 yards per play in the 1st half to a 3 win team... Yikes

It would be too good to be true to get Strong, but a nice $2 million offer could work.

Again. If Strong haven't coached at Florida, not a single one of you would mention him.

I also don't know if his defensive schemes have updated for modern offenses.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Again. If Strong haven't coached at Florida, not a single one of you would mention him.

This would be my question, has he adapted? This happened to Mickey Andrews.... His schemes became very easy to beat once recruiting changed and he didnt have the fastest and the best every game

• Angry
Reactions: passoverGator

Thisthisthisthisthis.

Give me the young guy with new ideas.

Honestly, football is all offense now and you will never see another truly stifling defense (unless they adjust the rules). This is due to the restrictions on tackling and targeting and all that. Defenses aren't allowed to be intimidating any more. No longer can you punish a WR for going across the middle, or blow up a RB, or, well, touch a QB.

Having said that, all these old timey DC's had defenses that succeeded because they did those exact things. They don't seem to be able to adjust to a post-intimidation era style. Would like to see a young guy, with some new ideas, get a shot. If he can get them lined up on time and know their assignments, he'd already be better than Grantham.

Thisthisthisthisthis.

Give me the young guy with new ideas.

Honestly, football is all offense now and you will never see another truly stifling defense (unless they adjust the rules). This is due to the restrictions on tackling and targeting and all that. Defenses aren't allowed to be intimidating any more. No longer can you punish a WR for going across the middle, or blow up a RB, or, well, touch a QB.

Having said that, all these old timey DC's had defenses that succeeded because they did those exact things. They don't seem to be able to adjust to a post-intimidation era style. Would like to see a young guy, with some new ideas, get a shot. If he can get them lined up on time and know their assignments, he'd already be better than Grantham.
I agree with a lot of this. Offenses are being favored in both college and the NFL. I don’t ever see defenses really being dominant anymore which is fine, they just can’t be as bad as ours. I do struggle with the amount of defensive pass interference calls that seem to be called these days. Way too many calls for ticky tack stuff

Honestly, football is all offense now and you will never see another truly stifling defense (unless they adjust the rules). This is due to the restrictions on tackling and targeting and all that. Defenses aren't allowed to be intimidating any more.

Having said that, all these old timey DC's had defenses that succeeded because they did those exact things. They don't seem to be able to adjust to a post-intimidation era style.

Would like to see a young guy, with some new ideas, get a shot. If he can get them lined up on time and know their assignments, he'd already be better than Grantham. Give me the young guy with new ideas.

LG89,
Totally agree; you make your points extremely well !

You & Nick Saban think alike - current DC for Bama is Pete Golding - age 36..
Golding has been on Nick Saban's staff for three years coaching the inside linebackers; and is in his 2nd year as the Crimson Tide's defensive coordinator after serving as the co-defensive coordinator in his 1st year - 2018.

Golding came to Tuscaloosa after coaching defensive backs and handling the defensive coordinator duties at the University of Texas-San Antonio in 2016 and 2017

Saban has surrounded Golding & the rest of his staff with numerous analyst for a reason.

Found this article extremely interesting -
Alabama Football: How much do analysts add to Crimson Tide staff
https://bamahammer.com/2020/02/19/alabama-football-analysts-crimson-tide-staff/

"Butch Jones, Major Applewhite, Mike Stoops and now Charlie Strong are serious about football. Each of them brings to Tuscaloosa a skill set of value. Hoping to use their time working for Nick Saban as a springboard to future on-field opportunities is smart.

Plus, they can share the off-field workload that otherwise might over-burden the on-field, assistant coaching staff.

No Crimson Tide assistant coach or analyst will ever fundamentally change a Nick Saban defense. They must all work within Nick’s system. Inside that constraint is plenty of room for tweaks. Having those extra, experienced minds analyzing opposing offenses is of great value.

If Pete Golding has the super-sharp, young mind Nick Saban thinks he has, he will welcome Charlie Strong ‘s experience. The coaching association could pay off for both of them. "

My thoughts were similar to yours - find a young INNOVATIVE DC currently coaching for a smaller schools who would, presumably, want to advance to coaching in the SEC & making a lot more money ! LOL

Found these coaches I liked -

ESPN uses Yds/game for ranking purposes; I would use Pts/game
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/view/defense

Marcus Freeman -Age 34 - Cincinnati 9-0; AP #6; ESPN Defense #10 - 310.8 yds/game;
16.0 Pts/game
Scott Symons - Age 34 - Liberty 9-1; AP #23; ESPN Defense #7; 301.2 yds/game;
19.2 Pts/game
Patrick Toney - Age 30 - Louisiana 9-1; AP #16; ESPN Defense #28; 347.8 yds/game;
21.8 Pts/game

For Comparison -
Pete Golding - Age 36 - Bama 11-0; AP #1; ESPN Defense #33; 351.2 yds/game;
19.5 Pts/game
Todd Grantham - Age 54 - UF Gators 8-3; AP #10; ESPN Defense #61; 404.7 yds/game;
28.6 Pts/game

ESPN Offensive stats - Bama #5; Gators #9

As many posters have pointed out - a great offense & a decent defense will win a lot of games & sell a lot of tickets !

Gators had the great offense; but with Grantham as DC; defense sucked !

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
Many of you who say that Strong sucks havent posted who you DO want.

I'm not familiar with young, up and coming assistants ready to step into a DC role. JfJ posted a bunch; of that group, I think I liked the DC at Liberty the best, but WTF do I know?

Jim Leavitt???

60928746.jpg

A year ago SaturdayDownSouth listed the top 25 defensive play callers, the list follows. But Grantham is #9. His stock probably came down some after this year, but still - Can we upgrade the position by running him off? Just asking.
[/QUOTEMy take on Grantham is this yes he is a very knowledge DC . Just not at that level anymore for a program like Florida that strives to play for a championship. He is just not good enough to get you over that hump .

2018 = #9 Defense in the Nation
2019 - #7 Defense in the Nation.
2020 - What a moronic loser, fire his ass....

PS
Recruiting? UF's top 4 rated 2021 recruits are #2 CB, #5 SDE, #8 WDE, #6 S.
So obviously no decent recruits want to play for that know nothing chump... 😏

Carry on....... 🤣

I'm not familiar with young, up and coming assistants ready to step into a DC role. JfJ posted a bunch; of that group, I think I liked the DC at Liberty the best, but WTF do I know?
Honest answer LG. I will join you on the podium of those who don't know but aren't afraid to admit it.............jim

PS

Carry on....... 🤣

were you going to list what his defense is rated this year?

PS

Carry on....... 🤣

His defense would have been ranked higher this year if he would have had three 1-AA teams to pad his stats against.

I don't care what his stats were in prior years, every year we have had the same thing, total shutdown of little guys, bend over and take it from teams with a pulse. This year, with all SEC teams, he was totally exposed, to the point his career may be over. Can't make it any plainer than that.

Reactions: oozie7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT