ADVERTISEMENT

The Gators Spring game...

What is talent anyway???

The talent was a unit of weight used in the ancient world, often used for weighing gold and silver, but also mentioned in connection with other metals, ivory, and frankincense. In Homer's poems, it is always used of gold and is thought to have been quite a small weight of about 8.5 grams (0.30 oz), approximately the same as the later gold stater coin or Persian daric.

OR

"A special ability for doing something," talent suggests a marked natural ability that needs to be developed.

You're Welcome.... 😁
Don't disagree, but seems to me teams that stockpile talent are winning national championships. If you want to win a natty you better have a top 3 recruiting class. I can't believe that Saban, kirby or Dabo are that much at talent development than other coaches.

Don't disagree, but seems to me teams that stockpile talent are winning national championships. If you want to win a natty you better have a top 3 recruiting class. I can't believe that Saban, kirby or Dabo are that much at talent development than other coaches.
Obviously, and that's why they and all of the other HC's get paid the same.... 🙄

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Don't disagree, but seems to me teams that stockpile talent are winning national championships. If you want to win a natty you better have a top 3 recruiting class. I can't believe that Saban, kirby or Dabo are that much (better) at talent development than other coaches.
Country,

Agree with your comment about talent development !

Stockpiling talent
In the past, with the aid of those yummy McDonalds Bags, they had 5*s backing up 5*s & waiting their turn to play.

But as Paco has mentioned, NIL allows other schools, assuming they have boosters willing to spend the money, to legally influence HS players to come to their school.

Since more schools can & will offer them legal money, more & earlier playing time will influence some HS & Transfer Portal players to go to the school of their choice.

If this holds true, stockpiling talent will be more difficult.
This already seems to be holding true for Bama & Clemson; UGA - IDK

Country,

Agree with your comment about talent development !

Stockpiling talent
In the past, with the aid of those yummy McDonalds Bags, they had 5*s backing up 5*s & waiting their turn to play.

But as Paco has mentioned, NIL allows other schools, assuming they have boosters willing to spend the money, to legally influence HS players to come to their school.

Since more schools can & will offer them legal money, more & earlier playing time will influence some HS & Transfer Portal players to go to the school of their choice.

If this holds true, stockpiling talent will be more difficult.
This already seems to be holding true for Bama & Clemson; UGA - IDK
Don't disagree. Saban and Kirby won by showing up with NFL kids all over the field. Dabo too. But NIL does change things.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Just a FYI...

Clemson/Dabo Team Recruit Rankings: Per 247Sports

20. 2024
11. 2023
10. 2022
5. 2021
3. 2020

10. 2019
7. 2018
16. 2017
11. 2016
9. 2015
102/10

Ten Year Average Class = 10.2, with only 4 of 10 being in the single digits, and only 2 of those single digit ranked classes were in the top 5 (3-5).

This quote ain't recruiting based my boys:
"He can take his-n and beat your-n, or he can take your-n and beat his-n....."

That's not an answer. Why do we need multiple years to do what every other school seems to get done in one?
Clemson has been on a hell of a run it took Dabo several years to get going. Maybe this will be a better year than expected but I would need to see a QB that can win, he doesn't need to win the Heisman but let's be honest we don't have that guy right now. We are headed in the right direction and I'm tired of being mediocre too, we're getting the horses and it will pay off.

By my count it's been 15 years since we were worth a crap. I believe that's a good comparison.
We've had several good seasons in that span...just no consistency. I get it...I too wish for the Spurrier/Meyer years. We haven't had a coach like them and those guys aren't just hanging around for the picking. We were quite lucky to have them. Meyer's first Natty was won with a lot of Zook players too. Zook wasn't a great coach but left a loaded roaster. Since Meyer we haven't done great in recruiting and let's be honest Meyer missed on some guys his last couple of years.

We've had several good seasons in that span...just no consistency. I get it...I too wish for the Spurrier/Meyer years. We haven't had a coach like them and those guys aren't just hanging around for the picking. We were quite lucky to have them. Meyer's first Natty was won with a lot of Zook players too. Zook wasn't a great coach but left a loaded roaster. Since Meyer we haven't done great in recruiting and let's be honest Meyer missed on some guys his last couple of years.
Meyer was a mercenary and did many things I'm not fan of.

But he was a good mercenary, he did what we paid him to do.

Meyer was a mercenary and did many things I'm not fan of.

But he was a good mercenary, he did what we paid him to do.
Spurrier was a once in a lifetime coach...there will never be another. Meyers record speaks for its self, guy is a winner, take him 10 times again.

Evil,

How can you call getting a lap dance in your own bar a character issue ?

Urban's wife is married - but obviously he isn't ! LOL

Jaguars Coach Urban Meyer Getting Lap Dances in Video, Flirting With Girls At His Bar in Ohio​

Who knows what we would have ended up with if Tim Tebow wasn't pretty much perfect and a leader in the locker room.

I don't care if Meyer could get us 5 nattys in a row I don't want to be Da U, North campus.

Who knows what we would have ended up with if Tim Tebow wasn't pretty much perfect and a leader in the locker room.

I don't care if Meyer could get us 5 nattys in a row I don't want to be Da U, North campus.

In general how good you are in football (or what they think your potential is anyway) determines what happens with character issues of players no matter what any of these coaches claim. I remember some people on here arguing Mullen and Stricklin were big on players having good character and Mullen was allowed to bring a 5 star player he recruited at MSU on board despite the guy being on videotape after his recruitment but before enrolling pounding a female into the ground like she was a guy he was fighting.

Reactions: bradleygator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT