ADVERTISEMENT

Will Urban Meyer be tOSU coach much longer?

Sometimes the facts don't matter when there's a media frenzy, a rush to judgment and reputations are getting hammered. Just look in the political realm. Facts don't matter - it's all about emotion and how things make you feel. And with liberal institutions of higher learning, even with the big time football machine that is Ohio State, their PC mentality almost forces them to fire the guy.

No it shows your ignorance. That would have been headline material for weeks at a place like UF or OSU. They survived that joke one game suspension simply because it was Miss State. The only big school with a video that bad that it would be pushed under the rug is maybe Bama with how things are now.

You are the frickin child if you think otherwise. The guy is on tape pounding that female like crazy. Much more than that assistant coach did to a female even in the accusations and there is 100% video proof of it happening.

Whatever happened to equal rights? I think its very sexist that these guys are getting in trouble for beating up women. They are strong and can defend themselves. They are equal.....right?

Sometimes the facts don't matter when there's a media frenzy, a rush to judgment and reputations are getting hammered. Just look in the political realm. Facts don't matter - it's all about emotion and how things make you feel. And with liberal institutions of higher learning, even with the big time football machine that is Ohio State, their PC mentality almost forces them to fire the guy.

Literally took the words out of my mouth

Question:

What should Urban have done? Legitimate question

Because I’m not sure firing the assistant does anything more than increase the family problems by eliminating their income, .... but what are your thoughts about what should’ve been done?

Question:

Because I’m not sure firing the assistant does anything more than increase the family problems by eliminating their income, .... but what are your thoughts about what should’ve been done?
At a bare minimum, he was required to elevate the issue to the AD when he became aware in 2015. And with the text messages and photos on coaches wives phones, there was sufficient evidence to refer the matter to law enforcement and/or fire the guy. Can it be proven that Meyer knew then? Or will the wives and other coaches admit that he knew? Maybe we'll find out, maybe not. But I just don't think that, in today's environment, any of that matters. Ohio State has to have a scapegoat to protect their institution and as big a figure as Meyer is, I think he's going to be it.

Reactions: sadgator
Reading the article closely, it's not clear that OSU knew. An OSU-affiliated attorney, their Huntley Johnson, contacted the wife's attorney, but he said he was Zach Smith's lawyer. He said he didn't give OSU any information because it would violate attorney-client privilege. It's hard to believe OSU didn't know, given the numerous 911 calls. But if Urb knew and didn't report it to his superiors, then his firing is absolutely justified. If OSU knew close to as much as Urb., then this is all horseshit.

Idk, this seems like a technicality to me. And maybe that’s enough for Ohio St. to wiggle their way out but if the attorney is “OSU-affiliated” then he’s working on their behalf I’d assume. So like Meyer they may not have known intimate details but they knew of an incident.

Question:

Referred them to counseling, set them up with the University EAP program, advised admin about the situation, and probably at least given Courtney a personal call to check on her.

Question:

The guy had been arrested for it before.... I mean, the cops knew, why is urban getting in trouble when the Athletic director/pres sign off on all assistant coaches. Ultimately they hire him so idk why the hell urban is even getting in a whiff of trouble....im not an urban fan either

If he really did report to his superiors in 2015, he may survive this mess, unless the AD decides to throw him under the bus to save his job.

Reactions: sadgator
For what it's worth, Mike Bianchi's opinion:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...estic-violence-zach-smith-20180803-story.html

And a poster on another site wrote this, which I have copied and pasted:
Meyer sets a fine example for the young men who play for him. Whenever you encounter a problem in life, just lie about it. Then when you're caught in the lie, never man up and admit that you lied or explain why you lied. (After all, there could be an understandable reason for the lie, we've all lied at times.) Say you "didn't intend to speak incorrectly" or some intelligence-insulting garbage like that. People won't care that you lied or why, they won't mind that you insult their intelligence if they have any, they'll back you all the way, as long as you're doing what they like, such as winning football games.
Forget the old nonsense that football coaching is about building character, not just about winning.

For what it's worth, Mike Bianchi's opinion:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...estic-violence-zach-smith-20180803-story.html

And a poster on another site wrote this, which I have copied and pasted:
Meyer sets a fine example for the young men who play for him. Whenever you encounter a problem in life, just lie about it. Then when you're caught in the lie, never man up and admit that you lied or explain why you lied. (After all, there could be an understandable reason for the lie, we've all lied at times.) Say you "didn't intend to speak incorrectly" or some intelligence-insulting garbage like that. People won't care that you lied or why, they won't mind that you insult their intelligence if they have any, they'll back you all the way, as long as you're doing what they like, such as winning football games.
Forget the old nonsense that football coaching is about building character, not just about winning.

Agree that Meyer obviously and intentionally lied in response to the press conference questions. I still think that, if he did report the facts to his superiors, I don't see how OSU fires him, except as blatant scapegoating (which is probably a good enough reason). Where Bianchi loses me is his lack of suspicion with respect to the OSU's administration. "If it's true Meyer reported to his superiors, then why was Meyer suspended and not Gene Smith?" Uhhhhh, because they're covering their asses?

As far as the moral outrage, it's absurd. Of course Meyer's sermonizing about "developing change agents," is BS. He's there to win football games, period. He knows it, the people who hired him know it, and the fans know it. What type of example is he setting to his players? What type of example does it set when you tell a bunch of NFL-bound athletes that they're amateurs and can't be paid and then pay the head coach and AD $10 mill a year? It's all a pretty obvious racket.

Agree that Meyer obviously and intentionally lied in response to the press conference questions. I still think that, if he did report the facts to his superiors, I don't see how OSU fires him, except as blatant scapegoating (which is probably a good enough reason). Where Bianchi loses me is his lack of suspicion with respect to the OSU's administration. "If it's true Meyer reported to his superiors, then why was Meyer suspended and not Gene Smith?" Uhhhhh, because they're covering their asses?

As far as the moral outrage, it's absurd. Of course Meyer's sermonizing about "developing change agents," is BS. He's there to win football games, period. He knows it, the people who hired him know it, and the fans know it. What type of example is he setting to his players? What type of example does it set when you tell a bunch of NFL-bound athletes that they're amateurs and can't be paid and then pay the head coach and AD $10 mill a year? It's all a pretty obvious racket.
Can't argue with anything you said. Hypocrisy is rampant all over the place - media, coaches, administrations, fans. OSU's ultimate decision is going to come down to $$$$ and will have nothing to do with "doing the right thing" (whatever that is).

But he will.

I would agree with you but it seems like somebody has to be fired. Either Urb or whoever he reported it to. Or else they have to go scorched earth character assassination on the wife.

If Urb can get his ad fired and hold onto his job, he goes back to being my favorite.

I told my boss, so go talk to him! And, make the 40M check out to.....

He will survive.

If he reported, they are going to have to pay him a grip to fire him. You can pay off Gene Smith for 3 years cheaper than to pay off Urb for one. Maybe Urb will come out of this the new AD.

Normally I would agree but tOSU fired Tressel for lying about tattoos. I think this is a little bigger than that. No way he survives this.

True, but hadnt the shine worn off of tressel somewhat? I seem to remember there being some rumbling about him and possibly that seat being a little warm? I’m sure I could look it up but I’m fighting strep right now and I’m too lazy.

I think they will keep him now, if they were going to fire him it would have occurred already. The pressure to keep him is now outweighing the pressure to fire him from the people who support the university financially.

The legal ramifications also favor keeping him since there are no means to sue him for his actions. If they fire him without cause they will have to pay out more.

The outrage is one thing but these are the facts that we know of.

1. Zach Smith has been accused of domestic assault.

2. Urban Meyer knew of the 2015 assault allegation and lied about it to the media.

3. Zach Smith stated his innocence, Meyer believed him and didn't place him on leave or fire him on the spot.

4. Evidence has emerged showing pictures of abuse on the victim. The victim has presented texts and stated Shelly Meyer knew of the abuse and would tell Urban.

5. Urban admitted to knowing and lying to the media but claims he passed the information he received to through the proper channels. He said he didn't want to comment on an ongoing investigation. He apologized for lying but assured everyone he did everything proper outside of lying to the media.

So his major offences that we know of are lying to the media, not placing Smith on paid leave or firing him outright when he heard of the assault. Smith said Urban looked at him an claimed he would fire him on the spot if he found out the claims were true. He chose to believe the accuser, not sure if he had any evidence supporting the victims claims outside of his wife's discussion with her.

I don't know what is right in this case, abuse is wrong. I know false claims occur frequently , I don't know how hard he questioned the man.

Legally he may have done nothing wrong, if he passed the information along.

He lied about knowing and that is concerning, it may not be a fireable offence though. If he retains his job I won't be so offended based off the facts outside that he lied about knowing.
If he knew the man was guilty and protected him then that deserves a lifetime ban, there are no facts pointing towards him knowing of the guilt.

I also don't KNOW chit about what really happened.
I trust the 'Fake News' media-morons about as far as I can throw them.
It doesn't bother me at all that UM might have lied to them, sand-baggin' Vince Dooley made a career out of lying to the media. ;)

What I heard was that the crazy bitch attacked him repeatedly and he held her off by grabbing her by the arms. She didn't look beaten and battered in what I saw in the pictures???

The bruises on his wife were on her arms, which seems to confirm his claim???

It would be good 'IF the real abuser got what was deserved' whichever of them it really is??????? :rolleyes:

Let them figure it all out, because in reality, I don't really G-a-S about UM, tOSU, or any of their other coaches or their problems.

True, but hadnt the shine worn off of tressel somewhat? I seem to remember there being some rumbling about him and possibly that seat being a little warm? I’m sure I could look it up but I’m fighting strep right now and I’m too lazy.
I actually had to look it up. No, Tressel went 12-1 his last year at OSU (2010) before the wins were vacated and he had won the Big 10 or tied for 1st 6 years in a row. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Tressel
Strep sucks... good luck with that man.

Will it work?

sweep_under.gif

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
My original thought the suspension was buying time to figure out a buyout or termination. The longer this drags out the better it will be for Meyer. Guessing now the AD goes down and the games get played and everyone moves on..after all it’s all about the”W.”

Either that - or you completely clean house: AD, all coaches, all execs and even the receptionists take a hike.

The point of firing the AD would be to keep Meyer. I’m sure OSU as we speak is furiously rifling through its Athletic Department personnel files, looking for someone, other than Meyer and Smith, that they can plausibly pin this on. HR director in charge of workplace investigations perhaps? Intern brought the complaint file home but lost it when it slipped into the cracks of his car seat? All will be thoroughly investigated.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
The point of firing the AD would be to keep Meyer. I’m sure OSU as we speak is furiously rifling through its Athletic Department personnel files, looking for someone, other than Meyer and Smith, that they can plausibly pin this on. HR director in charge of workplace investigations perhaps? Intern brought the complaint file home but lost it when it slipped into the cracks of his car seat? All will be thoroughly investigated.

Agreed - mostly this is a PR move regardless of where it goes. That's a sad reality in this day and age. Ideally you'd want to find out if there was a systematic issues and try to correct course...or come to the conclusiion that everything that could have been done at the time, was done so. But that's not how things work. lol gotta be a fall guy somewhere.

My original thought the suspension was buying time to figure out a buyout or termination. The longer this drags out the better it will be for Meyer. Guessing now the AD goes down and the games get played and everyone moves on..after all it’s all about the”W.”
Meyer's done as a top tier elite recruiter. The fact is he was okay with one of his coaches being an abuser since 2009. Other elite recruiters are going to remind every mother of Meyer targets of this from now on.

Meyer's done as a top tier elite recruiter. The fact is he was okay with one of his coaches being an abuser since 2009. Other elite recruiters are going to remind every mother of Meyer targets of this from now on.

LOL wut? He's not going to suddenly stop recruiting well because of a controversy, that's just wishful thinking by rivals. Other coaches have had worse controversies and they still sign top classes.

LOL wut? He's not going to suddenly stop recruiting well because of a controversy, that's just wishful thinking by rivals. Other coaches have had worse controversies and they still sign top classes.
What coaches have had worse controversies than protecting a wife beater, even when she was pregnant?

What coaches have had worse controversies than protecting a wife beater, even when she was pregnant?

Dude this isn't going to hurt his recruiting. Yes, it is a black eye now, but he will still keep signing top classes.

On the one hand you think this is going to bury Meyer, and on the other you think Kirby will start winning NCs every year cause he signed a #1 class. Just because Saban did it doesn't mean bowl-cut can.

You need to slack off the homer-aide, bro, it's making you a bit tipsy.

Dude this isn't going to hurt his recruiting. Yes, it is a black eye now, but he will still keep signing top classes.

On the one hand you think this is going to bury Meyer, and on the other you think Kirby will start winning NCs every year cause he signed a #1 class. Just because Saban did it doesn't mean bowl-cut can.
You need to slack off the homer-aide, bro, it's making you a bit tipsy.
Show me where I said Kirby was going to win Nattys every year. You sound nervous like a lot of Bama fans I know. Lol. You should really enjoy these next few years because Nick isn't going to be around much longer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT