ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Doering's take on the Gators & their Fans

FB -- "Got a chance to watch some highlights of Utah's late season games."
Saturday Oct 23rd -- UU 34 - 42 OreSt (NR) 7-6, 5-4 Conf.
=====

What UF or UU did last season will have ZERO impact on what happens on Sept 3rd. Why? Because neither of those 2021 teams will be playing on Sept 3rd.

Dragging out a bunch of totally irrelevant past history is a waste of important and valuable 'talking season' time....
🤗 ----- 🤓 ----- 😁

Looking at those two 2022 teams, UF should win by double digits (10+)...

Last edited:
Fever,

Former UF LB Diabate transferred there right ?

Yes he did. I think him and another guy (or maybe 2 others) are the only starters on defense that aren't true sophomores or that true freshman they have that will be starting. Most of those true sophomores got quite a bit of playing time last year however.

List all LAC12 NC since the CFP began. I'll wait.....

Then list all SEC teams that have won the SEC-C with 4 losses....

There are solid reasons that they are referred to as the LAC-12.
🤓

🤓

You may have a point they lost all their bowl games to non-power 5 teams in 2021 just like the SEC as they went 0-2 while the SEC went 0-3. The SEC was 1-2 against the PAC 12 in the regular season however.

🤓
I totally agree with you. Someone said Washington had never made the playoffs. I was only pointing out that they had(for all the good it did them). As much as I have no respect for the Pac12 I hate to see them implode, you know the “conference of champions “ and all that 🙄.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
I totally agree with you. Someone said Washington had never made the playoffs. I was only pointing out that they had(for all the good it did them). As much as I have no respect for the Pac12 I hate to see them implode, you know the “conference of champions “ and all that 🙄.

That was very recent CFP years though and against a Bama team that had dominated the rest of the SEC. Also Oregon beat up on an FSU team that was the defending national champ over an SEC team in the championship game the year prior. I guess my point is you can't use the SEC winning the national championship in recent years to downplay Utah's chance against us. We haven't been that level of team since 09. Still think we win being at home though.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
I guess my point is you can't use the SEC winning the national championship in recent years to downplay Utah's chance against us. We haven't been that level of team since 09. Still think we win being at home though.
Fever,

Agree; mostly.

Like Paco, IMO, Utah the better team & will win. But I have polished my O&B glasses & will be pulling for the Gators !

That was very recent CFP years though and against a Bama team that had dominated the rest of the SEC. Also Oregon beat up on an FSU team that was the defending national champ over an SEC team in the championship game the year prior. I guess my point is you can't use the SEC winning the national championship in recent years to downplay Utah's chance against us. We haven't been that level of team since 09. Still think we win being at home though.

2019 - UF 11-2, 6-2 SEC

UF's 2 losses were to:

15-0 LSU SEC-C & NC ----- LSU 42 - 25 CU 14-1

12-2 UGA 24 - 17 UF 11-2 (-7)
12-2 UGA 26 - 14 BU 11-3 (-12) ----- Sugar Bowl

UF 36 - 28 Va -- Orange Bowl.

Last edited:
You may have a point they lost all their bowl games to non-power 5 teams in 2021 just like the SEC as they went 0-2 while the SEC went 0-3. The SEC was 1-2 against the PAC 12 in the regular season however.

Six of the 7 SEC's Bowl losses, were to teams that had better season W/L records.

The SEC again had 2 teams playing against each other for the NC, so they mis-match SEC bowl opponents to throw them a
(we beat an SEC team in a bowl) bone....

Six of the 7 SEC's Bowl losses, were to teams that had better season W/L records.

The SEC again had 2 teams playing against each other for the NC, so they mis-match SEC bowl opponents to throw them a
(we beat an SEC team in a bowl) bone....

So SEC teams playing non-power 5 teams that hardly have any blue chip recruits are considered mismatches now?

Fever,

Agree; mostly.

Like Paco, IMO, Utah the better team & will win. But I have polished my O&B glasses & will be pulling for the Gators !
My last words on the Utah Utes team quality...

Utah Recruits:

2022 - #34 Class - 19 - 3 4-stars, 15 3-stars, 1 NR
4-stars - #7 LB, #16 QB, #32 RB.
5 X-fers - 1 4-star (Diabate), 4 3-stars

2021 - #31 Class - 17 - 4 4-stars, 13 3-stars
4-stars - #8 LB, #19 RB, #27 QB, #33 LB.
8 X-fers - 2 4-stars, 6 3-stars

2020 - #30 Class - 20 - 4 4-stars, 15 3-stars, 1 NR
4-stars - #6 CB, #8 SDE, #10 SDE, #34 S
4 X-fers - 3 3-stars, 1 NR

2019 - #36 Class - 15 - 3 4-stars, 11 3-stars, 1 2-star
4-stars - #3 OT, #4 APB, #20 OG
8 X-fers - 1 5-star LB, 1 4-star, 4 3-stars, 2 2-stars

UU's 4 Class combined totals:
1 5-star LB
14 4-stars
70 3-stars
2 2-stars
2 NR

4 Recruit Class Averages (2019-2022) -- UF 12 - UU 35 - VU 52
UF is 23 better than UU
UU is only 17 better than VU

If you put UU in the SEC, they would be among the bottom 3-4 teams.
SCa Lamecock's recruit classes are higher rated than Utah's.

Define Better???
UF certainly has the much higher rated recruits on their team than UU has.

Reactions: seffnergator
Remember when the Rose Bowl was the epicenter of college football? Man have times changed...

Reactions: Nicktheslick
"I just like the look in the eye that I see. We've got some veteran players that I think have done a really good job, and then we've got a lot of work to do as a coaching staff. I do like the group we brought in. But year one, new staff, new place, new group of players, new roster, I mean, we're a work in progress. I would tell you this: Every team in the country's got its own set of issues and problems, right? We're all working through that."

This is a key for the iG, especially at #2 QB:

"There’s a lot of roles to be determined on our team. We’re not sitting here with eight, nine, 10 starters coming back across the board. We’ve got positions where we’ve got to develop a second man up, a third guy up. And that’s the beautiful thing about training camp, is it provides and creates that opportunity.” -- CBN

The iG's two most burning questions:

Who will be the backup QB? (I'm going with Brown)
Will the D be better? Of the 5 Gators on pre-season All SEC, 4 are on D:
Cox - Dexter - Miller - Dean --- RG O'Cyrus Torrence
OC Eguakun on Rimington Watch List
The OL was good in 2021, they will also be better in 22...
==========

The iG's Possible Depth Chart going into Fall practice:

QB - AR-15 + ?Brown - Kitna - Miller?

RB - Wright or M.Johnson - Lingard - Etienne

TE - Zipperer - Zanders - Odom - Elksnis - Keeter - Fr???

LT - Gouraige - Barber - H.Jordan
LG - White - Simonds - Mugharbil - Farmer
OC - Eguakun - Leonard - Slaughter
RG - O.Torrence - Braun - Harrod - C.Willams
RT - Tarquin - Waites - Conner

WR-x - Shorter - Pearsall - Burke - Douglas
WR-y - Wittemore - Weston - Reynolds - K.Jackson
WR-z - Henderson - Fraziars - Chiaokhiao-Bowman - Pouncey
-----
KR - Weston - Henderson
=====

DE - Umanmielen - Sapp - Boone
NT - Watson - Lee - Humphries
DT - Dexter - McClellan - McDowell - Lyons
Jack - Cox Jr - Summerall III - Powell-Ryland - Borders
Mike - Miller - Wingo - Scooby
Will - Burney - Black - Shemar

CB-f - Helm - Hill - E.Pouncey
SS - Dean III - Wilcoxson - Wilson - Mitchell
FS - R.Torrence - McMillon - Collier - Mitchell
CB-b - Marshall Jr - Kimber - Moore
Nic - T.Johnson - Perkins - Young
---
P - Crawshaw - Watkins - Brady - Waxman
K - Mihalek - Smack - Freeman
LS Ortiz - Underwood
H - Crawshaw

Around & Around & Around they goes, and where they stop, nobody knows....

Updates by ESPN analyst Bill Connelly to his Returning Production; Gators now ranked 100 out of 131 teams. Loss of QB Emery Jones, running backs Dameon Pierce and Malik Davis and wide receiver Jacob Copeland.

Gain of Arizona State receiver transfer Ricky Pearsall, who adds a very significant chunk of production. He racked up 48 catches for 580 yards and 4 TDs.

Usual caveats apply; all returning production not the same; etc.

Returning Production for Florida & UF's 2022 FBS Opponents
https://247sports.com/college/flori...nationally-in-returning-production-188109964/

3. USF (85%)
17. Florida State (78%)
19. Tennessee (76%)
24. South Carolina (73%)
46. Kentucky (68%)
49. Utah (67%)
51. Vanderbilt (67%)
55. Missouri (66%)
70. LSU (64%)
89. Georgia (59%)
98. Texas A&M (56%)
100. Florida (55%)

But when I look at the above list & see what Tenn, S Car, KY, Utah, LSU, UGA, & aTm bring back & who I favor in these games, I do see a correlation.
SC number is higher than 73%……2 offensive starters return in 2022 who missed all of most of 2021 to injury. If you add in Rattler as an experienced starter, that returning % goes above 80%.

Nick,

Thanks ! Math was never my best subject.

That will teach me to TRY to post intelligently late at night after drinking an adult beverage or two ! LOL

More than likely we will lose a 4th game from this group - Kentucky, Tennessee, LSU, or South Carolina.

Ending up 8-4 & earning a mid major bowl bid - hopefully in Florida - would be a reasonable improvement from last year
UF would do well to win 2-4 of those games versus UT, KY, SC and LSU.

I agree. And candidly it's not because KY and SC have become national powers but rather we have fallen to fighting for mid level SEC success.
Country,

Sad but true !

Napier has a long road ahead of him !

But, Grasshopper, the journey of of a thousand miles starts with that 1st decisive step !

IMO, Billy has already taken that 1st step, but he has many more ahead of him.

LOL

Least youse-guys have forgotten, Dan took a much worse (4-7) that most said would be lucky to win 6 and make a chump bowl, to a 10-3 first season, with a 41 - 15 win over Mich in the Peach Bowl.

I believe that I was one of the very few that said preseason that he would win 9 games, not the 5-6 predicted by the media-morons, and by many fans....

That said, I'm going with a low of 8 wins, with a high of 10 wins for 2022.
Put up your WaG's for the season, pre-Fall practice.
We can revise our guesses post-Fall practice for the season...

Least youse-guys have forgotten, Dan took a much worse (4-7) that most said would be lucky to win 6 and make a chump bowl, to a 10-3 first season, with a 41 - 15 win over Mich in the Peach Bowl.

I believe that I was one of the very few that said preseason that he would win 9 games, not the 5-6 predicted by the media-morons, and by many fans....

I’m going optimistic. 9-3.

In some ways we are setup better than we were back then for a big 1 year turnaround. If Richardson catches on at all he will be way better than Franks.

Fall Practice begins next week, so it seems to me that it's time to start blowing some smoke up under the coming opponents dresses.... 😉

The Outland Trophy, given to college football's best interior lineman, will be announced Dec. 8.
Both DT Dexter and RG O.Torrence are on the Outland Watch List.
ILB Miller is now a 3x Butkus Award Watch List recipient.
OC Eguakun is on the Rimington Watch List.
QB Richardson is on the Maxwell Watch List.
All SEC Gators:
BUCK Cox, DT Dexter, ILB Miller , FS Dean & OG O'Cyrus

Note: UF was #2 in the SEC in 2021 in OL sacks given up - 14 sacks.
The best of that OL returns, with the addition of:
All SEC RG O'Cyrus Torrence.
First Team All-Sun Belt (2021)
Second Team All-Sun Belt (2020)
Two-time Joe Moore Award Semifinalist (2020-21)
Shaun Alexander Freshman All-American (2019)
Gator OL - LT Gouraige, LG White, OC Eguakun, RG O'Cyrus, RT Tarquin

QB-dt Anthony Richardson Spring game:
P - 18 of 24 75% for 207 yds, 11.5 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, Zero Ints.
R - 6 for 22 3.7 ypc, 1 TD, Zero LPF's (called down when touched)
Yep, it was just the Spring game, but he's definitely improved, and he was pretty good as a Fr backup last season. His 2021 live game rushing was at 7.9 ypc
He's already being projected as a 1st Rnd NFL E-D.

“Pretty easy (calling plays) when 15 is back there throwing it around,” Napier said after the Spring game. And AR-15 6-4 232 has recently been GPS clocked at 21.5 MPH.

Richardson was invited back to the Manning Passing Academy as a counselor. And AR put on a show with the longest throw, a 78 yarder...

And oh BTW, Florida has matched or exceeded its media poll projection in 3 of the last 5 seasons.

Those making a big deal out of UF losing RB's Pierce and Davis to the NFL need to consider the current Gator RB room, running behind that improved OL: In 2021 -- 208.7 YPG Rushing. (projecting that to increase in 2022)

RB Lorenzo Lingard 6-0 209 ***** rsJr
RB Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 202 **** rsSo
RB Montrell Johnson Jr 5-11 218 **** So - ULL xfer, Sun Belt Fr PoY
RB Trevor Etienne 5-9 217 **** Fr
RB Eddie Battle 6-1 215 rsSr - PWO MizSt xfer
---
RB Corneilus Barnes 6-0 171 rsFr
RB Carison Joseph 5-11 196 rsFr
RB Gabriel Ortiz 5-11 185 Fr

Fall Practice begins next week, so it seems to me that it's time to start blowing some smoke up under the coming opponents dresses.... 😉

The Outland Trophy, given to college football's best interior lineman, will be announced Dec. 8.
Both DT Dexter and RG O.Torrence are on the Outland Watch List.
ILB Miller is now a 3x Butkus Award Watch List recipient.
OC Eguakun is on the Rimington Watch List.
QB Richardson is on the Maxwell Watch List.
All SEC Gators:
BUCK Cox, DT Dexter, ILB Miller , FS Dean & OG O'Cyrus

Note: UF was #2 in the SEC in 2021 in OL sacks given up - 14 sacks.
The best of that OL returns, with the addition of:
All SEC RG O'Cyrus Torrence.
First Team All-Sun Belt (2021)
Second Team All-Sun Belt (2020)
Two-time Joe Moore Award Semifinalist (2020-21)
Shaun Alexander Freshman All-American (2019)
Gator OL - LT Gouraige, LG White, OC Eguakun, RG O'Cyrus, RT Tarquin

QB-dt Anthony Richardson Spring game:
P - 18 of 24 75% for 207 yds, 11.5 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's, Zero Ints.
R - 6 for 22 3.7 ypc, 1 TD, Zero LPF's (called down when touched)
Yep, it was just the Spring game, but he's definitely improved, and he was pretty good as a Fr backup last season. His 2021 live game rushing was at 7.9 ypc
He's already being projected as a 1st Rnd NFL E-D.

“Pretty easy (calling plays) when 15 is back there throwing it around,” Napier said after the Spring game. And AR-15 6-4 232 has recently been GPS clocked at 21.5 MPH.

Richardson was invited back to the Manning Passing Academy as a counselor. And AR put on a show with the longest throw, a 78 yarder...

And oh BTW, Florida has matched or exceeded its media poll projection in 3 of the last 5 seasons.

Those making a big deal out of UF losing RB's Pierce and Davis to the NFL need to consider the current Gator RB room, running behind that improved OL: In 2021 -- 208.7 YPG Rushing. (projecting that to increase in 2022)

RB Lorenzo Lingard 6-0 209 ***** rsJr
RB Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 202 **** rsSo
RB Montrell Johnson Jr 5-11 218 **** So - ULL xfer, Sun Belt Fr PoY
RB Trevor Etienne 5-9 217 **** Fr
RB Eddie Battle 6-1 215 rsSr - PWO MizSt xfer
---
RB Corneilus Barnes 6-0 171 rsFr
RB Carison Joseph 5-11 196 rsFr
RB Gabriel Ortiz 5-11 185 Fr

You think Lingard will be the primary RB?

You think Lingard will be the primary RB?

No, but that's still a possibility.
I just listed them by class seniority.

My guess to begin the season is:
Wright/Johnson
Lingard
Etienne
But for all we know before Fall practice even begins, it could be true Fr Etienne, or rsSr xfer-in Battle....

No, but that's still a possibility.
I just listed them by class seniority.

My guess to begin the season is:
Wright/Johnson
Lingard
Etienne
But for all we know before Fall practice even begins, it could be true Fr Etienne, or rsSr xfer-in Battle....

I would be really surprised if it's not Wright or Johnson.

My last words on the Utah Utes team quality...

Utah Recruits:

2022 - #34 Class - 19 - 3 4-stars, 15 3-stars, 1 NR
4-stars - #7 LB, #16 QB, #32 RB.
5 X-fers - 1 4-star (Diabate), 4 3-stars

2021 - #31 Class - 17 - 4 4-stars, 13 3-stars
4-stars - #8 LB, #19 RB, #27 QB, #33 LB.
8 X-fers - 2 4-stars, 6 3-stars

2020 - #30 Class - 20 - 4 4-stars, 15 3-stars, 1 NR
4-stars - #6 CB, #8 SDE, #10 SDE, #34 S
4 X-fers - 3 3-stars, 1 NR

2019 - #36 Class - 15 - 3 4-stars, 11 3-stars, 1 2-star
4-stars - #3 OT, #4 APB, #20 OG
8 X-fers - 1 5-star LB, 1 4-star, 4 3-stars, 2 2-stars

UU's 4 Class combined totals:
1 5-star LB
14 4-stars
70 3-stars
2 2-stars
2 NR

4 Recruit Class Averages (2019-2022) -- UF 12 - UU 35 - VU 52
UF is 23 better than UU
UU is only 17 better than VU

If you put UU in the SEC, they would be among the bottom 3-4 teams.
SCa Lamecock's recruit classes are higher rated than Utah's.

Define Better???
UF certainly has the much higher rated recruits on their team than UU has.
Sca lamecocks😅too 😁

A reporter at SEC Media-Daze asked starting LT Gouraige a question about Florida’s new co-offensive line coaches Rob Sale and Darnell Stapleton. “What has it been like working with Rob Sale and Darnell Stapleton,”

From Richard, “Two of the best coaches in the country,” he responded enthusiastically, "hands down. You’re not going to have two coaches that’s always available but if one coach is in a meeting, you can call another coach and do some extra drills and watch some extra film,” Gouraige said. “Having two coaches, if you utilize them right, can be a big impact on the team.”

Now, add that in to the departure of the weak side of the 2021 OL, the RG & RT, to be replaced by RG O'Cyrus Torrence and RT Michael Tarquin, and you have the set-up for a vast improvement in what was already a pretty good OL.

According to Gouraige, the move has already paid off as his unit has taken strides toward being game ready for the upcoming season. He said the Gators’ offensive line should look even better than it did a year ago when it had “stuff we needed to make some minor tweaks on.” Still, the Gators ranked No. 6 in the country in games against FBS opponents in rushing yards per attempt (5.4) and No. 7 in opponent sack percentage
(3.54). >> They were #2 in the SEC giving up only 14 sacks on the season. Florida’s offensive line is in a favorable situation as far as skill development and coaching go.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT