ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Spring Sports

Huge series beginning tonight. Arkansas is a powerful team with good pitching. They knocked us out of the SEC-T last year in dominating fashion.

They got to Singer early and are leading us 6-2 in the 7th. Deacon Liput accounted for our only runs with a 2-run homer.

The power numbers are definitely up for the baseball team and they obviously are a better hitting team than last year. The key to me is pitching depth. Jack Leftwich & Tommy Mace came in as 2 of the most highly touted pitchers in the country. They started off really strong, but have been hit hard their last 3-4 times on the mound. O'Sullivan is great at developing and handling pitchers, so I have confidence he will get it figured out. UF has had super talented teams in the past, but didn't reach the ultimate goal of last year's team. Will be interesting to see how this season plays out, as the SEC is loaded again.

Have to assume they've been charted sufficiently to anticipate their pitches.

Arkansas takes game 1 6-3. Their pitching was very good. Both teams had 2 home runs.

Yep, Ar-kansas is ranked #4 in the nation for a reason. o_O
So jus-damn on them little piggies...:(

UF/Arky game is on ESPN2 at noon today and on the SEC Network Sunday at noon. UF/Texas A&M softball is on ESPN2 today at 5, ESPN2 Sunday at 7 and the SEC network Monday at 7. The SEC gymnastics meet is on ESPN2 at 7 Sat. night.

Softball team beat #8 Texas A&M 6-1 behind Barnhill's 2 hitter. Men's Swimming team finished 5th at the NCAA's and the lacrosse team beat Georgetown 16-11 to give Coach Amanda O'Leary her 300th coaching win. Only 4 other lacrosse coaches have won that many games.

Great game for the clincher v. Arky. Schwarz and Maldonado bombs, India hitting lasers all over the park and Bierne coming in with second and third full and just turning out the lights.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Not to be a killjoy, but it always a little disconcerting when a swimmer, track athlete, or cyclist starts posting historic times that have never been posted before...and starts doing it back to back...

It definitely makes you go, “hmmmmm.”
I remember Caeleb Dressell when he was a baby. We used to live a couple of blocks from the family before we moved to Ocala. Great people and I would say I'm 99.99% sure his record times are solely the results of superior genes, extremely hard work and healthy diet. Nothing else.

Locke = 7 NCAA Records

Dressel = 10 NCAA Records, 9 single and 1 Relay. :eek:

I seem to remember some kid named Spitz, from way back in my days... ;)

============

Gymnastics team finished 3rd overall in the SEC-T.
However, they had the #1 individual finish in every event.
Now they have to get back to building up their depth in each event.

Locke = 7 NCAA Records

============

The gymnastics team had the SEC title within their grasp, holding a good lead going into their last event, the floor exercise. But without Kennedy Baker, their best and most consistent on the floor, 2 of the girls had really bad falls, forcing them to count a very low score of 9.125 or something like that. Cost them the championship. Losing Baker to the achilles injury really hurt their chances for an SEC or national title.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Locke = 7 NCAA Records

============

OU wimmin # 1 :cool::D

Not to be a killjoy, but it always a little disconcerting when a swimmer, track athlete, or cyclist starts posting historic times that have never been posted before...and starts doing it back to back...

It definitely makes you go, “hmmmmm.”

It's unfortunate, but I've become extremely skeptical of most great performances in sports. It's like I look at Lebron, still just trucking dudes at age 33 and after 15 years in the league, and it just doesn't look real. There's so much money at stake, if an athlete feels like they can get an edge with acceptable risk, of course they're going to take it. It's a business decision.

It's unfortunate, but I've become extremely skeptical of most great performances in sports. It's like I look at Lebron, still just trucking dudes at age 33 and after 15 years in the league, and it just doesn't look real. There's so much money at stake, if an athlete feels like they can get an edge with acceptable risk, of course they're going to take it. It's a business decision.
I personally have no problem with athletes at any level taking PEDs

Srsly? sadgator doesn’t have a problem with professional football or basketball dudes doing it, but college swimming? You just can’t do that.
It's not right for some to take PED's and others not. That creates the unfair advantage. If they opened the door to allow taking them, that would even the playing field and give athletes the choice. The concern is the potential long term affects on the body and mind. Are they proven one way or another with different drugs? If they harm the person over time, they should be banned. If proven not, they should be allowed, IMO.

It's not right for some to take PED's and others not. That creates the unfair advantage. If they opened the door to allow taking them, that would even the playing field and give athletes the choice. The concern is the potential long term affects on the body and mind. Are they proven one way or another with different drugs? If they harm the person over time, they should be banned. If proven not, they should be allowed, IMO.
People should be treated like adults, imo. If that means a mandatory education program to qualify to take the PEDS, then that is fine.

Don't know about way back in Mark Spitz's day, but today's athlete's, especially NCAA/SEC/UF athletes, they get tested for PED's and other stuff regularly, and especially if they are breaking national records. o_O

As to using the PED's themselves, I don't really care either way, JUST AS LONG AS THE PLAYING FIELD IS EQUAL FOR ALL. :cool:

Reactions: ocalaman
Don't know about way back in Mark Spitz's day, but today's athlete's, especially NCAA/SEC/UF athletes, they get tested for PED's and other stuff regularly, and especially if they are breaking national records. o_O

As to using the PED's themselves, I don't really care either way, JUST AS LONG AS THE PLAYING FIELD IS EQUAL FOR ALL. :cool:

Lance Armstrong was tested for PEDs more than 300 times in his career.

Yep, O'Sul's freshman crop looks as good as it always does. He's a great recruiter... :)

#Gator baseball beat #5 FSU 1-0 in Jacksonville in front of 10,000+. Great pitching from Leftwich, Butler & Byrne. Now they get ready for a weekend series against #7 Vanderbilt.

10,000+ is awesome. Must have been a great atmosphere. I wonder what the split was? That is a great ballpark. I used to go to the ACC tourney there, and I was really impressed with the turnout and the buzz in the crowds.

I give FSU credit for getting behind their baseball team. Hopefully, UF is headed in that direction. I was surprised how empty our stadium looked for the rubber game against Arky, although it was a noon start, and maybe we're in Spring Break as well.

10,000+ is awesome. Must have been a great atmosphere. I wonder what the split was? That is a great ballpark. I used to go to the ACC tourney there, and I was really impressed with the turnout and the buzz in the crowds.

I give FSU credit for getting behind their baseball team. Hopefully, UF is headed in that direction. I was surprised how empty our stadium looked for the rubber game against Arky, although it was a noon start, and maybe we're in Spring Break as well.
Announcers said the crowd was close to a 50/50 split. Attendance at UF is up this year, but still nowhere near what they get at LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss St. But it's still Top 10 in the nation.

Announcers said the crowd was close to a 50/50 split. Attendance at UF is up this year, but still nowhere near what they get at LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss St. But it's still Top 10 in the nation.

Renderings of the renovated stadium look great. I used to catch games for free in between classes (or instead of classes). You could just shuffle right in in your flip flops, sit down and watch SEC baseball for free. What a life.

Renderings of the renovated stadium look great. I used to catch games for free in between classes (or instead of classes). You could just shuffle right in in your flip flops, sit down and watch SEC baseball for free. What a life.
College baseball is the best bargain in sports entertainment, IMO. $4 for general admission, then move to better seats after 3 innings. Can't beat it. $1 on Sundays. Concession prices are still ridiculous, but it's a fun time.

#4 Gator softball surprisingly split a doubleheader Wednesday with FIU (16-19). UF won the 1st game 9-0 in 5 innnings on Ocasio's no-hitter. Coach Walton started sophomore Katie Chronsiter the 2nd game against FIU's ace Shannon Saile. FIU got 3 runs in the 1st, then freshman Natalie Lugo came in and pitched the rest of the game, giving up 2 runs in the 2nd. Gators made 2 errors and only got 3 hits, losing 5-0. This was their first home loss and drops their record to 28-4. Gators play doubleheaders Friday and Saturday against Hampton and Jacksonville, then next week play UCF in Orlando Wednesday, then in Tuscaloosa for 3 games vs. Alabama next weekend.

I was at the rain-delayed baseball game Friday night and sat right behind home plate. Saw the tremendous movement on Singer's pitches. As a strikeout pitcher, his pitch count gets high, but he was overpowering until the 6th when he gave up 2 hard-hit balls, then a solo home run to lead off the 7th. Nice win to open the series, 8-4. Byrne became the all time career leader in saves and while getting 5 outs he didn't throw too many pitches so should be OK to come in today if needed.

The #10 UF Men's Tennis team went on the road and upset #1 Wake Forest 4-3 for the biggest win in a good while for that program.

I was at the rain-delayed baseball game Friday night and sat right behind home plate. Saw the tremendous movement on Singer's pitches. As a strikeout pitcher, his pitch count gets high, but he was overpowering until the 6th when he gave up 2 hard-hit balls, then a solo home run to lead off the 7th. Nice win to open the series, 8-4. Byrne became the all time career leader in saves and while getting 5 outs he didn't throw too many pitches so should be OK to come in today if needed.

The #10 UF Men's Tennis team went on the road and upset #1 Wake Forest 4-3 for the biggest win in a good while for that program.

Byrne is a stud. He’s probably the most important pitcher on the staff, because the starters, as you said, are talented but they’re not always going to go deep. Amazing when you’ve got a lights out closer who can give you three or four innings.

It looks like it's a 10 to 1 bet to me.... ;)
#10 Gator Men's Tennis -- upset #1 Wake Forest,,, on the road! :eek:
This was the Gators first win over the No. 1 ranked team in the ITA rankings under coach Shelton. (so way to go coach - iG) :)

=====

Ocasio - Lugo, combined for a 'Perfect Game' against Hampton. -- The Gators notched their 8th no-hitter and 2nd perfect game of the season in the win against Hampton.
=====

Singer - Byrne shine in #2 Gator's win over #8 Vandy. UF 8 - 4 VU
Brady (6-1) get's the win on 7 innings pitched with 1 run on 2 hits with 11 strikeouts. :cool:
Relief Pitcher Byrne closed out the game to record his 26th career save, a new UF record. o_O
-----
Coach O'Sul on Byrne - "Vintage Michael, he ended up breaking the record tonight. Twenty-one pitches, 17 strikes – that's just what he does. He comes in and gets 2 outs in the 8th on just 4 pitches. He's got no pulse, I don't know how to explain it. We talk about it constantly, all the time after games. Michael was Michael again." :)
=====

#8 Ranked Florida Lacrosse has not lost a home conference game since 2010. o_O
Florida enters Saturday's Noon Showdown against U-Conn on a 24-game win streak against BIG EAST opponents dating back to 2015. -- UF 18 - 4 UConn (2nd - 24:33)
=====

The 74 Edition of the Pepsi Florida Relays in Gainesville:
Florida had a total of 12 times and marks that cracked the national top 10 Friday.
~ The relays kicked into high gear Friday, with the Gators posting 3 NCAA leads.
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...a-leads-as-pepsi-florida-relays-continue.aspx

Reactions: bradleygator
It looks like it's a 10 to 1 bet to me.... ;)
#10 Gator Men's Tennis -- upset #1 Wake Forest,,, on the road! :eek:
This was the Gators first win over the No. 1 ranked team in the ITA rankings under coach Shelton. (so way to go coach - iG) :)

=====

Ocasio - Lugo, combined for a 'Perfect Game' against Hampton. -- The Gators notched their 8th no-hitter and 2nd perfect game of the season in the win against Hampton.
=====

Singer - Byrne shine in #2 Gator's win over #8 Vandy. UF 8 - 4 VU
Brady (6-1) get's the win on 7 innings pitched with 1 run on 2 hits with 11 strikeouts. :cool:
Relief Pitcher Byrne closed out the game to record his 26th career save, a new UF record. o_O
-----
Coach O'Sul on Byrne - "Vintage Michael, he ended up breaking the record tonight. Twenty-one pitches, 17 strikes – that's just what he does. He comes in and gets 2 outs in the 8th on just 4 pitches. He's got no pulse, I don't know how to explain it. We talk about it constantly, all the time after games. Michael was Michael again." :)
=====

#8 Ranked Florida Lacrosse has not lost a home conference game since 2010. o_O
Florida enters Saturday's Noon Showdown against U-Conn on a 24-game win streak against BIG EAST opponents dating back to 2015. -- UF 18 - 4 UConn (2nd - 24:33)
=====

The 74 Edition of the Pepsi Florida Relays in Gainesville:
Florida had a total of 12 times and marks that cracked the national top 10 Friday.
~ The relays kicked into high gear Friday, with the Gators posting 3 NCAA leads.
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...a-leads-as-pepsi-florida-relays-continue.aspx

Love that quote on Byrne. Put Faedo and Byrne on the same staff and you understand why last year’s team broke through.

Love that quote on Byrne. Put Faedo and Byrne on the same staff and you understand why last year’s team broke through.

Well, it's all good and I agree about last year. How can anyone disagree with a Natl. Championship?

But hey, the current weekend starting pitching 3, along with fast closing mid-week depth freshman Jack Leftwich, PLUS Byrne also looks pretty damn-gud to me! :D

Baseball just took the Saturday game with Vandy 10-2. Kowar went 6+ strong innings and the bats came alive in the 7th inning, helped by shoddy defense from the 'Dores. Saved Byrne so he can pitch extended innings Sunday if needed. JJ had 3 RBI's, Bell hit a 3-run homer and the guys just keep looking great. Softball team beat Hampton 7-0 behind freshman Natalie Lugo's 2 hitter and 11 K's. They just finished the game with JU started Friday and won it 2-1 with an RBI single from Kvistad and shutdown pitching from Ocasio after Barnhill started the game yesterday. UF & JU play another game in a few minutes. And the lacrosse team blitzed UConn 21-8.

Women's tennis ran their SEC record to 9-1 by blanking Missouri 4-0. They have a big match tomorrow against #7 Texas in Lake Nona, FL and it's televised at 5 pm on the tennis channel. And the softball team finished up their weekend beating JaxU 4-0 behind Kelly Barnhill's 1 hitter, with 13 K's, running their record to 32-4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT