ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Spring Sports

ocalaman

Bull Gator
Sep 4, 2002
#2 ranked softball team opened their season tonight in Tampa beating Illinois St. 9-0. Freshmen Jordan Matthews hit a 3-run homer, sophomore SS Sophia Reynoso had 3 hits and 2 RBI's. Alicia Ocasio pitched 5 perfect innings & Katie Chronister & Kelly Barnhill pitched the last 2 innings. Gators play Michigan tomorrow morning at 11, then Georgia St. early afternoon. Sunday they play FIU & USF.

#5 gymnastics team (5-1) beat #9 Alabama 197.850 - 197.075, a sizable win for those who know NCAA gymnastics scoring. Alicia Boren won the all-around title with 39.600.

#1 baseball team kicks off their season next Friday night with the 1st of 3 games with Siena. Brady Singer, Jackson Kowar & Tyler Dyson will be the weekend pitches this year.

#1 Baseball - M - Defending NC's

#1 Track & Field - M - Defending NC's

Grant Holloway just broke the Collegiate Record in the 60-m Hurdles with a run of 7.42 seconds. :eek:
#6 Track & Field - W
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...record-as-gators-climb-national-rankings.aspx

#2 Softball - W - NC Runner-Ups

#2 Volleyball - W - NC Runner Ups

#3 Tennis - W
#11 Tennis - M

#4 Swimming & Diving - M
#16 Swimming & Diving - W

#5 Golf - W
#7 Golf - M

#5 Gymnastics - W

#5 Lacrosse - W

#12 Soccer - W
===============

The reason that #3 UF does not win the Director's Cup is simple. Each school is allowed to use their best 20 teams (10-M & 10-W) to compile their total points. UF only has 9 Men's sports, so they always go in with just 19 teams points instead of the 20 allowed. Stanford wins it because they are drawing their best 20 out of their combined 34 'Private $chool' teams.... o_O

~ IF 'they' returned the ROTC Rifle Team, UF would likely be able to win the Director's Cup.
But thanks to the local PC 'panties in a wad' liberals, that remains unlikely... :(
============

When College fans say they don't care about anything but phootball, it's usually because they SUCK at everything else. :rolleyes:

Pro sports fans generally have a 'tunnel vision view' which is understandable.
They are a fan of their single pro sport, not fans of their schools entire student/athlete programs. I'm a GATOR FAN, not just a football fan.... :cool:

Last edited:
Softball team beat Michigan 2-0 & Georgia St. 11-0 today.

And our #5 women's lacrosse team opens Sunday vs. #17 Colorado. Fun sport to watch. Game is on SEC+.

#2 Gator Softball - 2017 NC Runner-up:

UF 9 - 0 ILL-St - Shutout, on a 3 pitcher combined 1 hitter.
Ocasio Sr had 5 shutout innings, followed by 1 each for Barnhill Jr. and Chronister Soph.

Graduate P Hannah Rodgers and Lauren Haeger steps up.
Graduate P Lauren Haeger and Delanie Gourley steps up.
Graduate P Delanie Gourley, and Aleshia Ocasio steps up.
With P Kelly Barnhill way more than just ready, when Ocasio graduates this year.
Walton/Rocha have a pitching conveyor belt that's now well established at UF.

UF 2 - 0 #18 Mich - Shutout
UF 11 - 0 Ga-St - Shutout
UF 6 - 0 UAB - Shutout
UF 14 - 3 USF - Blowout -- To finish USF's Wilson-DeMarini Tournament in Tampa.
Combined: UF 42 - 3 Opponents :eek:

You've also gotta love those Gator UT newbees when they step-up and get-er-done.... :D

UT Hannah Adams 5-8 Fr - The new Lead-Off hitter from Hoschton, GA
A U.S. Women's Junior National Team Member and 2017 World Champ.
She ended the opening weekend with 3 runs, 4 hits, 3 dbl's, & 3 RBI's.
She had 1 walk & 1 strikeout, with even bigger and better things to come.

UT Jordan Matthews 5-10 Fr - An All American from Anaheim, CA
She ended the opening weekend with a .462 (6-for-13) average.
She had 10 RBI's and 3 runs scored.
She just might be the next big 'Power-Hitter' Gator.

Next Up:
UF -- UNF - Feb 14, 2018 on SEC Net+

Okla won the WCWS last season, but they 'don't fret-me-none' for the 2018 season. Our Gator's seem to have improved their only minor 2017 weakness (scoring). But hey, we've both got to get there first, and it's a loooong season with a lot of quality teams.

Those dust-bowl swooners will always have the home field advantage (WCWS is Played in Okla. City) but the Gators have won there before.

===============

The #5 Gator Lacrosse
team saw 6 true Fr get playing time to begin their season vs #17 Colo.
With 4 tFr in the starting lineup, the Gator lacrosse team (1-0) opened 2018 with an impressive 16-9 win vs #17 Colo (1-1) on Sunday afternoon at home.
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...gators-to-well-rounded-win-over-colorado.aspx

~ I'm looking forward to the day when the SEC has enough Lacrosse teams so that UF & VU can leave the Big East and come home to the SEC. Vanderbilt is the only other SEC school with Women's Lacrosse. The Big East also hopes UF's leaves their Conf. soon, as the Gators have won the Big East Conf. Championship 4 consecutive times since joining... :)

==========

PS -- 31 Gator football players were on the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Num1gator
Holloway broke the 60-meter hurdles collegiate record last Friday, crossing in 7.42 seconds and shaving three hundredths of a second off the record, set by Omar McLeod, and was part of one of the best 4x400 relays the world has ever seen at 3:02.23.
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...fccca-national-athlete-of-the-week-honor.aspx

Last Thursday, Holloway and teammate KeAndre Bates appeared on the latest watch list for The Bowerman, track and field's highest individual honor. (the T&F Heisman)

I guess there was just to much competition at UF, for both WR and on the track, so WR/Sprinter Schwartz had to go sleep in the barn... :cool:

See all the latest Gator Sports news here: http://floridagators.com/index.aspx

Under the heading of 'Jus-Damn' :oops:

It's looking like Big John Egbunu may never come back for the Gators.
The latest talk is another operation on his knee likely being needed. :(
They can get by without him, but it sucks for him and for the team....

Forced to carry the load. o_O
PF/C Keith Stone 6-8 245 So - 23 starts, averaging 8.2 pts/gm.
PF/C Kevarrius Hayes 6-9 225 - 18 starts averaging 5.1 rb/gm.
~ With 10 Team Blocks vs SCa.

These 2 still need time/work to develop into solid players.
C/PF Gorjok Gak 6-11 245 So - 9.5 Min/Gm in 22 Gms
FT .421, Blk 0.5, Stl 0.0, Ast 0.1, Rb 2.5

PF/C Dontay Bassett Fr 6-9 240 - 5.9 Min/Gm in 17 Gms.
FT .636, Blk 0.3, Stl 0.2, Ast 0.2, Rb 1.2

Bring on baseball!

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- It's that time of year when if you are a Gators fan, your cup runneth over.

The basketball and swimming seasons are on the stretch. Softball is underway and baseball starts Friday. Football never goes away. Gymnastics, lacrosse, tennis, golf, and track & field are revved up.

In other words, there's a lot going on. To help you keep up, time for a links blog:

http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...inks-blog-dyson-emerges-mac-nuss-updates.aspx

Quick Update on the Softball and Baseball teams that are just beginning their 2018 seasons.

The 6-0 #2 Gator Softball team put a 9-0 'mercy killing' on UNF in their 1st home game of the new season.
That SHUTOUT win included another Barnhill NO HITTER. :)

So far in 6 games, they've had 5 Shutouts, 1 14-3 USF Blowout, and 1 UNF Mercy Rule 9-0 No Hitter.

RHP/UT Alecia Ocasio Sr - 3-0, ERA 1.50, 15 SO
RHP Kelly Barnhill Jr ------- 2-0, ERA 0.00, 21 SO, 1 No Hitter
RHP Katie Cronister So --- 1-0, ERA 0.00, 7 SO
RHP Natalie Lugo Fr ------- 0-0, ERA 0.00 - 2 IP, 2 SO, 0 hits.

“We’re 6 games into the season already, and I think it’s been somebody new every time stepping up and getting a nice hit,” Walton said. “I think that’s a nice treat, such a luxury as a coach to have players one through nine be able to hit.”

Team Combined Averages:
Bat % .329
OB % .454
Slg % .534
A.Lorenz .529 -- J.Matthews .462, 2 HR's -- J.Hoover .429, 1 HR

========================

Gator Baseball Pitching ain't bad either with these guys on the mound for 2018:

RHP Michael Byrne 6-3 210 Jr - UF Record 19 Saves, ERA 1.67
RHP Jackson Kowar 6-6 185 Jr
- 12-1 W/L, 1 loss in CWS. ERA 4.08
RHP Brady Singer 6-5 210 Jr - 11-7 W/L, ERA 3.66 - Bat Ave .253
RHP Tyler Dyson 6-3 225 So -
4-0 W/L, 39 innings, ERA 3.23 (CWS ERA 0.63)
RHP/OF Kirby McMullen 5-11 200 So - 3-0 W/L, 22 IP, ERA 5.32
LHP/OF Austin Langworthy So - 17 innings ERA 3.71 - 54 Gms in LF/CF batting .238.
-----
LHP/OF Andrew Baker 5-10 190 So - 18 Gms, 1-2 W/L, ERA 8.03 12.1 Ins.
RHP Nick Long 6-0 195 So - 2017 5 Gms, 1 Start in very limited action.
LHP Cole Maye 6-7 220 So - Played very sparingly, only 3.2 innings.
----------
Nick Blasucci Jr - 3.19 ERA (JuCo xfer in)
Felix Garcia Jr - 4.78 ERA (JuCo xfer in)
With 7 more freshmen pitchers now on the roster. (who steps up?)

Now, if they can just get the team batting average up to snuff, (2017 .259)....

I was reading that the true freshman pitcher, the kid drafted in the 12th round by the Reds, pitched 5 shutout innings in the alumni game, (which sounds completely awesome) against a lineup made up of mostly guys heading to spring training (den dekker, josh Adams and so on). I think he only gave up 2 or three hits. Current Gators won 5-4. I am beyond psyched to watch these guys this year

I was reading that the true freshman pitcher, the kid drafted in the 12th round by the Reds, pitched 5 shutout innings in the alumni game, (which sounds completely awesome) against a lineup made up of mostly guys heading to spring training (den dekker, josh Adams and so on). I think he only gave up 2 or three hits. Current Gators won 5-4. I am beyond psyched to watch these guys this year
That would be 6'6" righty from Tampa by the name of Tommy Mace. With the returning veterans, freshmen and JUCO transfers, this team could have another special year.

The Gator's 2018 Starting Pitcher rotation has been set for this weekend:

Firday - Singer -- Saturday - Kowar -- Sunday - Dyson

That! With UF Record 19 Saves Byrne to cover for the starters. :D

Gator baseball wins 7-1. Singer was in great form tonight. 7 innings, 2 hits, 8 K's, 0 earned runs. Freshman Jordan Butler pitched the last 2 innings and struck out 3. Gators got home runs by India and McConnell, 11 hits total. Nice crowd of over 5200. Beautiful weather for a February game.

Last edited:
I recently heard a baseball commentator talking about the new edition of the Gators. He said that a big part of why the Gator pitching was so effective last season was because of the 7 guys behind them fielding the ball and getting the outs. That was in reference to this years team and the freshman replacements. I'm guessing that after seeing the first game, they might be able to relax a little bit and understand that the new freshmen can also do both, pitch and field, and at least 1-2 of the FNG's can also hit the ball....

RHP Brady Singer Jr - 95 mph fastball, 89 pitches, 62 strikes, 8 SO's, 2 hits, 1 walk, 1 run (given up on an error by the Fr SS).

SS Brady McConnell - 1 Error, 1 for 4 batting with some freshman jitters early.
In the 6th Inning the freshman SS McConnell's one error scored a run. In the dugout after the inning, Singer went over and gave him a big hug. McConnell returned the favor in the 8th inning by hitting a 2 run homer.
"It's hard to go out there being a freshman and starting at shortstop like he did,'' Singer said.

"I knew it was gone,'' McConnell said. "It was nerve-wracking at first. Obviously, I had a bit of nerves going into it and I think I let that get the best of me for a little bit. I started to relax toward the end of the game (after Singer's reassuring hug) and tried to simplify things. I've been playing this game for a while. I just needed to trust my instincts."
~ Replacing Sr SS Dalton Guthrie is no easy job, but McConnell's got this I think. (iG)
  • Drafted in the 33rd round of the 2017 MLB Draft by the Cincinnati Reds.
  • He was a projected 1st rounder, but dropped to 33rd due to his solid UF commit.
  • Rated the 29th overall player in the class of 2017 by Perfect Game and the No. 5 shortstop in the country.
"He's a good player,'' O'Sullivan said. "With any freshman there is going to be some growing pains. It's just part of it. I thought he handled it great. It was good to see him hit a home run at the end to help his confidence."

Newbee Soph. JuCo xfer RF Wil Dalton drove in the go-ahead run in the bottom of the 6th.
And another newcomer, freshman 1B/OF/LHP Jordan Butler took over for Singer in the 8th and promptly struck out the side. Butler stuck out four and walked two in two scoreless relief innings.

A pretty good in depth game write-up can be found here:
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/2/16/scott-carter-gators-get-help-from-new-and-old.aspx

Last edited:
Baseball team beat Siena today 10-2. Kowar gave up a 2-run HR in the first and was great after that. Offense had 15 hits, including HR's by Schwartz, Bell & Dalton. Schwartz, Reese & Horvath had 3 hits each as the Gators dominated.
Softball team beat Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns (#16) 4-0 in the 1st game of a doubleheader behind Barnhill's 2 hitter and 2 run homers by DeWitt & Wheaton. They currently lead 4-0 in the 2nd game in the 2nd inning.
The #5 women's lacrosse team lost a heartbreaker to #1 Maryland 16-14, as several questionable calls went against them, including having a goal taken away due to the refs determining the stick used to score on the play was illegal.

Gator Swimming and the Men's Golf teams are also rockin' along pretty good right now.
http://floridagators.com/

Softball -- In 8 games, UF 64 - 3 Opponents Combined :eek:
It's the 1st time that #16 LaLaf has suffered B-2-B Shutouts since 2007. :cool:

Going for the Sweep (hopefully with a 3rd Shutout) today at 2 PM. o_O
LHP Katie Chronister Soph, should get the start today I think.

Gator Swimming and the Men's Golf teams are also rockin' along pretty good right now.
http://floridagators.com/

Softball -- In 8 games, UF 64 - 3 Opponents Combined :eek:
It's the 1st time that #16 LaLaf has suffered B-2-B Shutouts since 2007. :cool:

Going for the Sweep (hopefully with a 3rd Shutout) today at 2 PM. o_O
LHP Katie Chronister Soph, should get the start today I think.
Barnhill started and wasn't sharp. She went 3 innings, no K's, 3 walks, a hit and an error and we're in the top of the 5th tied 2-2. Ocasio now pitching. Baseball rolling over Siena again, 9-1 in the bottom of the 6th getting ready to add more.

Barnhill started and wasn't sharp. She went 3 innings, no K's, 3 walks, a hit and an error and we're in the top of the 5th tied 2-2. Ocasio now pitching. Baseball rolling over Siena again, 9-1 in the bottom of the 6th getting ready to add more.

Walton should have given LHP Katie Chronister Soph her start today.
Then let one of the other 3 come in for her if needed. (jus-damn coach) :oops:

JMOHO of course, but early in the season the Soph and even the Fr should get some playing time. :cool:

Walton should have given LHP Katie Chronister Soph her start today.
Then let one of the other 3 come in for her if needed. (jus-damn coach) :oops:

JMOHO of course, but early in the season the Soph and even the Fr should get some playing time. :cool:
Baseball team won 19-2. Softball game is in the bottom of the 10th still tied 2-2. Cajun's pitcher has thrown 165 pitches, but has shut down our big hitters so far.

Softball team lost at LA-Lafayette this afternoon 4-3 in 11 innings. Gators made a critical error that led to 2 runs early and Kelly Barnhill just didn't have it today and was taken out after 3 innings. Alicia Ocasio pitched well and the Gators took the lead in the top of the 11th on a 2-out double by freshman Hannah Adams. But in the bottom of the 11th Ocasio gave up a 2-run walk off HR. Tough loss, but a good lesson for a very talented Gator team who had shut them out 6-0 & 9-0 yesterday. Everybody is going to play above their heads trying to take down the Gators and you can't take any game for granted.

Tonight the Gator Men's Swimming & Diving team looks to finish out another SEC title.

Men's Swimming & Diving Team easily won it's 6th straight SEC championship and are contenders for the NCAA title. Senior Caeleb Dressel was the men's outstanding swimmer and according to the commentators has a shot to win 6-8 Gold medals in the 2020 Summer Olympics.

Men's Swimming & Diving Team easily won it's 6th straight SEC championship and are contenders for the NCAA title. Senior Caeleb Dressel was the men's outstanding swimmer and according to the commentators has a shot to win 6-8 Gold medals in the 2020 Summer Olympics.
COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS — Led by Olympic and world champion Caeleb Dressel, the Florida men’s swimming and diving team won their sixth consecutive SEC championship Sunday.

“It’s a fantastic blend of older, experience guys and a tremendous group of seniors and a fantastic younger group that is very together in what they do,” UF coach Gregg Troy said.

Dressel, a senior, won the male swimmer of the meet trophy and the commissioner’s trophy. Dressel rewrote the record books once again this meet, this time setting the US Open, NCAA and American records in the men’s 100 breaststroke with a time of 50.03 Saturday. On Thursday, Dressel set the US Open, NCAA and American records in the men’s 200 IM with a time of 1:38.13.

“He’s the whole package,” Troy said of Dressel. “He’s very coachable and focused in what he does. He’s a real team guy and a tremendous person to work with.”

On Sunday, Dressel set an SEC meet record to win the 100 free in 41.01. His own American record is 40.00.

Another Florida swimmer earned an individual victory Sunday. Senior Mark Szaranek won the 200 breast in 1:51.86.

Florida put the exclamation point on the meet by winning the final relay, and its fourth of the event, the 400 free in 2:47.06, with Dressel, Khader Baglah, Maxime Rooney and Szanarek.

The Gators totaled a stunning 1,237 points to finish more than 200 points ahead of runner-up Texas A&M, the meet host.

“Six-straight SEC championships is a remarkable accomplishment. Well done,” UF Athletic Director Scott Stricklin wrote on his Twitter account.

In the women’s competition, Texas A&M won its third consecutive title. Georgia finished second, with UF coming in seventh.

COLLEGE STATION, TEXAS — Led by Olympic and world champion Caeleb Dressel, the Florida men’s swimming and diving team won their sixth consecutive SEC championship Sunday.

“It’s a fantastic blend of older, experience guys and a tremendous group of seniors and a fantastic younger group that is very together in what they do,” UF coach Gregg Troy said.

Dressel, a senior, won the male swimmer of the meet trophy and the commissioner’s trophy. Dressel rewrote the record books once again this meet, this time setting the US Open, NCAA and American records in the men’s 100 breaststroke with a time of 50.03 Saturday. On Thursday, Dressel set the US Open, NCAA and American records in the men’s 200 IM with a time of 1:38.13.

“He’s the whole package,” Troy said of Dressel. “He’s very coachable and focused in what he does. He’s a real team guy and a tremendous person to work with.”

On Sunday, Dressel set an SEC meet record to win the 100 free in 41.01. His own American record is 40.00.

Another Florida swimmer earned an individual victory Sunday. Senior Mark Szaranek won the 200 breast in 1:51.86.

Florida put the exclamation point on the meet by winning the final relay, and its fourth of the event, the 400 free in 2:47.06, with Dressel, Khader Baglah, Maxime Rooney and Szanarek.

The Gators totaled a stunning 1,237 points to finish more than 200 points ahead of runner-up Texas A&M, the meet host.

“Six-straight SEC championships is a remarkable accomplishment. Well done,” UF Athletic Director Scott Stricklin wrote on his Twitter account.

In the women’s competition, Texas A&M won its third consecutive title. Georgia finished second, with UF coming in seventh.
We know his parents. Used to worship at the same place and lived about a mile from them in Lake Asbury (near Green Cove Springs) before we moved to Ocala. Caeleb was just a baby when we moved. Great family.

Great stuff Ocala, and you beat me to it, but I'll throw my post out there anyway. Repetition is not always a bad thing... ;)

Six Shooter Pete in College Station, TX.
The #3 Ranked Gators won their 6th consecutive Men's Swimming & Diving SEC Championship on Sunday. This title gave the Men's Swimming & Diving Team their 39th SEC Championship in program history, the 2nd most by any SEC team (UK men's basketball, 50).

Senior Swimmer, Caleb Dressel, earned his 3rd Consecutive SEC Male Swimmer of the Meet Award and he was given the SEC's Commissioner's Trophy.

The senior won his third and final individual event this meet, swimming an SEC meet record of 41.01 in the 100 free. He later broke that SEC Meet record with his 40.87 split in the 400 free relay.

So, way to GoooooGators.... :cool:

Josh Adams is out of baseball.

Gator Baseball Pitching has always been pretty darn good, but their offense has been a bit of hit/miss. --- Not so, so far this season.

STANDOUT STAT: 50 - The Gators' offense has totaled 50 hits already through 4 games (50-for-139, .360
23 of the 50 hits have gone for extra bases as UF has 15 doubles, one triple and 7 home runs.

==========

Gator Softball Pitching is already becoming legendary, but batting has been hit and miss. It's cookin' right now! Florida has tallied 15 doubles through the first 9 games of the season.
Last season the Gators only hit 8 Dbl's during the opening 9 games of the year.

If any Gator comes after you swinging a stick,,, RUN! :D

#1 UF 7 - 3 @ #24 scUM :p

No matter the sport, it's always fun to kick the scUM thugs butts... :cool:

The AMAZING Grant Holloway,,, what Gator Track & Field is all about!

"He comes out every day and just grinds," Coach Mike Holloway said. "What do we have today, boss? Let’s get it done. I appreciate that. When we talked during the recruiting process he told me he wasn’t afraid of hard work, because he knew if he didn’t work hard he couldn’t be the best ever."

That (and more) is what being a UF student/athlete should be all about....
https://spark.adobe.com/page/nnutwYLmQp4Jn/

Florida won the 12th Annual Gators Link to Pink
UF 197.725 - 196.875 over #11 Arkansas.

WoW! And just dang.... Senior AA Kennedy Baker is out for the season with a torn Achilles. Baker, who earned her 3rd career 10.0 on floor exercise in her last performance in the Exactech Arena at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center on Feb. 9, tore her Achilles tendon on her 2nd tumbling pass and was carried off the floor exercise mat by UF medical staff. She will have surgery next week to repair the season-ending injury. :(

Good luck with the repair work Kennedy, and thanks for being a Gator! :cool:

http://floridagators.com/news/2018/2/23/gymnastics-florida-wins-gators-link-to-pink.aspx

Last edited:
Gator Women's Tennis Opens West Coast trip with a 4-3 Win over Saint Mary's!

Florida continues its nine-match road swing at Stanford on Saturday at 3 p.m. ET. The Cardinal (4-2) downed UNLV Friday.

Series: Stanford holds the 21-16 advantage in the series between the two national powers, including a 7-1 record at home. The Gators won both meetings last season that included a 4-1 decision in the National Championship match. :p

Go Get-Um Ladies.... :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT