ADVERTISEMENT

2019 recruiting class pointing to major recruiting problems?

Nice! Betting we get a few more. That’s usually the case after FNL. That’s what a UF linebacker recruit is supposed to look like, none of those Shannon specials.
I read somewhere this morning that 4* New Orleans CB Chester Kimbrough may be the next commit.

He could save himself with an actual really good 2020 class. My guess at this point is it will be pedestrian for a UF class outside the top 10 nationally and not in the top 4 classes in the SEC unless he makes some changes to get a good recruiter in here. As far as 2019 goes its a done deal we will have a substandard class imo - around 20th or so. I don't even think my former #14 Rivals ceiling prediction is in play anymore. #18 Rivals may be the best case scenario now.

So you prediction for the 2020 class, which is going VERY well, is that it will once again be mediocre?

Yeah man.

You're really a level headed dude. Really take in what's going on and consider it.

That's you...weirdo.

He could save himself with an actual really good 2020 class. My guess at this point is it will be pedestrian for a UF class outside the top 10 nationally and not in the top 4 classes in the SEC unless he makes some changes to get a good recruiter in here. As far as 2019 goes its a done deal we will have a substandard class imo - around 20th or so. I don't even think my former #14 Rivals ceiling prediction is in play anymore. #18 Rivals may be the best case scenario now.

Save himself? From what? He hasn’t coached a fall practice yet. He isn’t going anywhere.

We just moved up to composite #26 by adding ONE player. Summerall and Kimbrough will be soon. A couple others could follow shortly.

So, instead of basing everything of the current ‘19 class rating, lets look at a few other things.

He is likely going to land the best LB class in maybe two decades (better than defensive recruiting ace Champ ever did)? Since the ‘06 signing of Tebow (exclude Newton who was kicked out), we have signed one quality QB in Grier. Mullen has been on campus 7 months and has landed his QB in each of the ‘18, ‘19 and ‘20 class. Thats freaking impressive.

So yes, the ‘19 class is not CURRENTLY where we want it. But there are a lot of signs pointing to some very good trends in recruiting. So perhaps you could relax a little and let the recruiting and heaven forbid the season play out

Yo Fever this isn’t a good look man. I’ve agreed with you on more than a few points about us needing to be better, but you can’t sit here and talk about us wanting to improve and then on a day we get a commit from a guy that’s a consensus too 50 player at a position of need to boot you’re all “so what wake me up when we get more blue chips!” You gotta start somewhere.

Yo Fever this isn’t a good look man. I’ve agreed with you on more than a few points about us needing to be better, but you can’t sit here and talk about us wanting to improve and then on a day we get a commit from a guy that’s a consensus too 50 player at a position of need to boot you’re all “so what wake me up when we get more blue chips!” You gotta start somewhere.

Not his agenda.

He's anti-Mullen.

Save himself from what? The ranting from internet fans that have no idea how recruiting works?

From getting his butt fired after the 2020 season because Gator fans have no hope because in addition to the problems Mac left him here there is no hope on the horizon due to crappy recruiting.

Damn near everyone here and at other sites thought Mac was guaranteed 4 years due to the joke SEC east thing. Things change fast when there is not much hope. Mac would have been gone after the season even without the death threat lies.

Getting in the top 5 in the SEC at least would be that start for me.

Last edited:
From getting his butt fired after the 2020 season because Gator fans have no hope because in addition to the problems Mac left him here there is no hope on the horizon due to crappy recruiting.

Damn near everyone here and at other sites thought Mac was guaranteed 4 years due to the joke SEC east thing. Things change fast when there is not much hope. Mac would have been gone after the season even without the death threat lies.

You're seriously prognosticating 3 years from now when the first game hasn't even been played.

But yeah...you're a "realist."

August 02, 2018 o_O (ESPN Stars and position rankings)

Ath/OLB Diwun Black 6-4 230 - Forest, MS (#4 OLB ****)
Offers: UF 100% - Ark, AU, Ms, MsSt, TN - TX, USCw

Yep, can't recruit a lick, especially since he's not coached a game at UF yet... :rolleyes:
And besides, ESD and NSD have already come and went... :confused:
==========

QB-D Jalon Jones 6-4 205 4.45/40 at Elite-11- Baltimore, MD (#13 QB-dt ****)
Offers: UF Hard Commit - UA, MsSt, Miss, TN - UL, Ore, tOSU MichSt, VaT.

DT Jaelin Humphries 6-3 303 - Lawrenceville, GA - Top 300 (#16 DT ****)
Offers: AU-UGA-LSU-MS-MSSt-SCa-TN -- Clem-Neb-UL-tOSU

OG Riley Simonds 6-3.5 324 -- Buford, GA (#31 OG ***) - way under-rated
Offers: UF -- UA-AU-Ark-aTm-LSU-Ms-MsSt-SCa-UK-VU - 11 SEC's
Colo-GaT-KSt-MichSt-Neb-Ore-UL-Va-VaT

OLB Tyron Hopper 6-2 205 - Roswell, GA (#23 OLB ****)
Offers: UF 100% - UA, UK, MsSt, Miss, SCa, TN - GaT, Mia, N.C. USF, WVa.

OG Wardrick Wilson 6-4 295 - Miami, FL (NR - rivals #33 OT ****)
Offers: UF Hard Commit - MsSt, UK, LSU, Miz - UL, Mich, Neb, NCSt, USF

Ath/WR Ja'markis Weston 6-3 195 - Clewiston, FL (#31 Ath ****)
Offers: UF 100% - UK, TN - PSU, UCF, Fl-Atl, BGSU, Mass.

OT Ethan White 6-5 315 - Clearwater, FL (#11 OG ****)
Offers: UF Hard Commit - UL, Neb, N.C, WVa, Pitt, USF, UCF BC, Duke

FS Trent Whittenmore 6-3 190 - Gainesville, FL (#29 FS ****)
Offers: UF Hard Commit - GaTech, USF, SMs, Yale, Tulane, Troy, Army, SAla

WR Dionte Marks 5-11 178 - Deland, FL (#45 WR ****)
Offers: UF 100% - MsSt - UL, Neb, WVa, USF, UCF, Fl-Atl, Marshall

ILB Jammal Abrams 6-3 224 - Birmingham, AL (#24 ILB ***)
Offers: UF 100% - Miss, UL, Ore, Memp, Fl-Atl, UAB

OLB Jesiah Pierre 6-2 207 - Mount Dora, FL (NL - rivals #29 OLB ***)
Offers: UF -- UGA-UK---Mia-Neb-NC (scUM flip)

Last edited:
Knox had his hand in this flip, and was the lead for kimborough!!! For those who said he wasn't worth a Damn... Seems to be doing pretty Damn good work to me!!!

Reactions: instaGATOR
We are also pretty much a lock for Kaiir Elam a top 75 player in the country and matt elams nephew
And the leader for zipperer and summerrall. Two highly rated 4 stars

All fla hs guys btw

We are also pretty much a lock for Kaiir Elam a top 75 player in the country and matt elams nephew
And the leader for zipperer and summerrall. Two highly rated 4 stars

All fla hs guys btw

And heavy favorites for 4* CB Kimbrough and 4* RB Nay’Quan Wright.

And very near the top for 4* LB Diabate and 4* WRs TJ Jones and Elijah Higgins.

But yes, lets fire Mullen before practice even begins

2019 Rivals top 250: Top 100

#1 LSU
#6 GA
#11 GA
#12 A&M
#14 LSU
#15 TN
#19 SC
#20 FSU
#26 AUB
#29 A&M
#30 A&M
#36 FSU
#37 GA
#40 AUB
#41 AL
#43 AUB
#46 GA
#48 AL
#54 AL
#55 SC
#62 FSU
#74 LSU
#76 FSU
#80 GA
#83 ARK
#86 A&M
#93 AL
#94 ARK
#96 AL
#99 AL
#100 GA

2019 Rivals top 250: Top 101 - 250

#101 AL
#108 MISS
#111 MISS
#114 GA
#120 MISS ST
#121 FSU
#122 A&M
#124 LSU
#129 AL
#131 AUB
#134 GA
#141 GA
# 150 AUB
#156 UF
#157 FSU
#158 AL
#159 AUB
#161 AL
#177 MISS
# 182 TN
#183 A&M
#185 AL
#186 AL
#187 A&M
#188 SC
#190 MISS ST
#198 A&M
#205 LSU
#206 AL
#207 GA
#208 SC
#212 UF
#213 GA
#214 GA
#216 FSU
#218 AL
#231 SC
#235 LSU
#245 UF

That Miami team that was arguably the best of all-time in 2001 and had all those NFL players on it? Hardly any 5 stars on the roster. Point being is that finding players right for your system is way more important than gazing over star rankings all the time. And besides, Mullen has hit it out of the park at the most important position, QB. Florida will finish with a top 12 class by the end of this year and then are already having a stellar start to 2020. Mullen knows what he is doing, we’ll be fine.

Reactions: instaGATOR
That Miami team that was arguably the best of all-time in 2001 and had all those NFL players on it? Hardly any 5 stars on the roster. Point being is that finding players right for your system is way more important than gazing over star rankings all the time. And besides, Mullen has hit it out of the park at the most important position, QB. Florida will finish with a top 12 class by the end of this year and then are already having a stellar start to 2020. Mullen knows what he is doing, we’ll be fine.

They had a bunch of highly ranked blue chippers on that team. Everyone knows Cali 5 stars equal South FL 4 stars at most usually.

Reactions: apreslebain

I don't know how those guys were ranked as highschoolers, but they weren't "right for [Miami's] system." They were right for any system. Off the top of my head, I would guess that more than half the starters were NFL all pros. Agree with the rest of your post.

Here's a graf from SI on the 1998 class:

Quarterback Ken Dorsey, receiver Andre Johnson, offensive tackles Bryant McKinnie and Vernon Carey, tailbacks Clinton Portis and Jarrett Payton and cornerback Phillip Buchanon punched their tickets to Coral Gables in 1999. Once there, they joined a group that included safety Ed Reed (class of 1997) and awaited the arrival of a 2000 class that would include tailback Willis McGahee, tight end Kellen Winslow and linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

Don't be too harsh. He is doing just fine, imho.

2019 Rivals top 250: Top 101 - 250

Who are the people involved in HS recruit rankings?

Luginbill likens it to putting together a list of the Top 100 dentists.

The national recruiting director for ESPN says you wouldn't want someone without a dental background putting together that list, so why are people without a football background involved in recruiting rankings?

"We don't have anybody on our staff, including myself, that is allowed to make player evaluation assessments that hasn't been in the coaching profession at, at least the college or professional level," Luginbill says. "We don't have any writers, bloggers or journalists making assessments on football players."

Luginbill, who played college football at three different schools including Georgia Tech, coached professionally at the XFL, NFL Europe and Arena Football League level. He believes you need to be professionally trained to break down film and know what to look for in order to be an effective talent evaluator.

===============

Huffman hasn't coached professionally, though he did play high school football. He's heard that line of thinking before, but feels his track record over the years proves he knows what he's doing. One of his biggest hits in his career was ranking former Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore much higher than his peers.

At Scout.com Huffman has the final call on the rankings, but takes into account all of the regionally based analysts the network employs. The network tries to meet in-person a few times each year, plus conference calls, to debate player rankings. Typically a regionally based analyst will make his pitch for a player in his region and then the group will try to come to a consensus. The different Scout.com recruiting analysts all have varying levels of football experience.

===================

It is a similar situation at Rivals where Farrell is king.

"We go based on feel and experience," the Rivals expert says. "I've been doing this for forever. I can compare players now to players a few years ago and 10 years ago and 15 years ago and get a feel on their ability based on what I've seen in the past."
====================

Each network has its own system for when and how it updates its rankings. 247Sports updates the most frequently of the four, frequently tweaking its player rankings when new film or information becomes available. The other three have a more traditional approach of updating the rankings on a set schedule, with the last rankings come out after the all-star games.

Another interesting distinction is how many five-star prospects each network has in its current rankings. Five-stars are supposed to be the best of the best and immediate impact players once they land on college campuses. Scout has the most five-stars in its current rankings (37), while ESPN takes a much more conservative route with only 20.

"What we are generally going to do is under-grade guys...it's one of the reasons why you see us without many five-star prospects," Luginbill says. "We try to err on the side of caution. If we are going to call a guy a five-star we better feel pretty confident that number one athletically he can fit the bill, and number two, that he has minimal or no red flags that can interfere with him maximizing his potential."

The whole ball of recruiting wax article can be found here...

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/how_are_recruiting_rankings_de.html

============

Follow whichever best fits your own bias, but I'm sticking with ESPN professionalism.

If you like the 'feelies or the underwear camper$', that's up to you. :cool:

Important distinction between Rivals and 247 that most recruitniks don't understand:

Rivals' recruiting ranking system evaluates a recruit's potential for doing well in college.

247's recruiting ranking system evaluates a recruit's potential for making the NFL.

IMO this is why Rivals is better. There are many a kid who dominated in college and never played a down in the NFL.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Important distinction between Rivals and 247 that most recruitniks don't understand:

Rivals' recruiting ranking system evaluates a recruit's potential for doing well in college.

247's recruiting ranking system evaluates a recruit's potential for making the NFL.

IMO this is why Rivals is better. There are many a kid who dominated in college and never played a down in the NFL.

I tend to like Rivals the best also and they are definitely more strict when it comes to giving out 5 stars than some are it seems. I can see someone using that combined composite score to argue a ranking however.

I tend to like Rivals the best also and they are definitely more strict when it comes to giving out 5 stars than some are it seems. I can see someone using that combined composite score to argue a ranking however.

ESPN and Scout are trash. Any site that uses them in their rankings is immediately suspect.

247 offers composite rankings which averages out all the major ranking sites and creates a score. For instance Kimbrough is a low 4* because, I believe, Rivals has him ranked much lower than the others. That is why I tend to like 247 ranking system

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
I actually think our defense will be top 15 caliber this year. I still think the talent sucks in some spots like LB, but Grantham’s style should be a huge benefit. He’s blitz heavy and loves to leave his corrners on an island which will be great with our corners. If our dline holds up and we play a nice mix of even fronts with all the odd fronts Grantham runs we’ll be pretty stout.
Sorry couldn't resist :eek::D
giphy.gif

Reactions: seffnergator
ESPN and Scout are trash. Any site that uses them in their rankings is immediately suspect.

That’s who instant follows lulz :eek::D

@instaGATOR
There you go.

Each service uses its own set of criteria, and thus, no set of rankings is ever exactly the same. Recruiting rankings are inherently an inexact science so each talent evaluator is going to have differing opinions about certain players and their long-term potential.

The biggest factor, according to the experts, is a prospect's game film.
This is where the experts can get the best feel for a player's actual ability in the flow of a game. For the majority of the recruiting experts, this is preferred to combines and camps. However, one potential downside is with the rise of Hudl and xOS, recruiting analysts now have to wade through more game film and highlight tape than ever before. (ESPN-Luginbill has a system to avoid the overload)

Rivals.com puts the most emphasis on camp$ and combine$ out of the four major recruiting services. :rolleyes:

ESPN reviews the game film and then breaks it down to a "hit tape," which according to national recruiting director Tom Luginbill, culls from three to four games and is "comprised of really good plays, really poor plays and mediocre plays." Luginbill then uses that information to put together the most comprehensive evaluation for each recruit out of the major services. :cool:

BTW, anyone can pull up the film (which I do) :p and watch it for themselves, while being at all the various camps is not realistic. For the blindly trusting and or the paid $hills, taking the word of others is always an easy/lazy option... o_O

ESPN Recruit Rankings:

Rare prospects: 100-90 [Five stars] - (they hand out the least at only 20 per class)
These players demonstrate rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. These players have all the skills to take over a game and could make a possible impact as true freshmen. They should also push for All-America honors with the potential to have a three-and-out college career with early entry into the NFL draft.

Outstanding prospects: 89-80 [Four stars]
These players have the ability to create mismatches versus most opponents and have dominant performances. These players could contribute as a true freshmen and could end up as all-conference or All-America candidates during their college careers and develop into difference-makers over time.

Good prospects: 79-70 [Three stars]
These players show flashes of dominance, but not on a consistent basis -- especially when matched up against the top players in the country. Players closer to a 79 rating possess BCS-caliber ability and the potential to be a quality starter or all-conference player. Players closer to a 70 rating are likely non-BCS conference caliber prospects.

Solid prospects: 69-60 [Two stars]
These players are overmatched versus the better players in the nation. Their weaknesses will be exposed against top competition, but have the ability to develop into solid contributors at the non-BCS FBS level and could be a quality fit for the FCS level of play.
============

And as I've already said, use whichever underwear service that FITS YOUR OWN BIAS. :confused:

But I'm sticking with the 'Professionals' that have actually 'been there and done that.' :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Swamp 247 Recruiting Board - (6 **** and 6 ***)

#3 ILB Diwun Black ****
#7 QB-dt Jalon Jones ****
#12 DT Jaelin Humphries ****
#18 OLB Tyron Hopper ****
#18 OG Riley Simonds ****
#33 OT Wardrick Wilson ****
-----
#40 ILB Jammal Abrams ***
#40 OLB Jesiah Pierre ***
#44 Ath/WR Ja'markis Weston ***
#46 OT Ethan White ***
#52 WR Dionte Marks ***
#53 FS Trent Wittenmore ***
~ How many will move up to 4 stars during their Sr seasons? o_O
==========

ESPN Top 300's: (5) --- (with 8 total 4 stars)

42 - #4 OLB/ILB Diwun Black 6-4 230 ****

205 - #13 QB-dt Jalon Jones 6-4 203 ****

221 - #16 DT Jaelin Humphries 6-3 303 ****

252 - #11 OG Ethan White 6-4 315 ****

298 - #23 OLB Tyron Hopper 6-2 206 ****

=============

JMOHO, but by the end of Sept.(5 games played) we should see the recruiting take off a bit for Dan. ESD in Dec. will make the cake, while NSD in Feb will add the icing. :cool:

Current High Class Ranking??? (the other side of the coin possibilities)

Are there some hidden NCAA freebee violations involved with the recruiting?
(house, furniture, car, appliances, job, hand$hakes, etc) o_O

Are the academic standards so low, or the tUTors so good, that the athletic dummies figure it's their best bet to be and stay eligible to play?

Do those teams current rosters look so bad (artificially propped up by previous rankings) that the top recruits figure that they can come right in a take over the starting jobs?

Is there a ho-slush-fund or a willing cheerleader list made available?

So many questions, and those are just the easy ones to consider,,, there are many others... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT