ADVERTISEMENT

Grantham - Needs to Retire - Hopefully Mullen Recognizes This

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Rumored - With Shane Beamer (new HC South Carolina) being out of the race, @HokiesFB now turn their full attention to @GatorsFB defensive coordinator Todd Grantham to take over for Justin Fuente as Head coach of the #Hokies.

I am sure that Dan Mullen has a list of possible replacement for every coach on staff.

I am not knowledgeable enough to offer him any recommendation, but as a highly skilled Internet troll, I found this listing - written May 9, 2020 - before this season started, interesting.

TOP-5 DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS:
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/foru...ve-defensive-coordinators-in-college-football

1. Brent Venables (Clemson) - will be a head coach soon; no way he makes a lateral move to UF

This was the most obvious choice on either list. He’s won a Broyles Award, 3 National Championships as a DC, and he’s been fielding great defenses since his Oklahoma days.
Dabo Swinney was 29-19 at Clemson before hiring Venables. Since Venables has been there, Clemson is 101-12.

2. Jim Leonhard (Wisconsin) - age 40 - 10 year NFL player - Following his retirement from the NFL, Leonhard joined the Badgers’ staff as defensive backs coach in 2016. He became defensive coordinator less than a year later and went on to be named a finalist for the Broyles Award, presented to the nation’s top assistant coach, in his first season running UW’s defense.
In his 3 years as DC, Wisconsin’s defense has finished #2, #29, and #6 nationally in YPG, and he’s been nominated for the Broyles Award twice. I think Wisconsin’s defense will be one of the best in the country as long as he’s there.

3. Kevin Steele (Auburn) age 62 - don't see a lateral move to UF
Steele previously served as defensive coordinator at LSU and coached inside linebackers at Alabama. He was the defensive coordinator at Clemson University from 2009 until early 2012.

Steele has fielded a lot of great defenses over the years, and his 2019 defense held LSU to their season low of 23 points. He’s also been nominated for the Broyles Award twice during his career (most recently in 2019).

4. Morgan Scalley (Utah) - age 40 - former utah player - we got a head coach from Utah (two actually - Urban & Dan); why not a DC ? In his 13th year overall as a Utah assistant coach, Morgan Scalley is in his fifth season as the defensive coordinator in 2020. He also continues to coach the safeties, as he has his entire time on the staff, and also served as Utah’s recruiting coordinator from 2009-15 and special teams’ coordinator in 2015.
Utah’s defense has improved every year since he became DC. In 2019, they finished 2nd nationally in YPG, and he was a Broyles Award finalist.

5. Chris Ash (Texas) - age 47 - Chris Ash, a former head coach at Rutgers and defensive coordinator at Wisconsin, Arkansas and Ohio State was named defensive coordinator at Texas on December 17, 2019. Ash’s success as a defensive coordinator includes leading the Ohio State defense when the Buckeyes won the 2014 National Championship.
Great endorsement from Urban Meyer - Urban Meyer believes Texas DC Chris Ash was the best coordinator hire in CFB - don't see a lateral move to UF; likely to take another shot as a Head Coach

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/...ris-ash-was-the-best-coordinator-hire-in-cfb/
He had good defenses at Wisconsin, and he helped improve our defense tremendously after the disaster we saw in 2013. Even though he was technically the Co-Coordinator with Fickell, I think he deserves a lot of credit for the defensive improvements we saw in 2014 & 2015.

I like Leonhard or Scalley

Posters on this board - Your thoughts ?

Last edited:
A Big12 defensive coordinator? You guys should definitely do that. Please.

Chris Ash is the answer. Played college ball w former Flo Atlantic head coach current Pitt d line coach Charlie Partridge who is originally from Miami. Plus for recruiting if he can bring him on. The coaching tree Ash comes from is a good story to read. All played college ball together. NC State head coach Doeren, Chiefs D-line coach Daly, plus some other college assistants.

Urban’s endorsement is a serious one and should be listened to.

Not that I would want Steele but a move from AU to UF is currently not a "lateral" his current boss is always on the hot seat. Mullen seat is currently fine.

Please! Virginia Tech, please take Todd Grantham!
Honestly not sure why V Tech is intrigued by 3rd and Grantham while their fans see the same exact thing we all suffer from by having him right now. Now for selfish reasons, I could care less if Grantham becomes Va Tech's problem.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Read the Venables info again. That's why Steele is not a good idea. He was the one at Clemson that Venables was such a huge upgrade over.

I don't want a recycled guy, an old guy. The game is changing rapidly. This is Grantham's problem, why repeat it?

I chuckled at FSUMC's comment about hiring a Big 12 guy. We now have Big 12 offenses in the SEC, maybe we need somebody with some experience against them. After all, Big 12 teams recruit about as well as ACC teams, maybe some of those schemes, if you have DB's that are as good as the WR's will work.

Read the Venables info again. That's why Steele is not a good idea. He was the one at Clemson that Venables was such a huge upgrade over.

LG89,

I Read that article the same way

I don't want a recycled guy, an old guy. The game is changing rapidly. This is Grantham's problem, why repeat it?

Agree strongly; That is why I included the ages of the various DCs.

I also think that the younger DCs are more in tune with HS players; better at recruiting - key factor !

Paco,

The Va tech Tweets that Gaurdad3 posted seem to show some extreme negativity towards that proposal !

BUT, Fooley hired Muschamp & Shark Boy (back to back, no less) so who knows what stupidity lurks in the heart of Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock.
Please don't forget Ron Zook!

• Haha
Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

I chuckled at FSUMC's comment about hiring a Big 12 guy. We now have Big 12 offenses in the SEC, maybe we need somebody with some experience against them. After all, Big 12 teams recruit about as well as ACC teams, maybe some of those schemes, if you have DB's that are as good as the WR's will work.
Definitely hire a Big12 DC. Last time you hired a Big12 DC it worked out really well. Show the rest of the country that place is an untapped well of defensive masterminds.

Gainesville's favorite son is the only correct answer - WILLIAM MUSCHAMP! Great D recruiter and x/o's guy! Sign a 2 year contract and a Natty is guaranteed.

Reactions: gatordad3
Gainesville's favorite son is the only correct answer - WILLIAM MUSCHAMP! Great D recruiter and x/o's guy! Sign a 2 year contract and a Natty is guaranteed.
In the ACC? He may even be the cure for their losing streak against UVA. They can't even remember the last time they lost to the Cavs. Well, at least I see a losing streak happening, unless their game ends up cancelled.

Definitely hire a Big12 DC. Last time you hired a Big12 DC it worked out really well. Show the rest of the country that place is an untapped well of defensive masterminds.
The DC at Texas (Asher) is actually very good.

I'd be fine with Chump running the defense. He's just not HC material. One stipulation: Do NOT talk to our offensive unit, neither players or coaches. :( We had some damned fine defenses when he was here. Considering just how little help his offenses got, what his defenses accomplished was amazing. It was like fighting with one arm tied behind the back.

I'd be fine with Chump running the defense. He's just not HC material. One stipulation: Do NOT talk to our offensive unit, neither players or coaches. :( We had some damned fine defenses when he was here. Considering just how little help his offenses got, what his defenses accomplished was amazing. It was like fighting with one arm tied behind the back.
Is there a chance we can give Dan Quinn some credit while he was under MusDump?

The DC at Texas (Asher) is actually very good.

Paco,

Urban Meyer called him the best 2020 coordinator hire. But when I looked at the Texas scores from this season, not too impressed -

Texas Tech W - 63 - 56 (OT)
TCU L - 33 - 31
Oklahoma L - 53 - 45 (4 OT)
Oklahoma State - W - 41 - 34
Kansas State - W - 69 - 31........BUT Kansas State 4-6 record & lost to Arkansas State & not a very good team

Realize Big 12 plays good offense, but this year so does SEC

#44 - Florida allowing 25.11 pts / game through 9 games
#65 - Texas allowing 29.11 pts / game through 9 games.

Saying UF allowed fewer pts / game not saying much.

FWIW -
#17 Alabama allowing 18.33 pts / game through 9 games

Simple solution; Bama giving up 6.78 pts / game less than Gators; there for we need to out score them by 7 pts in SECCG.

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting to see what Barry Odom or Derek Mason could do with consistently being able to coach up and develop 4 and 5 star kids year in and year out. I’ve always been impressed with how hard their defenses play with so little talent on the roster.

Reactions: GatorGray
Coach Dan Mullen
University of Florida Gators

REF: New DC

Hey Dan, after that LSU debacle I know you're busy, so to save you some time, I looked up the contact information for Jim Leonhard and Morgan Scalley for you - Both of them have experience playing & coaching DBs, so maybe they have some special drills they can use for the Shoe Toss !

Jim Leonhard

Defensive Coordinator/DB's
Football
Email: jal@athletics.wisc.edu
Phone: 608-890-1102
Fax: 608-262-9212

Dan,

Don't know if you remember him from your last year at Utah - he played defense; you coached offense; so just a few things to refresh your memory of

Morgan Scalley
https://utahutes.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/morgan-scalley/2307
Scalley_Morgan_UUFTB18.JPG

Title Defensive Coordinator/Safeties
Email mscalley@huntsman.utah.edu Dan, just click this link to email Morgan Scalley !

Playing Career

Scalley lettered for the Utes from 2001-04 and was the 2004 Mountain West co-Defensive Player of the Year, a second-team All-American by the Associated Press and SI.com and a unanimous first-team all-conference safety. He was a second-team All-MWC defensive back in 2003 and an honorable mention All-MWC punt returner in 2001 and 2002.

As a senior, he captained Utah to 12-0 record, a Fiesta Bowl win over Pittsburgh and a No. 4 national ranking in a historic season in which Utah became the first non-BCS team to play in a BCS bowl game.

Scalley was a two-time first-team Academic All-American (2003-04), the 2004 Anson Mount Scholar Athlete of the Year and the 2004 MWC Scholar Athlete of the Year. He was awarded two post-graduate scholarships, including one from the NCAA.

Scalley was presented with the inaugural Pat Tillman award during the 2005 East-West Shrine Game, recognizing him for his character, intelligence, sportsmanship and service.

After graduating Magna Cum Laude from the U. with a 3.96 GPA, Scalley earned a master’s degree in business.

Hope this helps !

Last edited:
Another view on Todd Grantham -

By Raymond Hines Publisher of Gator Country, December 15, 2020

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/gc-vip-orange-and-blue-musings-121620-edition/

GC VIP: Orange and Blue Musings — 12/16/20 Edition

Can Grantham survive?

I doubt it.

Florida’s defense has been atrocious this season. It has directly cost the Gators both losses and has offset the offense that has been one of the best in the country.

I don’t think this is all Grantham’s fault, but that doesn’t really matter. At the end of the day, Mullen has the offense humming so he’s not in any danger. That means the buck stops with the defensive coordinator.

Beyond the defense’s performance, Grantham has been slow/unable to adjust as things have fallen apart and defiant when asked about his scheme.

There was a really interesting article on ESPN this week about former Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and how he insulated himself from learning while offenses innovated around him. The result is that Malzahn’s offenses at Auburn recently – his calling card – have really struggled.

I think you could say the same thing about Grantham. It just doesn’t look like he had adjusted as opponents have adjusted to him, and when he is questioned about it, he doesn’t show a whole lot of introspection about things that might get better. I think fans would settle for a “we aren’t playing well enough and that’s on me.”

They haven’t gotten that from Grantham and that’s turned up the heat.

Reactions: gatordad3
EDIT:

Morgan Scalley, like most of us, isn't perfect.

These ill advised actions from seven years ago, will undoubtedly disqualify him from consideration as UF's DC, but the results of Utah's investigation are worth looking at.

Utah suspends DC Morgan Scalley for texting racial slur in 2013 - Jun 5, 2020

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ds-dc-morgan-scalley-texting-racial-slur-2013

Resolution -
Utah DC Morgan Scalley retains job, but takes pay cut, after review of racial slur - Jul 1, 2020

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-retains-job-takes-pay-cut-review-racial-slur

Mullen keeping Grantham for the bowl - guess he feels that bad leadership is better than no leadership.

The Florida Gators will have defensive coordinator Todd Grantham on the sidelines for the bowl.

That's definite, according to head coach Dan Mullen, despite a lackluster season from UF's defense and social media running wild with unsubstantiated rumors that Grantham could eventually be replaced.

Hoping the old adage - "Where there's some; there's fire !" holds true.

Other DC Candidates - I choose to look at the DCs for the top defensive teams - all of their teams finished in the top 15 defensively according to -
ESPN - https://www.espn.com/college-footba...table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc
The Football Data Base - https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T&yr=2020

The variability in Games Played made both of these sources look at per game averages for rankings.

Clemson's Bent Venables will be a head coach when he finds the right opportunity; no way he makes a lateral shift to UF.

West Virginia fired its DC right before the season - off the field problems - DC by committee

I am thinking about DCs from smaller schools who would see UF and the SEC as a step up the coaching ladder.

Brad_Lambert_4_.JPG

Brad Lambert - Marshall - age 53 -
Head coach (2011-2018) who started the Charlotte football program
Prior to Charlotte - 10-year assistant at Wake Forest, who also had successful stints at Georgia, Marshall and Oklahoma

Symons,%20Scott%20(2019).jpg

Scott Symons - Liberty - Age 34
Coaching Experience:
2019-present – Liberty (DC/S)
2018 – Memphis (ILB)
2014-17 – West Georgia (DC/S)
2013 – Arkansas Tech (DC)
2012 – Arkansas State (Def. QC)
2008-11 – Harding (WR, DB, Co-DC and Rec. Coord.)
Education: Bachelor's degree in history (Lindenwood, '08); Master's degree in Kinesiology (Harding, '10)

19_FB_Coaches_Mugs_web_0011_Freeman.jpg

Marcus Freeman - Cincinnati - Age 34
A 2007 Ohio State graduate, he earned Academic All-Big Ten and academic all-district honors. In 2011, he earned a master's degree in sports management from Ohio State.
He played in the 2009 Senior Bowl and was a fifth-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears, spending time with the Bears, Buffalo Bills and Houston Texans before a medical condition ended his playing career.
2010: Ohio State - Graduate Assistant
2011-12: Kent State - Linebackers
2013-15: Purdue - Linebackers
2016: Purdue - Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
2017-: Cincinnati - Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

11739548.jpeg

David Reeves - UAB - Age 49
A two-time Broyles Award nominee, In 2018, the Blazers finished ninth nationally in total defense and in 2019 moved up one spot to finish eighth.

Jones_Dale.jpg

Dale Jones - Appalachian State - Age 57
Coaching Experience
1989:
Tennessee (Defensive Assistant)
1990: Parma Panthers (Defensive Coordinator)
1991: Florida (Defensive Assistant)
1991: Georgia Military (Linebackers and Defensive Backs)
1992-95: Georgia Military (Defensive Coordinator/LBs and DBs)
1996-2004: App State (Defensive Line/Special Teams)
2005-09: App State (Linebackers)
2010-12: App State (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
2013: App State (Defensive Line)
2014-17: App State (Inside Linebackers)
2018: App State (Co-Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers)
2019: Louisville (Inside Linebackers)
2020-present: App State (Defensive Coordinator)

Team​
DC​
Gms​
Pts/G​
RYds/G​
PYds/G​
Yds/G​
Wisconsin​
Jim Leonhard​
6​
15.7​
93.7​
160.3​
254​
Marshall​
Brad Lambert​
9​
12.6​
88.9​
171.2​
260.1​
Army​
Nate Woody​
11​
14​
121.2​
142​
263.2​
San Diego State​
Kurt Mattix​
8​
17.8​
97.8​
168.8​
266.5​
Clemson​
Brent Venables​
11​
17.5​
99.9​
171.1​
271​
Liberty​
Scott Symons​
10​
19.2​
128.4​
153.7​
282.1​
West Virginia​
Co Dcs​
9​
20.4​
126.2​
156.9​
283.1​
Cincinnati​
Marcus Freeman​
9​
16​
122.1​
171.1​
293.2​
Air Force​
John Rudzinski​
6​
15​
136.5​
157.5​
294​
Iowa​
Jon Heacock​
8​
16​
107.6​
187​
294.6​
UAB​
David Reeves​
9​
21.4​
137.9​
160.2​
298.1​
BYU​
Ilaisa Tuiaki​
11​
14.6​
113.2​
185​
298.2​
Texas A&M​
Mike Elko​
9​
21.1​
92.2​
206.8​
299​
Appalachian State​
Dale Jones​
11​
19.3​
144.4​
156.1​
300.5​

Last edited:
Guys you have to understand alot of these names just are not compatible with what Mullens philosophy is that's meshes with his offense. All HC's want their OC/DC to be in sync . Some prefer 3-4 others 4-3 or some other hybid system and all most DC are married to one. You really want a coordinator that can incorporate all systems. And alot of times they will be someone you never heard alot about. I'm sure Mullens has people in mind.

Guys you have to understand alot of these names just are not compatible with what Mullens philosophy is that's meshes with his offense.
REDFISTFURY3,

We are looking at a replacement for Todd Grantham, UF DC (for now);
how does a DC's defensive scheme mesh with his team's offense ?
Why should it ?

All HC's want their OC/DC to be in sync .
WTF ?
Basically team's offense & defense act as two separate teams when they play; they are not are on the field at the same time.
Why does a team's OC & DC need to be in sync ?

Some prefer 3-4 others 4-3 or some other hybid system and all most DC are married to one. You really want a coordinator that can incorporate all systems.

OPINION - Agree that most CFB & NFL DCs favor a certain base scheme - usually based on their current personnel, but they know the basics of all of them - 3/4, 4/3. 5/2, etc & can use elements of all of them for a particular opponent.
Look at how many teams ran a 3/8 scheme against Florida toward the end of the season

Florida. during Grantham's 3 years, has basically recruited for & run a 3/4 scheme; Players currently on team reflect this. Would assume this is with Mullen's consent & under Mullen, any new DC would reflect that preference for 3/4 base scheme.

And alot of times they will be someone you never heard alot about.

Possibly; few coordinators, except ones for you own team - or someone like Clemson's Brent Venables get much acknowledgement.

I tried to look at emerging (un heard of) DCs who currently coach for smaller schools who would, presumably, want to advance & coach for an SEC school.

I'm sure Mullens has people in mind.

I'm sure he does too; every off season most head coaches update a list with possible replacements for every coach on their staff.

Because this forum is for fan speculation & opinions on Gator football -(Unless, of course, you're Sad Gator trying to explain his relationship with MS Sad Gator ! LOL)

For your enjoyment, I have researched & speculated on possible replacements for Todd Grantham.

Last edited:
There is a defense worse than ours. Randy Shannon's UCF bunch. BYU is torching them 35-7 with over 400 yards of offense late in the 2nd quarter in the Boca Raton Bowl.

Chris Ash is not the answer at DC. I was going to post the UT scores as well, their defense this year was similar to ours. In fact our defense has better rankings than UT in many categories such as total defense and avg points allowed per game, etc. That speaks volumes, I don’t think our fan base would embrace a DC that was outperformed by TG this year. If he is ever a serious candidate I suggest posting an opinion poll on the Rutgers message board, I would be shocked if one person would say he is the best DC hire for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT