ADVERTISEMENT

Official Next University of Florida Head Coach Thread

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
Guy who tweeted this morning we were working with Mac's reps on the buyout, so take it with a grain of salt:

Darren Heitner ✔ @DarrenHeitner
Many rumors about who next UF coach will be but I’m told it’s pretty clear Mike Norvell is lead candidate
6:44 PM - Oct 28, 2017 · Davie, FL

Frost (though this Austin Peay game is concerning).

I’d much rather have Norvell than Campbell.

Campbell is a defensive lineman who has a coaching background in OL.

Not a fan of that.

And Norvell is all offense and 7-1 at Memphis this year.

Reactions: CompuGator
I like Norvell but not my first choice. That Campbell from Iowa St is a heck of a coach as well. He's one to keep an eye on.

Reactions: canes580
That seems to be a name you hear but he is having a really bad year. I am not sure where he used to be. Was he at AZ State or one of those schools as OC or something? Thought I remember that name from the OC talk back in 2013.
Really bad year? Norvell is 7-1 this year at Memphis.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I mixed him up with the other Norvell who coached at AZ State also.
Huh? Wow your either very confused or really don't follow football that closely. Norvell has been at Arizona State as the OC under Todd Graham. Arizona St had very good offenses with Norvell as the OC

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Norvell is also only 36, which can be good or bad but with his experience already I feel pretty good about it.

Though he’s also taking advantage of the work Fuente did, so that’s concerning.

Matt Campbell just checks off too many boxes I don’t care for.

Fuente is very good but his offense he actually got from Norvell. Norvell is a very good recruiter as well. My concerns are obviously lack of experience.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Norvell is also only 36, which can be good or bad but with his experience already I feel pretty good about it.

Though he’s also taking advantage of the work Fuente did, so that’s concerning.

Matt Campbell just checks off too many boxes I don’t care for.
Yeah I always worry about mid major coaches who are suddenly hot. Sometimes they simply have a significant talent advantage. It’s easier to do at a lower level of competition. Even one guy like Randy Moss at Marshall can make a coach look like a genius.

We’ve seen those coaches hired by a big school and flame out over and over again.

Fuente is very good but his offense he actually got from Norvell. Norvell is a very good recruiter as well. My concerns are obviously lack of experience.
When Norvell goes to another school that’s losing and builds them into a winner then I’ll believe. Until then as far as we know he’s living on the talent advantage that Fuentes built for him.

Think Urban Meyer at Utah. Which had never been a winner in 100 years of football.

When Norvell goes to another school that’s losing and builds them into a winner then I’ll believe. Until then as far as we know he’s living on the talent advantage that Fuentes built for him.

Think Urban Meyer at Utah. Which had never been a winner in 100 years of football.
That is possible. With that being said he is winning with a Tennessee reject QB in Riley Ferguson.

As I have stated many times he wouldn't be my first choice.

Frost (though this Austin Peay game is concerning).

I’d much rather have Norvell than Campbell.

Campbell is a defensive lineman who has a coaching background in OL.

Not a fan of that.

And Norvell is all offense and 7-1 at Memphis this year.

They have almost 70 points through 3 quarters and like 400 plus on offense, at Central Florida.. Of course those schools never play any defense, that never changes anything in regards to us just having a coach that even tries on offense much less be elite or even just really good, if we become great with our now personnel and the guys coming in, especially at QB.. We would be set to win, IMMEDIATELY...

That is possible. With that being said he is winning with a Tennessee reject QB in Riley Ferguson.

As I have stated many times he wouldn't be my first choice.
I’ve watched a couple of Memphis games. Don’t get me wrong, I like his offense.

Frost is more impressive to me. Buts it’s hard to know what O’Leary left behind for him there. O’Leary had a lot of success before it all fell apart his last year.

Probably too inexperienced for Florida, but Bill Clark would another guy to look at in the future. The Alabama Board of Trusteesz has tried to kill UAB's program, but he has led them to a decent record.

There are

If you going to bring up assistant coaches, I would look at Jeremy Pruitt.

Comes from the Saban coaching tree.Was successful as the defensive coordinator at both FSU and Georgia. Also known as great recruiter

Yeahhh ahhhh no.

O'Leary left behind nothing. Frost has taken that noodled arm 5'11 185 lb QB (Milton) and has made him look tremendous.

Not to mention Frost would prefer a dual threat QB. He's doing it without an ideal fit for his system like a good coach he can adapt.

Reactions: PilotDoctor

Norvell succeeded Fuente at Memphis. Fuente was a coordinator at TCU, Norvell at Arizona State. Fuente had to completely rebuild Memphis. Norvell has continued that success but has recruited better and many freshmen and sophomores are major contributors already.

Fuente would be worth a talk...although he seems incredibly solid and not one to leave VTech so soon. Not sure he will remain there forever and a Florida would be a top tier job that might lure him but would suspect it is too soon. He is very satisfied in Blacksburg, but should make him refuse an interview.

Norvell is indeed very young, but clearly seems to get it, but would AD be shy about another coach without biggest conference experience like a Campbell , not necessarily him though.

There are

If you going to bring up assistant coaches, I would look at Jeremy Pruitt.

Comes from the Saban coaching tree.Was successful as the defensive coordinator at both FSU and Georgia. Also known as great recruiter

Lol that’s a joke, right?

Norvell succeeded Fuente at Memphis. Fuente was a coordinator at TCU, Norvell at Arizona State. Fuente had to completely rebuild Memphis. Norvell has continued that success but has recruited better and many freshmen and sophomores are major contributors already.

Fuente would be worth a talk...although he seems incredibly solid and not one to leave VTech so soon. Not sure he will remain there forever and a Florida would be a top tier job that might lure him but would suspect it is too soon. He is very satisfied in Blacksburg, but should make him refuse an interview.

Norvell is indeed very young, but clearly seems to get it, but would AD be shy about another coach without biggest conference experience like a Campbell , not necessarily him though.
Yes I know all about the careers of Fuente and Norvell. Fuente's offense he got from Norvell.

Reactions: Jasonbergerlaw

Norvell is of course using many of Fuente's players, but he has recruited well and a bunch of his recruits are playing key roles.

Meyer did it at Bowling Green, then went to Utah, and did it again, so he was not making as large of a jump.

I agree that it would be nice to see a Norvell win for another three or four years, either at Memphis or at a slightly higher profile place.

Fuente himself...as mentioned above, is more in the Meyer mode. Memphis to VTech to a school like a Florida maybe, just do not think he would do it to atech this soon, but this could be his career opportunity so he has real food for thought. And Gainesville is cool, unlike a shithole like Tennessee.

Lol that’s a joke, right?
tou can view it how you want, but Jeremy Pruitt has a lot of similarities to Kirby Smart. Pruitt's resume as an assistant coach is probably better because he has actually been pretty successful as a defensive coach without Saban holding his hand

Yes I know all about the careers of Fuente and Norvell. Fuente's offense he got from Norvell.

He may have...I am sure coaches talk and share plans. Memphis coach may have met with Arizona State coordinator or TCU coordinator may have done the same. When did they pow wow? I have a vague recollection of Memphis visiting Tempe...something like that.

I wasn't doubting, just noting they were not together at Memphis. You know, many may not.

Reactions: dakid_0812
He may have...I am sure coaches talk and share plans. Memphis coach may have met with Arizona State coordinator or TCU coordinator may have done the same. When did they pow wow?
There was an article written about it. I'll see if I can find it again.

Todd Graham at Arizona State with Norvell at OC: 34-19
Todd Graham at Arizona State without Norvell at OC: 9-10

ADVERTISEMENT