ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

And just like that. I have heard rumors that the 12 team playoff scenario may already be changing and moving to 8. Mainly due to the conference realignment.
I hope not - I like 12 teams the most.

The top 4 get a bye week as a reward for a great season. And going to 12 gets in the small teams that are undefeated.

Cutting to 8 is going to piss off more ppl than needed.

The top 4 get a bye week as a reward for a great season. And going to 12 gets in the small teams that are undefeated.

I personally don’t like a 12 team playoff at all. Like it even less with all the conference realignment stuff

That’s slo helps square up with the teams that might not have played in their conference championship games and had the week off. Depending on timing of the first game that is.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
What is more attractive to you in the 8 team vs. 12?
I personally have never thought that 12 teams are deserving of an opportunity and I think it just creates more uncompetitive playoff games and it diminishes the value of the regular season. Now IMO with realignment it will just makes things worse. Do you really want to see teams from the new Big 12 or whatever is left of the ACC or Pac-12 go to the playoffs only to get annihilated?

After 4 seasons at Wis, 3 as the starter, Mertz led the Badgers' offense in 32 games, completing 59.1% of his passes with 5,332 passing yards, 38 touchdowns and 26 interceptions as a first-team signal-caller. He also rushed for eight scores.
3 Years 19/13 - 5,405 Yds, 38 TD's to 26 Ints, plus 8 rushing TD's to ?? LPF's
The iG's concerns on Mertz is his 26 Ints and his 49 sacks....

After 2 seasons at Lincoln Christian HS in Tulsa, Brown let his team's offense in 27 games, completing 255 of 358, 71.2% passing with 4,416 Yds, 17.3 yds/rec, 68 TD's, 10 Ints. (not throwing mostly 6-8 yard passes to boost his completion %)
He also rushed for 2,335 yds, 7.1 Ypc with 33 TD's to just 1 LPF.
2 Year's 25/2 - 6,751 Total Yds, 101 TD's to 11 T-O's.....

Sometimes HS stats can be skewed by a player that is so much physically bigger or faster than those he's playing against, but that's not the case with Max in HS at 6-2 200.
Max wasn't 6-4 245 and doing back-flips down the field,,, he was just a 2 year walk-on starter QB-dt that won the Okla 3A MVP his Sr year, over the 3A State Champ QB....

Gator's Current Roster Ht/Wt & experience entering 2023:
QB-pp Graham Mertz 6-3 218 rsJr - 4 years
QB-pp Jack Miller III 6-3 222 rsSo - 3 years
QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 212 rsFr - 1 year
(otherwise, if size and longevity are the key -- Micah Leon 6-5 224 rsSr, 5 years)

In the iG's OHO, how long you've been playing (experience) matters little. It's what you put on film, your stats, and your W/L record that shows who and what you are....
If stats didn't matter, then they wouldn't keep them. The iG believes that while the years of playing experience matters somewhat, it's the least of the stats that matter....
I.E. - 5 years of playing experience, but with a 5-60 W/L record for a bad example....
I have noticed that the NFL doesn't draft on a QB's number of years on a team or his total of starts....

Start Mertz, but if he doesn't move the team AND score (Int's / sacks), then have Max ready to go @ Utah....

It seems to me that Brown's running ability would be the best to help the Gator's RB's output, and the new OL ability to keep defenders out of the Gator's backfield, (sacks).

S.I's guess at the Gators 2023 QB Depth Chart:
Mertz > ? Brown or Miller ? > Leon > Leise

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ing-2023-quarterback-depth-chart-graham-mertz

This subject reminded me of something that happened in church in my back in the dark ages youth....

At the end of the church service, they pass around the offering plate.
The Deacon begins with the Preacher who put in a $5 bill.
After going around the congregation and then them departing, the Deacon returned to the Preacher to give him the plate. The Preacher sees only about $10 and some change in the plate and so complains that it's not much...
The Deacon responds --- "If you want to get more out of it, then you're gonna have to put more into it." (the same goes with Fr HS QB's it seems to me...)

It's a year old now, but here's a first impression pod-cast of Max when Billy recruited him.

As dismal as most seem to be concerning the Gator's 2023 team, I still have some hope for what they might be able to accomplish with this younger inexperienced team, coaches and players.....

Last edited:
On the 8 to 12 subject, I've long advocated an 8 team playoff.
The 5 Big Conf winners, plus the next 3 highest rated teams overall.
That let's a deserving Group of 5 team in, or a 2nd non-conf winner from the Power 5.

QB-dt Max Brown interview.
Just a FYI - As to Max's late entry into UF baseball as a W-O, Max was working as the bullpen catcher last season.

8 teams playoff is my preference too as it caps the games at 3 for any team because more than 3 games is too much and drowns out the regular season. At the end of any given season, it's usually 5 teams that deserve a shot at the title which is why 4 team playoff had so many controversial cutoffs on who should be the last team in. 8 teams covers all the legit contenders and also gets in the legit teams that stumbled for whatever reason in their conference title game and the undefeated G5 teams too. 12 teams waters down the playoffs, waters down the regular season, and gives more risk of legit title contenders suffering key injuries in an extra playoff game against some undeserving fringe squad.

8 teams playoff is my preference too as it caps the games at 3 for any team because more than 3 games is too much and drowns out the regular season. At the end of any given season, it's usually 5 teams that deserve a shot at the title which is why 4 team playoff had so many controversial cutoffs on who should be the last team in. 8 teams covers all the legit contenders and also gets in the legit teams that stumbled for whatever reason in their conference title game and the undefeated G5 teams too. 12 teams waters down the playoffs, waters down the regular season, and gives more risk of legit title contenders suffering key injuries in an extra playoff game against some undeserving fringe squad.

The only thing is an 8 team playoff will make it even harder to get in from the bloodbath SEC schedule and takes a 9-3 team out. 10-2 or 10-3 (SECCG appearance) with the new setup and no SEC east protection will be really difficult.

The only thing is an 8 team playoff will make it even harder to get in from the bloodbath SEC schedule and takes a 9-3 team out. 10-2 or 10-3 (SECCG appearance) with the new setup and no SEC east protection will be really difficult.
I don’t think so. If it comes down to only the Big 10 and the SEC basically being the only good conferences left then I think the SEC would still get 3-4 teams in. What it would do is keep out more of the “other” teams that really have no chance of winning the title to begin with coming from “lesser” conferences.

Reactions: Gator Fever
After 4 seasons at Wis, 3 as the starter, Mertz led the Badgers' offense in 32 games, completing 59.1% of his passes with 5,332 passing yards, 38 touchdowns and 26 interceptions as a first-team signal-caller. He also rushed for eight scores.
3 Years 19/13 - 5,405 Yds, 38 TD's to 26 Ints, plus 8 rushing TD's to ?? LPF's
The iG's concerns on Mertz is his 26 Ints and his 49 sacks....

After 2 seasons at Lincoln Christian HS in Tulsa, Brown let his team's offense in 27 games, completing 255 of 358, 71.2% passing with 4,416 Yds, 17.3 yds/rec, 68 TD's, 10 Ints. (not throwing mostly 6-8 yard passes to boost his completion %)
He also rushed for 2,335 yds, 7.1 Ypc with 33 TD's to just 1 LPF.
2 Year's 25/2 - 6,751 Total Yds, 101 TD's to 11 T-O's.....

Sometimes HS stats can be skewed by a player that is so much physically bigger or faster than those he's playing against, but that's not the case with Max in HS at 6-2 200.
Max wasn't 6-4 245 and doing back-flips down the field,,, he was just a 2 year walk-on starter QB-dt that won the Okla 3A MVP his Sr year, over the 3A State Champ QB....

Gator's Current Roster Ht/Wt & experience entering 2023:
QB-pp Graham Mertz 6-3 218 rsJr - 4 years
QB-pp Jack Miller III 6-3 222 rsSo - 3 years
QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 212 rsFr - 1 year
(otherwise, if size and longevity are the key -- Micah Leon 6-5 224 rsSr, 5 years)

In the iG's OHO, how long you've been playing (experience) matters little. It's what you put on film, your stats, and your W/L record that shows who and what you are....
If stats didn't matter, then they wouldn't keep them. The iG believes that while the years of playing experience matters somewhat, it's the least of the stats that matter....
I.E. - 5 years of playing experience, but with a 5-60 W/L record for a bad example....
I have noticed that the NFL doesn't draft on a QB's number of years on a team or his total of starts....

Start Mertz, but if he doesn't move the team AND score (Int's / sacks), then have Max ready to go @ Utah....

It seems to me that Brown's running ability would be the best to help the Gator's RB's output, and the new OL ability to keep defenders out of the Gator's backfield, (sacks).

S.I's guess at the Gators 2023 QB Depth Chart:
Mertz > ? Brown or Miller ? > Leon > Leise

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ing-2023-quarterback-depth-chart-graham-mertz

This subject reminded me of something that happened in church in my back in the dark ages youth....

At the end of the church service, they pass around the offering plate.
The Deacon begins with the Preacher who put in a $5 bill.
After going around the congregation and then them departing, the Deacon returned to the Preacher to give him the plate. The Preacher sees only about $10 and some change in the plate and so complains that it's not much...
The Deacon responds --- "If you want to get more out of it, then you're gonna have to put more into it." (the same goes with Fr HS QB's it seems to me...)

It's a year old now, but here's a first impression pod-cast of Max when Billy recruited him.

As dismal as most seem to be concerning the Gator's 2023 team, I still have some hope for what they might be able to accomplish with this younger inexperienced team, coaches and players.....

I think Brown will win the #2 job and will be the first option off the bench if Mertz isn't playing well.

Reactions: instaGATOR
That's what makes the regular season so much better in college football than any other sport, because regular season games are so important. 4 team playoff too small, 12 team playoff too large, 8 team playoff just right.

That's what makes the regular season so much better in college football than any other sport, because regular season games are so important. 4 team playoff too small, 12 team playoff too large, 8 team playoff just right.

Yep I was even thinking just 6 at one point to keep the regular season important. My guess is they chase money though and just tweek it from the highest 6 conference champs to the highest 5 and have 7 at large bids. That will probably get the SEC or Big 10 another spot most years.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Crypto Bitcoin GIF by :::Crypto Memes:::

The guy that was given the most attention from the QB's coach, and the most 1st team practice reps going all the way back to the Spring, was finally named the starter. I hope that no one was expecting me or anyone else to be surprised by that decision.."Mertz has, by all accounts, been the first quarterback up in drills and worked with the projected first-team offense more than any other passer dating back to spring camp."

The bottom line is that Mertz was always going to be the starter. That much has been clear since his January transfer. (so much for any 'real' QB competition to determine the starter)

Below are SI's All Gators' three biggest takeaways from Napier declaring Mertz, a fifth-year redshirt junior, the winner of his first quarterback competition as Florida's head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and he believes his hands-on approach can elevate Mertz's game above what was displayed during his stint with the Badgers. (Ihe iG just hopes it's more than he elevated AR-15's game and the Gator's offensive output in 22...) 🙄

As to Pearsall being UF's best receiver last year, in the iG's OHO, he was #3 behind both Shorter (NFL) and Henderson (portal). However, that does make Ricky the best 'returning' receiver.... 🤓

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...graham-mertz-wins-qb-competition-billy-napier

The iG is sincerely hoping that the coming Utah game, doesn't turn out to be a washed out repeat version of Miller's bowl game....

PS -- Now, can you imagine the consternation and total disarray of the Utah coaching staff, IF Brown was to walk out on the field as the starter to begin the game... LMFAO....
If Billy only did that for UF's first possession with some set plays for Max, it would likely throw Utah off for at least the entire 1st half.... 😳

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
The guy that was given the most attention from the QB's coach, and the most 1st team practice reps going all the way back to the Spring, was finally named the starter. I hope that no one was expecting me or anyone else to be surprised by that decision.."Mertz has, by all accounts, been the first quarterback up in drills and worked with the projected first-team offense more than any other passer dating back to spring camp."

The bottom line is that Mertz was always going to be the starter. That much has been clear since his January transfer. (so much for any 'real' QB competition to determine the starter)

Below are SI's All Gators' three biggest takeaways from Napier declaring Mertz, a fifth-year redshirt junior, the winner of his first quarterback competition as Florida's head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and he believes his hands-on approach can elevate Mertz's game above what was displayed during his stint with the Badgers. (Ihe iG just hopes it's more than he elevated AR-15's game and the Gator's offensive output in 22...) 🙄

As to Pearsall being UF's best receiver last year, in the iG's OHO, he was #3 behind both Shorter (NFL) and Henderson (portal). However, that does make Ricky the best 'returning' receiver.... 🤓

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...graham-mertz-wins-qb-competition-billy-napier

The iG is sincerely hoping that the coming Utah game, doesn't turn out to be a washed out repeat version of Miller's bowl game....

PS -- Now, can you imagine the consternation and total disarray of the Utah coaching staff, IF Brown was to walk out on the field as the starter to begin the game... LMFAO....
If Billy only did that for UF's first possession with some set plays for Max, it would likely throw Utah off for at least the entire 1st half.... 😳
Ricky led the team in receptions, yards, avg yard per catch and TDs. How was he not the best?? Mertz needs to start. He has played on the road at Columbus, Penn State, Michigan etc. Nows not the time to break in a kid who's only starting experience came in front of 800 fans. I like starting Mertz. Brown has a better chance for success coming off the bench vs the pressure of starting. Man, you were doing so good for a while...but you fell off the wagon.

Pearsall was the #1 receiver.

Maybe you 2 know-it-all's should look at the stats for Shorter and Henderson BEFORE Shorter left the team injured late in the season. But no, that would require unbiased observations instead of just going with Pearsall's final season stats..... 🙄

• Haha
Maybe you 2 know-it-all's should look at the stats for Shorter and Henderson BEFORE Shorter left the team injured late in the season. But no, that would require unbiased observations instead of just going with Pearsall's final season stats..... 🙄
I did. Pearsall was still better. I liked his 8 carries for 114 yards. Need to get him some more reverses this season.

I think he's limited, he tore his ACL in Jan I believe, no way he's 100%. Then I read a practice report from Utah where their backup left practice with an injury.

Will have to see if there is anymore on that. The 3rd string QB is the one who played some last season. I think Utah says he can run pretty good but isn't that good of a passer.

As for me, I'd rather UF face Cam Rising but I heard his doctors have not cleared him to play.

If we luck out and get the 3rd stringer it probably gives us a lot better chance to win. I have a feeling they are going to clear Rising to play though. This happened during Utah's scrimmage. Not 100% sure if it's what led that QB to go to the hospital. Utah not protecting that QB in the scrimmage

Keep in mind that the Gator's have to beat their TEAM, not just whichever QB is playing for them....

And that gives me some hope for the Gators, as the Ute's have to beat the Gator TEAM, not just Mertz....

• Haha
Reactions: fsu939913
I did. Pearsall was still better. I liked his 8 carries for 114 yards. Need to get him some more reverses this season.
Best WR thru the first 9 Games, the stipulation was prior to Shorter being injured out:: 🤓

Most receptions - Henderson 36, Shorter 29, Pearsall 22

Most Rec. Yds - Shorter 577, Henderson 395, Pearsall 381

Most Yds/Rec - Shorter 19.9, Pearsall 17.3, Henderson 11.0

Longest Reception - Herderson 78, Shorter 76, Pearsall 52

Rearsall was 1st = zero, 2nd = once, 3rd = 3 out of 4....

All 3 were tied with 2 Receiving TD's.
===========================

Ststs are up to and includingt the (#9) aTm game:

WR Justin Shorter 6-4 223 rsJr started - in 9 games:
29 for 577 Yds, 19.9 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, L-75
No rushing or kick returns.

WR Xzavier Henderson 6-3 195 So - in 9 games:
for 395 Yds, 11.0 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, L-78
Kick Returns
- 7 for 111 Yds.
Punt Returns - 11 for 108 Yds.

WR Ricky Pearsall 6-1 200 Jr - in 9 games:
22 for 381 Yds, 17.3 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, L- 52
Rushing - Had one 76 yard run for a TD vs E.Wash. UF 52-17 patsy)
Then - 3 vs aTm for 34 Yds, zero TD's (UF 41-24)
---------
The last 4 Gms, Ricky had 1 run each for 7, -3, 1, -2, zero TD's.
So yeah, run him all you want to, against the patsy teams... 🙄

And have another pie on me....... 😁

Last edited:
Best WR thru the first 9 Games, the stipulation was prior to Shorter being injured out:: 🤓

Most receptions - Henderson 36, Shorter 29, Pearsall 22

Most Rec. Yds - Shorter 577, Henderson 395, Pearsall 381

Most Yds/Rec - Shorter 19.9, Pearsall 17.3, Henderson 11.0

Longest Reception - Herderson 78, Shorter 76, Pearsall 52

Rearsall was 1st = zero, 2nd = once, 3rd = 3 out of 4....

All 3 were tied with 2 Receiving TD's.
===========================

Ststs are up to and includingt the (#9) aTm game:

WR Justin Shorter 6-4 223 rsJr started - in 9 games:
29 for 577 Yds, 19.9 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, L-75
No rushing or kick returns.

WR Xzavier Henderson 6-3 195 So - in 9 games:
for 395 Yds, 11.0 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, L-78
Kick Returns
- 7 for 111 Yds.
Punt Returns - 0 for 119 Yds.

WR Ricky Pearsall 6-1 200 Jr - in 9 games:
22 for 381 Yds, 17.3 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, L- 52
Rushing - Had one 76 yard run for a TD vs E.Wash. UF 52-17 patsy)
Then - 3 vs aTm for 34 Yds, zero TD's (UF 41-24)
---------
The last 4 Gms, Ricky had 1 run each for 7, -3, 1, -2, zero TD's.
So yeah, run him all you want to, against the patsy teams... 🙄

And have another pie on me....... 😁

Pearsall just torched us...... he probably had most of his yards there lol Kevin Knowles (who is terrible, could not cover him)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT