ADVERTISEMENT

Official Next University of Florida Head Coach Thread

No worries...I re commented on it, they did share ideas.

Both were great for Memphis, Norvell still is. Fuente seems the surer thing but as mentioned does not seem like the type to leave a Tech now. We met him and his children at Memphis. Heady guy. In full disclosure... Met a handful of the principles and a boatload of players but am not an insider by any stretch of the imagination.

tou can view it how you want, but Jeremy Pruitt has a lot of similarities to Kirby Smart. Pruitt's resume as an assistant coach is probably better because he has actually been pretty successful as a defensive coach without Saban holding his hand

Three Saban guys in a row?

No thanks.

A defensive coach?

No thanks.

Never been a head coach?

No thanks.

Some friends of mine and I know Jeremy Pruitt going all the way back to high school and his “famous daddy” Dale.

No thanks.

I would love to somehow get Kingsbury on this staff. Stud OC and QB coach.

We need a major splash hire.

I don't know if Kelly is the answer, but it needs to be a guy that makes the rest of the country sit up and take notice.

Reactions: gatorRAD
Dan Mullen is a proven head coach who knows Florida and the Southeast. He's shown an ability to compete with the big boys at a school with almost no recruiting advantages. I think he'd kill it at UF.

Who knows how Chip Kelly would do? He knows nothing about our part of the country and hasn't coached a college football team in 5 years.

Scott Frost may the next great thing, but O'Leary also had some success at UCF before flaming out. Risky.

UF can afford the best. Why take another chance on a McElwain/Muschamp kind of hire?

Frost...seems young but really is not. Finished playing at Nebraska in 1997? That makes him around 42. He is tough and clearly boosted UCF. Coaching speculation is a pain...unless you really know you need to improve.

Frost...seems young but really is not. Finished playing at Nebraska in 1997? That makes him around 42. He is tough and clearly boosted UCF. Coaching speculation is a pain...unless you really know you need to improve.
Is 42 not young to be a head college football coach?

Here we go again. When there is coaching blood in the water this place really wakes up. Frost has put together a rapid rebuild (successful) in 2 years at UCF. Somebody is going to pull the trigger at a big time program and reap the benefits. Remember Urban? He was a star before he became a superstar. Mullin can continue to half way produce at a half arsed school. I don't want to see his ugly gourd walking the sidelines at Ben Hill.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
I can tell you all about Norvell. Wife is Memphis alumni and we go to all Memphis home games and some road games. Get access to a few practices, attend spring games, and all the such.

-Sure some of the guys making plays on both sides of the ball are Fuente recruits. However many are Norvell's guys.

-Fuente did not recruit the star WR Anthony Miller. Miller was a local kid who wanted to be a Tiger and walked on, Fuente missed recruiting him but lucked out that he walked on. Fuente didn't utilize Miller correctly. Miller was one of the stars in the upset over Old Miss, instead of building off of that momentum he kept him as a third stringer, second at best. Norvell has made Miller into a star.

-Norvell and staff have done wonders with Riley Ferguson. Ferguson was a kid Butch Jones botched on. Norvell recruited him out of JC.

-Playmakers like Darrell Henderson, Patrick Taylor, Pop Williams, and Tony Pollard are Norvell recruits.

-On defense their best DB TJ Carter is a Norvell recruit. As is one of their best interior DL O'Bryan Goodson. OLB/S Austin Hall was redshirted under Fuente but has shined under the Norvell staff. DL Joseph Dorcues a Norvell recruit has been making plays.

- Some of the studs left behind from Fuente...RB Doroland Dorcues has been battling injuries the past two years. Fuente's star LB Jackson Dillion has been out two straight seasons. Their do it all offensive guy Sam Craft(played both RB/WR/KR/Point Guard {yes he played hoops as well}) has been out all season and most of last season..

-Yes guys like their best possession WR Phil Mayhue is a Fuente guy but has improved under Norvell.

-Young back ups like TE Sean Dykes, WR Demonte Hoxie, and Kedarian Jones are Norvell recruits.

-Their backup QB David Moore hasn't seen tons of action but is an exciting duel threat who looks promising.

-Many of the offensive stars who shined under Fuente. Paxton Lynch, Alan Cross (Bucs TE), Joe Craig, and such graduated before Norvell arrived. RB Jarvis Cooper and Jemarius Henderson transferred. And as mentioned WR/RB Sam Craft has been injured.

-A knock on Norvell has been the Memphis defense. Over some point during the year 17 were injured. Two got caught up on the bad side of the law. Norvell and staff in one week (two separate occasions) made complete adjustments from going against a pass happy attacking offense to playing against triple option teams Navy and Tulane and held them to multiple lowest stats of the season. I mentioned Jackson Dillion was lost for the year, also the other LB Genard Avery was out much of the season from an early season injury. Their main DB Shaun Rupert got caught up on the bad side of the law and was immediately dismissed.

Yes, Fuente built the foundation of Memphis's recent success but Norvell is building a great story himself in Memphis.

That's that on Norvell.

Thanks TG. I didn’t know you were that close to the Memphis program. Do you think he would be able to attract top assistants. There’s no way in hell he would be able to keep his DC if he got the UF job.

Thanks TG. I didn’t know you were that close to the Memphis program. Do you think he would be able to attract top assistants. There’s no way in hell he would be able to keep his DC if he got the UF job.
Not sure on who he can attract while at a top level program.

I do know this, he was able to retain almost his entire staff last year. SEC schools went after several assistants. If I remember correctly...UF went after OL coach Ryan Silverfield but couldn't pull him away.

His shining position coach is QB/TE coach Kenny Dillingham. He is a Norvell protege, helped developed Ferguson at QB and one of his top recruiters. 247 named him one of the top recruiters in the American.Athletic Conference.

Frost (though this Austin Peay game is concerning).

I’d much rather have Norvell than Campbell.

Campbell is a defensive lineman who has a coaching background in OL.

Not a fan of that.

And Norvell is all offense and 7-1 at Memphis this year.

It's harder for the Frost/Norvell types of the world to recruit complete defenses. They way they are able to sign the good recruits they do is by selling them that they can play offense. Many would be DB's/LB's in the SEC, Big 10, and upper ACC schools. The good defensive players go to those P5 schools and the G6 get what they can get to field a defense.

Reactions: Volasaurus
It's harder for the Frost/Norvell types of the world to recruit complete defenses. They way they are able to sign the good recruits they do is by selling them that they can play offense. Many would be DB's/LB's in the SEC, Big 10, and upper ACC schools. The good defensive players go to those P5 schools and the G6 get what they can get to field a defense.
Very good point.

True.

And the old saying is recruit defense, scheme offense and it's 100% true. You have like 5-6 basic fronts and about the same amount of coverages on defense. And with all these hurry up offenses you can't even substitute and really scheme so if you don't have A1 athletes you just give up points in bunches because it's all 1-on-1 matchups in basic coverages. That's why I never critique the defense of these smaller schools.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
True.

And the old saying is recruit defense, scheme offense and it's 100% true. You have like 5-6 basic fronts and about the same amount of coverages on defense. And with all these hurry up offenses you can't even substitute and really scheme so if you don't have A1 athletes you just give up points in bunches because it's all 1-on-1 matchups in basic coverages. That's why I never critique the defense of these smaller schools.
Me either, it's nearly impossible in the modern era for those type of schools to get complete rosters of defense talent.

Another factor. They can't get great DC's or top notch defensive position coaches. As soon as one becomes good they are lured away by big schools that can pay top dollar. They move to a P5 school making almost as much as the HC at the school they left as a DC.

Heck even numerous Big 12, Pac 12, and lower end ACC teams can't get the top notch defensive players or coaches.

Yes, 42 is young, but not 36. Nothing more meant.

Great to see another Memphian on the board. Can basically ditto the above...and actually did in many aspects.

He is correct, as mentioned, Norvell recruited better. He kept a few Arizona State contacts and got them to come to Memphis, like Pop...irony is in his 2016 class Augustus was arguably his top recruit, yet has rarely seen the field, in spite of defensive struggles, yes, Carter is a stud, and getting even a few four stars to Memphis is rare.

He could up that at Florida.

With all of that, I hope he stays at Memphis. Graduated from then MSU and work at the university now.
Know Bob, Bridget and some of the legal counsel and a boatload of players and pep squad members. But as mentioned, know them more cocktail party style and certainly not as an insider.

But, if Norvell leaves, Florida would be the best landing spot.

Great to see another Memphian on the board. Can basically ditto the above...and actually did in many aspects.

He is correct, as mentioned, Norvell recruited better. He kept a few Arizona State contacts and got them to come to Memphis, like Pop...irony is in his 2016 class Augustus was arguably his top recruit, yet has rarely seen the field, in spite of defensive struggles, yes, Carter is a stud, and getting even a few four stars to Memphis is rare.

With all of that, I hope he stays at Memphis. Graduated from then MSU and work at the university now.
Know Bob, Bridget and some of the legal counsel and a boatload of players and pep squad members. But as mentioned, know them more cocktail party style and certainly not as an insider.

My dream scenario would be Florida to get Frost, Norvell to stay at Memphis. Florida would get a good young coach. Memphis would keep theirs. And UCF wouldn't be as much as a threat to Memphis.

However I'm realistic and know the Memphis/Norvell connection won't last forever. If anyone gets him I hope UF does.

Fuente is another top target I'm hoping for.

Me either, it's nearly impossible in the modern era for those type of schools to get complete rosters of defense talent.

Another factor. They can't get great DC's or top notch defensive position coaches. As soon as one becomes good they are lured away by big schools that can pay top dollar. They move to a P5 school making almost as much as the HC at the school they left as a DC.

Heck even numerous Big 12, Pac 12, and lower end ACC teams can't get the top notch defensive players or coaches.

Exactly. And that's why I've always preferred offensive coaches. As long as you can recruit you'll have a good defense for the most part, offense ain't like that. It's much more complex and scheme oriented.

My dream scenario would be Florida to get Frost, Norvell to stay at Memphis. Florida would get a good young coach. Memphis would keep theirs. And UCF wouldn't be as much as a threat to Memphis.

However I'm realistic and know the Memphis/Norvell connection won't last forever. If anyone gets him I hope UF does.

Fuente is another top target I'm hoping for.

Agree.

Should at least make a call to his agent. While indoibt he would be ready to leave Tech this soon, he is a really solid guy, we are the type of final destination job he might leave for. And he is more seasoned than Norvell, winning in both Memphis and at VT. Memphis was a complete rebuild, and he did it, Tech a retooling, and he appears on his way.

Frost less seasoned but just seems like a bad ass hard worker no nonsense guy and Nebraska in the future doesn't scare me.

Darren Heitner, Forbes, agent lists
Norvell, leading candidate
Barbers
Campbell
Mullen
Frost, more likely Nebraska though
Fuente, unlikely
Stoops, expensive

Comments are his

O'Leary left behind nothing. Frost has taken that noodled arm 5'11 185 lb QB (Milton) and has made him look tremendous.

Not to mention Frost would prefer a dual threat QB. He's doing it without an ideal fit for his system like a good coach he can adapt.

Noodle arm, funny.
Noodle arm is #2 in NCAA passing efficiency. Noodle arm has 16 TD's and has sat out several 4th Quarters, tonight most of the 3rd and all of the 4th. Noodle arm had a 24-26 night, 275 yards, for 3 TD's

Update:
2017:
Passing: 129-177 (72.9%) for 1,997 yds (285 yds per game), 19 TD's, 3 INT's
Rushing: 43 carries for 254 yds (5.9 yds per rush), 2 TD's

Frost brought noodle arm to UCF. He is exactly what he wants for his system. Noodle arm was Frosts first phone call, and his first recruit. Frost took noodle arm away from Univ of Hawaii, where he was committed.

Noodle arm is named Mckenzie Milton

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Last edited:
Reactions: darthyader
Frost (though this Austin Peay game is concerning).

I’d much rather have Norvell than Campbell.

Campbell is a defensive lineman who has a coaching background in OL.

Not a fan of that.

And Norvell is all offense and 7-1 at Memphis this year.
Funny you say Austin Peay, I just read an article saying that their coach Will Healy may be the brightest young coaching star out there that nobody knows about, only like 32 years old, but has worked miracles so far with POS Austin Peay program. So, don't let this concern you about Frost as much as you first thought.

Reactions: footnfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT