ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Spring Sports

Big time right there by Mace. Hung that curveball a little bit but put everything else where he wanted it.

We got a little momentum now. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us put some runs up.

Jesus, these guys are turning some crazy double plays. Kind of ridiculous to get doubled up when the guy has to dive and hit the cutoff man going back to first.

Great throw by Dalton. Too bad we gave the guy two free bases. He should still be sitting at first.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone throw 90 pitches in relief. That guy seemed like their good luck charm.

Ball kid just disgraced himself. He looked like Dalton from a few innings back. Chance to make up for it now though.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone throw 90 pitches in relief. That guy seemed like their good luck charm.
he has spent most of his career as a starter but been better out of bullpen. Was projected as a high pick out of high school but came to Auburn instead

he has spent most of his career as a starter but been better out of bullpen. Was projected as a high pick out of high school but came to Auburn instead

He was blowing. I’m glad he’s out. Byrne might go 9 innings. Lol.

Oh my god, if he got robbed again, that would be too much. What a game! Congrats Sully and the Gators. I lover Langworthy and Byrne. Good night!

Reactions: TennesseeGator
For those who have been to a baseball game, you'll get this:
LANG................
WORTHY
LANG...............
WORTHY
LANG................
WORTHY
Exciting game. Pitchers for both teams were excellent. Auburn played amazing defense. That steal of home was epic. Hope JJ is back in Omaha. We need him badly.

For those who have been to a baseball game, you'll get this:
LANG................
WORTHY
LANG...............
WORTHY
LANG................
WORTHY
Exciting game. Pitchers for both teams were excellent. Auburn played amazing defense. That steal of home was epic. Hope JJ is back in Omaha. We need him badly.

Girand had a tough super. He was pretty much an automatic out, and he had a tough time handling a bunch of balls in the dirt. He won us the regional, so credit where it’s due, but it would be great to have JJ back, obviously.

A real winner that one was. :rolleyes: I'm just surprised that her sister isn't with her.... :cool:

If you live in an albarn, then that might be the result (5-10 200)... :D (just tweakin' a rival)

Too bad for her, but maybe she can yet turn her life around and make better decisions in the future. I really do hate to see any of them go down the tubes like that... :(

A real winner that one was. :rolleyes: I'm just surprised that her sister isn't with her.... :cool:

If you live in an albarn, then that might be the result (5-10 200)... :D (just tweakin' a rival)

Too bad for her, but maybe she can yet turn her life around and make better decisions in the future. I really do hate to see any of them go down the tubes like that... :(
There are 4 Fagan girls, I think. The oldest, Kasey, who was Florida High School Player of the Year in 2010, signed and played for Florida for 2 years, got kicked off the team along with sister Sami, transferred to Arkansas, where she played and graduated, then was a grad assistant at Auburn, but is now an assistant coach for the great Dot Richardson at Liberty University. She seems to be fine. Sami transferred to Missouri where she played and graduated, then was drafted into the Women's Pro softball league. I think she now plays softball in Japan and for the Akron pro team and seems to be OK. Haley started at South Alabama, then went to Auburn where she graduated in 2017, was drafted and apparently isn't doing so well, even though she has been a teammate of sister Sami in pro softball at Akron. Younger sister Cameron is a sophomore at Dunnellon High School, but was named Ocala Star Banner area Player of the year after her freshman season (2017). She hit .614 with 58 RBI's and 38 stolen bases as a freshman, plus plays SS. She had committed to Missouri, but has re-opened her recruiting but says she wants to play in the SEC. Who knows how she will turn out, but I imagine Coach Walton will have nothing more to do with the family. Best of luck to the kid, though.

I just read that the game 3 between Florida and Auburn was the most watched super regional game in the last 9 years. Viewership apparently peaked at over 1.1 million when the game was in extra innings

Reactions: bradleygator
I just read that the game 3 between Florida and Auburn was the most watched super regional game in the last 9 years. Viewership apparently peaked at over 1.1 million when the game was in extra innings

Great for college baseball. That was one of the best ballgames I’ve ever seen. I think the college game is a lot more fun to watch than mlb, which is basically beer league softball at this point: sit around and wait for home runs.

Between the UF game and the two late night extra innings games on Sunday night, the Supers were nuts.

Texas Tech looks pretty solid. Good No. 1 starter and a pretty live lineup. I read that Schwarz is expected to play, but that might have just been the reporter guessing.

As Ocala said, it will be interesting to see if JJ is healthy enough to play the field. Slotting him in with Maldonado makes the lineup a lot deeper. Replacing Maldonado much less so. We didn't get much from C or 1B in the Supers, offensively, so hopefully JJ can step into one of those spots.

If JJ comes back hitting and helps us win, I'll lose my mind.

Texas Tech looks pretty solid. Good No. 1 starter and a pretty live lineup. I read that Schwarz is expected to play, but that might have just been the reporter guessing.

As Ocala said, it will be interesting to see if JJ is healthy enough to play the field. Slotting him in with Maldonado makes the lineup a lot deeper. Replacing Maldonado much less so. We didn't get much from C or 1B in the Supers, offensively, so hopefully JJ can step into one of those spots.

If JJ comes back hitting and helps us win, I'll lose my mind.
Good thoughts. Texas Tech had 11 players taken in the MLB draft and I think 7 of their starters hit above .300, most of them well above. Pitching is not their strength, but it's good enough. The winner of that game gets the winner of Arkansas/Texas, while the losers play an elimination game. I just read where JJ took full batting practice in Gainesville on Wednesday before the team left for Omaha but a final decision on whether or not he'll play hasn't been made. I know he's chomping at the bit to help his team. Bell is such an excellent defender at 1st base and he's got a nice swing at times. He just seems lost at the plate too often and swings at way too many balls out of the strike zone. Here's a good preview of our side of the bracket:
http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-baseball/florida-gators-college-world-series-bracket/

Last edited:
Good thoughts. Texas Tech had 11 players taken in the MLB draft and I think 7 of their starters hit above .300, most of them well above. Pitching is not their strength, but it's good enough. The winner of that game gets the winner of Arkansas/Texas, while the losers play an elimination game. I just read where JJ took full batting practice in Gainesville on Wednesday before the team left for Omaha but a final decision on whether or not he'll play hasn't been made. I know he's chomping at the bit to help his team. Bell is such an excellent defender at 1st base and he's got a nice swing at times. He just seems lost at the plate too often and swings at way too many balls out of the strike zone. Here's a good preview of our side of the bracket:
http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-baseball/florida-gators-college-world-series-bracket/

Yeah I don’t mind Bell at 1b. He plays real solid at an important defensive position and generally gives good abs.

I appreciate what girand did in the regionals, but he was battling offensively and defensively in the Super. Tough to imagine JJ could jump right back in with that injury and catch. He played a good 1b in the CWS last year. Made the biggest defensive play in Gator history. Probably more likely he dhs or pinch hits I suppose.

This past week has been a really good beginning to the summer. :)

Baseball is back to Omaha to defend their 2017 CWS NC.

Baseball gets 4 voted to All American List.
1st Team Singer, also the D1Baseball Natl. PoY.
1st Team Byrne, see list for all honors.
1st Team India, see list for all honors.
3rd Team Schwarz, see list for all honors.
https://floridagators.com/news/2018/6/13/baseball-gators-rack-up-all-america-honors.aspx

Gator get 3 voted to the Google Cloud Academic All American List
Caeleb Dressel swimming, Josie Kuhlman tennis, and 3X Alex McMurtry gymnastics.
https://floridagators.com/news/2018...-google-cloud-academic-all-america-teams.aspx

Dan gets the WVa Grad-xfer DE Shuler II 6-4 270

OG Heggie and RB Davis (knees) are both 100% and cleared to return to training.

Grant Holloway is now a 2X finalist (2017) for The Bowerman (track Heisman).

Dan gets the #1 JuCo TE 3/50 Krull 6-7 255

RHP Singer joins Gator Mike Zunino (2012) by being awarded the 32nd Dick Howser Trohpy.

And the HITS just keep on a-comin'.....

June 16, 2018
Michael Byrne Named NCBWA Stopper of the Year

OMAHA, Neb.—Florida junior Michael Byrne was named the 2018 Stopper of the Year on Saturday at TD Ameritrade Park. The award is presented annually by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association to the nation's top relief pitcher. --- Byrne is the first UF player to win the award since its inception in 2005.

The junior RHP from Orlando is a two-time All-American and All-SEC First Team selection.
Byrne holds the school record for saves in a season (19 in 2017) and saves in a career (34).
Byrne has a 1.88 earned run average in 85 career appearances.
He has 168 strikeouts with only 23 walks in 148.1 innings in three years at Florida.

https://floridagators.com/news/2018/6/15/baseball-michael-byrne-named-ncbwa-stopper-of-the-year.aspx

And the HITS just keep on a-comin'.....

June 16, 2018
Michael Byrne Named NCBWA Stopper of the Year

OMAHA, Neb.—Florida junior Michael Byrne was named the 2018 Stopper of the Year on Saturday at TD Ameritrade Park. The award is presented annually by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association to the nation's top relief pitcher. --- Byrne is the first UF player to win the award since its inception in 2005.

The junior RHP from Orlando is a two-time All-American and All-SEC First Team selection.
Byrne holds the school record for saves in a season (19 in 2017) and saves in a career (34).
Byrne has a 1.88 earned run average in 85 career appearances.
He has 168 strikeouts with only 23 walks in 148.1 innings in three years at Florida.

https://floridagators.com/news/2018/6/15/baseball-michael-byrne-named-ncbwa-stopper-of-the-year.aspx

Byrne is an absolute stud. He and Faedo were the main reasons we won last year. If we win this year, it will be him and Singer. UF is very very lucky to have had all three of them.

Well, the malaise of inconsistency that has plague the baseball team for the last 6-7 weeks showed it's ugly head vs. Texas Tech. Shoddy defense and the inability to hit with RISP. They can climb out of this hole, but they won't unless they get back to playing like they did the first 2/3 of the season.

Batting totally sucked with Gator's on base.
The Fielding looked like a bunch of scared little leaguers in their 1st away game of the season.
And worse, when you can't make the throw to 1st base, you need to be back in diapers, not out on a CWS field... :cool:

JJ's lackadaisical closed eye swats at the ball on 1st base, instead of catching the ball, cost them more than his miserable blind-swing at-bats did.... Sorry JJ, you've been a great Gator,,, but you need to go sit down and watch the games, not play in them. Good luck with your coming Pro job... :cool:

Singer depended on the guys to have his back, but they took naps instead... I think that it generated the frustration that finally got to him.

If the upperclassmen players are not going to play to win, then play as many of the freshmen as possible. Get them on the field, and begin looking towards team building for next season. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT