ADVERTISEMENT

Official Next University of Florida Head Coach Thread

No clue. The AD did just re-up for 5 years, so who the heck knows. If Scott leaves, he has raised the bar and ability for UCF to attract a good to very good Coach i hope.

If I were wagering, I would bet he leaves in 1-2 years. He will only be more valuable, but again, only to people know.Scott and his wife.

I still think he goes to Nebraska after this season ends.

I still think he goes to Nebraska after this season ends.

If that’s his dream job, he’s not going to let them hire someone else. Job might not be open in 2-3 years. He might not be the hot candidate anymore. What if he wins 9 games a year instead of 11? If the opportunity is there he has to take it.

No clue. The AD did just re-up for 5 years, so who the heck knows. If Scott leaves, he has raised the bar and ability for UCF to attract a good to very good Coach i hope.

If I were wagering, I would bet he leaves in 1-2 years. He will only be more valuable, but again, only to people know.Scott and his wife.
I think it would be a huge risk for him to think he will be more valuable next year. This is the year that his alma mater will be open. It's a year where a lot of prestigious programs (UF, UT, A&M) are (or would be) interested in him. He's currently undefeated, you can't typically improve upon being undefeated. Things happen, and something like an injury to a star QB could bring with it a few losses.

If he has his sights ultimately set on P5 and National Championship football, he would be best suited to make that jump now.

Reactions: footnfan1

He needs to strike now while he's hot. 8-4 at a commuter directional school probably wont get you a big boy job

I think it would be a huge risk for him to think he will be more valuable next year. This is the year that his alma mater will be open. It's a year where a lot of prestigious programs (UF, UT, A&M) are (or would be) interested in him. He's currently undefeated, you can't typically improve upon being undefeated. Things happen, and something like an injury to a star QB could bring with it a few losses.

If he has his sights ultimately set on P5 and National Championship football, he would be best suited to make that jump now.
Agreed, if he can find the perfect fit. If not, I think he passes. Only he knows.

8:25 p.m.: CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd reported late Wednesday that “Florida and Kelly are believed to be going back and forth” on retaining current assistants, with defensive coordinator Randy Shannon being one of those mentioned.
Would that be the same Florida defensive coordinator who we repeatedly are told is ‘highly respected’ (or somesuch) in the U(F)AA, who publicly admitted, late in the 2017 season, that his Florida defense is a ‘terrible tackling team’ (or somesuch)? Which evoked fan-speculation that even the home game against UAB might not add another victory to this football season.

So U(F)AA officials are foolish enough to risk scuttling a deal with Kelly to save a job at UF for its defensive coordinator (previously fired as head coach at U. Miami), whose teams at UF can't even perform a fundamental task of football defense!? Or might it be a U(F)AA-insider effort at sabotage!?

(This was originally posted in this thread as #360: Nov 23, 2017 at 12:36 a.m. It was deleted by its poster because he needed a full night of sleep before Thanksgiving dawned, but his sleep was being delayed waaay past midnight by a time-wasting technical problem that prevented him from editing his reply as needed to give proper credit for unintentionally uncredited quoted text. So he's resubmitting it 1½ days later.)

Last edited:
Football Scoop: "Lars Anderson of Bleacher Report notes tonight his source tells him Scott Frost to Nebraska is a done deal. Anderson holds himself out as having deep connections to Nebraska. For what it is worth, sources tell FootballScoop Florida officials feel very confident in their ability to secure Frost as their next head coach."

We will probably miss out on Frost also. He will just use us to get the best deal possible from Nebraska.

We will probably miss out on Frost also. He will just use us to get the best deal possible from Nebraska.
He doesn’t need to use UF to get a great deal from his alma mater. I believe Nebraska is going to give him a great offer no matter what and that is likely where he will end up.

Chris Landry
@LandryFootball
Replying to @esf0242
He liked the UF job--resources, etc.---but never really saw that as personality fit.....UF began to sense that & had to move on......don't think $ was deal breaker....
9:02 PM · Nov 24, 2017

From Thomas Goldkamp;

OK, here's what I have. First off, it's been extremely difficult to get information the past several hours, as most of my sources have clammed up completely. I spoke to one source who told me the general feeling is that everyone on the UF side is quite confused.

I stand by what I reported that there was an overwhelming feeling that Kelly and Florida were on the same page leaving the Sunday meeting and that UF felt good that Kelly would ultimately be the next the head coach.
Even Wednesday night I was getting stuff from guys about some of the details in terms of what Florida was willing to agree to that Kelly wanted. This was a Saban-to-Alabama, Harbaugh-to-Michigan type package that they had put together in terms of control of the program and their commitment level to him financially. I'm not sure there's anything else they could have done, because at some point you have to just realize the other guy is going to demand something that's just not doable if he's not comfortable with the level of commitment they were already willing to provide.

I'm not entirely certain that Florida has 100% written Kelly off. Again, the lack of communication from my sources leading up to this has left me a bit puzzled, likely because they're as blindsided by some of this as we were.
But I'd say given the quality of the people who have reported it looks like Florida's chances are kaput, it would take something exceptionally bizarre at this point for Kelly to Florida to happen.

I have been told that the Taggart interest may also be coming from Florida's side at this point, which is contrary to what we were told early on. That may be an option they explore. I don't have much to add on Frost, other than to point to the one source I had throughout the Kelly stuff who maintained he was still a real option. Presumably that's still the case (I don't have anything on Nebraska, but many feel Lars Anderson is fairly credible when it comes to the Huskers).

Hopefully we'll get more soon. I think the first step is getting through tomorrow and Sunday and figuring out which dominos land where in terms of Chip Kelly, and then we'll have a clearer picture of where this thing is headed going forward.

Reactions: bradleygator
From Thomas Goldkamp;

OK, here's what I have. First off, it's been extremely difficult to get information the past several hours, as most of my sources have clammed up completely. I spoke to one source who told me the general feeling is that everyone on the UF side is quite confused.

I stand by what I reported that there was an overwhelming feeling that Kelly and Florida were on the same page leaving the Sunday meeting and that UF felt good that Kelly would ultimately be the next the head coach.
Even Wednesday night I was getting stuff from guys about some of the details in terms of what Florida was willing to agree to that Kelly wanted. This was a Saban-to-Alabama, Harbaugh-to-Michigan type package that they had put together in terms of control of the program and their commitment level to him financially. I'm not sure there's anything else they could have done, because at some point you have to just realize the other guy is going to demand something that's just not doable if he's not comfortable with the level of commitment they were already willing to provide.

I'm not entirely certain that Florida has 100% written Kelly off. Again, the lack of communication from my sources leading up to this has left me a bit puzzled, likely because they're as blindsided by some of this as we were.
But I'd say given the quality of the people who have reported it looks like Florida's chances are kaput, it would take something exceptionally bizarre at this point for Kelly to Florida to happen.

I have been told that the Taggart interest may also be coming from Florida's side at this point, which is contrary to what we were told early on. That may be an option they explore. I don't have much to add on Frost, other than to point to the one source I had throughout the Kelly stuff who maintained he was still a real option. Presumably that's still the case (I don't have anything on Nebraska, but many feel Lars Anderson is fairly credible when it comes to the Huskers).

Hopefully we'll get more soon. I think the first step is getting through tomorrow and Sunday and figuring out which dominos land where in terms of Chip Kelly, and then we'll have a clearer picture of where this thing is headed going forward.
That's the best explanation I've read all day. Thanks.

From Thomas Goldkamp;

I just don't see Florida paying a 3 million buyout to get Taggart. No way that happens unless Kelly was heading there getting rid of the buyout money.

He basically just repeats the same stuff from Twitter.

Taggert has a 46-50 coaching record. Even taking into consideration that when he took over Western KY and then USF, they were in bad shape and he took a bunch of losses while building the programs back up, he's only 6-5 in his 1st years at a P5 program. Just concerns me that after 96 games his record is under .500.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT