ADVERTISEMENT

The Gators Spring game...

By my count it's been 15 years since we were worth a crap. I believe that's a good comparison.

Yep no excuse for a 6-6 or even 7-5 year 2 record when you have better talent overall than 9 teams probably on your schedule but this is what can happen when you dont get a decent QB out of the portal to correct the issue.

Reactions: fsu939913
We had Trask and wasted him.

Yep it would have been nice to have Trask in 2012 with that defense when Driskel was working his magic. That Georgia game was up there with the best of them when it came to Driskeling.

This defense should be much improved but I doubt it can win many games for us like the defense did many games with our 3 previous coaches.

Strongly disagree or do you not consider 3 NY6 bowls good seasons winning 2 of them?

Imo only 2012 and 2020 are teams I felt like had a chance at big things. 2012 because of defense and 2020 because of Trask but unfortunately they came up short. Mullens first 2 years did show how a defense can elevate a team with bad QB play though. Unfortunately I think we are a year away from the defense being able to really add a few wins for us.

Counterpoint Paco. When was the last time we went to Atlanta and won?
Don’t have to win the SEC to have a good season IMO. It’s by far the toughest conference in football. Only 1 team can win the SEC and you have 5-6 programs that recruit top 10. Winning 2 NY6 bowls and finishing the season ranked #6 in the country are good seasons IMO.

By my count it's been 15 years since we were worth a crap. I believe that's a good comparison.
lol that has nothing to do with the point you were attempting to make. 1 example of a team turning things around by year 2 vs. the other 20 teams that didn't do that - if that's your expectations then I'd hate to see your stock portfolio

It's unrealistic that's all - at least statistically.

Don’t have to win the SEC to have a good season IMO. It’s by far the toughest conference in football. Only 1 team can win the SEC and you have 5-6 programs that recruit top 10. Winning 2 NY6 bowls and finishing the season ranked #6 in the country are good seasons IMO.
That's fine but you did ask.

I think other than the experience for the kids bowl games are meaningless. I measure success by sec cg appearances we actually might win, sec titles (not the east) and national championship game appearances even if we get bent over by the best Nebraska team of the century.

Mind you, I got to UF two years after SOS so I'm spoiled.

lol that has nothing to do with the point you were attempting to make. 1 example of a team turning things around by year 2 vs. the other 20 teams that didn't do that - if that's your expectations then I'd hate to see your stock portfolio

It's unrealistic that's all - at least statistically.
I was talking about us being Tennessee. I'm sure if I actually looked at teams that turned it around one year after a coaching change I could come up with a better example. maybe I will.

That's fine but you did ask.

I think other than the experience for the kids bowl games are meaningless. I measure success by sec cg appearances we actually might win, sec titles (not the east) and national championship game appearances even if we get bent over by the best Nebraska team of the century.

Mind you, I got to UF two years after SOS so I'm spoiled.
That is part of it. Born in 71 I remember vaguely the 0 wins - think it was 79 or 80...

So my expectations aren't quite the same as my younger brothers who are about 10 years behind. You boys were born at the right time haha.

Reactions: EvilWayz
Its crazy how FL has struggled since Meyer and the SECCGs we made except for 2020 were by overall not very good teams that wouldnt have been contenders in the SEC West.

Its why our situation still has me nervous as 2024 starts a whole new situation where you have 9 SEC games and being an East team is no longer a bonus with the rotating schedule. Throw in TX and OK being added in and its literally a blood bath for anyone not at Georgia and Bama's recent levels.

Its crazy how FL has struggled since Meyer and the SECCGs we made except for 2020 were by overall not very good teams that wouldnt have been contenders in the SEC West.

Its why our situation still has me nervous as 2024 starts a whole new situation where you have 9 SEC games and being an East team is no longer a bonus with the rotating schedule. Throw in TX and OK being added in and its literally a blood bath for anyone not at Georgia and Bama's recent levels.
That is why NY6 bowl games and NY6 bowl wins are good seasons. It’s just going to get harder. Spurrier or Meyer could be our coach and it wouldn’t be easy for them either.

Reactions: Gator Fever
That is why NY6 bowl games and NY6 bowl wins are good seasons. It’s just going to get harder. Spurrier or Meyer could be our coach and it wouldn’t be easy for them either.

The only good thing is 9-3 will most likely get you in the new playoff but like others are saying with the new SEC setup that 9-3 will be almost as tough to get as 10-2 in the SEC West now.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Yep no excuse for a 6-6 or even 7-5 year 2 record when you have better talent overall than 9 teams probably on your schedule but this is what can happen when you don't get a decent QB out of the portal to correct the issue.
Fever,

We agree on many items that are posted on this board -
BUT
On this subject (team talent ratings), I must disagree very strongly.

You are what your record says you are !
- Bill Parcells

Our record, as posted on the scoreboard after every game, says that we were not very talented last year.

Claiming we were more talented than 9 of the teams on our schedule is unsupported - yet you have made it multiple times - why ?

Wait - perhaps you accessed - drum roll please -

The 247 - 2022 College Football Team Talent Composite
https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Where, after 4 years of Dan Mullen & his insipid recruiting, the fools on this website sold you the FANTASY that the Florida Gators were #14 in CFB Total Team Talent.
Yeah; Right ?

Where was the DEFENSIVE talent - Dexter the only DL worth talking about; where was the QB talent - AR heading to the NFL right now because another year like this one & he would be just another undrafted free agent.

According to 247, we had more talent than -
FSU, Tenn, KY, & way more than Vandy -
BUT
We lost to all of them !
Why ?

IMO, these websites are guessing - just like everybody else & posting "CLICK BAIT" - to sell memberships & enhance ad revenues.

I'm curious -
Is a player's 247 Composite only calculated once - while in HS ?

Can a player improve his talent during the course of a season or during the course of his career.

Has a player ever been over rated ?

Is "total team talent" a meaningful metric ?
or
is the talent level of the players who actually play in a particular game more important ?

Is team talent an absolute; a constant for every game - from the 1st to the last game of the season
OR
does it rise & fall based on injuries & who is actually in the starting lineup & getting the game snaps ?

Do you think that the highly subjective "Player Ratings" - which are amalgamated into the team rankings - are made by humans & perhaps, subject to errors ?

The only talent indicator that counts is the SCOREBOARD
- the results of the games as played on the field !

JUST BEATING THE DEAD HORSE/GATOR DURING TALKING SEASON..... 🙄

Florida's underwhelming spring game in which the teams combined for just 17 total points, the fewest in the history of the event at the university.
>>> Where QB Max Brown got so few snaps that they might just as well have not played him at all.....

Instead, QB's Mertz and Miller highlighted the team's lackluster offense, which does not yet have its starting quarterback determined. They are tied, they both suck wind.... 🤓

Billy tried to excuse Mertz/Miller because of breakdowns in the pocket, while he ignores the QB that has the strongest arm for off-platform throws, and also had these rushing stats behind a way less that perfect HS OL:
Junior - 154 for 992 Yds, 6.4 YPC, 13 TD's, 1 LPF
Senior - 173 for 1,343 yds, 7.8 ypc, 20 TD's, ZERO fumbles.

Billy continues to mostly ignore the 'diamond in the rough' on his roster, to instead focus on loser transfer QB's that he's picked up from elsewhere, and he intends to continue with that (imo) loser plan by taking a 3rd xfer QB between now and Fall practice.... 😠
What is it called when you continue with your same failed (2yr) efforts, while expecting to get different results??? 🙄

"I think that both guys did some good things, and I think there was going to be a lot of things that each guy can learn from, we have really good film that we have an opportunity to teach from." --- CBN

"And he's so confident in the learning process of those 2 xfers, that he intends to bring in a 3rd loser xfer QB ASAP,,, IF THAT MAKES SENSE...." iG

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Paco,

EDIT
I originally posted that I didn't think that a NY6 Bowl will continue to be the mark of excellence it currently is.

I forgot to consider that some of the current top tier Bowl (NY6) games will be absorbed (subsumed) into the CFP & host quarter final CFP games.

A NY6 Bowl game will continue to be a good year. since you have to first make it into the CFP to play in a NY6.

This could change - but according to once source I found (see below); here are some dates for 2024.
  • The 2024 first round will happen the week ending Saturday, Dec. 21 at the home field of the higher seed or at another site determined by the higher seed. Specific game dates will be announced later. The matchups would be No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7 and No. 9 at No. 8.
  • For 2024 and 2025, the quarterfinal rounds and the semifinal games will be played at rotated bowls
    • 2024 quarterfinals: Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl
    • 2024 semifinals: Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl
The 2024 national championship game will be held on Jan. 20, 2025, in Atlanta.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...-playoff-expand-12-teams-starting-2024-season

As you, Paco, & several other posters have pointed out, the new 9 game SEC schedule, will cost every conference team an easy OOC win.

While the NY6 Bowl games will host 1/4 final or semi final CFP games; the other bowls will have serious problems.

They will have to either open their door to an influx of teams from the Group of 5 conferences & independents or take power 5 schools with mediocre records.

Cities like Orlando (Cheese It, Citrus, & Cure) & Tampa (Tampa Bay & Gasparilla Bowl) which are now hosting multiple bowl games in the same stadium will probably have to drop one of their bowl games.

Last edited:
Fever,

We agree on many items that are posted on this board -
BUT
On this subject (team talent ratings), I must disagree very strongly.

You are what your record says you are !
- Bill Parcells

Our record, as posted on the scoreboard after every game, says that we were not very talented last year.

Claiming we were more talented than 9 of the teams on our schedule is unsupported - yet you have made it multiple times - why ?

Wait - perhaps you accessed - drum roll please -

The 247 - 2022 College Football Team Talent Composite
https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Where, after 4 years of Dan Mullen & his insipid recruiting, the fools on this website sold you the FANTASY that the Florida Gators were #14 in CFB Total Team Talent.
Yeah; Right ?

Where was the DEFENSIVE talent - Dexter the only DL worth talking about; where was the QB talent - AR heading to the NFL right now because another year like this one & he would be just another undrafted free agent.

According to 247, we had more talent than -
FSU, Tenn, KY, & way more than Vandy -
BUT
We lost to all of them !
Why ?

IMO, these websites are guessing - just like everybody else & posting "CLICK BAIT" - to sell memberships & enhance ad revenues.

I'm curious -
Is a player's 247 Composite only calculated once - while in HS ?

Can a player improve his talent during the course of a season or during the course of his career.

Has a player ever been over rated ?

Is "total team talent" a meaningful metric ?
or
is the talent level of the players who actually play in a particular game more important ?

Is team talent an absolute; a constant for every game - from the 1st to the last game of the season
OR
does it rise & fall based on injuries & who is actually in the starting lineup & getting the game snaps ?

Do you think that the highly subjective "Player Ratings" - which are amalgamated into the team rankings - are made by humans & perhaps, subject to errors ?

The only talent indicator that counts is the SCOREBOARD
- the results of the games as played on the field !

Disagree with you. A QB can take a decently talented team from 6-6 or 7-5 to 8-4 or 9-3 and vice versa. If we got someone like Leary we would be a threat for 8-4 or 9-3 imo

Disagree with you. A QB can take a decently talented team from 6-6 or 7-5 to 8-4 or 9-3 and vice vera. If we got someone like Leary we would be a threat for 8-4 or 9-3 imo
Fever,

If that happens the scoreboard will reflect it.

What you are saying is that UF - in your eyes, was a more talented team that lost to several less talented teams last season.

I was at a loss as to how you determined UF was a more talented team before the game was played.

IMO, If another team beats UF; then IPSO FACTO - they are more talented than UF.

Interesting to see if Devin Leary recovers from his injury.

Fever,

What you are saying is that UF - in your eyes, was a more talented team that lost to several less talented teams last season.

I was at a loss as to how you determined UF was a more talented team before the game was played.

IMO, If another team beats UF; then IPSO FACTO - they are more talented than UF.

We have more talent than Tenn they whipped us because of their offensive system and QB.

If Tenn, KY, SC, Utah or Arkansas beat us this year it will be due to us having a pedestrian QB.

We have more talent than Tenn they whipped us because of their offensive system and QB.

If Tenn, KY, SC, Utah or Arkansas beat us this year it will be due to us having a pedestrian QB.
More likely several of them....
Mertz
Miller
Summer 3td QB xfer pickup....
---
And with Lagway coming in 2024, Nappy has done a MAJOR DIS-SERVICE to Mac Brown imo, by flipping him to UF and stringing him along, instead of leaving him to play elsewhere.... 😒

Mertz
Miller
---
And with Lagway coming in 2024, Nappy has done a MAJOR DIS-SERVICE to Mac Brown imo, by flipping him to UF and stringing him along, instead of leaving him to play elsewhere.... 😒

Just hoping we rectify this for 2024 at least. You cant count on a true freshman usually.

Fever,

The most talented team doesn't always win tho. Discipline/coaching/playing smart/etc all factor in. You can have loads of talent and lose big (see Willie Taggart at free shoes U)

The most talented team doesn't always win tho. Discipline/coaching/playing smart/etc all factor in. You can have loads of talent and lose big (see Willie Taggart at free shoes U)

QB is huge though. You do have some situations like Bama last year where things didnt fall right even with the better QB though.

Reactions: fsu939913
QB is huge though. You do have some situations like Bama last year where things didnt fall right even with the better QB though.

I agree. Team with the better QB has the advantage like 90% of the time, now how big that advantage is depends on a lot of other things.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Mertz
Miller
---
Consensus is Brown looked like crap all spring. Change of scenery to a mid major is probably what he needs.

Leary is out hurt right now and had a pretty major surgery. No idea how he is going to return from that. Missing all of spring football for a new team is a big risk as well IMO. Leary is pretty good but a big risk and I ask myself If he is so good how come the best he could get was Kentucky? Why not just stay at NC State? Both programs are both the same and traditionally pretty average. Something isn’t adding up there IMO.
I’m not a fan of Spencer Sanders. He didn’t even do that well at Okie St in a Mike Gundy offense. He has to be the first QB in quite awhile under Gundy to not put up big numbers playing against Big 12 defenses. In fact I think Sanders had a worse QB rating last year than Mertz.
Unfortunately the portal wasn’t that great for proven QBs this year.

We will likely add another QB over the summer but it won’t be coming from the portal.
I think leary goes to Kentucky bc of the attention levis got. I can’t remember the last bc state QB to be drafted that in the first round, and success at the SEC gets a lot of eyeballs.

This is what I have been hearing as well. Do not expect a Trask like phenomenon with him. He’s 3rd string for a reason. That could very well could be 4th string by the time fall camp starts

Are one of the new walk-ons doing alright? I noticed Engel wasn't listed for the Spring game. Wondering if he has dropped down from 4th in the pecking order.

Are one of the new walk-ons doing alright? I noticed Engel wasn't listed for the Spring game. Wondering if he has dropped down from 4th in the pecking order.
No…I’m thinking another QB is coming in that would drop him to 4th string.

Fever,

To make sure I understand you; I am rephrasing your comments -

Last year -
Tenn had the Talent to effectively run Josh Heupel's offensive system
AND
the Gators SUCKED (had very little Talent) on Defense

This year -
If the QB for Tenn, KY, SC, Utah or Arkansas is less pedestrian than the QB for UF (likely true I agree !) -
Then they are more talented than UF at the QB1 position - right ?

Last edited:
Numbers,

"The most talented team doesn't always win tho."

I don't believe that - the scoreboard doesn't lie.

It unequivocally says that at one particular time & place - one team had more talent than another & won the game.

I also believe that talent, as evaluated at one fixed moment in time - in HS, isn't set in stone for all time.

It ebbs & flows during a game, a season, & a career & it is evaluated against the environment you play in.

That why comparing players from different eras is so difficult - a 5* player from 1990 would not be a 5* player today.

I have always thought that Discipline/coaching/playing smart/etc was the result of having a talented HC & Coaching staff.

I don't think you can separate the talent of the coaching staff from the talent of the players.

My main issue is that I see no way to develop a "team talent index" from subjective assessments, made by multiple people with variegated skill sets, while the player was in HS & then insist that this is the one & only measure of that player - that it will neither increase nor decrease during his CFB career.

If the talent of the coaching staff is meaningless & not an integral part of the team's total talent- why pay big money for coaches to develop & increase the players' talents ?

Why not just put them in uniforms & send them out to play sandlot football in front of 80 K people ?

All you would need is an equipment manager & UF would save
$10 MM / year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Consensus is Brown looked like crap all spring. Change of scenery to a mid major is probably what he needs.
Mertz -- Miller - Summer 3td QB xfer pickup....

Numbers,

"The most talented team doesn't always win tho."

I don't believe that - the scoreboard doesn't lie.

It unequivocally says that at one particular time & place - one team had more talent than another & won the game.

I also believe that talent, as evaluated at one fixed moment in time - in HS, isn't set in stone for all time.

It ebbs & flows during a game, a season, & a career & it is evaluated against the environment you play in.

That why comparing players from different eras is so difficult - a 5* player from 1990 would not be a 5* player today.

I have always thought that Discipline/coaching/playing smart/etc was the result of having a talented HC & Coaching staff.

I don't think you can separate the talent of the coaching staff from the talent of the players.

My main issue is that I see no way to develop a "team talent index" from subjective assessments, made by multiple people with variegated skill sets, while the player was in HS & then insist that this is the one & only measure of that player - that it will neither increase nor decrease during his CFB career.

If the talent of the coaching staff is meaningless & not an integral part of the team's total talent- why pay big money for coaches to develop & increase the players' talents ?

Why not just put them in uniforms & send them out to play sandlot football in front of 80 K people ?

All you would need is an equipment manager & UF would save
$10 MM / year.

I think talent should be defined over long periods of time. A game is very short and talented players can have bad days. If Jordan shot 6 for 20 one day and 17 for 20 the next, I don't think he gained or lost talent between those 2 games, he just had an off day. His season avg would show the talent to a greater extent. I see what you are saying but I just think other factors play heavily on small sample sizes (like games).

What is talent anyway???

The talent was a unit of weight used in the ancient world, often used for weighing gold and silver, but also mentioned in connection with other metals, ivory, and frankincense. In Homer's poems, it is always used of gold and is thought to have been quite a small weight of about 8.5 grams (0.30 oz), approximately the same as the later gold stater coin or Persian daric.

OR

"A special ability for doing something," talent suggests a marked natural ability that needs to be developed.

You're Welcome.... 😁

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT