ADVERTISEMENT

SEC tournament crash and burn but still NCAA tourney bound...

After being up 12 at the half, we are now down 1. Vandy has had so many wide open looks at threes. Lose this one and we are probably out, and deservedly so. Why can't we guard the 3 point line?
Even if we lose we are going to make the tourney. It doesn’t really matter to be honest because we aren’t very good so we aren’t going far regardless

Even if we lose we are going to make the tourney. It doesn’t really matter to be honest because we aren’t very good so we aren’t going far regardless
Lunardi projects we move to last 4 in with a loss. That means we are living on the edge. If we can't pull this out that will be 3 losses in a row to close out the season. Didn't we hit the skids at the end of last season too?

Lunardi projects we move to last 4 in with a loss. That means we are living on the edge. If we can't pull this out that will be 3 losses in a row to close out the season. Didn't we hit the skids at the end of last season too?
Pretty sure he had us as an 8 seed yesterday. At least that is what I saw. Not dropping from an 8 to out of the tourney because of 1 loss.

Looking at all these other teams and losses I think a Tenn win could get us a 7 seed now. I think we are almost a lock to be an 8 or 9 seed if we lose to Tenn.

Looking at all these other teams and losses I think a Tenn win could get us a 7 seed now. I think we are almost a lock to be an 8 or 9 seed if we lose to Tenn.
Probably very accurate. Not sure we want the 8/9 seed right? Prefer the 7 or 10.

Reactions: Gator Fever
LOL. Sweet 16 for this team??!!
source.gif

LOL. Sweet 16 for this team??!! The talent is there, but the coaching and consistency is not.

Well one good thing is it only takes 2 wins to get there and except for maybe 3 or 4 teams at most minus the stupid mess we match up pretty good. White can start the good luck off today by beating Tennessee and giving us a decent chance for a 7 seed.

who cares?

I care.

But I get what you are saying.

When you team has been maddeningly inconsistent for years, and you know you have talent, but you can't string together more than a couple wins before another inexplicable loss to an inferior team, you start to lose hope that you will ever put together a team that can make noise in the tournament.

I was at UF during the second Norm Sloan run, where we actually made the tournament a couple times and had some wins. When I first started to go to games, student seating was first come first served. We would go when the ODome opened (or go to the women's game if there was a doubleheader) and get seats in the front row. Then the team started to get good, and suddenly everybody wanted to go to the games. They switched to assigned seating, and students lost their good center section seats and got stuck under the basket. Gator basketball has continued to grow in popularity to the point people now complain about a lack of support if the nosebleeds aren't full for every game.

What's my point?

Success builds a fan base. Lack of success erodes it.

When a team has a sustained run of little success, fans first get angry, then become apathetic. Many of us are still in the angry phase, Ocalaman is just ahead of the curve. This is the future of Gator basketball if things continue on this path.

Not sure what to say about that half except if it was us leading we would find a way to blow the game probably.

Not sure what to say about that half except if it was us leading we would find a way to blow the game probably.
Is it just me or is Vandy's gym the most retarded setup in college basketball? It's butt fugly. For visiting teams, it's got to screw up shooter's depth perception who aren't used to the setup and play in there every day. And for viewers, it's like watching a football game on a field designed for baseball or track.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Gator Fever
Is it just me or is Vandy's gym the most retarded setup in college basketball? It's butt fugly. For visiting teams, it's got to screw up shooter's depth perception who aren't used to the setup and play in there every day. And for viewers, it's like watching a football game on a field designed for baseball or track.:rolleyes:
It looks more like a theater with a basketball court in it.

Unbelievable...

Coach White since getting the big win @ West Virginia...

4-5 losing record...

Lost a Quad 3 home game to South Carolina...

0-3 in 3 games (Mizzu, Tenn x2) the last 9 days that a win in any of them would have kept us off the 8/9 seed line now...

We would have been better off losing to Vandy and hoping for a #10/11 seed...

Reactions: PacoGator19
I watched Mary Wise's volleyball team stage an amazing comeback to beat #25 Missouri 15-13 in the 5th and deciding set. The Gators dropped the first 2 sets in heartbreaking fashion, 25-23 & 25-23. They won the 3rd set 25-19 and overcame several deficits in the 4th set, finally winning 27-25. In the 5th set they were down 13-9 and reeled off 6 straight points to win the match. That's toughness under duress, great coaching from the longest-tenured coach in UF history and great leadership on the court. That's the kind of Gator team I love to watch. Sorry, but I missed the basketball team. Getting ready to watch our 15-1 softball team vs. #9, 19-0 Kentucky and switch back & forth to the Gator/Jax Dolphins baseball game.

Does anybody not know what a Mike white coached team is? Barely better than mediocre. Not good enough. He’ll get one more year due to KJ and Covid. Then it will be time for an upgrade.

Kinda me but not really.

Closer to me:

star-wars-luke-skywalker-facts.jpg

Old, grizzled, worn out, beaten down by life, but still an idealist.

Way fewer Jedi powers, though. :p
The old Luke sucked. If sadgator had written The Last Jedi, it would have been TOTALLY different...and we all would have seen the story we wanted to see...sadgator knows exactly how it should have went down....they fvcked that opportunity up eight ways to Sunday...

I watched Mary Wise's volleyball team stage an amazing comeback to beat #25 Missouri 15-13 in the 5th and deciding set. The Gators dropped the first 2 sets in heartbreaking fashion, 25-23 & 25-23. They won the 3rd set 25-19 and overcame several deficits in the 4th set, finally winning 27-25. In the 5th set they were down 13-9 and reeled off 6 straight points to win the match. That's toughness under duress, great coaching from the longest-tenured coach in UF history and great leadership on the court. That's the kind of Gator team I love to watch. Sorry, but I missed the basketball team. Getting ready to watch our 15-1 softball team vs. #9, 19-0 Kentucky and switch back & forth to the Gator/Jax Dolphins baseball game.
We probably need a baseball and softball thread

The baseball team has been underwhelming so far this season as well. They don’t look like a top team to me at all.
Totally agree. The bullpen has been terrible and the defense is the worst in the O'Sullivan era. The offense has been great top to bottom, although pre-season SEC player of the year Jud Fabian is off to a very slow start with tons of strikeouts. They better figure the pitching out before the SEC season starts. This past week the top 5 teams in the nation were all from the SEC - Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Miss. St., Ole Miss & Florida.

The depth of the pitching just doesn’t appear to be there at all.

The baseball team has been underwhelming so far this season as well. They don’t look like a top team to me at all.

If this is going to be a season where we start slow and finish strong, I'd be perfectly ok with that. Too many years we have started crazy good and slowly fell back to the pack.

Having said that, if we are starting slow, staying slow, finishing slow, nope.

If this is going to be a season where we start slow and finish strong, I'd be perfectly ok with that. Too many years we have started crazy good and slowly fell back to the pack.

Having said that, if we are starting slow, staying slow, finishing slow, nope.
Couple of injuries has really hurt the depth. SEC is crazy good this year.

Due to Covid, the MLB draft only had 5 rounds instead the of 40 (?) they usually have. The 2021 draft will only have 20 rounds, I think. This caused a lot of excellent college players, as well as some top notch high school kids, to stay with a college baseball program rather than take their chances as an undrafted free agent. So the Gator program benefitted by having Mace & Leftwich return and got a couple of high school players that otherwise would have signed. But every other team that has a good baseball program, especially in the SEC, had several quality players return as well. So all the upper echelon programs are loaded this year.

Due to Covid, the MLB draft only had 5 rounds instead the of 40 (?) they usually have. The 2021 draft will only have 20 rounds, I think. This caused a lot of excellent college players, as well as some top notch high school kids, to stay with a college baseball program rather than take their chances as an undrafted free agent. So the Gator program benefitted by having Mace & Leftwich return and got a couple of high school players that otherwise would have signed. But every other team that has a good baseball program, especially in the SEC, had several quality players return as well. So all the upper echelon programs are loaded this year.

That seems counterintuitive to me. The reason to have a draft is to keep all the incoming players tied to one team rather than be free agents, because it avoids bidding wars. Being an elite player and a free agent that can pick and choose between suitors would seem to me to be a better situation than an elite player drafted in the 6th round and so stuck with one team and what they are willing to pay you. If I were a player in that situation I'd have gotten an agency and had them burning up the phone lines looking for as many interested teams as possible.

I'm not saying you aren't 100% correct in what happened, just that I don't understand why it happened.

Lots of unhappy campers on Rafters...... the best analogy I saw on the UK board was that our season was like a wounded animal, and it was best that it was put out of its misery as soon as possible.

screw Raftards. I never want a loss..... even with a losing season, I wanted them to turn it around tourney time. They failed.... as I expected, but it’s never “best” to get eliminated

Lots of unhappy campers on Rafters...... the best analogy I saw on the UK board was that our season was like a wounded animal, and it was best that it was put out of its misery as soon as possible.

Good luck to you guys wherever you end up....
Thanks but I’m afraid we’re in for a short run.

That seems counterintuitive to me. The reason to have a draft is to keep all the incoming players tied to one team rather than be free agents, because it avoids bidding wars. Being an elite player and a free agent that can pick and choose between suitors would seem to me to be a better situation than an elite player drafted in the 6th round and so stuck with one team and what they are willing to pay you. If I were a player in that situation I'd have gotten an agency and had them burning up the phone lines looking for as many interested teams as possible.

I'm not saying you aren't 100% correct in what happened, just that I don't understand why it happened.

Our loss to State was a perfect microcosm of the season.... play like they’re lost and bewildered for much of the game, play lights out for a short stretch, then piss it away and lose it in the end.

no doubt - they turn blood simple in the last 4 minutes when it’s close, and there’s a reversion to bad habits, and Cal makes poor rotation decisions - Cal has to get a court coach who is better than Bruiser

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT