ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

We need another Percy Harvin. Nothing beats football speed like that. Track guys can't compare if they are stiff runners.
Yeah well those types of players are very very rare. Percy Harvin/Reggie Bush type players aren’t exactly in abundance. We may never see another Harvin type player at UF in our lifetime. That type of player is that rare.

UF flips WR aAbrams from FSU. Both Abrams and Fsu were looking to move on as FSU has 5 receivers in the class. Decent player

#43 WR Tawaski Abrams 6-0 175 10.6 100-M - FSU flip to UF​

Trying to put a good face on the flip is understandable, but reality might differ?

FSU 2024 Has 2 WR Commits:

#58 Elijah Moore 6-4.5 200

#62 WR Camdon Frier 5-11.5 175

==========
#9 Ath Micahi Danzy 6-1 175 - A gifted athlete that has done a variety of different things at the prep level. Opinions seem to vary on future position, but a case could be made that he’s looking more and more like a full-time running back.

#11 Ath Lawayne McCoy 6-0 170
(WR/DB)

#34 Ath BJ Givson 6-0 188 (DB/WR) (former baseball commit to Tenn)

#81 Ath Ricky Knight III 6-0 168 (CB/WR)
33 Tkl's, 1 INT -- 4 Rec for 92 Yds

Jus-sayin....

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

#43 WR Tawaski Abrams 6-0 175 10.6 100-M - FSU flip to UF​

Trying to put a good face on the flip is understandable, but reality might differ?

FSU 2024 Has 2 WR Commits:

#58 Elijah Moore 6-4.5 200

#62 WR Camdon Frier 5-11.5 175

==========
#9 Ath Micahi Danzy 6-1 175 - A gifted athlete that has done a variety of different things at the prep level. Opinions seem to vary on future position, but a case could be made that he’s looking more and more like a full-time running back.

#11 Ath Lawayne McCoy 6-0 170
(WR/DB)

#34 Ath BJ Givson 6-0 188 (DB/WR) (former baseball commit to Tenn)

#81 Ath Ricky Knight III 6-0 168 (CB/WR)
33 Tkl's, 1 INT -- 4 Rec for 92 Yds

Jus-sayin....

Ha. He's a good player, I was more so going against someone saying it's a "big loss" for us. He's a good player but it's not a big loss for us. Would I rather have him? Of course. Danzi ran the same times as Abrams in the 100m and is faster in the 200m but Danzi is going to play RB for us, not receiver and honestly I'd rather have Abrams than him.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Ha. He's a good player, I was more so going against someone saying it's a "big loss" for us. He's a good player but it's not a big loss for us. Would I rather have him? Of course. Danzi ran the same times as Abrams in the 100m and is faster in the 200m but Danzi is going to play RB for us, not receiver and honestly I'd rather have Abrams than him.
Come on now...you were totally trying to dismiss it as no big deal as if the nolies didn't want him while also trying to take a shot at the Gators. Yes, anytime you lose a top 250 player it's a big deal and anytime you get a commit from a top 250 player it's a big deal. Who know in the long run if it will work out. We shall see.

Yep, assuming both the ATH play receiver. Abrams is a big loss for the noles. Pure speed receiver and of the 6, he was your 2nd best recruit at receiver. No way to spin losing a top 300 player. Good flip for Florida.
#43 WR Tawaski 'TJ' Abrams 5-11 175 10.6 100-M - FSU Flip
A speedy, elusive playmaker with the ball in his hands, Abrams caught 37 passes for 429 yards (11.6) and five touchdowns, rushed 21 times for 248 yards (11.8) and two touchdowns, and averaged 22 yards per kick return and 28.5 yards per punt return as a junior in 2022. (next man up after Pearsall?)

Abrams also runs track for Dunbar. He produced a personal record of 10.62 100-M in March 2022 and posted another two 10.6-second-range results in the same event this year.

#29 WR Jerrae Hawkins 5-9 165

#43 WR Tawaski Abrams 5-11 175

#50 WR Izaiah Williams 6-0 172

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...aski-tj-abrams-flips-commitment-fsu-seminoles
==========

Note: Mertz finished the 2022 season with 2,136 Yds, 19 TD's to 10 Ints, which produced his highest individual passer rating as a starter. As a pocket-passer, Mertz was sacked 23 times in 2022 despite leading an offense that ran the ball nearly 58% of the time.

Come on now...you were totally trying to dismiss it as no big deal as if the nolies didn't want him while also trying to take a shot at the Gators. Yes, anytime you lose a top 250 player it's a big deal and anytime you get a commit from a top 250 player it's a big deal. Who know in the long run if it will work out. We shall see.
I don't think it's a big deal that we lost him, wasn't taking a shot at the Gators lol

That 200m speed is good for getting to the hot dog stand first? ;)

That 200m speed is good for getting to the hot dog stand first? ;)

Yea it doesn't really do anything, fsu fans were hyping it and I'm like, 200m? Who cares. His 100m is 10.6 which is pretty fast but idk...I watched his film and he was pulling away from guys but didn't look 10.6 football fast. Abrams looks more football fast than Danzi imo

Reactions: NavigatorII

CBN Provides Injury Update on Several Sidelined Gators​

Billy Napier updated the status of projected starters cornerback Devin Moore, linebacker Derek Wingo, guard Micah Mazzccua and others at SEC Media Days.

defenders Devin Moore (shoulder) and Derek Wingo (shoulder, foot) — who suffered injuries during the 2022 season — are prepared to assume their high-volume roles in the rotation of their respective positions ahead of 2023 when week one preparation begins July 31.

"All have been through return to play protocol," CBN said on Wednesday. "Those guys are participating. They're completely cleared and participating in OTAs."

Micah Mazzccua is expected to align beside starting left tackle Austin Barber, creating a dynamic tackle-guard combo on the left side for the offense to depend on in both the rushing attack and passing protection.

A shoulder injury during the spring practice regimen derailed him from participating in a considerable portion of the acclimation period, as the wound required surgery. However, just under four months later, Mazzccua has made significant strides to prepare himself for the upcoming fall camp.

He's on track to suit up come week one in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Kamryn Waites,
"Kam's doing really well," Napier said. "We anticipate him being available at some point during the season. Really pleased with that, and I think he's ahead of schedule a little bit. That process has went really well.

"Again, that's a guy who we think has a bright future. Hopefully, we get him in position where he can take some reps at the end of the year."

FWIW,
Other articles say he is out for this season. Guess we will find out.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...all-billy-napier-injury-update-micah-mazzccua

CBN Addresses Florida's Recruiting Surge and Sustainability​

Gators head coach Billy Napier opens up about Florida's recent recruiting success and whether or not it can be sustained:
"I like to think it's just the start."

Results of CBN's Mega recruiting Month - June

Of the 44 class of 2024 high school recruits to pay Florida an official visit in June, 20 currently consider themselves committed to the Gators.
Only 15 prospects were or have since pledged elsewhere,
while 9 are undecided about their future college at this time.

"I just think we've got an incredible product to sell. I would put our player experience up against anyone in the country. The degree, the alumni network, the opportunity to compete in the best conference in the country. You have history, you have tradition."

The final hurdle to jump on the trail, according to Napier, is the Gators' lack of recent on-field success.

I am not making stupid W-L predictions,
BUT
I AM guardedly optimistic about this season -
NOT CFP level good, but better than most "pundits" & "talking heads" think.

In fact, I am going to pull a Sadgator & guarantee we will beat Vandy !
LOL

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ier-addresses-recruiting-surge-sustainability

Last edited:

SEC Media Days notebook from Billy Napier​

What CBN had to say during Media Days on Wednesday.

“We want to continue to recruit the best high school players in the country and establish some stability from a roster management standpoint and do less work in the portal in the future,” Napier said.

OL Micah Mazzccua hasn’t been cleared yet but should be cleared sometime in August.

OL Jalen Farmer and LB Derek Wingo missed time during the spring and Napier says both are cleared and are going through offseason workouts.

QB Max Brown is someone that has impressed Napier and the coaching staff this summer.
Look out Utes - Max Brown & the triple option headed your way !

Quarterback Graham Mertz work ethic is something that stood out to Napier and the staff during the evaluation process, and he has impressed the staff.

Napier says having Austin Armstrong on the staff has helped the defense a lot but he also says having all of the other coaches return was big for the defense as well.
Napier noted that all of the assistants were in their first year in his system last year.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/sec-media-days-notebook-from-billy-napier/

Last edited:

Knijeah Harris 'absolutely ready' to contribute along Gator offensive front​

Knijeah Harris took first-team reps at left guard throughout the spring.

Napier told reporters on Wednesday at SEC Media Days in Nashville that while Mazzccua is "doing great" and "on-schedule" with his recovery, he has not yet been fully cleared to return to action.

But the Gators hardly seem worried about their left guard spot. A true freshman has proven capable in the role.

"Knijeah Harris is a real smart, talented kid," starting center Kingsley Eguakun told Swamp247. "You could tell from the first day."

When Mazzccua's injury removed him from the action in the spring, the Gators quickly turned to Harris, feeding him first-team reps and allowing him to reprise the role in their spring game when he took the field with the Gators starting unit.

According to multiple sources, Harris largely held his own throughout closed practices, showing flashes of his high upside.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...line-micah-mazzccua-knijeah-harris-212989317/

Reactions: PacoGator19
No offense to Napier or the staff who are doing a fine job recruiting, but the “long-term” “multi-year fix” thing is an absolute fallacy. sadgator rejects it and refuses to accept it.

sadgator does not dispute that full talent acquisition and roster building takes time, but if you believe and endorse the theory that your team must continue to suck until all of the correct pieces are in place…or until your coach gets “his” players in place…

you are buying a complete bill of goods…

and you are settling…

Competent and ultra-successful coaches maximize talent they inherit and turn programs around quickly…it is not even debatable given the vast number of examples available…

In fact, sadgator could argue that “long-term” team building is the exception, not the rule…

Just sayin’…

Last edited:
No offense to Napier or the staff who are doing a fine job recruiting, but the “long-term” “multi-year fix” thing is an absolute fallacy. sadgator rejects it and refuses to accept it.

sadgator does not dispute that full talent acquisition and roster building takes time, but if you believe and endorse the theory that your team must continue to suck until all of the correct pieces are in place…or until your coach gets “his” players in place…

and you are settling…

Competent and ultra-successful coaches maximize talent they inherit and turn programs around quickly…it is not even debatable given the vast number of examples available…

In fact, sadgator could argue that “long-term” team building is the exception, not the rule…

Just sayin’…

I think if Napier was better in the portal he would have had more early success. It's definitely a different game in today's world.

and you are settling…

Just sayin’…
I have to disagree with you on this one sad. If we hadn’t been in a decade long drought with talent and cultural issues yea then a quick fix cou have happened (Meyer and SOS).

and you are settling…

Just sayin’…

I agree you can't be going 6-6/7-5 three straight seasons as no big time coach does that at a place like UF. I can live with it this year though due to what the last coach left.

You just reminded me of something. Do you remember John Capel? He was a return man during Spurrier's era. He was a track star and fast as a bullet. But, it took 10 yards to get the wheels grinding. Then there was a kid from St Augustine who went from 0-60 mph in 2 seconds. Brandon James was his name. Now that is football speed.

I think if Napier was better in the portal he would have had more early success. It's definitely a different game in today's world.
Numbers,

The other limiting factor we are ignoring is CBN limitations as a HC. His only prior HC experience was his 5 years at ULL.

This is one of the two BIG Reason why Brian Kelly - 30 years as a HFC - 12 years at ND & now the LSU HC, has done much more - much faster - experience !

Kelly has more 10 win seasons than CBN has seasons !

Other reason - Kelly took over LSU - a much better team than the Gators.

CBN is now trying to turn things around at UF, a team in the topmost tier of CFB - the SEC.
On the Job training at this level of CFB is painful.

CBN obviously made some sub-optimal decisions/choices in his 1st days at UF.
He also made some great ones - the recruiting infrastructure & hopefully, his current staff of on the field Asst coaches.

I'm not willing to give CBN a 10 year blank check - but I don't think he needs it.

Not going to make any W-L predictions - other than a guarantee that we will beat the mighty Vandy Commodores this year.

We WILL be better this year & continue to get even better in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu939913
CBN a 'loser' at 2023 SEC media days on Wednesday

"...For as thrilling as (Akansas head coach Sam) Pittman was on stage, Napier was the opposite. From his prolonged opening statement to the coach-speak-filled answers, there was little enthusiasm or humor from Napier.

It’s representative of the energy surrounding the Gators heading into his second year at the helm. Florida went 6-7 last season and has its win total at 5.5, according to DraftKings."

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/20/sec-media-days-2023-loser-from-day-3-billy-napier/

CBN still finding his way at SEC media days & tends to be a little reserved when in a situation like this.

When you consider the source of this statement - Stefan Krajisnik of the Mississippi Clarion Ledger (WTF) - you will put this comment in its proper place -

giphy.gif

Other thoughts on CBN at SEC Media days -

"...
As predicted, Napier didn’t say much on the podium that is going to raise alarms or ease fears.

He kept things close to the vest and maintain his calm demeanor.

Anyone trying to drive a narrative based solely on his SEC Media Days appearance is really going to have to work hard to do it."

https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/07...napshot-reaction-billy-napiers-sec-media-day/

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicktheslick

DJ Lagway is already recruiting 2025 wideouts​

Another tell that recruiting is going well is when your 2024 players are going out of their way to recruit guys a class after them.

Well, that’s exactly what 5-star Gator commit DJ Lagway is doing. He’s got his eye on the 2025 class and is trying to recruit some wideouts to come join him in Gainesville.

For right now, his top 2025 target looks to be Taz Williams Jr.

Taz is ranked as the 270th-best player in the country, the 39th-best wideout in the 2025 class, and the 47th-best player coming out of Texas, per On3’s Industry Rankings.

https://hailfloridahail.com/2023/07...ecruiting-dj-lagway-recruiting-2025-wideouts/

Lagway the key reason we are having recruiting success in Texas !

Last edited:

Rivals 250 DT D’Antre Robinson Commitment - Thursday 7/20/23 2 PM​

FWIW
Gators likely to be just a hat on the table.

Robinson announced a top 10 of Colorado, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Ohio State, Georgia, Maryland, Texas, Texas A&M and Florida.

Texas has emerged as the favorite to land four-star defensive lineman D’antre Robinson.

Rivals’ Jason Suchomel entered a recruiting prediction for Robinson in favor of the Longhorns on Tuesday. The 6-foot-4 defensive lineman is rated the No. 50 overall prospect in Florida for the 2024 recruiting class, according to 247Sports composite.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/...e-robinson-2024-prediction-defensive-lineman/

Last edited:

Rivals 250 DT D’Antre Robinson Commitment - Thursday 7/20/23 2 PM​

FWIW
Gators likely to be just a hat on the table.

Robinson announced a top 10 of Colorado, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Ohio State, Georgia, Maryland, Texas, Texas A&M and Florida.

Texas has emerged as the favorite to land four-star defensive lineman D’antre Robinson.

Rivals’ Jason Suchomel entered a recruiting prediction for Robinson in favor of the Longhorns on Tuesday. The 6-foot-4 defensive lineman is rated the No. 50 overall prospect in Florida for the 2024 recruiting class, according to 247Sports composite.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/...e-robinson-2024-prediction-defensive-lineman/
UF or Texas. We are in it.

Reactions: Gator Fever
You just reminded me of something. Do you remember John Capel? He was a return man during Spurrier's era. He was a track star and fast as a bullet. But, it took 10 yards to get the wheels grinding. Then there was a kid from St Augustine who went from 0-60 mph in 2 seconds. Brandon James was his name. Now that is football speed.

James had a nice first move when fielding kicks. Would love to have another return man like him.

Reactions: NavigatorII
Numbers,

The other limiting factor we are ignoring is CBN limitations as a HC. His only prior HC experience was his 5 years at ULL.

This is one of the two BIG Reason why Brian Kelly - 30 years as a HFC - 12 years at ND & now the LSU HC, has done much more - much faster - experience !

Kelly has more 10 win seasons than CBN has seasons !

Other reason - Kelly took over LSU - a much better team than the Gators.

CBN is now trying to turn things around at UF, a team in the topmost tier of CFB - the SEC.
On the Job training at this level of CFB is painful.

CBN obviously made some sub-optimal decisions/choices in his 1st days at UF.
He also made some great ones - the recruiting infrastructure & hopefully, his current staff of on the field Asst coaches.

I'm not willing to give CBN a 10 year blank check - but I don't think he needs it.

Not going to make any W-L predictions - other than a guarantee that we will beat the mighty Vandy Commodores this year.

We WILL be better this year & continue to get even better in the near future.

I hope you are right about Vandy as that was embarrassing. Not sure on looking better overall this year though I think the defense should improve but if we don't in 2024 that is a major problem.

Reactions: fsu939913

DL D'Antre Robinson Commits to Texas Over Florida​

In-state defensive lineman D'Antre Robinson picks Texas as his collegiate destination over Florida.

The recruitment of Orlando (Fla.) Jones High School defensive lineman D'Antre Robinson has come to a close. He announced his commitment to Texas on Thursday, picking the Longhorns over significant interest from the Florida Gators and offers from 58 other schools.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ruiting-dantre-robinson-commits-to-texas-2024

We didn't get Robinson -
BUT
We got Nasir Johnson !

Both of them 4* DT (6-5, 290) & a 5.8 on the Rivals Rating Scale - We Good.

Last edited:
Reactions: seffnergator
I have to disagree with you on this one sad. If we hadn’t been in a decade long drought with talent and cultural issues yea then a quick fix cou have happened (Meyer and SOS).
Spurrer took over a decade long mess and several years of probation, and how'd he do right out of the gate?

Reactions: sadgator
Spurrer took over a decade long mess and several years of probation, and how'd he do right out of the gate?
Spurrier himself stated he inherited(talent) a program in good shape.
After the 1991 season he also said 1992 will be an uphill battle, and he was right.

They harped incessantly on the blitzing defense of '3rd & Grantham, and touted the coming improvements of new DC Toney.
Results?

The Gators ranked No. 129 of 131 FBS teams in third-down conversion percentage allowed,
No. 87 in scoring defense and
No. 97 in total defense, for the second-worst mark in the SEC.

Fingers crossed for the FNG DC Austin Armstrong,,, but on the bright side, it's going to be pretty difficult to get any worse....
==========

The Gators averaged just 209.8 passing yards per game, which ranked No. 90 among 131 FBS teams. The Gators also ranked 90th in pass play percentage and checked in at No. 117 in completion percentage, which marked one of the worst performances in recent program history.
And that was with the #4 NFL draft pick at QB....

Montrell Johnson and Trevor Etienne combined for 1,560 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns, making up a large part of what was one of the nation's most effective ground attacks. Additionally, quarterback Anthony Richardson ran for 654 yards and 9 TD's.

"I like having my hand on the scripts, the installation, that process," Napier said. "I think I can help establish our identity and personality as a team through that process.

The iG is fine with Billy continuing to run the offense and the play calling, but I'd still like to see him hire a dedicated QB coach for the year around development of the QB, and as an aid in recruiting them.

Graham is an accomplished player but more importantly, I've been impressed with the person, the leader. This guy has an incredible motor and work ethic. He is in the building and he is fanatical about his preparation. That's helped the competition. I think that's caused Jack to respond. Jack has had an incredible off-season and he's in position for great camp. -- And we have been really pleased with a young player, Max Brown. He's had a good summer. He's impressed the staff and he's impressed his teammates.
>>> Which allows the iG to still hold out some hope....

Mertz - 460 of 773 59.5%, for 5,405 Yds, 39 TD's, 19 Ints, 49 Sac, RTG 133.2
Miller ----
20 of 36 55.5% for for 281 Yds, 0 TD's, 0 Ints, 4 Sac, RTG 119.2
Brown - As yet unused....
HS OK 3A MVP, 25-2, 70+%, 7.8 YPC --- Sr 61 TD's to 4 TO's.

The iG's WAG on 2023:

Miller starts, 5 wins
Mertz starts, 6 wins
Brown starts 7-8 wins
But I'd be just fine if either Miller or Mertz were to prove me incorrect.... 😉

and you are settling…

Just sayin’…
I generally agree but it is possible that he inherited an insufficient roster and some really bad attitudes in the locker room.

and you are settling…

Just sayin’…
Love ya brother but you are part of the problem lol.

To understand the changllenges in front of UF isn't "buying a bill of goods" or "settling". It's called reality.

And yes, a very few of the greatest coaches in college football history have had quick turnarounds but it's far from the norm. - this isn't me "settling" either haha.

Love ya brother but you are part of the problem lol.

To understand the changllenges in front of UF isn't "buying a bill of goods" or "settling". It's called reality.

And yes, a very few of the greatest coaches in college football history have had quick turnarounds but it's far from the norm. - this isn't me "settling" either haha.

Some greats don't tho, Saban won 6 games his first yr and was in a better situation than Napier. How many did Kirby win? Dabo had a bad first yr and a half.

Tons of examples the other way tho so I think it just depends on situation. Imo. Napier should of had a better yr with AR at QB. He just should ahve but that doesn't mean he won't get progressively better.

I point to FSU and Norvell as a time when it took longer than a yr or 2. Norvell won 3 games his first yr (covid yr) then won 5 the yr after. Then won 10 last yr. He doubled his win total each yr. This yr we have our best team under Norvell talent wise. So in 4 yrs, it finally got to a point to where we have a good team. I think k Napier is doing the same and with the way he's recruiting, in a couple yrs the Gators will probably be ahead of where the Noles are.

One red flag to me is Napier hasn't closed on an elite HS QB yet. Rashada and Simmons both left at the last second. He NEEDS to reel in Lagway and keep him in the boat. If he can do that, the Gators will be fine, with or without Napier

I just hope that they don't have to lose 3-4-5 games before Brown sees some playing time....
Insta,

CBN's latest comments make me hopeful that a team with a run first mentality will give a true DT QB like Max Brown a real chance early in the season.

Realize & agree that being able to throw the ball is important & will only help our run game. Think we will be surprised with Max's passing skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT