ADVERTISEMENT

2019 recruiting class pointing to major recruiting problems?

Each service uses its own set of criteria, and thus, no set of rankings is ever exactly the same. Recruiting rankings are inherently an inexact science so each talent evaluator is going to have differing opinions about certain players and their long-term potential.

The biggest factor, according to the experts, is a prospect's game film.
This is where the experts can get the best feel for a player's actual ability in the flow of a game. For the majority of the recruiting experts, this is preferred to combines and camps. However, one potential downside is with the rise of Hudl and xOS, recruiting analysts now have to wade through more game film and highlight tape than ever before. (ESPN-Luginbill has a system to avoid the overload)

Rivals.com puts the most emphasis on camp$ and combine$ out of the four major recruiting services. :rolleyes:

ESPN reviews the game film and then breaks it down to a "hit tape," which according to national recruiting director Tom Luginbill, culls from three to four games and is "comprised of really good plays, really poor plays and mediocre plays." Luginbill then uses that information to put together the most comprehensive evaluation for each recruit out of the major services. :cool:

BTW, anyone can pull up the film (which I do) :p and watch it for themselves, while being at all the various camps is not realistic. For the blindly trusting and or the paid $hills, taking the word of others is always an easy/lazy option... o_O

ESPN Recruit Rankings:

Rare prospects: 100-90 [Five stars] - (they hand out the least at only 20 per class)
These players demonstrate rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. These players have all the skills to take over a game and could make a possible impact as true freshmen. They should also push for All-America honors with the potential to have a three-and-out college career with early entry into the NFL draft.

Outstanding prospects: 89-80 [Four stars]
These players have the ability to create mismatches versus most opponents and have dominant performances. These players could contribute as a true freshmen and could end up as all-conference or All-America candidates during their college careers and develop into difference-makers over time.

Good prospects: 79-70 [Three stars]
These players show flashes of dominance, but not on a consistent basis -- especially when matched up against the top players in the country. Players closer to a 79 rating possess BCS-caliber ability and the potential to be a quality starter or all-conference player. Players closer to a 70 rating are likely non-BCS conference caliber prospects.

Solid prospects: 69-60 [Two stars]
These players are overmatched versus the better players in the nation. Their weaknesses will be exposed against top competition, but have the ability to develop into solid contributors at the non-BCS FBS level and could be a quality fit for the FCS level of play.
============

And as I've already said, use whichever underwear service that FITS YOUR OWN BIAS. :confused:

But I'm sticking with the 'Professionals' that have actually 'been there and done that.' :cool:

:rolleyes:o_O

3* Dan finally got his first player in rivals top 250 when the lizzerds flipped Ole piss recruit Black ( my guess he flips back) :eek:

3* Dan currently sits at #35 in rivals recruiting rankings :D

Reactions: _VolFan4675
Well a Rivals 250 commit means we lose Fever and get back insta. Sometimes you just want to pound your head on a rock.

Lol you don't lose my realist talk unti Mullen gets us near the top in recruiting. Heck even 4th in his own frickin conference would be nice. Its terrible for a 2nd class at UF right now.

Lol you don't lose my realist talk unti Mullen gets us near the top in recruiting. Heck even 4th in his own frickin conference would be nice. Its terrible for a 2nd class at UF right now.

A realist can discuss the good and the bad. You disappeared as soon as some good happened, and when you returned you tried to reframe it as bad.

It's seen this act before.

So what he does on the field makes no difference? He gets no credit for an outstanding transition class? He gets no credit for an excellent start to 2020?

He is absolutely correct, you only dwell on the negative. Get a grip

A realist can discuss the good and the bad. You disappeared as soon as some good happened, and when you returned you tried to reframe it as bad.

It's seen this act before.

BS I haven't disappeared from anywhere and our recruiting sucks right now. Heck I said for me to have any hope for this class not to be subpar he needed about 4 blue chippers right after FNL.

BS I haven't disappeared from anywhere and our recruiting sucks right now. Heck I said for me to have any hope for this class not to be subpar he needed about 4 blue chippers right after FNL.

And for me, you suck as a Gator fan, unless you wait until at least Oct to discuss the 2019 class recruiting being sub-standard,,, you know, until after the recruits have seen some actual 'on the field results' from him and his coaching staff with the Gator's 2018 team. I'd really say until after the season and ESD, but for you to suddenly become reasonable is prolly too much to ask... :rolleyes:

And for me, you suck as a Gator fan, unless you wait until at least Oct to discuss the 2019 class recruiting being sub-standard,,, you know, until after the recruits have seen some actual 'on the field results' from him and his coaching staff with the Gator's 2018 team. I'd really say until after the season and ESD, but for you to suddenly become reasonable is prolly too much to ask... :rolleyes:

Keep pumping sunshine Insta. I don't have anything personally against someone doing that but after the past 2 coaches I am going to call it like I see it and not to wait until it shows itself on the field years from now.

I didn't like the Mullen hire but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this season due to him getting stuck with Franks but I am not giving him a pass on this crappy recruiting. Its crazy that a new coach here could have a Rivals class that is 6th or 7th in the SEC possibly. I guess Mac wasn't the only one with recruiting issues.

Keep pumping sunshine Insta. I don't have anything personally against someone doing that but after the past 2 coaches I am going to call it like I see it and not to wait until it shows itself on the field years from now.

I didn't like the Mullen hire but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this season due to him getting stuck with Franks but I am not giving him a pass on this crappy recruiting. Its crazy that a new coach here could have a Rivals class that is 6th or 7th in the SEC possibly. I guess Mac wasn't the only one with recruiting issues.

Being reasonable on judging the 2019 class is not pumping anything.
You however, are a 'sure thing' sewage punper yourself... o_O
I don't know you personally, so I'll just stick to comments on what you post.
Waiting until Oct, or ESD is not waiting for years,,, you twit! :cool:
(but nothing personal there dude, jmoho's) ;)

"I didn't like the Mullen hire" :mad:

And that's exactly where you are constantly coming from with your significantly 'warped' BS.
You claiming to give him the benefit of anything is ludicrous imo. :rolleyes:

The 2018 Class had more 4 stars than any 1st class in UF history.
He has since added several top guys to that class: (3.78 rivals Ave)

2018 Class Late Additions: (not included in recruit class rankings) :rolleyes:

DE/DT Adam Shuler II 6-4 270 rsJr ****- Longwood, FL (WVa Grad-xfer)
WVa - 24 Gms - 67 Tkls, 9 TFL, 4 Sacks, 1 FR

WR Van Jefferson 6-2 195 rsJr **** - EE Fr All SEC (Ms xfer)
~ 8-2-18 Cleared by NCAA to play in 2018

TE/DE Lucas Krull 6-7 255 rsSo **** - Shawnee, Kan - JuCo
2 year Juco Grad that still has 3 years of eligibility to play.

WR Trevon Grimes 6-5 214 So ***** - EE (tOSU xfer)
~ 8-2-18 Cleared by NCAA to play in 2018

Ath/WR Jaylin Jackson 5-9 160 **
(30-5 as a starting QB-dt, CB, KR)

Offers: UK, ColoSt, AF, Army, GaSt, but chose to W-O at UF instead.

#1 LS Marco Ortiz 6-5 230 - Another Rubio 5 Star LS - P-WO

ILB Umstead Sanders 6-2 240 Jr *** - Juco xfer - P-WO

===========

And the 2018 class is the ONLY class that he has signed. o_O
'Reasonable' fans will wait until ESD & NSD to begin to judge his 2019 class, but that won't stop the 'sewage pumper's' from fouling the air between now and then... :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Georgia down to 3rd in Rivals. Knew Jimbo would be a force at A&M. They are already at 25 commits so they will be doing a LOT of processing the rest of the way.
True but Rivals only uses top 20 and we're still sitting at 17 and have the highest per player average. Both of our 3 stars stand a good chance at a bump to 4 stars. TA&M will probably end up around 6. 1 will be Bama or the Dawgs end the end IMO.

Georgia down to 3rd in Rivals. Knew Jimbo would be a force at A&M. They are already at 25 commits so they will be doing a LOT of processing the rest of the way.

Bama has finally found a team that is matching them in recruiting lately and it happens to be an East school not named UF.

Not what you want to hear when you are going to end up battling South Carolina and Arkansas for like 7th or 8th in SEC recruiting.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Bama has finally found a team that is matching them in recruiting lately and it happens to be an East school not named UF.

Not what you want to hear when you are going to end up battling South Carolina and Arkansas for like 7th or 8th in SEC recruiting.

That post was about Georgia dropping.

It was about TAMU and Jimbo rising.

But....you know, you just read whatever you want and create your narrative.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
That post was about Georgia dropping.

It was about TAMU and Jimbo rising.

But....you know, you just read whatever you want and create your narrative.

tenor.gif

True but Rivals only uses top 20 and we're still sitting at 17 and have the highest per player average. Both of our 3 stars stand a good chance at a bump to 4 stars. TA&M will probably end up around 6. 1 will be Bama or the Dawgs end the end IMO.

JImbo is following the Nick recruiting model to a T: Lock down all your commits ASAP, and spend the last 3-4 months recruiting a handful of studs at the top of your board. If A&M has a 10-win regular season, they could land the #1 class. At minimum, Jimbo will likely cut loose 2-3 of the 3-stars he has now, and replace them with 4 and 5 stars.

Georgia has signed 26 both classes under Kirby, so not sure if he can sign another full class this time.

JImbo is following the Nick recruiting model to a T: Lock down all your commits ASAP, and spend the last 3-4 months recruiting a handful of studs at the top of your board. If A&M has a 10-win regular season, they could land the #1 class. At minimum, Jimbo will likely cut loose 2-3 of the 3-stars he has now, and replace them with 4 and 5 stars.

Georgia has signed 26 both classes under Kirby, so not sure if he can sign another full class this time.

Not sure on their numbers but I doubt they can have too big of a class this year.

"Georgia down to 3rd in Rivals". Georgia has been matching even Bama in recruiting since Smart got there.

A&M has the #2 class in the nation and their star average has been about the same as Florida's class the entire time.

Why? Because it will take Jimbo time to develop relationships in Tejas just like it will for Mullen in Florida.

A&M has the #2 class in the nation and their star average has been about the same as Florida's class the entire time.

Why? Because it will take Jimbo time to develop relationships in Tejas just like it will for Mullen in Florida.

Jimbo unlike Mullen apparently can recruit like the other new big school coaches in the South. We seem to have hired the only one that isn't good at it - since Mac anyway

Jimbo unlike Mullen apparently can recruit like the other new big school coaches in the South. We seem to have hired the only one that isn't good at it - since Mac anyway

Hey, what is your opinion on Mullen's recruiting? I believe I've missed some of your post and wanted your take.

You sure are giving Jimbo a lot of credit for something he hasn't done yet at TA&M while Kirby has shown he can recruit in Athens. Saban didn't exactly follow the Saban model last year. If anyone knows the ins and outs of the Saban process, it's Kirby Smart. No one worked for Saban as long as Smart. Saban's advice is why Kirby is now UGA's head coach.

You sure are giving Jimbo a lot of credit for something he hasn't done yet at TA&M while Kirby has shown he can recruit in Athens. Saban didn't exactly follow the Saban model last year. If anyone knows the ins and outs of the Saban process, it's Kirby Smart. No one worked for Saban as long as Smart. Saban's advice is why Kirby is now UGA's head coach.

How did you take my comments as being a dig on Kirby? LOL

Jimbo is one of the best recruiting HCs in the country, and he's now coaching in the middle of the best recruiting base in the nation. Not too hard to tell that he's going to sign Top 5 classes every year once he gets it rolling.

As for Saban, he signed his customary stud class last year, if he had signed a full class it would have again challenged for #1.

Some Georgia fans seem to be a little too 'proud' of your recruiting NCs. I suspect it's a byproduct of not being able to win the real one.

Reactions: TennesseeGator

Jimbo is one of the best recruiting HCs in the country, and he's now coaching in the middle of the best recruiting base in the nation. Not too hard to tell that he's going to sign Top 5 classes every year once he gets it rolling.

As for Saban, he signed his customary stud class last year, if he had signed a full class it would have again challenged for #1.

Some Georgia fans seem to be a little too 'proud' of your recruiting NCs. I suspect it's a byproduct of not being able to win the real one.

Florida is a better recruiting base, so why is it so hard for Mullens?

Not that, but we know what follows number 1 classes.

We were discussing recruiting class rankings.

Yep, And you objected to my saying that JImbo (an elite recruiter) was going to sign Top 5 classes now that he's coaching in the middle of the best recruiting base in the country.

Then you turned around and implied that Kirby would soon be winning NCs because he signed one #1 class.

Kirby isn't Saban, and quite honestly, he's not Jimbo either. Saban has won multiple NCs from signing multiple #1 classes. Jimbo has won a NC without ever signing a #1 class.

Right now, Kirby is just another guy that signed a #1 class and didn't win anything with it. Maybe that changes, but until it does, I'm not going to make the mistake of giving Kirby credit for winning something that he hasn't proven he can.

Yep, And you objected to my saying that JImbo (an elite recruiter) was going to sign Top 5 classes now that he's coaching in the middle of the best recruiting base in the country.

Then you turned around and implied that Kirby would soon be winning NCs because he signed one #1 class.

Kirby isn't Saban, and quite honestly, he's not Jimbo either. Saban has won multiple NCs from signing multiple #1 classes. Jimbo has won a NC without ever signing a #1 class.

Right now, Kirby is just another guy that signed a #1 class and didn't win anything with it. Maybe that changes, but until it does, I'm not going to make the mistake of giving Kirby credit for winning something that he hasn't proven he can.
No... you said Jimbo had a shot at number one class this year and I said it won't happen, which it won't. I said a NC usually follows a number one class and you actually proved that by pointing out that only USC"s number one class is the only one that hasn't.
Look, obviously Saban's the best CFB coach ever, but if you can't see what Kirby's doing at 42, you're blind.

No... you said Jimbo had a shot at number one class this year and I said it won't happen, which it won't. I said a NC usually follows a number one class and you actually proved that by pointing out that only USC"s number one class is the only one that hasn't.
Look, obviously Saban's the best CFB coach ever, but if you can't see what Kirby's doing at 42, you're blind.

I said Jimbo had a shot at the #1 class IF A&M wins 10 games in the regular season. And if that happens, they will get a LOT of bonus interest from top recruits, as I said I suspect Jimbo will cut loose some of the current 3-star commits, and replace them with 4-stars and 5-stars. Doing that will put him in contention for the #1 class.

I think what's gotten under your skin is that you think I am heaping praise on Jimbo and not on Kirbs. That's because Jimbo is a proven commodity, Kirby is not. Kirby is a stud recruiter and he's coaching in his home state where he knows all the coaches and they love him.

Great. When he shows he can leave the state of Georgia and go to Alabama and Tejas and steal the best kids from Saban and Jimbo, then you'll have something.

Again, Malzahn has won just as much as Kirbs has, AND he did it faster. Not saying Gus is a better coach than Kirby, I'm saying that it might be wise to pump the brakes on this talk of #1 classes translating into NCs......until Kirbs shows he can actually do it.

So far he's 0-1. Just like Malzahn.

I said Jimbo had a shot at the #1 class IF A&M wins 10 games in the regular season. And if that happens, they will get a LOT of bonus interest from top recruits, as I said I suspect Jimbo will cut loose some of the current 3-star commits, and replace them with 4-stars and 5-stars. Doing that will put him in contention for the #1 class.

I think what's gotten under your skin is that you think I am heaping praise on Jimbo and not on Kirbs. That's because Jimbo is a proven commodity, Kirby is not. Kirby is a stud recruiter and he's coaching in his home state where he knows all the coaches and they love him.

Great. When he shows he can leave the state of Georgia and go to Alabama and Tejas and steal the best kids from Saban and Jimbo, then you'll have something.

Again, Malzahn has won just as much as Kirbs has, AND he did it faster. Not saying Gus is a better coach than Kirby, I'm saying that it might be wise to pump the brakes on this talk of #1 classes translating into NCs......until Kirbs shows he can actually do it.

So far he's 0-1. Just like Malzahn.
Again, he's 10 years younger than Gus or Jimbo. He's also a better recruiter than either one evidently. How did Gus win faster than Kirby when a) Kirby is younger and b) neither has won a Natty?
You really think Saban's going to coach until he's 80??? Lol, you know better than that. You also know that he's not going to say anything other than that publicly. You're underestimating Dabo with Clemson.

Again, he's 10 years younger than Gus or Jimbo. He's also a better recruiter than either one evidently. How did Gus win faster than Kirby when a) Kirby is younger and b) neither has won a Natty?
You really think Saban's going to coach until he's 80??? Lol, you know better than that. You also know that he's not going to say anything other than that publicly. You're underestimating Dabo with Clemson.

Gus won the SEC his first year at aubarn. Kirby won the SEC his 2nd year at Georgia.

Did you know that up till a few years ago there was a plan in place to have Kirby succeed Saban? It was so far along that they had started hiring Kirby's staff into analyst roles at Bama, with the thinking being that Kirby would elevate them to his staff when he took over.

Saban decided he didn't want to retire, and Kirby decided that he didn't want to wait years to get his coaching shot.

Dabo loves Clemson, but Bama is home. And Saban and Dabo are best buds, Saban will give his blessing to the hire and Dabo will come home.....until Nick coaches till he is 80.

By golly he's learning!!!
Now I know how every teacher, master, professor, etc. feels when they see their students grasping what they are teaching.

I've always said that he can't recruit. I don't mind pointing out Mullen's weaknesses as well as his strengths.

That's what being a realist is all about. Class dismissed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT