ADVERTISEMENT

So, what do you think of the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FresnoGator

Jan 23, 2005
Indian Wells, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
It's been about 6 weeks since we've been spammed with countless yahoo news articles.

Feels to me like a little bit more of an echo chamber, but there are a few still fighting the good fight.

The one thing I really liked about the yahoo articles was that the subject line made it very clear what the thread was about.

It seems the ambiguously titled threads get fewer posts and fewer views @Mdfgator @Capt Ron 1

Just my opinion.

The goal is to have an active yet civil forum.

So, what do you like / not like?

Yahoo articles are written by trolls, for trolls. The title of the article is almost always making a sensational claim that's never supported by the actual content of the article.

And honestly, I've never understood why trying to avoid an echo chamber is a top priority here. I think when you focus on trying to make sure all sides are represented, it opens the door to giving greater leeway to lefty trolls, just to try to avoid the dreaded 'echo chamber'.

Posters like bsc and kalim are just here to troll. They really offer nothing to the board, but it feels like posters like this are almost coddled at times to try to avoid the dreaded 'echo chamber'.

Which I think is totally unnecessary. Instead of greasing the path for the trolls that no one really wants here, it would be better to prop up the posters that are left leaning or in the center. Guys like @bradleygator @armbar73 @grandhavendiddy who flip from left to right depending on the issue. They are the ones that can drive actual conversations. All the trolls drive is yelling, and the irony is, when there's breaking news to have a real conversation about, if it hurts the left, they disappear, so activity goes down anyway.

Just my 2 cents. Worth far more, of course.

Yahoo articles are written by trolls, for trolls. The title of the article is almost always making a sensational claim that's never supported by the actual content of the article.

And honestly, I've never understood why trying to avoid an echo chamber is a top priority here. I think when you focus on trying to make sure all sides are represented, it opens the door to giving greater leeway to lefty trolls, just to try to avoid the dreaded 'echo chamber'.

Posters like bsc and kalim are just here to troll. They really offer nothing to the board, but it feels like posters like this are almost coddled at times to try to avoid the dreaded 'echo chamber'.

Which I think is totally unnecessary. Instead of greasing the path for the trolls that no one really wants here, it would be better to prop up the posters that are left leaning or in the center. Guys like @bradleygator @armbar73 @grandhavendiddy who flip from left to right depending on the issue. They are the ones that can drive actual conversations. All the trolls drive is yelling, and the irony is, when there's breaking news to have a real conversation about, if it hurts the left, they disappear, so activity goes down anyway.

Good post and thanks for your opinion.

Personally I'd rather have a sensationalized headline that tells you in broad strokes what the thread is about than things like "just the tip" or "you are not gonna believe this".

The echo chamber is an observation, the one and only goal is to have healthy civil discourse.

Agree with your last paragraph, those guys drive the board when they post, IMO ...

Losing interest and patience with a shrinking circle of participants and I’m sure they don’t care for me. I’m called a RINO and not a real American but I just have to consider the source.

I will defend the fact that this is America and they have the right to be wrong.

But serious kudos to you for asking.

It's been about 6 weeks since we've been spammed with countless yahoo news articles.

Feels to me like a little bit more of an echo chamber, but there are a few still fighting the good fight.

The one thing I really liked about the yahoo articles was that the subject line made it very clear what the thread was about.

It seems the ambiguously titled threads get fewer posts and fewer views @Mdfgator @Capt Ron 1

Just my opinion.

no, people are afraid to engage in anything of substance. LOL

Maybe, but I know for a fact some don't bother clicking when they see an ambiguous title ...
For me it's the person that starts the thread. @fatman76 can start a thread with any title he wants, I will click it. Likewise, @Mdfgator could start a thread saying 'breaking news, it's confirmed that XXXXX has died', and I wouldn't click it.

A good title helps, but not being a troll drives far more clicks.

Losing interest and patience with a shrinking circle of participants and I’m sure they don’t care for me. I’m called a RINO and not a real American but I just have to consider the source.

I will defend the fact that this is America and they have the right to be wrong.

Very good post

Excellent post

Great post. And not just because of the compliment :)

The issue is the hardcore leftists don’t win on the facts when talking current events, or logic when talking concepts.

So, to stay alive they troll and obfuscate and celebrate fake “wins” to get attention.

It’s an echo chamber because the games they play are pretty transparent and they know it.

I’d love more balance but that requires competency

I assume the yahoo articles in question were posted by the lefty who was banned a few weeks ago.

They never bothered me but I ignore threads in which I have no interest.

I definitely think a vibrant board encourages contributions from all perspectives even though it makes some folks uncomfortable.

The issue is the hardcore leftists don’t win on the facts when talking current events, or logic when talking concepts.

So, to stay alive they troll and obfuscate and celebrate fake “wins” to get attention.

It’s an echo chamber because the games they play are pretty transparent and they know it.

If only the lefties were really, really smart like the righties! ;)

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

Just my opinion.

We've discussed Yahoo articles before. You yourself have said they are leftist click bait and their moderators are censoring babies. The Parking Lot is fine with me. That's not the issue. What is the issue is the two tiered system of justice in today's USA, and it's gotten beyond old. Nothing we can say is going to change that. I haven't been here as much for that reason and also very busy personal schedule as of late dealing with a family death and estate dissolution.

Last edited:

This is honestly what I think is happening with the dem posters here, and really anywhere on the internet:

So much of their sense of self-worth is tied directly to their politics. Think about it:

The left teaches them how to be racists, while telling them WE are the racists. The left teaches them that they care about the planet, while they embrace the technologies that are destroying it. The left teaches them that they are intellectual thinkers, while robbing them of their ability to think and critically process information.

So everything the left teaches them is a complete lie. Their entire sense of self worth is based on a complete lie.

We point that out. They get upset because they feel like when we are attacking the left, we ARE ATTACKING THEM.

They can attack the right, and we don't take it personally as they do. Because our sense of self-worth isn't tied to the right, it isn't tied to our politics. We know the majority of the right is garbage just as they do.

But we also know almost all of the left is even worse. They strike back if we point that out.

This nation will only begin to become whole again when liberals stop viewing their politics as being what defines them as people. Till then, they are unreachable and lost.

I assume the yahoo articles in question were posted by the lefty who was banned a few weeks ago.

They never bothered me but I ignore threads in which I have no interest.

I definitely think a vibrant board encourages contributions from all perspectives even though it makes some folks uncomfortable.
Historically, which political culture censors and shadow bans independent thoughts?
giphy.gif

That's not the case at the Parking Lot. Only a handful of posters have been banned, and it wasn't for politics at all. From memory, one called a mod an idiot, another called the owner worse, and the last one simply refused to follow the rules after repeatedly being given 4th and 5th chances to comply.

You and economics? 😂 😂 😂 The only "soft landings" you have are on that spot on your head.
full head of hair, and its not going to be a soft landing slick, JUST THE TIP. the trump bump is about to turn into the trump dump. consumers have finally burned through the excess savings from all that stimi. WE shall see...

full head of hair, and its not going to be a soft landing slick, JUST THE TIP. the trump bump is about to turn into the trump dump. consumers have finally burned through the excess savings from all that stimi. WE shall see...
Soft smooth brained head you got there. How is that "Inflation Reduction Act" working out half nickel? 😂

Historically, which political culture censors and shadow bans independent thoughts?
giphy.gif

That's not the case at the Parking Lot. Only a handful of posters have been banned, and it wasn't for politics at all. From memory, one called a mod an idiot, another called the owner worse, and the last one simply refused to follow the rules after repeatedly being given 4th and 5th chances to comply.
I totally agree that the left relies heavily on censorship....particularly recently.

Were all of the recent bannings on the left?

Last edited:
I have always thought that hearing both sides of the issue forced one’s brain to work.
Everyone enters a discussion with at the very least some level of information which has formed itself into a conclusion or an opinion.
Hearing others thoughts, opinions, and most importantly hearing additional FACTS we may not have known before creates a need to either reinforce our held opinion such that we can defend our position, or we modify that opinion knowing all (or at least more) facts.
We shouldn’t be afraid of discussing the issue.
But it seems that with increasing frequency people are afraid of that very thing - or they’re fearful of their ability to arrive at new conclusions. Or argue their held positions.
The saying “my mind is made up so don’t confuse me with the facts” comes to mind.
And the easier fallback becomes a defense consisting of an attack that is personal instead of based on the issue.
The loser is civility.

I have always thought that hearing both sides of the issue forced one’s brain to work.
Everyone enters a discussion with at the very least some level of information which has formed itself into a conclusion or an opinion.
Hearing others thoughts, opinions, and most importantly hearing additional FACTS we may not have known before creates a need to either reinforce our held opinion such that we can defend our position, or we modify that opinion knowing all (or at least more) facts.
But it seems that with increasing frequency people are afraid of that very thing - or they’re fearful of their ability to arrive at new conclusions. Or argue their held positions.
The saying “my mind is made up so don’t confuse me with the facts” comes to mind.
And the easier fallback becomes a defense consisting of an attack that is personal instead of based on the issue.
The loser is civility.
Some people on both sides believe their opinions are facts. They like seeing action taken against their opponents because it reinforces the correctness of their opinion.

I think things were more fun when personal attacks were not allowed.

It messes up your echo chamber?
I'm far more willing to entertain opposing viewpoints than you are. See the gun debates, you can only see your side and anyone that has a different viewpoint you view as a 'gun nut' with zero consideration of their POV.

Just as a society shouldn't embrace people that wish to do it harm, neither should this board. It doesn't make it 'vibrant' to embrace trolls that are only here to draw attention to themselves and attack others.

This was my original point, the top priority should IMO be the elimination of trolls and posters who are only here to troll. There's been many solid posters who left this board completely due to trolls. 1776's idiocy in the covid thread permanently ran off several of our best posters.

If we end up with a board that's free of trolls and 90% of the board agrees politically and there's very little fighting......I don't see how that's an undesireable outcome, even if we also have the dreaded 'echo chamber'.

But I can see how the trolls would disagree.

Some people on both sides believe their opinions are facts. They like seeing action taken against their opponents because it reinforces the correctness of their opinion.
I've never seen a single poster here on 'my side' advocate for banning someone on the 'left' simply because they were on the left.

I have seen someone on the left advocate for banning someone on the 'right' simply cause they are on the right.

People advocate for banning trolls and constant rule breakers. Happens on every board, nothing unique.

The loser is civility.trklling

It's better to have all sides represented as long as someone isn't clearly just constantly trolling. Back and forth is good as long as it doesn't get too personal. I like this place unlike real lefty heavy sites because they seem to always want to eventually silence the views they don't like.

I'm far more willing to entertain opposing viewpoints than you are. See the gun debates, you can only see your side and anyone that has a different viewpoint you view as a 'gun nut' with zero consideration of their POV.

Just as a society shouldn't embrace people that wish to do it harm, neither should this board. It doesn't make it 'vibrant' to embrace trolls that are only here to draw attention to themselves and attack others.

This was my original point, the top priority should IMO be the elimination of trolls and posters who are only here to troll. There's been many solid posters who left this board completely due to trolls. 1776's idiocy in the covid thread permanently ran off several of our best posters.

If we end up with a board that's free of trolls and 90% of the board agrees politically and there's very little fighting......I don't see how that's an undesireable outcome, even if we also have the dreaded 'echo chamber'.

But I can see how the trolls would disagree.
😂 Yeah, if I could only be more open-minded like you.

If you flee the board because of 'trolls', you're weak.

It's better to have all sides represented as long as someone isn't clearly just constantly trolling. Back and forth is good as long as it doesn't get too personal. I like this place unlike real lefty heavy sites because they seem to always want to eventually silence the views they don't like.
You like it because it’s an echo chamber just like the lefty sites you don’t like just opposite. This site isn’t mistral by a long shot.

Reactions: FresnoGator
😂 Yeah, if I could only be more open-minded like you.

If you flee the board because of 'trolls', you're weak.
So calling anyone that disagrees with me a 'nut' would make me more open-minded like you? LOL

A bit surprised to see @FresnoGator Like your point about posters leaving because of trolls. The posters we lost due to 1776's posts were absolutely more valuable to the discussions we had here than 1776 has ever been.

Avoiding an 'echo chamber' comes at a cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT