ADVERTISEMENT

The Gators Spring game...

I think a problem is recruiting could get hurt on those good players not requiring big NIL if we have 3 straight mediocre seasons. I could be wrong but even with a longer leash he is in big trouble if we dont have a decent QB for 2024 and its really rolling the dice depending on a true freshman to produce that year. Miller is terrible when put on the run and Mertz is what he was at Wisconsin apparently. Maybe some mini-miracle happens and we get a decent QB in this window as it shouldnt affect us if one of those 2 QBs left. Crazy a Kiffin can get what he did when he has a likely starter already there.
Kiffin isn't too bad of a coach, he's just not as good as he thinks he is or good enough to run his mouth like Spurrier.

Kiffin isn't too bad of a coach, he's just not as good as he thinks he is or good enough to run his mouth like Spurrier.

I just cant believe both those guys got talked into going there. As far as our situation now it sounds like if we find a better portal QB the next 2 weeks he has to come from outside the SEC to play this fall because the SEC deadline was a couple of months ago for in conference.

The chances of signing a blue chip QB are next to non existent these days in a transition class due to early signing day.
Paco - Agree;
Fever - signing another mediocre Transfer QB now is a waste of a scholarship.
Last year with Rashada wasn’t his fault either but yeah we didn’t get a blue chip QB.
IMO, when we look back at Rashada, we will find that he was not the answer for us at QB. He may put up some numbers at Arizona State (Pac 12 doesn't play defense) but he will not win a conference title or that many games & would have been mediocre at UF in the SEC.
Napier is gonna have to hold on and continue to show progress and get either Lagway or Simmons up to speed and developed as quickly as possible in order to be successful.
Agree - fixing the Defense & maintaining the running game essential to accomplish that.
The talent level of the team is improving drastically through recruiting
Talent @ QB questionable but Agree overall.
you need a QB to reach and win championships. It is the best recruiting staff we have had since the Meyer regime.
We play in the SEC; CBN improving our Defense will make a huge difference. Even if we currently had a great QB & a prolific Offense; loosing 42-35 is still a loss.
Realize he was a DC at Bama, but say what you want about Kirby & UGA - he transformed his Defense into monsters (see below) which gave his offense breathing room until they caught up.

If CBN able to improve our Defense half as much - running game & even mediocre QB play will allow us the time we need for one of these top HS QBs CBN has gotten verbal commits (hate that term) from to develop.

You have to give CBN credit for the vast improvement in our recruiting infrastructure & the results we are now seeing.

How many HS prospects attended the O&B game - on a Thursday night ?

As I have mentioned numerous times; acting like Mullen & waiting to recruit a HS prospect until after he has had his great JR or SR year will get you nowhere in today's SEC !

The first Big Time offer & UOV (which, with Saben & Smart in the SEC, now has to happen when he is a Fresh or Soph in HS) becomes that top recruit's standard of reference & everyone else is compared to that experience & is trying "catch up" after that.

Several posts in this thread are whining about why is it taking UF soooo long to get back to the top.

We are behind the curve !

Several great coaches (& yes - 2 Natties in a row - says you have to include Kirby in that group) at well funded SEC schools have taken the same steps CBN is now taking - but they started before CBN even got here.
The ones that don't have great instate HS talent & haven't established the recruiting infrastructure that CBN has, are simply throwing NIL$$$ at the problem which we currently can't match.

In case anyone has forgotten

Georgia Bulldogs' defense breaks NFL draft record with 5 first-rounders​

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ense-breaks-nfl-draft-record-5-first-rounders

What an odd thing to say.

On a Thursday night in APRIL?

What else was there to do?

Meanwhile holding the game on Thursday cost local businesses and hotels money.

BONG has already explained to me that Coach wanted the kids home for Easter and I don't care you're going to college for free and I don't hear anyone whining about about playing on holidays when a bowl game is involved.

Paco - Agree;
Fever - signing another mediocre Transfer QB now is a waste of a scholarship.

IMO, when we look back at Rashada, we will find that he was not the answer for us at QB. He may put up some numbers at Arizona State (Pac 12 doesn't play defense) but he will not win a conference title or that many games & would have been mediocre at UF in the SEC.

Agree - fixing the Defense & maintaining the running game essential to accomplish that.

Talent @ QB questionable but Agree overall.

We play in the SEC; CBN improving our Defense will make a huge difference. Even if we currently had a great QB & a prolific Offense; loosing 42-35 is still a loss.
Realize he was a DC at Bama, but say what you want about Kirby & UGA - he transformed his Defense into monsters (see below) which gave his offense breathing room until they caught up.

If CBN able to improve our Defense half as much - running game & even mediocre QB play will allow us the time we need for one of these top HS QBs CBN has gotten verbal commits (hate that term) from to develop.

You have to give CBN credit for the vast improvement in our recruiting infrastructure & the results we are now seeing.

As I have mentioned numerous times; acting like Mullen & waiting to recruit a HS prospect until after he has had his great JR or SR year will get you nowhere in today's SEC !

The first Big Time offer & UOV (which, with Saben & Smart in the SEC, now has to happen when he is a Fresh or Soph in HS) becomes that top recruit's standard of reference & everyone else is compared to that experience & is trying "catch up" after that.

Several posts in this thread are whining about why is it taking UF soooo long to get back to the top.

We are behind the curve !

Several great coaches (& yes - 2 Natties in a row - says you have to include Kirby in that group) at well funded SEC schools have taken the same steps CBN is now taking - but they started before CBN even got here.
The ones that don't have great instate HS talent & haven't established the recruiting infrastructure that CBN has, are simply throwing NIL$$$ at the problem which we currently can't match.

In case anyone has forgotten

Georgia Bulldogs' defense breaks NFL draft record with 5 first-rounders​

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ense-breaks-nfl-draft-record-5-first-rounders

Napier if he doesnt do something quick owns this. Show me any recent SEC championship team or Playoff era playoff team that has a coach that didnt sign one blue chip QB his first 2 classes. Maybe there is one but I cant think of one. Also Napier is the reason that one blue chip QB was allowed to be railroaded over nonsense as he could have spoke up for him. And third Napier chose Mertz even with his history and he chose Miller who it appears is very limited. He owns our situation at QB not anyone else. Other new coaches at comparable or lesser schools brought in QBs that are decent at least. And its on him to get the boosters to do what needs to be done since he has us in this position.

Napier if he doesnt do something quick owns this. Show me any recent SEC championship team or Playoff era playoff team that has a coach that didnt sign one blue chip QB his first 2 classes. Maybe there is one but I cant think of one. Also Napier is the reason that one blue chip QB was allowed to be railroaded over nonsense as he could have spoke up for him. And third Napier chose Mertz even with his history and he chose Miller who it appears is very limited. He owns our situation at QB not anyone else. Other new coaches at comparable or lesser schools brought in QBs that are decent at least. And its on him to get the boosters to do what needs to be done since he has us in this position.
Sam Hartman could have easily inherited the QB position here. Word at Notre Dame is that Tyler Buchner is seriously pushing Hartman for the starting spot.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Sam Hartman could have easily inherited the QB position here. Word at Notre Dame is that Tyler Buchner is seriously pushing Hartman for the starting spot.

We had a few other proven options but didnt get them. It sounds like Auburn is another team in our situation with their QB situation so it will be interesting to compare what each team does the next 2 weeks with the portal.

Sam Hartman was always going to ND. They were recruiting him prior to anybody else while he was still at Wake. There was no other option for Hartman. It was Notre Dame from the beginning for him.

What irritated me some was seeing a team like KY getting Leary and Ole Miss getting Sanders in their situation while we got Mertz. Despite our overall talent advantage if Leary is healed up KY will definitely be in play to beat us again possibly.

What irritated me some was seeing a team like KY getting Leary and Ole Miss getting Sanders in their situation while we got Mertz. Despite our overall talent advantage if Leary is healed up KY will definitely be in play to beat us again possibly.
Leary is out hurt right now and had a pretty major surgery. No idea how he is going to return from that. Missing all of spring football for a new team is a big risk as well IMO. Leary is pretty good but a big risk and I ask myself If he is so good how come the best he could get was Kentucky? Why not just stay at NC State? Both programs are both the same and traditionally pretty average. Something isn’t adding up there IMO.
I’m not a fan of Spencer Sanders. He didn’t even do that well at Okie St in a Mike Gundy offense. He has to be the first QB in quite awhile under Gundy to not put up big numbers playing against Big 12 defenses. In fact I think Sanders had a worse QB rating last year than Mertz.
Unfortunately the portal wasn’t that great for proven QBs this year.

We will likely add another QB over the summer but it won’t be coming from the portal.

Leary is out hurt right now and had a pretty major surgery. No idea how he is going to return from that. Missing all of spring football for a new team is a big risk as well IMO. Leary is pretty good but a big risk and I ask myself If he is so good how come the best he could get was Kentucky? Why not just stay at NC State? Both programs are both the same and traditionally pretty average. Something isn’t adding up there IMO.
I’m not a fan of Spencer Sanders. He didn’t even do that well at Okie St in a Mike Gundy offense. He has to be the first QB in quite awhile under Gundy to not put up big numbers playing against Big 12 defenses. In fact I think Sanders had a worse QB rating last year than Mertz.
Unfortunately the portal wasn’t that great for proven QBs this year.

We will likely add another QB over the summer but it won’t be coming from the portal.

If the football gods were on our side UF would create some Masters course in whatever they have to and get McCall on board or waiver whatever they have to so he could come here. I have a funny feeling Auburn might still get him.

Reactions: PacoGator19

Florida Football: Graham Mertz and Jack Miller weren’t good enough​

The one thing that most Gator fans wanted to see was QB play that at least resembled something of competence. And while some factors out of Graham Mertz and Jack Miller’s control led to a subpar showing, neither guy looked like they were ready to take the reigns as the starter for 2023.

Playing with the starters, aka the Orange Team, Mertz was 10-16 for 143 yards and one touchdown.
Mertz ended 8-13 for 101 yards working with the Blue Team.

Mertz never seemed comfortable running the offense. Part of that could have been due to the lackluster offensive line that was in front of him. But if part of the defense of Mertz from Wisconsin is that his poor play was due to a poor offensive line, he didn’t showcase anything that would indicate he knows what to do when to line breaks down.

He seemed panicky inside the pocket in a game where he couldn’t actually get hit.

He made some okay throws, but he wasn’t hitting receivers in stride, and when he tried to go long, he was underthrowing guys.

He also was clapping way too much pre-snap. (LOL)

Miller was 5-11 in the first half for 49 yards with the Blue Team and only 5-9 for 95 yards working with the Orange Team. He was a little more poised to run with the ball and showed some promise there, but his arm isn’t accurate enough.

He underthrew receivers and looked very similar to how he looked in last year’s Spring Game when he also had a poor showing.

Let's not forget Miller's play in the L V Bowl either.

https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/04/14/florida-football-graham-mertz-jack-miller-werent-good-enough/

Reactions: Gator Fever
If Mertz goes 18-29 with 250 plus passing yards and 200 yards rushing combined from the running backs to start out the season then Let's Go!!!!!!! Maybe have 2-3 passing TD's then we will be light years ahead of last year. Just manage the game and dont do anything stupid to hurt the team like AR did.

If Florida is “rebuilding” again for the second straight year…it is only because the coaches we have hired don’t know what to do with the talent they have and/or are unwilling or unable to supplement the roster with any needed talent via transfers the same way every other freaking school in the country seems to have no problem doing.

I agree on one part of this, the portal has rly good players if you look, FSU is better simply because of the portal. Now, it's taken 3 yrs. Norvell won 3, 5, and then 10 and this yr looks like another 10. I wouldn't totally give up, he's getting good classes but damn he HAS to get a better QB in the portal next yr. You don't sign Mertz and think you win in the SEC. You have great backs, better looking defense (run by what looks like a 19 yr old lol). It's just the offense man and particularly the QB position. If he wins 8 this yr he should be coach of the yr no questions asked

I haven't read this thread, so just commenting after watching the replay today.

If Mertz or Miller is the starter, then 5-7 is likely, 6-6 if they can get lucky, and to finish 7-5 would take a minor miracle.... As always, JMOHO's....

And Brown should xfer out now, before wasting any more time, unless he's just here for the free degree....

I agree on one part of this, the portal has rly good players if you look, FSU is better simply because of the portal. Now, it's taken 3 yrs. Norvell won 3, 5, and then 10 and this yr looks like another 10. I wouldn't totally give up, he's getting good classes but damn he HAS to get a better QB in the portal next yr. You don't sign Mertz and think you win in the SEC. You have great backs, better looking defense (run by what looks like a 19 yr old lol). It's just the offense man and particularly the QB position. If he wins 8 this yr he should be coach of the yr no questions asked

I will say you guys have used what NIL funds you have in an effective manner this past year. If you beat LSU there is a good chance you are alive for the playoff at the end of the season. We got some nice additions but QB is going to kill us I think in 23 and 24 if we dont get a different one.

If Mertz goes 18-29 with 250 plus passing yards and 200 yards rushing combined from the running backs to start out the season then Let's Go!!!!!!! Maybe have 2-3 passing TD's then we will be light years ahead of last year. Just manage the game and dont do anything stupid to hurt the team like AR did.

I would like to be optimistic but I think defenses are going to have their way with us many games. Even if we are way better than the #100 defense this year I doubt we are capable of an 8-4 season with these QBs.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Last years defense, without 3rd and Grantham, finished at 129 of the 131 D-1 teams.....

So, it won't take much to be better this season, will it? 🙄

It was around # 100 at like 415 yards a game which was really bad. The teams at the very bottom were right near 450 yards a game. I am glad we have a new DC and was glad when I heard he was heading to the NFL.

Reactions: gatordad3
So far and it is early so I reserve the right to change my opinion but I’m a big Austin Armstrong fan. That looks like it could be a very good hire.

I've always found it curious people don't hire younger coaches, I mean I get it they may not know every single detail of every single scheme but you can tell the players like and him and he likes being with the guys. They seemed to play hard in a spring game

I will say you guys have used what NIL funds you have in an effective manner this past year. If you beat LSU there is a good chance you are alive for the playoff at the end of the season. We got some nice additions but QB is going to kill us I think in 23 and 24 if we dont get a different one.

That LSU game is a great measuring stick. Our 3rd yr in a row opening against Brian Kelly. 1st game went to OT and the 2nd game the extra point was blocked with no time on the clock that would have went to OT..... When do you guys play Utah? Is that opening week?

That LSU game is a great measuring stick. Our 3rd yr in a row opening against Brian Kelly. 1st game went to OT and the 2nd game the extra point was blocked with no time on the clock that would have went to OT..... When do you guys play Utah? Is that opening week?

We are Thursday that opening week. I think you are that Sunday. I bet the LSU game is another close one. Not sure if LSU will be as good as some people think but they should be pretty good. We need to hope that Utah QB isnt ready in time for us. It would be tough for us to win on the road if he made it back in time.

QB is going to kill us I think in 23 and 24 if we dont get a different one.
Fever,
I see your point about our current scholarship QBs & AGREE !

BUT
Last time I checked, you can't take 2 or 3 QBs & add them together
SO
Why take another QB from the Portal unless he is talented enough to be a starter in the SEC ?

IMO, CBN won't find a QB of that caliber at this point in the Transfer Cycle & that's just a waste of a scholarship.

Spend it on a safety or the offensive or defensive line.

We are Thursday that opening week. I think you are that Sunday. I bet the LSU game is another close one. Not sure if LSU will be as good as some people think but they should be pretty good. We need to hope that Utah QB isnt ready in time for us. It would be tough for us to win on the road if he made it back in time.

Is he hurt?

Fever,
I see your point about our current scholarship QBs & AGREE !

BUT
Last time I checked, you can't take 2 or 3 QBs & add them together
SO
Why take another QB from the Portal unless he is talented enough to be a starter in the SEC ?

IMO, CBN won't find a QB of that caliber at this point in the Transfer Cycle & that's just a waste of a scholarship.

Spend it on a safety or the offensive or defensive line.

My guess is there will be a decent candidate in the portal but we wont sign him. I do agree we shouldnt waste a scholarship taking another Mertz or an unproven QB that didnt gain the starting job in the Spring. I also think all SEC QBs are off the table for 2023 at this point due to the transfer rules. We need to add a Masters in underwater basket weaving or whatever McCall is majoring in and give him a nice offer. :)

2024 QB's
Mertz rsSr - Wis
Miller rsJr - tOSU
Xfer #3 --- ??
Lagway - ***** Fr - IF he stays with his verbal commit???
-----
Brown rsSo-- Has the best physical skills (arm and legs) but he gets the least coaching attention or opportunity imo. He should not waste any more of his time on Napier and GTFO...
>>> Max Brown, a rsFr QB who is also an outfielder for the UF baseball team, threw just 4 (token) passes (in his brief appearances).

JMOHO, but Miller should already be gonzo, or relegated to the deep depth chart, and Max should have been competing with Mertz throughout the Spring and O&B game. But as it is.....

He should have stayed with his C.Mich commitment, or transferred to Wash instead of to UF.....

2024 QB's
Mertz rsSr - Wis
Miller rsJr - tOSU
Xfer #3 --- ??
Lagway - ***** Fr - IF he stays with his verbal commit???
Even if Lagway signs NLI, they aren't binding
Brown rsSo-- Has the best physical skills (arm and legs) but he gets the least coaching attention or opportunity imo. He should not waste any more of his time on Napier and GTFO...
Neither Mertz nor Miller impressed as a passer in O&B game.

In a run 1st offense; IMO, a QB who can run would seem to be important.
JMOHO, but Miller should already be gonzo, or relegated to the deep depth chart, and Max should have been competing with Mertz throughout the Spring and O&B game. But as it is.....
He should have stayed with his C.Mich commitment, or transferred to Wash instead of to UF.....
Insta,
absolutely agree - but neither one of us getting $7MM / yr to be the head coach of the Gators.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Spring games are exactly that. IMO have gotten more useless over the last several years. For example Penn State and FSUs QBs did worse than ours. Remember how good AR looked in last years spring game? It’s good for the younger players and to see if players are competing, etc.

Unacceptable.

Why does Florida need multiple rebuilding years?
Because we don't have the players across the board...I think we look better, win more games but we aren't headed to the SEC game...oh yeah our QBs. Hate to brake it to you but 8 wins this year would be a good step forward. Just because we are 'Florida' is the reason for a lot of disappointed fans for a lot of seasons over the past 12 years. I like the direction of recruiting but we aren't there yet.

Spring games are exactly that. IMO have gotten more useless over the last several years. For example Penn State and FSUs QBs did worse than ours. Remember how good AR looked in last years spring game? It’s good for the younger players and to see if players are competing, etc.

Yea it's tough to gauge, we were missing our top 3 receivers and 2 o line. All the mixing and matching, etc. It's useless imo. Although I wouldn't say J Trav looked worse than Mertz lol We did a spring "show case" vs an actual "game". We did drills and shit throughout.....dumb as hell imo.

Last edited:
Because we don't have the players across the board...I think we look better, win more games but we aren't headed to the SEC game...oh yeah our QBs. Hate to brake it to you but 8 wins this year would be a good step forward. Just because we are 'Florida' is the reason for a lot of disappointed fans for a lot of seasons over the past 12 years. I like the direction of recruiting but we aren't there yet.
That's not an answer. Why do we need multiple years to do what every other school seems to get done in one?

That's not an answer. Why do we need multiple years to do what every other school seems to get done in one?
Because you are only thinking about the teams like TN that do it - not the other 10 that didn't turn it all around in 1-2 years.

Or maybe I'm forgetting that great Miami team who's been getting back to the top for the last 20 years. Or Nebraska etc.

Because you are only thinking about the teams like TN that do it - not the other 10 that didn't turn it all around in 1-2 years.

Or maybe I'm forgetting that great Miami team who's been getting back to the top for the last 20 years. Or Nebraska etc.
We are Tennessee. Or had you forgotten the string of coaches from Fulmer to now.

Not blowing ours totally off because both QBs looked like they did in the past under duress. Its made me think if we ever did have to use Miller against a decent team it wouldnt go well and Mertz isnt going to be a lot different than he was at Wisconsin.

Tennessee looks like that offense will score with no problem most games. Maybe just a slight dropoff from Hooker and not at the very top this season. Our issue is we have all these teams like KY, TN, SC and Arkansas that we have better overall talent than them most likely but they all have QB situations that are likely much better than ours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT