ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Should Napier keep looking to supplement Mertz?​

Mertz’s stats are not pretty, His film is a little bit better as there are signs he can make reads and deliver an on-time ball to his receivers. Mertz was ailed at Wisconsin by an abysmal offensive line, a wide receiver corps that dropped everything, and a coaching staff that refused to make things easier by running play-action.

It seemed like Mertz was only picked up by Napier to be a veteran presence while Rashada developed. He was never meant to be the guy to take the reigns for an entire season.

Fever, you called it !

If Napier had full confidence in Mertz to lead Florida football, he wouldn’t have been in Louisiana this week trying to pick up LSU transfer Walker Howard.

So now what?​

At this point, Napier must decide whether to keep searching or whether to let Mertz and Jack Miller battle it out. If this was NCAA 14, you keep searching because who cares what emotions robots have?

In real life, it’s more complicated because you would be telling both Miller and Mertz “Hey, thanks for coming here. We don’t really want you but maybe will do.”

Napier - 3 Options at Transfer QB

If Napier were to keep searching, he has three options at this point:

Spencer Sanders – When Sanders declared for the portal, Florida football was a betting favorite to land the Oklahoma State QB. Most recently it was believed Auburn would be his new home.

When healthy, Sanders is an accurate QB with a lot of attributes Gator fans will like. He was hurt last season and his accuracy dropped below 60%.

Sam Huard – One of the top-rated QBs in the class of 2021, Huard never saw much of the field with Washington during his two years in Seattle. He’s a west coast guy and Napier is probably never going to take a west coast guy ever again after Rashada.

Marcus Stokes –
The four-star QB is currently the only QB ranked in the top 50 by 247 Sports that is still uncommitted. Stokes of course was committed to Florida football but was released after a controversial video of him surfaced in November.

I mentioned him recently; as I stated - we have only screwed him over twice; we deserve another shot.

He worked hard at recruiting also.

Truthfully, he was probably dropped because it came shortly after Rashada committed and Napier was able to use the video as an excuse to get away from Stokes and (not) have to take two QBs.

At last - someone else says it !

https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/01/18/florida-football-napier-supplement-mertz/
Right now, I'd take Stokes.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
I see y'alls favorite, Shime, decided to start another pointless Rashada thread.

Anyway, on that note, I'm with Chris Doering. RaDrama can go Eff himself.
Bold statement from Doering. sadgator still refuses to believe that is what was offered….there is just no way…

Absolutely it was!

Yep no reason to revoke the offer for that. It will be crazy with no Blue Chip QB high school recruit on the roster that was recruited by Napier in his first 2 classes. Hasn't happened here since these rating services have been around and I bet you would be hard pressed to find that situation on any SECCG or national contending team in recent years.

Sorry - disagree...the PR would be worse than the Rashada issues.
GBO,

Why is it legal to compose, record, & market the song - but not to sing it ?

Napier, as the thread pointed out, turned a molehill into a mountain for his own purposes.

Right after Rashada committed (for the supposed pile of NIL$$$), Napier created the incident so he could dump Stokes, get Rashada & save a scholly.

Cormani McClain’s silence means Colorado isn’t a lock.​

Farrell’s take: FICTION​

I think this is done. I can’t see Miami continuing to push here and I think Alabama is out. And I think McClain loved his visit to Colorado and
learning from Deion Sanders is very attractive -

Prime Time to Cormani - they won't name any Rules after you (1) - BUT
"a great player like you doesn't have to waste time going to class & taking tests - do it the way I did it & see how much fun you can have."

A decision was supposed to be announced Jan. 15 but that didn’t happen and with McClain anything is in play but I’d be surprised if he wasn’t teaming up with Travis Hunter next season.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/fact-...cclain-jaden-rashada-to-asu-julian-sayin-flip

(1) When Sanders was a college star at Florida State, he came up with a big interception to seal FSU’s win over Auburn in the 1989 Sugar Bowl, but he also opened up a firestorm. It later came to light that Sanders, who was obviously bound for NFL greatness, simply hadn’t attended classes or taken finals the fall semester before the game.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/28445/two-rules-named-after-deion-sanders

Cormani McClain’s silence means Colorado isn’t a lock.​

Farrell’s take: FICTION​

I think this is done. I can’t see Miami continuing to push here and I think Alabama is out. And I think McClain loved his visit to Colorado and
learning from Deion Sanders is very attractive -

Prime Time to Cormani - they won't name any Rules after you (1) - BUT
"a great player like you doesn't have to waste time going to class & taking tests - do it the way I did it & see how much fun you can have."

A decision was supposed to be announced Jan. 15 but that didn’t happen and with McClain anything is in play but I’d be surprised if he wasn’t teaming up with Travis Hunter next season.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/fact-...cclain-jaden-rashada-to-asu-julian-sayin-flip

(1) When Sanders was a college star at Florida State, he came up with a big interception to seal FSU’s win over Auburn in the 1989 Sugar Bowl, but he also opened up a firestorm. It later came to light that Sanders, who was obviously bound for NFL greatness, simply hadn’t attended classes or taken finals the fall semester before the game.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/28445/two-rules-named-after-deion-sanders

I don't think CO is paying kids much but Miami I think is done with him. Bama I could possibly still see. Hopefully him and Rashada become the poster children of screwing themselves on NIL.

UGA WR AD Mitchell Hits the Portal​

Georgia wideout Adonai Mitchell announced his intention to enter the portal on Wednesday, and he is one of the hottest commodities on the market.

https://www.si.com/college/tennesse...portal-could-be-target-for-tennessee-football

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/...-portal-so-what-does-it-mean-for-the-bulldogs
Some of these portal moves surprise me, but then again I guess just looking for a payday.

Reactions: gatordad3
Ocala,

Good Pick up ! Thanks !

Best thing about Goodwin - 3 years of eligibility remaining

"247Sports ranked Goodwin as the nation’s No. 5 offensive tackle and No. 33 prospect overall in the 2022 class. He played in all 12 games for the Wildcats as a true freshman and has three years of eligibility remaining."

Obviously - Transfers - Especially Football Players in a position of need - have special drop/add rules !

LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Ocala,

Good Pick up ! Thanks !

"247Sports ranked Goodwin as the nation’s No. 5 offensive tackle and No. 33 prospect overall in the 2022 class. He played in all 12 games for the Wildcats as a true freshman and has three years of eligibility remaining."

They love the 6'6 plus O linemen it seems.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
GBO,

Why is it legal to compose, record, & market the song - but not to sing it ?

Napier, as the thread pointed out, turned a molehill into a mountain for his own purposes.

Right after Rashada committed (for the supposed pile of NIL$$$), Napier created the incident so he could dump Stokes, get Rashada & save a scholly.
Pretty sure all those things are legal unless you are suggesting otherwise which would be weird.

Cancelling proposed contracts - is also legal lol.

It's not really about being forgiven. That type of situation is usually best handled by everyone moving on...then he can prove himself again.

Let me know when they start making many of the other players prove themselves for words that were spoken not even repeating a song or some really top recruits that are on tape beating a female into the ground and yet Stricklin let's him come anyway because he is a 5 star the coach really wants.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Pretty sure all those things are legal unless you are suggesting otherwise which would be weird.

Cancelling proposed contracts - is also legal lol.
GBO,

Exactly my point ! All those things are Legal !

If Marcus was Black would this even be an issue ?

So, unless this is a case of Reverse Racism, why should it matter if Marcus Stokes sings along with a Rap tune that someone else wrote, recorded, & marketed ?

Why did Napier blow it up all out of proportion ?

To save a scholarship ?

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Let me know when they start making many of the other players prove themselves for words that were spoken not even repeating a song or some really top recruits that are on tape beating a female into the ground and yet Stricklin let's him come anyway because he is a 5 star the coach really wants.
I'll keep you apprised ;) Didn't Cam newton leave after stealing a lap top? He turned out after leaving.

GBO,

Exactly my point ! All those things are Legal !

If Marcus was Black would this even be an issue ?

So, unless this is a case of Reverse Racism, why should it matter if Marcus Stokes sings along with a Rap tune that someone else wrote, recorded, & marketed ?

Why did Napier blow it up all out of proportion ?

To save a scholarship ?
Come on - you know how this works.

First - Stokes isn't that good. He was our 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice at QB. You know the better you are, the more leeway you get - that's just how everything works.

He's not that great - very little leeway.

Of course, if he's black nobody would care - may not be fair, just like the above leeway - but he knew the unofficial rules.

No clue why Napier blew it up - again, Stokes isn't very good so I don't really care lol. Again - if it's a top 50 player I'd care a whole lot.

I'll keep you apprised ;) Didn't Cam newton leave after stealing a lap top? He turned out after leaving.

Just saying this is a complete joke (for other reasons also) when our AD allowed a recruit to enroll after he literally pounded a female into the ground just prior to enrollment which is still on YouTube I believe for everyone to see.

Come on - you know how this works.

First - Stokes isn't that good. He was our 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice at QB. You know the better you are, the more leeway you get - that's just how everything works.

He's not that great - very little leeway.

Of course, if he's black nobody would care - may not be fair, just like the above leeway - but he knew the unofficial rules.

No clue why Napier blew it up - again, Stokes isn't very good so I don't really care lol. Again - if it's a top 50 player I'd care a whole lot.
GBO,

Sad but True !

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

Ocala,

Good Pick up ! Thanks !

Obviously - Transfers - Especially Football Players in a position of need - have special drop/add rules !

LOL

Goodwin had some serious issues with his weight and staying in shape this past season. As bad as our OL was, he played virtually no snaps except on special teams (XP and FG attempts). In spite of his size, his poor blocking lead to at least two of our kicks being blocked.

The young man has tremendous upside but failed to make an impact in his FR season. From what I heard on the UK board, he was given the opportunity to come back if certain conditions were met, which he failed to do apparently.

Perhaps the change of scenery will do him good. I’ll wish him the best except when you guys are playing us.

Goodwin had some serious issues with his weight and staying in shape this past season. As bad as our OL was, he played virtually no snaps except on special teams (XP and FG attempts). In spite of his size, his poor blocking lead to at least two of our kicks being blocked.

The young man has tremendous upside but failed to make an impact in his FR season. From what I heard on the UK board, he was given the opportunity to come back if certain conditions were met, which he failed to do apparently.

Perhaps the change of scenery will do him good. I’ll wish him the best except when you guys are playing us.

Hopefully he gets serious now. Sometimes a change will motivate the player.

Reactions: ghost_of_ukalum1988
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT