ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, so now that the nonsense sports are out of the way, let's focus on the SEC East...

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
Who will win it this year?

UT plays 9 out of 12 games in the state of Tennessee, including the weirdo game at Bristol in Week 2.

UGA has a shameful schedule, and only has to travel to Ole Miss.

Missouri lost their coach.

South Carolina has voluntarily committed program suicide.

We will be better offensively, but the road games at Tennessee and Ark plus LSU are killer.

Vandy and Kentucky don't count.

Based on everything, you'd have to say the UGA has the inside track to make it to Atlanta. Hard to see us repeating this year even if we are technically improved over last year.

Agree/Disagree?

Tennesee or UF will win the east. I don't think UGA will be very good this year. We will be a better team.

My money would be on Tennessee.

I think scheduling works against us. I am expecting a 7-8 win season and I am not sure that gets it done

Disagree.

I don't think we'll be a better team than UT, but I wouldn't be surprised if we win the East. Our schedule just isn't good and UT and UGA have the tougher cross-divison matchups for once.

We get LSU at home and Arkansas on the road. I see both of those teams as 3-4 loss teams this year.

UT gets: at A&M, Bama at home
UGA gets: @ Ole Miss, Auburn at home

If we go 1-1 against UT and UGA we probably repeat.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Tennessee should win the East, but who knows if they actually will. They've only won it once since 2005.

Is Ole' Miss really going to better than Ark? MF er's are gonna be on probation by mid-season anyway.

And you gotta figure that this is UT's best chance to beat us in forever. If they don't beat us this year, they might never beat us again. If they beat VA Tech in week two, the hillbilly palace is gonna be a madhouse for our game.

UT plays a few tough games before us, VT is never that good but they have a new coach and it's at least a competitive before they play us.

Is Ole' Miss really going to better than Ark? MF er's are gonna be on probation by mid-season anyway.

And you gotta figure that this is UT's best chance to beat us in forever. If they don't beat us this year, they might never beat us again. If they beat VA Tech in week two, the hillbilly palace is gonna be a madhouse for our game.
No I don't think Ole Miss will be any better than Arky this year. Ole Miss lost a lot and now the NCAA is hovering around.

Arkansas is replacing 3/5 of their o-line, their top two tailbacks, their QB, and I believe their top WR. They also lost their OC and OL coach to UGA. Their defense wasn't that good and also lost a few. A 3-4 loss prediction for them is probably generous, they're more likely a 5-6 loss team. Ole Miss returns the best QB in the league and have recruited very well the last few years. I don't see anyone in the West but Bama and LSU beating them.

I have a hard time taking UT seriously. The only reason last year was competitive was the trick plays. Dobbs was their leading passer (83 yards), rusher and receiver. Huh. Wonder who we need to key on. If we play the lanes, keep him in the pocket, and commit to stopping the run, we beat UT pretty easily. He ain't beating us with his arm.

Georgia. What's the point of trying to break it down? This game never goes according to conventional wisdom. I say, new coach will make a mistake that costs them the game. Because, it's Georgia.

LSU at home I feel good about. Arkansas anywhere I feel good about. Kentucky and Vandy, wins. South Carolina traded the smartest ex-Gator coach ever for the dumbest ex-Gator coach ever. Win. Missouri with no Pinkel and a new coach at our house. Win.

I think we go 7-1 and win the East again. As long as we beat UT and UGa, even 6-2 would be sufficient. So a loss to Arkansas wouldn't kill us.

Order of teams I think most likely to beat us.
LSU
Arky
Georgia
Missouri
UT
Vandy
USC-E
UK

If UT is just a running team like they have been UF will win the east. It's not hard to shut down a running offense.

Who knows at this point? We won several games last year we could have easily lost, plus lost some very good players. Our O-line is pretty much unproven and we are very thin at Linebacker. QB play should be significantly better, RB & WR improved and the team has a year of experience with the new coaching staff. Depth is a problem at most positions, so injuries are key. We have, IMO, a couple of gimmes a couple we probably will lose for sure and then the rest are toss-ups. We're a long way from being the kind of team we used to be, where you could see 8 sure wins, 2 more probable wins and then 2 toss-ups.

I find it hard to take Tennessee seriously.

In his career Butch Jones is 3-18 (14%) against opponents that are ranked in the top 25.

Josh Dobbs stats as a starter:
  • He is 1-4 against ranked teams in the regular season.
  • Against ranked teams Dobbs has 94 completions in 164 attempts for 995 yards with 8 TDs and 4 INTs. That comes out to 19 of 33 for 199 yards with 1.6 TDs and .8 INTs per game.
  • Against ranked opponents Dobbs averages just 6 yards per pass attempt.
  • Against ranked teams Dobbs has 84 carries for 237 yards with 3 TDs. He averages just 2.8 yards per rush and .6 TDs per game.
  • In the 5 games against ranked teams Dobbs has turned the ball over on a fumble 3 times.
  • In the 5 games against ranked teams Dobbs was sacked 17 times.
  • For his career Dobbs averages just 6.5 yards per pass attempt.
In 2015 Dobbs finished the season ranked 70th in the nation in passing efficiency, 89th in yards per completion, 79th in passing yards per game and 84th in yards per passing attempt.

Dobbs is a below average passer. If we can shut down the running game and force Dobbs to beat us in the air we will win.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I find it hard to take Tennessee seriously.

In his career Butch Jones is 3-18 (14%) against opponents that are ranked in the top 25.

Josh Dobbs stats as a starter:
  • He is 1-4 against ranked teams in the regular season.
  • Against ranked teams Dobbs has 94 completions in 164 attempts for 995 yards with 8 TDs and 4 INTs. That comes out to 19 of 33 for 199 yards with 1.6 TDs and .8 INTs per game.
  • Against ranked opponents Dobbs averages just 6 yards per pass attempt.
  • Against ranked teams Dobbs has 84 carries for 237 yards with 3 TDs. He averages just 2.8 yards per rush and .6 TDs per game.
  • In the 5 games against ranked teams Dobbs has turned the ball over on a fumble 3 times.
  • In the 5 games against ranked teams Dobbs was sacked 17 times.
  • For his career Dobbs averages just 6.5 yards per pass attempt.
In 2015 Dobbs finished the season ranked 70th in the nation in passing efficiency, 89th in yards per completion, 79th in passing yards per game and 84th in yards per passing attempt.

Dobbs is a below average passer. If we can shut down the running game and force Dobbs to beat us in the air we will win.
This. Dobbs can't throw. Have to slow down the UT running game. More importantly we need to limit Dobbs running.

It just feels like Tennessee needs to win our game as a program so very bad. It is like the must win of all must wins. They have simply got to put the streak behind them if they want to move forward and have success. They are going to absolutely throw the kitchen sink and the entire kitchen at us to win. It is hard to see us matching the level of urgency they are going to come into that game with. Unless VaTech gets them at Bristol. Then they might be down in the dumps.

Who will win it this year?

UT plays 9 out of 12 games in the state of Tennessee, including the weirdo game at Bristol in Week 2.

UGA has a shameful schedule, and only has to travel to Ole Miss.

Missouri lost their coach.

South Carolina has voluntarily committed program suicide.

We will be better offensively, but the road games at Tennessee and Ark plus LSU are killer.

Vandy and Kentucky don't count.

Based on everything, you'd have to say the UGA has the inside track to make it to Atlanta. Hard to see us repeating this year even if we are technically improved over last year.

Agree/Disagree?
Disagree. UGA has a new coach, a freshman QB. A tailback coming back from a devastating knee injury and what else?

As for the hillbillies I"ll believe it when I see it. I"m not buying the annual media hype for them.

It just feels like Tennessee needs to win our game as a program so very bad. It is like the must win of all must wins. They have simply got to put the streak behind them if they want to move forward and have success. They are going to absolutely throw the kitchen sink and the entire kitchen at us to win. It is hard to see us matching the level of urgency they are going to come into that game with. Unless VaTech gets them at Bristol. Then they might be down in the dumps.

I disagree. We k ow that is a pivotal game to get back to Atlanta. We"ll be plenty fired up.

Tennessee, UGA, LSU, CSI, and Arky are questionable, we should win the other 7 games. 1-4 would be very disappointing, 2-3 would be slightly disappointing. 3-2 would be about par

Tennessee, UGA, LSU, CSI, and Arky are questionable, we should win the other 7 games. 1-4 would be very disappointing, 2-3 would be slightly disappointing. 3-2 would be about par

Yep! Which is why I have us going 9-3 or 10-2. We have 7 layups so we just need to be 2-3 (with bowl game win) or 3-2 to win 10 games in the regular season. I don't think some realize just how bad our schedule is, at least in the preseason, this year.

And I don't have Arky as questionable, they aren't very good. The only games that should be in question are UT, LSU, UGA, and FSU. And I only have UGA there because I figure by our game Chubb should be healthy and Eason will have some experience under his belt, if we played them early I'd expect us to win by 10-14.

Yep! Which is why I have us going 9-3 or 10-2. We have 7 layups so we just need to be 2-3 (with bowl game win) or 3-2 to win 10 games in the regular season. I don't think some realize just how bad our schedule is, at least in the preseason, this year.

And I don't have Arky as questionable, they aren't very good. The only games that should be in question are UT, LSU, UGA, and FSU. And I only have UGA there because I figure by our game Chubb should be healthy and Eason will have some experience under his belt, if we played them early I'd expect us to win by 10-14.

If UGa is playing Eason than their season has already gone in the crapper. I don't care how many stars, true frosh QB's don't do much more than limit their mistakes. And against our defense, he WILL make mistakes.

First year QB's struggle, first year offenses struggle. First year offenses with first year QB's?

Disagree. UGA has a new coach, a freshman QB. A tailback coming back from a devastating knee injury and what else?

As for the hillbillies I"ll believe it when I see it. I"m not buying the annual media hype for them.

Exactly. Nobody does less with more than UT. How many times were they favored against us during the streak?

Since UF is the defending SECE champs, I am inclined to give UF the edge. I would say UT, but Butch can't seem to consistently get over the hump.

I think we play Eason and take our lumps this year with a first year HC.

If UGa is playing Eason than their season has already gone in the crapper. I don't care how many stars, true frosh QB's don't do much more than limit their mistakes. And against our defense, he WILL make mistakes.

First year QB's struggle
, first year offenses struggle. First year offenses with first year QB's?

Exactly!

My pick for the SEC Coastal is Tenn. They were the best team last year, yeah I know they lost to UF. They should be good this year. If they don't win Jones should be fired.

Anybody who thinks Tennessee isn't going to be good is nuts.

That being said, they have to get over the mental hump of not being able to beat us. If they can finally accomplish that at home this year, Katy bar the door.
It is not just beating us. They need to learn to close the deal against almost any decent opponent.

Last year, the four games they lost, they could have won each one of them. All the losses were by 7 points or less. And only one was 7 points.

The year before? They lost six games, but lost to UGA by 3 and Florida by one.

In 2013 they also lost six games and lost three by 7 points or less.

Butch Jones mismanaging the end of games has been his calling card since he has been there.

Last edited:
Tennesee hasn't beem good in over a decade. It believe it has been over a decade since they won the East.

Sorry If I'm not ready to crown them yet. Prove it on the field first. I'm not one of those types to just claim somebody is going to be good when they haven't been any good for so long.

Tennesee hasn't beem good in over a decade. It believe it has been over a decade since they won the East.

Sorry If I'm not ready to crown them yet. Prove it on the field first. I'm not one of those types to just claim somebody is going to be good when they haven't been any good for so long.

While we beat Tennessee last year, I think their claim to being 'good' last year was stronger than our claim to being 'good' last year. Sure we backed into the East title only to be absolutely humiliated in three staight games. They played the National Champ and another playoff team down to the wire. We were destroyed by the National Champ, humiliated by our in-state rival in the Swamp and embarassed by a mediocre Big Ten team with half the talent we had. So it might be better to leave it at they haven't beat us in a decade, because 'good' can be defined many ways.

While we beat Tennessee last year, I think their claim to being 'good' last year was stronger than our claim to being 'good' last year. Sure we backed into the East title only to be absolutely humiliated in three staight games. They played the National Champ and another playoff team down to the wire. We were destroyed by the National Champ, humiliated by our in-state rival in the Swamp and embarassed by a mediocre Big Ten team with half the talent we had. So it might be better to leave it at they haven't beat us in a decade, because 'good' can be defined many ways.
Tell me who they beat last year? We beat Ole Miss. What was UTs best win last year? UGA was probably their best win. Well we beat UGA worse than they did and we also beat UT.

Who cares about how close they were to winning games? That means nothing. They lost those games. Your talking moral victories for UT. Their coach is on the hot seat for a reason.

Tell me who they beat last year? We beat Ole Miss. What was UTs best win last year? UGA was probably their best win. Well we beat UGA worse than they did and we also beat UT.

Who cares about how close they were to winning games? That means nothing. They lost those games. Your talking moral victories for UT. Their coach is on the hot seat for a reason.

They did blow out a top 15 Northwestern team in their bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT