ADVERTISEMENT

So..........how much was the negotiated buy out settlement?

Duo

Baby Gator
Jul 23, 2006
Anyone know?

Any guesses?

Thoughts on how it all came down and worked out?

My guess would be pretty close to full buyout. Mac may have chipped in a couple mill. just to get out of town. But I don’t see how the death threat thing gets him fired for cause. Im sure Mac’s attorneys could comb through his tweets and hate mail, which I’m sure was voluminous, and find something close enough to threats to argue that he wasn’t straight up lying with an intent to defame the university. I didn’t like Mac, but he should get all that money. They were dumb enough to give it to him.

Reactions: maugwa
Anything more than a penny was too much. Shouldn't have gotten a damn thing after the way he made the university look.

I think everybody that is a CFB fan outside of UF is surprised that he is getting fired after winning 2 championships back to back. It leaves you thinking there must be something more to it than having a bad year? I suspect it is political and involves the big donors. Just a guess?

Stricklin said so himself in his presser that it wasn't just about "wins and losses". Mac opened his mouth and cost himself millions of $$$$. I have heard he only got about $4M of the buyout.

Reactions: g8rbass94
yeah he won two east championships with Muscahmps Defense against a weak east division. Who Hoo

now that the Defense is slipping and he cant get the Offense in the top 100. Not so much.

From another board, it was $4mm.

Have heard that McElwain already has an agreement to take the Oregon State job, and that's why he didn't want any of this dragging out and wanted an agreement where Florida wouldn't disparage him further.

That'd also explain Sexton's willingness to take a haircut here. He keeps his client in a job that will still pay him reasonably good money, while also getting a potential new client in at Florida right away.​

Here's what Adam Silverstein is reporting on OnlyGators.com: http://www.onlygators.com/10/29/201...h-jim-mcelwain-and-it-may-be-relatively-fair/

If McElwain wanted out and UAA wanted him out, this seems like a fair deal all around, especially if he has another job already lined up. I had forgotten about the Colorado St. buyout when Coach Mac came to UF, but if UAA pays that entire $3 million and gives Mac $1 million, that seems good to me. Much better than $12.7 or whatever the ridiculous contract called for.

Have heard that McElwain already has an agreement to take the Oregon State job, and that's why he didn't want any of this dragging out and wanted an agreement where Florida wouldn't disparage him further.

That'd also explain Sexton's willingness to take a haircut here. He keeps his client in a job that will still pay him reasonably good money, while also getting a potential new client in at Florida right away.​

Why give him anything if he has an agreement to take another job, wouldn't that nullify the buyout?

Dude paid his buyout on the way in, and paid it on the way out. A double loser. How do you guys top this, hire Randy Shannon?

The $4 million number is based on Brett McMurphy's speculation. There's no source to it. I'd be surprised if it was that low, but if Mac really wants to move on, then who knows. As far as the stuff about Jimmy Sexton taking a lowball offer so he can get another one of his clients in at UF, if I were Mac and I thought that were true, I'd want to have a serious conversation with my agent.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
It’s business. UF will do it right, and it will be mutually beneficial. They’ll find the money, and he’ll be treated fairly. Not a concern.

Well.............humm...........that's clear as mud. $3 million or $12 million???? Hey, the man had a contract. In business contracts are subject to a court of law.

Next!

Re: Mac's agent.

He should have hired Bob Lamonte, Charlie Weis' agent. Lamonte got Weis every dime of his $10 million buy out plus millions of dollars worth of perks and add-on's at Notre Dame, all of his OC money from UF and every cent of his buy out at Kansas before being fired yet again!

Grand total including his salary while he was working (what little he did) came to over $40 million!!!

End of story: Agent Bob Lamonte who represents a whole lot of Pro's and highly paid college coaches absolutely skinned the academics that run those colleges alive and ate them!

NOW..........that's business! Bwahahahahaahahah! :eek:

Reactions: bradleygator
Re: Mac's agent.

He should have hired Bob Lamonte, Charlie Weis' agent. Lamonte got Weis every dime of his $10 million buy out plus millions of dollars worth of perks and add-on's at Notre Dame, all of his OC money from UF and every cent of his buy out at Kansas before being fired yet again!

Grand total including his salary while he was working (what little he did) came to over $40 million!!!

End of story: Agent Bob Lamonte who represents a whole lot of Pro's and highly paid college coaches absolutely skinned the academics that run those colleges alive and ate them!

NOW..........that's business! Bwahahahahaahahah! :eek:

Mac’s not smart enough to have an agent that good.

Jimmy Sexton: Now Mac, UF came back at me with a hell of a deal. In broad strokes, they’re going to hire one of my other clients so I keep getting my 3 percent. Now you only net $1 million out of a $12 million buyout, but they have a booster who owns several supermarkets and he’s guaranteed shelf space for your barbecue sauce at the Starke Piggly Wiggly through 2021.

Mac: (glassy eyed) That sounds neat and special.

Agent: I love you, Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: oozie7
According to articles listed in Google:

Sounds like when it's all said and done Mac will end up getting only $1 million from his $12.9 million buy out deal and to boot UF plans to pay him in installments over time. $4 million paid out by UF with $3 million of it going to CSU and $1 million to Mac paid on time!

And all because Mac's agent Jimmy Sexton didn't want to press UF for more money for the "Mac-ster"!

Holy...........ahh.....cow! And whoa Nelly! Any way you look at it the ole "Mac-ster" got booed, screwed and tattooed..........BIG TIME! He'll be lucky to cover his moving expenses and agent's fees! :(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT