ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Spring Sports

Baseball rebounded with a 12-3 thumping of Auburn behind a solid outing from Jack Leftwich. They now have a 3.5 game lead in the SEC East and it could go to 4 games if Tennessee holds on to it's current 5-0 lead over Georgia in the bottom of the 5th.
The softball team won a critical game against LSU 5-3 today. LSU hit 2 home runs off Kelly Barnhill in the 5th inning (breaking up a perfect game to that point). but the Gators came right back to score 4 in the bottom of the inning on a 3-run triple from Amanda Lorenz and a single from Nicole DeWitt. They added another run in the 6th and Barnhill struck out 14 to run her record to 24-1. UF is 44-8, 17-4 in the SEC, but the pitchers giving up home runs is becoming a major concern. The staff only gave up 11 home runs the entire season last year, including the NCAA's and the WCWS. This year they've given up 25 so far, 14 by Barnhill, 9 more by Ocasio. And most of the team is in a hitting slump. Only Lorenz, DeWitt and Hannah Adams have been consistently hitting as starters. Jordan Roberts is coming on as DH and Voss has been a nice surprise in limited at-bats. But Kvistad, Ocasio, Matthews, Wheaton and Reynoso are not performing well at the plate at all. Kvistad and Matthews have cooled off considerably and Ocasio's average is below what it's been anytime since she's been at Florida. They are going to need to improve their hitting and cut down drastically on home runs allowed if they expect to make a deep run this year.

When you break records for strike outs, and you give up few walks, then occasionally someone is going to get a HR. If it's a HR with the bases loaded, then that can really hurt you. If it's a couple of solo shots during a game along with 14 strikeouts, then not so much. Looking at just one stat can often be misleading concerning a games total output and outcome.

Just me, but I'd rather see the pitchers challenge the batters, while depending on her teams defense to back her up, instead of giving up a bunch of walks while chunking junk at the batters.

44-8 -- 17-4 SEC -- So those 25 HR's don't look to me like they did much for the opposing teams that hit them. That's less than 1 HR per 2 games, and averaging only about 1 loss per 3 HR's.

The same goes for the Gators offense. Timing is everything. Being able to cluster their hits to produce runs is more important than batting averages. Slugging % and RBI will win the games.

Ocala, you and I both know that whichever team gets hot at the right time is the one that comes away with the NC.

When you break records for strike outs, and you give up few walks, then occasionally someone is going to get a HR. If it's a HR with the bases loaded, then that can really hurt you. If it's a couple of solo shots during a game along with 14 strikeouts, then not so much. Looking at just one stat can often be misleading concerning a games total output and outcome.

Just me, but I'd rather see the pitchers challenge the batters, while depending on her teams defense to back her up, instead of giving up a bunch of walks while chunking junk at the batters.

44-8 -- 17-4 SEC -- So those 25 HR's don't look to me like they did much for the opposing teams that hit them. That's less than 1 HR per 2 games, and averaging only about 1 loss per 3 HR's.

The same goes for the Gators offense. Timing is everything. Being able to cluster their hits to produce runs is more important than batting averages. Slugging % and RBI will win the games.

Ocala, you and I both know that whichever team gets hot at the right time is the one that comes away with the NC.
Yeah, I agree with all of that. But I've watched a ton of softball and have followed the UF softball team very closely during the last 10-12 years. Barnhill is an elite, world class pitcher, but she needs to develop and use some type of off speed pitch instead of relying almost exclusively on her 3 layer rise ball. She dominates lesser players and most good ones. But she will not beat Oklahoma, Oregon and UCLA unless she's at the very top of her game and has an ump not calling illegal pitches as well as giving her a big strike zone, primarily the high strikes. Ocasio is less reliable in the circle this year than in her previous 3 and we have no 3rd pitcher that has proven herself. This team misses Delaney Gourley really bad. On offense, this year's team simply does not have the number of quality hitters that great Gator teams had. Shut out Lorenz & DeWitt and tournament teams beat Florida. They will win the SEC for the 4th year in a row and probably will be the #4 or #5 overall seed in the NCAA tournament. But I would not be surprised if they get ousted in a Super Regional or go 0-2 in the WCWS. Hope I'm wrong, but this year looks to me like it's Oklahoma and the Pac-12. Last year UF, LSU & TAM made the WCWS from the SEC. In 2016 it was Auburn, Georgia, LSU & Alabama. In 2015 it was Florida, Auburn, LSU, Alabama & Tennessee. In 2014, it was Florida, Alabama & Kentucky. It would not shock me if none, 1 or 2 made it this year. The SEC is deep but not great this year in softball. And even though Florida is going to win the league title, I've seen enough softball to know they have to really step it up to challenge for a national title this year.

Last edited:
We went through all of this before so I won't go through it again.
The game officials, the umpire especially, can warp any game they choose to.

Nothing to disagree with ocala. Just some other things to consider. :cool:

I miss Hanna Rogers. (silk-smooth)
I miss Lauren Haeger (aka Babe Ruth)
I miss Delanie Gourley. (deft-lefty)
And I'm really gonna miss Kelly Barnhill (the HAMMER)
This is nothing new for Gator softball.

But maybe the next star pitcher is already on the roster:
RHP Natalie Lugo 5-5 Fr - West Covina, Cal.
2017 USA Softball Junior Women’s National Team member
2017 WBSC Junior Women’s World Champions

2017 PGF High School All-American 2018

Pitching - 2.49 ERA - 32 SO, 4 BB, in 25.1 IP
Fielding - 1.000 - 2 PO, 7 Ast on 9 chances.
Batting???
They still list Barnhill with 0 at bats, but they left Lugo completely off the batting roster??? :oops:

I also really miss the Gators best catcher EVER, Aubree Munro.
You'd rather get in a draw-down with Clint Eastwood, than try to steal 2nd on Aubree! o_O

Year to year, team makeups change, so nothing remains the same, on our team or for the opponents.
IMO, the important thing is to win the games that count the most, not going undefeated.
Make the field. Make the WCWS in OK. Win a couple more game and then celebrate.:)

They will get hot at the right time or they won't. I'm pretty sure of that... ;)

Gator lacrosse beat Marquette today 19-8 in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament and will face either Georgetown or Denver Saturday at noon for the title.
The lacrosse program is incredible, having won the regular season conference championship all 8 years of their existence, 4 in the now defunct American Lacrosse Conference and 4 in the Big East. The Gators schedule a brutal non-conference schedule every year, facing North Carolina, Maryland, Syracuse, Navy & Towson, all of whom have excellent lacrosse programs. They've been in the NCAA tournament every year, reached the quarterfinals 4 times and the Final 4 once. In 2019, UF will go with Vanderbilt to become associate members of the American Athletic Conference (for lacrosse only), which includes UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, Temple, USF, East Carolina, Temple and SMU. Love Gator athletics.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Gator lacrosse beat Marquette today 19-8 in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament and will face either Georgetown or Denver Saturday at noon for the title.
The lacrosse program is incredible, having won the regular season conference championship all 8 years of their existence, 4 in the now defunct American Lacrosse Conference and 4 in the Big East. The Gators schedule a brutal non-conference schedule every year, facing North Carolina, Maryland, Syracuse, Navy & Towson, all of whom have excellent lacrosse programs. They've been in the NCAA tournament every year, reached the quarterfinals 4 times and the Final 4 once. In 2019, UF will go with Vanderbilt to become associate members of the American Athletic Conference (for lacrosse only), which includes UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, Temple, USF, East Carolina, Temple and SMU. Love Gator athletics.

Actually that's incorrect ocala. Their 1st year of existence was in the old ALC and they did not win it their 1st season. -- 2010 10-8, 1-4 ALC
In the 2010 ALC Tournament they beat Johns Hopkins 14-3, then lost to Vandy 9-16 to end the season.

They did win ALC's 4 consecutive times after that, before moving to the Big East, where they have won it every year since.

Last edited:
Actually that's incorrect ocala. Their 1st year of existence was in the old ALC and they did not win it their 1st season. -- 2010 10-8, 1-4 ALC
In the 2010 ALC Tournament they best Johns Hopkins 14-3, then lost to Vandy 9-16 to end the season.

They did win ALC's 4 consecutive times after that, before moving to the Big East, where they have won it every year since.
I stand corrected. Thanks man.

Reactions: instaGATOR
UF baseball opened their weekend series at TAM with a 9-0 pounding of the Aggies. Brady Singer ran his record to 10-1 with a complete game 6 hitter. Gators pounded out 14 hits, JJ Schwartz had 4 hits and 4 RBI's, Deacon Liput & Blake Reese had 3 hits each.
The Gator softball team won their opener at Missouri 4-2, as Kayli Kvistad had 3 RBI's and she & Jeanell Wheaton both hit home runs to back Kelly Barnhill, who improved her record to 25-1 despite Surrendering her 15th & 16th home runs of the year. Also, with Georgia losing at Ole Miss, the Gators clinched their 4th straight regular season SEC title.

Last edited:
UF lacrosse dominated a very good Denver team 18-6 to win the Big East tournament title today. The game was televised on Fox Sports 2 for those who had a chance to watch it. Pretty fun spectator sport. NCAA tournament field will be announced Sunday, but the Gators will be a 4 or 5 seed, which will give them a 1st round bye and probably the ability to host.

A Quad-Pete SEC-C for the Gator Softball Team -- GRATS LADIES!!! :)

With a senior class that has never finished 2nd in the SEC regular season.
UT/RHP Aleshia Ocasio
1B Kayli Kvistad
INF Nicole DeWitt
C/1B Janell Wheaton

Those 4 began their Gator careers with the 2015 National Championship as Fr.
Be pretty SWEET if they went out the same way! ;)
GooooooooooooooGATORS!

Softball team beat Missouri again today 5-0 behind a nice shutout from Ocasio and home runs from Roberts & Lorenz. The baseball team whipped TAM 6-1 as Kowar gave up 1 hit over 6 innings; Butler, Dyson & Byrne finished it off on the mound. They played small ball today and looked great doing it - sac bunts, stolen bases, sac flies.

Gator Lacrosse began 9 seasons ago in the old American Lacrosse Conference (ALC) and spent their first 5 years there, winning the conference title 4 of 5 years, all but the teams inaugural season. After 4 consecutive titles they moved up to the Big East Conference.

Now they are coming off 4 consecutive Big East Regular Season and Tournament Titles.

They have been their conference champs for 8 consecutive seasons, so they are moving yet again.
The Gators exit the BIG EAST on a 33 consecutive game win streak. :eek:

They are leaving the Big East for the American Athletic Conference (AAC) beginning in the 2019 season.
The New 6 Team AAC consistes of:
UF - Vandy - UConn - Cincy - ECa - Temple
And they will continue their tradition of playing top quality OoC opponents like N.C, Maryland, etc...

The Gators set many Big East and UF records along the way. Go here for the story:
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/...th-consecutive-big-east-tournament-title.aspx

Up Next:
Florida awaits Sunday's announcement of the 2018 NCAA Championship field.
The 26-team field is unveiled Sunday, May 6 at 9:30 p.m. in NCAA.com.
The Gators have advanced to NCAA play each season since 2011.
NCAA play begins across the nation on Friday, May 10.

#4 Florida finises the regular season at 47-8 (.855) -- 20-4 (.833) SEC-C

RHP Kelly Barnhill Jr - Season W/L 30-3, ERA .93 vs #1 RPI and #2 SoS.

RHP Aleshia Ocasio Sr - Season W/L18-6, ERA 1.25
She was just named the Co-SEC Pitcher of the Week.
Career W/L 66-13 (.835), Tied for 6th All Time at UF.
Delanie Gourley Grad, and Kelly Barnhill Jr, also have 66 wins.

=====
The Super Gator Lacrosse Team earned NCAA Hosting rights as #6 Tourney Seed.
The 26 team National Championship race begins on Friday May 11th in Gainesville with Colo vs Jacksonville. Hosting UF then plays the winner on Sunday.
Florida 14-3, 9-0 Big East Champ
Colorado 13-5, 9-1 PAC-12 runner-up to Stanford (UF 16-9 Colo)
Jacksonville 16-3, 5-0 ASUN-C (UF 16-5 Jax)

The Top-Eight NCAA Tourney Seeds (2018 season)
  1. Maryland (UF 14-16 Mary)
  2. North Carolina (UF 17-10 @ NC)
  3. James Madison
  4. Boston College
  5. Stony Brook
  6. Florida
  7. Towson (UF 11-14 Tow)
  8. Loyola Maryland (UF 17-16 Loy in OT)

#4 Florida finises the regular season at 47-8 (.855) -- 20-4 (.833) SEC-C

RHP Kelly Barnhill Jr - Season W/L 30-3, ERA .93 vs #1 RPI and #2 SoS.

RHP Aleshia Ocasio Sr - Season W/L18-6, ERA 1.25
She was just named the Co-SEC Pitcher of the Week.
Career W/L 66-13 (.835), Tied for 6th All Time at UF.
Delanie Gourley Grad, and Kelly Barnhill Jr, also have 66 wins.

=====
The Super Gator Lacrosse Team earned NCAA Hosting rights as #6 Tourney Seed.
The 26 team National Championship race begins on Friday May 11th in Gainesville with Colo vs Jacksonville. Hosting UF then plays the winner on Sunday.
Florida 14-3, 9-0 Big East Champ
Colorado 13-5, 9-1 PAC-12 runner-up to Stanford (UF 16-9 Colo)
Jacksonville 16-3, 5-0 ASUN-C (UF 16-5 Jax)

The Top-Eight NCAA Tourney Seeds (2018 season)
  1. Maryland (UF 14-16 Mary)
  2. North Carolina (UF 17-10 @ NC)
  3. James Madison
  4. Boston College
  5. Stony Brook
  6. Florida
  7. Towson (UF 11-14 Tow)
  8. Loyola Maryland (UF 17-16 Loy in OT)
Barnhill is ONLY 25-1, her lone loss being at Georgia. Ocasio 18-6, Lugo 2-0, Chronister 2-1. That gets us the 47-8 record.

Gator lacrosse, if they win their 1st game, will play the winner of James Madison/Virginia-Stanford. Gators could make a run to the Final 4 this year.

You are correct ocala, one good turn (correction) deserves another. ;) So as always: Thanks for the correct info. :)

I was going by the team schedule listing (brain-fart), which is not how they figure the individual W/L stats. My bad. :oops:

You are correct ocala, one good turn (correction) deserves another. ;) So as always: Thanks for the correct info. :)

I was going by the team schedule listing (brain-fart), which is not how they figure the individual W/L stats. My bad. :oops:
Florida currently has the #1 ranked baseball team.
Maybe your son Joseph can help in the bullpen.
th

Thanks Dale.

I was at the USF/UF game tonight. 3 1/2 hours of good hitting and generally poor pitching on both sides. Gators dug out of a 6-0, then 8-4, hole to win 11-8, with the go-ahead 2 runs scoring on a throwing error over 1st base on a Liput bunt. Michael Byrne was stellar the last 2 innings to get his 12th save. Tyler Dyson started and lasted 1/3 of an inning, giving up 2 hits and 3 walks before exiting. Tommy Mace wasn't much better and by the time he left in favor of Andrew Baker, the Gators were down 6-0. Baker pitched pretty good, but was charged with a run when Kirby McMullen came in and gave up 4 hits in 2/3 of an inning and a Baker walk scored. Jordan Butler pitched a shutout in the 6th & 7th and picked up the win to go 5-1. Liput went 3-3 including a 3 run HR, Blake Reese homerered, Schwartz, Horvath & Brady Smith had 2 hits each. USF outhit us 14-13, but overall it was a fun game to watch and a nice comeback against a very good team.

Reactions: bradleygator
Gator Softball - Quad-Pete with 4th Consecutive SEC-C

SEC Piecher of the Year -- RHP Kelly Barnhill Jr

W/L 25-1 - ERA 0.93,. IP 174, SO 267, BB 59, HBP 7

SEC Player of the Year -- LF Amanda Lorenz
Batting .427, AB 150, R-61, H-64. 2B-17, 3B-4 BB-51, HR 8, RBI-49
Fielding C-52, PO-51, E-1, F%-.981

1st Team All SEC:
3B Nicole Dewitt Sr
UT/RHP Aleshia Ocasio Sr
RHP Kelly Barnhill Jr
LF Amanda Lorenz Jr

SEC All Defensive Team:
C Janell Wheaton Sr - C-391, PO-373, E-1, F% .997
UT Hannah Adams Fr - C-120, PO-46, E-0, F% 1.000

SEC All Freshman Team
UT Hammah Adams - Batting .287 -- Fielding 1.000
C Jordan Matthews - Batting .268 -- Fielding .905

UF 5 - 2 Red-Tiders in the Gator's 7th 'come from behind' win of the season.

Next up is UF vs Tennis-sea, while the Piggies face-off with the Lamecocks...

The winners of those 2 games will play for the SEC Tournament Championship.

UF baseball just clinched their 5th regular season title under Kevin O'Sullivan with a 9-3 beatdown of Georgia after scoring 2 in the bottom of the 9th last night to nip the Bulldogs 7-6. Jackson Kowar pitched a strong 7 innings, giving up only 1 run, while JJ Schwarz continued his torrid hitting (6-7 with 2 home runs against Georgia), Blake Reese hit a grand slam, while Jonathan India and Nelson Maldonado also homered. Last night the softball team run-ruled Tennessee 10-2 to advance to tonight's championship game vs. South Carolina (8 pm on ESPN2)

The Baseball team is playing lights out even when they make many mistakes like last night. The softball team, well I am grilling crow currently and I'm loving it. I'm glad they proved me wrong because not even a day after I said the softball team didn't look that good they start playing up to their potential and haven't looked back since then. In the past years, the softball team would always start fast and end up slow but this year they started slow and now is playing fast. That is the best way to play...

I cannot wait until the fall even though I am not getting my hopes up whatsoever. Its easier to climb up than it is to fall.

I believe the baseball team has one of the best chances of going back to back this year....

Go Gators....

Softball team just won the SEC tournament title with a 3-1 win over South Carolina. Amanda Lorenz blasted a 3-run homer and Alicia Ocasio tossed a 2-hitter, throwing only 70 pitches for her 20th win on the season. Infield made some great plays behind her. Gators are now 50-8 as they await tomorrow's NCAA brackets to see who comes to Gainesville for next week's regional and who they'll be matched up against for a Super Regional.

Reactions: HardeeWildcatFan
She is just the third player in SEC History, to win SEC Player of the Year and SEC Tournament MVP in the same season. Can't say enough stuff about Amanda Lorenz... Batting .418 with 10 HR's, and in LF she has a
.981 Fielding %. That's only 1 error for the season, on 53 chances with 52 put-outs. :eek:

~ IF Lauren Haeger was the Gator female version of a Babe Ruth, then maybe Amanda Lorenz just might be a Mickey Mantle playing over in LF.... ;)

And oh BTW, with today's win over the UGly buttsniffers, the Baseball team is also SEC-C's. :p

Note of sympathy for JJ. He got hit by two balls while catching today, and then the opposing pitcher hit him at bat... jus-damn! :oops:

UF's Men & Women won the SEC Outdoor Track & Field meet this past weekend. http://floridagators.com/news/2018/5/13/track-and-field-gators-sweep-sec-outdoor-titles.aspx

And Gator softball is the #2 seed in the NCAA tournament, as all 13 SEC teams made the field of 64. Gators will host Bethune-Cookman Friday at 7:30 in their opening game, with the #2 & 3 seeds in their regional being USF & Ohio State. The winner of the Gainesville Regional takes on the winner of the College Station, TX Regional, which includes host Texas A&M, Prairie View, McNeese St. & Baylor. UF has a good path to make it to the WCWS.

And the #6 Women's Lacrosse team advanced to the Elite 8 by beating Colorado 13-9 Sunday and will take on #3 James Madison in Harrisonburg, VA Saturday at 1 pm.

Sure looks like an all NCAA SEC TOURNAMENT IMHO and teams with better records have to travel. Don’t get me wrong I don’t care I just don’t understand how Michigan has to travel to a team with a worse record. Is Michigan’s Schedule that awful? Who makes up the NCAA Committee ? ESPN hitch I dislike very much.

Why is the Baseball CWS ALWAYS played in Omaha?
(UF still won the CWS there in 2017) :)

Why is the Softball WCWS ALWAYS played in Okla City?
(OK beat UF there last year for the championship) :(

#6 UF just beat #15 Colorado at the NCAA Lacrosse opening round,,, that was played in Denver. o_O

UF Men T&F, and UF Womens T&F, both just won the SEC-C's in Knoxville, TN. :rolleyes:

Why is the Football SEC-C ALWAYS played in Hot-lanta? :confused:

You either win and celebrate,,, or you lose and then whine your way home.... :cool:

PS
Florida Gator student-athletes posted a 3.15 cumulative GPA for the spring semester. :eek:

Sure looks like an all NCAA SEC TOURNAMENT IMHO and teams with better records have to travel. Don’t get me wrong I don’t care I just don’t understand how Michigan has to travel to a team with a worse record. Is Michigan’s Schedule that awful? Who makes up the NCAA Committee ? ESPN hitch I dislike very much.
The Big 10 is not a strong softball conference and so teams have to build up their resume' by playing a tough out of conference schedule. Michigan didn't do that this year. In the RPI rankings they were #31. Remember last year Minnesota was 54-3, ranked #1 in the polls, but was not even seeded in the Top 16 to be a regional host. They had to travel to play at Alabama, where they got beat. I think the committee does a good job in softball and baseball by rewarding those who play a difficult schedule and punishing those who don't. That's why all 13 SEC teams got in. Their lowest ranked team by RPI is Ole Miss at #40. I personally think Florida was seeded a little high at #2, but they won the regular season and the tournament in the toughest conference, plus played a brutal OOC schedule and finished 50-8. So it makes sense. But to me, Oklahoma is the 2-time defending national champs, went 50-3 and should have been the #1 seed. But the weakness of the Big 12 knocked them down a couple of notches. And Oregon & UCLA probably should have been ahead of Florida as well. Oregon is 47-7, UCLA 50-4, but Oregon got rewarded with the overall #1 seed for winning the Pac 12 and playing a very difficult OOC schedule. They played 6 SEC teams, USF, plus FSU twice. But if you're in the Top 8 you still host all the way through so which number you are isn't that important. Anyway strength of Schedule counts a lot to the softball and baseball committees and I agree that it should.

Why is the Baseball CWS ALWAYS played in Omaha?
(UF still won the CWS there in 2017) :)

Why is the Softball WCWS ALWAYS played in Okla City?
(OK beat UF there last year for the championship) :(

#6 UF just beat #15 Colorado at the NCAA Lacrosse opening round,,, that was played in Denver. o_O

UF Men T&F, and UF Womens T&F, both just won the SEC-C's in Knoxville, TN. :rolleyes:

Why is the Football SEC-C ALWAYS played in Hot-lanta? :confused:

You either win and celebrate,,, or you lose and then whine your way home.... :cool:

PS
Florida Gator student-athletes posted a 3.15 cumulative GPA for the spring semester. :eek:
Part of me likes the annual SECCG being played in ATL. Part of me wishes it would roatate annually to each state in the SEC...and not on any college campus. That being said I don't see a good venue in Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, or South Carolina.

I wouldn't mind seeing it rotate between Atlanta, Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville, Nashville (Nissan Stadium), NOLA, Dallas/Houston, and St. Louis/KC.

I wouldn't occasionally mind the early December game to be played in the outdoor elements.

I definitely wish the CWS and WCWS would rotate across the nation like the basketball NC and football NC do.

And as far as the SEC baseball tournament. Plenty of nice baseball parks in each SEC state. That same old Birmingham suburb garbage is played out. Nashville, Little Rock, Memphis, Chattanooga, Jackson, MS, Louisville, and such have good MiLB fields.

Plenty of good venues across South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, and Missouri to choose from.

Last edited:
Four Gator Spring sports teams - Men's cross country, Women's golf, and Both tennis teams - received NCAA recognition today for Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores among the top 10% in the nation in their sport.
-----

The Gator Men's Golf Team is on a record-setting pace through two rounds of the NCAA Kissimmee Men's Golf Regional. All five Gators are below par and inside the top 25 of the Leaderboard

Florida is 25-under-par and in the lead by five strokes after 36 holes of play at the Watson Course at Reunion Resort. Florida's score is tied for the seventh-lowest mark in school history and with one round of play have a chance to break the 12-year-old school record. The record of 37-under was set at the 2006 NCAA West Regional at Omni Tucson National Golf Club in Tucson, Ariz.
http://floridagators.com/news/2018/5/15/mens-golf-gators-take-five-shot-lead-at-ncaa-regionals.aspx

The Men's Golf Team finished their regional today 42 under par, 12 strokes ahead of 2nd place UCF. Vanderbilt, North Carolina & Kent State are the other teams advancing to the National Tournament in Stillwater, OK next weekend.

TRANSCRIPT:

Andrew Spivey: What’s up, Gator Country? Your man, Andrew Spivey, here with Nicholas de la Torre. Nicholas, what a weekend. The trophy case had to be expanded this weekend, my friend. :eek:

Nick de la Torre:
Yeah. They need to start building these new buildings, just to have places to keep putting trophies. :D

Andrew: Let me just run you through what happened this weekend. First of all, baseball clinches the SEC regular season title. Congrats to Sully and the boys. Softball, not only did they clinch the regular season title and win that, this weekend they won the tournament title, SEC title. Men’s tennis advanced to the Sweet 16, third year in a row for them. Gator lacrosse went to the Elite 8. Men’s and women’s track won the SEC, swept the titles. Lot of trophies coming, and possibility for a lot more trophies. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see track and field win the NCAA Outdoor Championship after winning the NCAA Indoor Championship. Then we all know what softball and baseball are capable of. Maybe lacrosse can get over that hump.

~ It's a long read, but it's pretty good and filled with information. The TL-DNR dweebs will want to avoid this like the plague... ;)

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature...ators-recruiting-cook-out-and-diamond-sports/

And as far as the SEC baseball tournament. Plenty of nice baseball parks in each SEC state. That same old Birmingham suburb garbage is played out. Nashville, Little Rock, Memphis, Chattanooga, Jackson, MS, Louisville, and such have good MiLB fields.

Plenty of good venues across South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, and Missouri to choose from.

Agree with this. Jacksonville has a nice minor league park as well. I watched the ACC tournament a couple times there. Birmingham seems like an odd choice for every year host. Didn't they have to suspend games there one year due to gunshots fired outside the park?

As far as the Gators, it was awesome to see them clinch on Saturday. Nice touch from the admin to have the guys run out there and stencil the championship banner on the outfield fence 5 min. after the game with UGA still on the field! I find it a little odd, I'm not going to say concerning, how bad we are on Sundays. I know the pitching is a step down, but we don't hit on Sundays either.

Agree with this. Jacksonville has a nice minor league park as well. I watched the ACC tournament a couple times there. Birmingham seems like an odd choice for every year host. Didn't they have to suspend games there one year due to gunshots fired outside the park?

As far as the Gators, it was awesome to see them clinch on Saturday. Nice touch from the admin to have the guys run out there and stencil the championship banner on the outfield fence 5 min. after the game with UGA still on the field! I find it a little odd, I'm not going to say concerning, how bad we are on Sundays. I know the pitching is a step down, but we don't hit on Sundays either.

41-12 and #1 overall not good enough for you?

41-12 and #1 overall not good enough for you?

Calm down. I just think it’s odd, given that their offense rolls every other day of the week and that they’re generally facing the No. 3 starter on Sundays. The team is awesome. I have no complaints.

Always things a baseball team can be working to improve on. Baserunning is one of our weaker things of late. 2 strikeout, throw 'em out stealings against the good guys in the 1st 4 innings against Miss. St. tonight.

Always things a baseball team can be working to improve on. Baserunning is one of our weaker things of late. 2 strikeout, throw 'em out stealings against the good guys in the 1st 4 innings against Miss. St. tonight.

Langworthy made the third out at third on the second one. Schwarz made a bad play on the bunt in the seventh trying to get the lead runner at second. Byrne on the mound and a one-run lead, take the out. Guarantee that Sully will make sure they get the message. I would also bet that Singer comes out dealing tomorrow night. The game has come pretty easy for these guys this season with the bats so hot and Singer and Kowar pitching every weekend. Bats are cooling off a bit. Time to button it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT