ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Spring Sports

Freshman Jordan Butler's pinch hit single in the bottom of the 9th drove in the winning run as the Gator baseball team completed a sweep of Rhode Island 3-2.
Amanda Lorenz & Kayli Kvistad got back to back RBI singles in the bottom of the 7th to give the UF softball team a 3-2 win over Kentucky. The final game of the series is on the SEC Network at Noon Sunday.
And the Men's Track & Field Team won the NCAA Indoor National Championship in College Station, Texas today. Another great day to be a Gator!!!

Reactions: instaGATOR
Yep, Gator Baseball and Softball with 3 - 2 'walk-off' wins! :D

Track & Field Indoor National Championships: :eek:

~ Florida's Men won their Division I-leading 8th National Championship since 2010.
The Gators
last won the Indoor National Championship in 2012, when they completed a 3-peat. Florida boasts 8 NCAA Team Titles since 2010—a total that leads all of Division I by 3 during that span.

Florida joins Ark., UTEP, and Ore. as the 4th men's program in Division I history to capture at least 4 NCAA Indoor titles. Head coach Mike Holloway joins UTEP's Ted Banks, LSU and Texas A&M's Pat Henry, and Arkansas' John McDonnell as the 4th men's coach in Division I history with at least 4 indoor and 4 outdoor NCAA titles. Holloway's 8 National Championships rank 4th among Division I Men's coaches since 1970.
Mike also coaches the Lady Gators.

~ Florida's Women scored their 1st Team Trophy (finished 4th) since 2015.
The Women's team secured their team trophy with a 3rd-place finish in the 4x400 relay—which featured a 50.11-second anchor split from junior Sharrika Barnett. The quartet of Brandee' Johnson, Taylor Manson, Lauryn Ghee, and Barnett combined for a time of 3:29.41, breaking the program record set in 2015.

A condensed television replay will air Sunday, March 11 at 7 p.m. on ESPN2, and again at 9 p.m. on ESPNU. A third replay will air Monday, March 12 at 1 p.m. on ESPNU.

All of the meet details can be found here:
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...oor-title-women-earn-fourth-place-trophy.aspx

Kelly Barnhill pitched another shutout with 9 K's Sunday as the UF softball team completed their sweep of #22 Kentucky 4-0. Amanda Lorenz hit a 2-run homer.

Did you see where the Alabama pitcher struck out 21 batters?
Osorio is her name. She's on of the top 2-3 pitchers in the country. SEC is loaded in softball. LSU & Tennessee are UF's biggest challengers this year, IMO, although we don't play UT during the regular season.

NCAA Top 25 - Last Updated 3-6-18

1. Wash 23-0
2. UF 19-1 (now 22-1, 3-0 SEC)
3. UCLA 19-0
4. Tennis-sea 21-1
5. Choke-la-homo 13-2
6. Oregon 18-4
7. aTm 18-3
8. LSU 19-2

9. AZ 15-2
10. AU 23-2
11. UGly 18-1

12. Bay 11-3
13. UA 12-5
14. AzSt 16-2
15. FSUcks 15-6
16. tOSU 11-1
17. Cal 18-3
18. SCa 19-1
20. Louisiana 12-5
21. LBSt 16-4
22. Mich 13-6
23. UK 14-3
24. USC-upstate 18-0
25. McNeeSt 16-5

SEC
2 Top 5's
7 of the Top 13
Total - 9 of 14 SEC teams in the Top 25.
~ Receiving votes: Ark & MsSt

The New Poll will be out soon...

Baseball dropped to #2 in the D1 poll after their 2 losses to UCF. Oregon St. took over as #1. FSU dropped from #4 to #7 after losing 2 out of 3 to Wake Forest. I'm going to the UF/FSU game Tuesday night. Freshman Jordan Butler on the mound for the Gators.

B-Ball, you just need to make it into the Big Dance.

Baseball, you just need to make it into the CWS in Omaha.

Unlike phootball, season poll rankings don't mean all that much.
However, higher is still always better than lower, when it comes to polls. ;)

LHP/1B/OF Jordan Butler 6-0 185 Fr - Tampa
Drafted in the 34th round by the New York Yankees in the 2017 MLB Draft.
Has a long list of HS-AA accomplishments. Can review them here:

http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10731&path=baseball

Enjoy your evening ocala, and safe trip back home. :)

#6 Gator lacrosse came from 8 goals down Tuesday afternoon to beat #10 Navy (a Final 4 team from last year) 19-16. Watched it on YouTube.

My Mom & I were part of the 5th largest crowd to ever watch a Gator baseball game. Neither coach will be happy with their pitching, but UF hit the ball well and won 12-6. Gave up 4 home runs and still won easily. Great crowd, great fun, great win.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
Mike Martin has totally lost it. Last night in the 7th (?) inning, UF had two outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Obvious defensive strategy is to keep the infield deep and get the final out at first. martin brought his infield in as if he wanted to stop the run from getting home. Horvath hit a liner to left, so it didn't matter, but good grief, what was Martin thinking?

Found this on another board:

DJPCI5zUwAEP3St.jpg

Gator softball lost to Georgia in stunning fashion Friday night 5-4. Kelly Barnhill started the game and gave up back-to-back-to-back solo home runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 1st inning. Gators scored 1 in the 1st and 2 in the 2nd and the game was tied until the 6th when Alicia Ocasio got an RBI fielder's choice to put UF up 4-3. Ocasio relieved Barnhill in the 3rd and pitched pretty well. Both teams had opportunities to score but couldn't get the big hit. But in the bottom of the 7th Ocasio gave up a 2-run walk-off HR for the loss. 4 Home runs given up by Gator pitchers is unheard of and yet it happened.

Georgia's women's tennis team hammered the defending national champ Gator women 5-1. Our baseball team salvaged the day by beating South Carolina on the road 7-3.

It's the SEC ocala, so do-do is going to occasionally occur to any team, no matter how good they are overall.
But that worm crawls in both directions too... ;)

#12 UF sweeps #21 Kensucky 5 - 0 in Men's Tennis
The Gator's are now 47-14 all Time vs UK.

And 2 Gators earned AA Honors on Day 3 of the NCAA's in Swimming & Diving.

While5-2 Lacrosse takes on fellow BigEast/SEC-Vandy today at 2PM.
Their last outing was a huge comeback (19-16) win over #10 Navy.
GooooooooGATORS!

This season, Lady Gator Lacrosse is 4-2 vs Top 25 teams.
Their 2 losses were by 2 Pts each, to #1 Maryland and to #8 Syracuse.
UF 17 - 10 #3 N.C. @ Chapel Hill
UF 19 - 16 #10 Navy
UF 16 - 9 #17 Colo
UF 17 - 15 #23 Loyola in OT (Men's B-Ball says thanks) :D

~ After Vandy today, their next 2 games are against #14 Towson and #25 Georgetown, with #22 Denver near the end of the season. That will give them 9 of their 17 season games vs Top 25 opponents. :eek:

I can't believe that any other team in the nation has played a tougher schedule so far? :cool:

It's the SEC ocala, so do-do is going to occasionally occur to any team, no matter how good they are overall.
But that worm crawls in both directions too... ;)

#12 UF sweeps #21 Kensucky 5 - 0 in Men's Tennis
The Gator's are now 47-14 all Time vs UK.

And 2 Gators earned AA Honors on Day 3 of the NCAA's in Swimming & Diving.

While5-2 Lacrosse takes on fellow BigEast/SEC-Vandy today at 2PM.
Their last outing was a huge comeback (19-16) win over #10 Navy.
GooooooooGATORS!

This season, Lady Gator Lacrosse is 4-2 vs Top 25 teams.
Their 2 losses were by 2 Pts each, to #1 Maryland and to #8 Syracuse.
UF 17 - 10 #3 N.C. @ Chapel Hill
UF 19 - 16 #10 Navy
UF 16 - 9 #17 Colo
UF 17 - 15 #23 Loyola in OT (Men's B-Ball says thanks) :D

~ After Vandy today, their next 2 games are against #14 Towson and #25 Georgetown, with #22 Denver near the end of the season. That will give them 9 of their 17 season games vs Top 25 opponents. :eek:

I can't believe that any other team in the nation has played a tougher schedule so far? :cool:
With softball, the SEC is brutal and I know we're going to lose some games here and there. But all of a sudden the SEC umps are calling Barnhill for illegal pitches and it's throwing off her game. She sometimes has a little crow hop after she releases the ball, which is legal in pro & international softball, but not with the NCAA. The purpose of the illegal pitch rule is to keep pitchers from getting an extra advantage with a 2nd pushoff. She's not doing that. Technically, it's a violation of the NCAA rule, but not a violation of the spirit or purpose of the rule. We had a similar issue several years ago with a great pitcher named Stephanie Brombacher and it probably cost us a national title. She had not been called for an illegal pitch all year, but then in the World Series the umps there started calling it. Killed us. Now the same thing is happening this year. The last 2 years, but in pitching for the USA team, Barnhill hardly ever got called for an illegal pitch. But now they're doing it. Sucks big time and it could ruin our season, as I don;t see how she can change the way she pitches mid-season.

And I agree about the lacrosse schedule. The Big East conference that we're in only has 1 ranked team other than us, Georgetown at #25. So the coach scheduled all these tough OOC games to get experience against the best and beef up out resume for NCAA seeding.

Georgia softball killing the Gators 9-1 top of the 4th. Long time since we've been run ruled. More illegal pitches called on Barnhill, plus 3 errors on the Gator defense in the 1st 3 innings. After giving up 2 unearned runs in the 1st 2 innings, Georgia got a leadoff HR in the bottom of the 3rd. Barnhill was lifted for freshman Natalie Lugo and Georgia scored 6 more runs off her. Ocasio dropped a routine 2 out fly ball in the 1st that led to a run and Dewitt let a ground ball go thru her legs in the 2nd to allow another run to score. Both seniors. Things happen and it's a long season, but from watching the game it looks to me like our ladies are mentally rattled and Georgia has jumped all over them.

Saturday was a bad day for Gator sports. Basketball, softball & baseball all lost and the Women's Swimming & Diving team finished 35th at the NCAA meet. Hopefully we can get some redemption Sunday. Softball tries to salvage a win at UGA, baseball hopes to win the rubber match at South Carolina (ESPNU) and the lacrosse team goes after Vanderbilt.

And speaking of corrupt refs - how much did Tech (or the Vegas mafia) have to play those bastards calling the game? :oops:

Example on ref intervention:

Team 1 - commits 30 fouls, but only gets called on 15 of them.

Team 2 - only commits 10 fouls, but they get called for 15 fouls anyway.

Idiot Conclusion:
since both teams were called for 15 fouls each, it was a totally evenly called game by the refs... :rolleyes:

Both times, and in each half that UF was moving out to a lead in the game, the corrupt officials brought Tech back with their foul calls combined with their no-calls. Not only that, but they called bs fouls on the best Gator player and the team leader to keep him off the floor as much as possible. Had I been in Mike White's place, I'd have gotten a Technical foul screaming in a refs face, and then later I'd have been throw out of the game, likely for contact. That might have been the worst called game that I've watched all season.... :mad:

Tech played hard, and they were as rough as the refs allowed them to be, but the better team did not win last night. Their arm bars and stiff arms to the Gator's chests were rarely called, while everything and more was called against the Gators. The coaches and players can't call a spade a spade, but I damn sure can,,, and will... o_O

Last edited:
Sunday was bounceback day for Gator athletics. The lacrosse team edged out Vanderbilt in Nashville 11-10. The softball team salvaged a win in Athens beating Georgia 5-1 behind Alicia Ocasio's pitching. And Michael Byrne got a 7 out save as the Gators won the weekend series at South Carolina 2-1 by beating the Cocks 3-2. Gators only got 3 hits, a triple by India and solo home runs by Dalton & Schwartz, but it was enough.

And speaking of corrupt refs - how much did Tech (or the Vegas mafia) have to play those bastards calling the game? :oops:

Example on ref intervention:

Team 1 - commits 30 fouls, but only gets called on 15 of them.

Team 2 - only commits 10 fouls, but they get called for 15 fouls anyway.

Idiot Conclusion:
since both teams were called for 15 fouls each, it was a totally evenly called game by the refs... :rolleyes:

Both times, and in each half that UF was moving out to a lead in the game, the corrupt officials brought Tech back with their foul calls combined with their no-calls. Not only that, but they called bs fouls on the best Gator player and the team leader to keep him off the floor as much as possible. Had I been in Mike White's place, I'd have gotten a Technical foul screaming in a refs face, and then later I'd have been throw out of the game, likely for contact. That might have been the worst called game that I've watched all season.... :mad:

Tech played hard, and they were as rough as the refs allowed them to be, but the better team did not win last night. Their arm bars and stiff arms to the Gator's chests were rarely called, while everything and more was called against the Gators. The coaches and players can't call a spade a spade, but I damn sure can,,, and will... o_O

Oh no you’re more knowledgeable than the refs?

Makes sense, since you know better than the coaches (unless they happen to support your view), the recruiting services, and science in general.

First, for the ignored and totally useless toilet-goat, the dunny-goater. :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...
=============

And now, back to the thread. :rolleyes:

The #2 Gator Baseball team, 18-4, 2-1 SEC, gets an 'away sweep' @ SCa.
(edit correction, I meant to say they got the 2-1 series, not a 3-0 sweep) :confused:

The Gators #12 Men's Tennis team, 10-6, 5-1 SEC, defeats #20 Vandy in Nashville.

The Gators #6 ranked Lacrosse team, 6-2, 1-0 Big-E, opened Conf. play with an 11-10 win @ Vandy.

The Gators #5 ranked Women's Gymnastics team, look for their 11th SEC Championship Saturday evening in St. Louis' Chaifetz Arena. The league office announced the seeds and rotation order for Saturday's two competitive sessions today. Florida is the No. 2 seed for the 38th edition of the SEC Championships. The seeds are based on the final regular-season regional qualifying scores, available on the Road to Nationals

This is the nice thing about having a full and successful group of Spring Sports teams, there is no real off season, like the 'circle of jerks' have to live through.... :cool:

Last edited:
Rk Team FP votes pts Record previous ranking

Coaches poll Wimmins

1 Washington (23) 781 29-1 1
2 Tennessee (8) 748 30-1 4 :cool:
3 Oklahoma 708 24-2 5:cool::cool:
4 UCLA 689 25-2 3
5 Oregon 674 25-5 6
6 Florida 656 23-3 2:eek::p
7 Georgia (1) 645 25-2 10
8 Texas A&M 566 29-4 7
9 Arizona 538 24-3 9
10 LSU 475 23-4 8
11 Auburn 455 27-6 14
12 Arizona State 435 23-4 13
13 Baylor 412 17-4 11
14 Florida State 379 21-6 15
15 Alabama 361 19-7 12
16 South Carolina 297 24-4 18
17 Michigan 242 22-6 19
18 Ohio State 229 19-4 17
19 Kentucky 219 19-6 24
20 California 203 24-5 16
21 Louisiana 179 18-6 20
22 Long Beach State 142 24-7 22
23 Mississippi State 130 25-4 21
24 Oklahoma State 66 21-6 25

Rk Team FP votes pts Record previous ranking

Coaches poll Wimmins

1 Washington (23) 781 29-1 1
2 Tennessee (8) 748 30-1 4 :cool:
3 Oklahoma 708 24-2 5:cool::cool:
4 UCLA 689 25-2 3
5 Oregon 674 25-5 6
6 Florida 656 23-3 2:eek::p
7 Georgia (1) 645 25-2 10
8 Texas A&M 566 29-4 7
9 Arizona 538 24-3 9
10 LSU 475 23-4 8
11 Auburn 455 27-6 14
12 Arizona State 435 23-4 13
13 Baylor 412 17-4 11
14 Florida State 379 21-6 15
15 Alabama 361 19-7 12
16 South Carolina 297 24-4 18
17 Michigan 242 22-6 19
18 Ohio State 229 19-4 17
19 Kentucky 219 19-6 24
20 California 203 24-5 16
21 Louisiana 179 18-6 20
22 Long Beach State 142 24-7 22
23 Mississippi State 130 25-4 21
24 Oklahoma State 66 21-6 25

SEC
2. TN
6. UF
7. UG
8. aTm
10. LSU
11. AU
15. UA
16. SCa
19. UK
23. MsSt

Big12/10/whatever...
3. Choke-la-homo
13. Baylor
24 OkSt

That about sums it up for anyone not brain-dead and sitting in a dust-bowl...
facebook-smiling-smiley-emoticon.gif

============

Current Director's Cup Standings - 2017-18 Final Rankings are in June.

32. Florida

83. Choke-la-homo
85. Tennis-sea

hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

SEC
2. TN
6. UF
7. UG
8. aTm
10. LSU
11. AU
15. UA
16. SCa
19. UK
23. MsSt

Big12/10/whatever...
3. Choke-la-homo
13. Baylor
24 OkSt

That about sums it up for anyone not brain-dead and sitting in a dust-bowl...
facebook-smiling-smiley-emoticon.gif

============

Current Director's Cup Standings - 2017-18 Final Rankings are in June.

32. Florida

83. Choke-la-homo
85. Tennis-sea

hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif
Gators always leap up the Director's Cup standings when the spring sports are finished. They are so strong in lacrosse, track & field, gymnastics, tennis, swimming, softball and baseball it almost guarantees a Top 10 finish every year.

Gator softball team bear USF Wed. night 9-0 behind Kelly Barnhill's 4th no-hitter of the year. And the baseball team beat Jacksonville 10-3, as The McMullen brothers (Hunter & Kirby) from Ocala and Andrew Baker combined for 8 shutout innings. Softball has a tough weekend series with Texas A & M and the baseball team has a really hard weekend series against Arkansas. Gymnastics team tries to win the SEC championship and the #3 Men's Swimming & Diving Team is at the NCAA meet.

I think they said the baseball team already has about 60% of the HR's they had for the whole season last year with only 24 games played
The power numbers are definitely up for the baseball team and they obviously are a better hitting team than last year. The key to me is pitching depth. Jack Leftwich & Tommy Mace came in as 2 of the most highly touted pitchers in the country. They started off really strong, but have been hit hard their last 3-4 times on the mound. O'Sullivan is great at developing and handling pitchers, so I have confidence he will get it figured out. UF has had super talented teams in the past, but didn't reach the ultimate goal of last year's team. Will be interesting to see how this season plays out, as the SEC is loaded again.

Their problem was always scoring runs or having a full lineup with power, they have about as much as you can now. If pitching which hasn't been his issue stays well groomed, they are pretty tough.

Florida's Men and Women both enter the Outdoor season ranked in the top 10.

While the Men's Team are the 2X defending NCAA Outdoor Champions and are coming off their 1st NCAA Indoor title since 2012.

On the Women's Team, the Gators finished 4th at NCAA Indoors, collecting a trophy for the first time since 2015. They missed the podium (reserved for the top 4 teams) by a single point at last year's NCAA Outdoor Championships.

FLORIDA STATE RELAYS INFORMATION (all times Eastern)
  • Live Results (Prime Time Timing)
  • Competing Teams: Alabama (No. 6 men; No. 25 women), Auburn, Dartmouth, Florida State (No. 19 women), Georgia Tech, Liberty, Southern Miss
  • Venue: Mike Long Track (Florida State University)
For a full Track & Field write up on this, go here:
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...gators-open-outdoor-season-at-fsu-relays.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT