Chris Doering's take on the Gators & their Fans

Fever,

You found a 415 -

ESPN; in his Bio as an entering Fr - has 400
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4431607

DESMOND WATSON​

Freshman
6' 5", 400 lbs

This is current, after spring practice, from the official web site of the Univ of Florida we have - drum roll please - 439
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster/desmond-watson/15248
  • WEIGHT 439
  • HEIGHT 6-5
  • CLASS So

A lot of good eating going on; probably looking to be a Sonny's Pitmaster like Shannon Snell; good BBQ will definitely stick to your ribs & other places ! LOL

Watson on the See Food Diet - he sees food & he eats it ! LOL

Watson's lack of conditioning & his inability to play more 2 plays in a row, was why Napier went after so many DL in the portal.

"The backup D linemen with the Blue squad weren't getting much pressure at all on passing downs if I remember correctly."

Which is why I think Napier will be looking to make changes on our DL very soon.

If they do it soon enough, the players can convert to an "academic type" scholarship will allows them to stay in school, but they can't be part of the team.

Was written up on several Gator websites

I would wait and see what it says when camp starts as he was sub 400 in that game. If he shows up near 415 again that is a bad sign though.

I would wait and see what it says when camp starts as he was sub 400 in that game. If he shows up near 415 again that is a bad sign though.
Fever

Watson's weight seems difficult to capture / document.

In the past there has been an "official" height / weight / photo check in at some point before the start of fall practice.

Guess we will know more then.

IMO, if he had been anywhere near as dedicated as Ethan White, Mark Hocke would have been giving him glowing testimonials all spring / summer to encourage him.

I have not heard / read any.

And obviously, FloridaGators.com did not just pick the numbers
6-5 & 439 lbs out of thin air !

Also feel that Napier was seriously trying to recruit Portal DTs for a reason ! - Gervon Dexter the only DT on our roster who is SEC caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever

College football rankings: Phil Steele reveals preseason top 40 poll

Phil Steele is known as one of the most accurate predictors in the game, especially when it comes to his preseason rankings projections.

Steele says he bases his preseason top 40 on how he feels teams will finish in the final rankings at the end of the season following the bowl games and playoff.

Our three toughest opponents stay in top 10; Kentucky & Tennessee move around a little.

For me; UCF surprising.

35. Kentucky Wildcats
32 Florida Gators
27. Tennessee Volunteers

17. UCF Knights
9. TEXAS A&M AGGIES

6. UTAH UTES

3. GEORGIA BULLDOGS

2. OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

1. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...preseason-top-40-poll-189921650/#189921650_20

Last edited:
#32 Florida Gators --- That's an excellent place to begin from.

In 2005, the Gator B-Ball team began the season at #32 and won their 1st NC....
😉

So much for pre-season ranking polls.
😁

Isn’t it interesting that LSU with a ballyhooed Brian Kelly in as new head coach and talent on hand doesn’t show up on Phil Steele’s Top 40? My outlook includes a win over Utah in a steamy, suffocating Swamp September 3, then wins over Kentucky, in Knoxville over UT, at home over Mizzou and LSU… surprisingly unbeaten going into the UGA and at A&M back-to-back games. Those two match-ups will either splash our Gators in the face with a big dose of reality or coronate them as a genuine Cinderella wearing still fragile glass slippers. Of course, my sunny outlook hangs on Anthony Richardson 1) staying healthy and 2) living up to his potential.

Isn’t it interesting that LSU with a ballyhooed Brian Kelly in as new head coach and talent on hand doesn’t show up on Phil Steele’s Top 40? My outlook includes a win over Utah in a steamy, suffocating Swamp September 3, then wins over Kentucky, in Knoxville over UT, at home over Mizzou and LSU… surprisingly unbeaten going into the UGA and at A&M back-to-back games. Those two match-ups will either splash our Gators in the face with a big dose of reality or coronate them as a genuine Cinderella wearing still fragile glass slippers. Of course, my sunny outlook hangs on Anthony Richardson 1) staying healthy and 2) living up to his potential.

If we start 4-0 I will start dreaming then. We could possibly make the playoff with a Georgia loss.

College football rankings: Phil Steele reveals preseason top 40 poll

Phil Steele is known as one of the most accurate predictors in the game, especially when it comes to his preseason rankings projections.

Steele says he bases his preseason top 40 on how he feels teams will finish in the final rankings at the end of the season following the bowl games and playoff.

Our three toughest opponents stay in top 10; Kentucky & Tennessee move around a little.

For me; UCF surprising.

35. Kentucky Wildcats
32 Florida Gators
27. Tennessee Volunteers

17. UCF Knights
9. TEXAS A&M AGGIES

6. UTAH UTES

3. GEORGIA BULLDOGS

2. OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

1. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...preseason-top-40-poll-189921650/#189921650_20

So he isn't as high on KY and Tenn as some others.

Phil Steele's Projected Top 40 Poll Final Rankings for 2022:
36. Ark
35 UK
32. UF
30. Miss
27. Tenn
-----
9. aTm
3. UGly
1. UA
Three in the Top 10, with zero in the rest of the Top 25.
Sorry Phil, but I'm calling BS on that projection...

=====
Others:
6. Utah -- Joke, with another joke SoS.
12. scUM
17. UCF
=====

So Phil thinks that only 3 2022 SEC teams will finish in the Top 25.
If that happens, it might be and all time first for the 21st Century.

2021 Final AP Poll Rankings:
21. Ark
18. UK
11. Miss
2. UA
1. UGly - NC
=====

2020 Final AP Poll Rankings:
13. UF

7. UGly
4. aTm
1. UA - NC
=====

2019 Final AP Poll Rankings:
14. AU
8. UA
6. UF
4. UGly
1. LSU - NC
=====
=====

CBSSports AP Top 25 2022 Preseason Poll
1. UGly
2. UA
11. Miss
18. UK
22. Ark
-----
26. aTm
======

I've always liked and respected Phil, but maybe he's going senile in his old age???

Isn’t it interesting that LSU with a ballyhooed Brian Kelly in as new head coach and talent on hand doesn’t show up on Phil Steele’s Top 40? My outlook includes a win over Utah in a steamy, suffocating Swamp September 3, then wins over Kentucky, in Knoxville over UT, at home over Mizzou and LSU… surprisingly unbeaten going into the UGA and at A&M back-to-back games.

Tatton, I beat you to that punch a page ago in this thread, but welcome to my Gator's 7-0 party.
😉

Pre-DIC-shuns.....

With what Dan left, and what Nappy has brought in,,,,,
(Dan left QB-dt AR-15, while Nappy brought in QB-dt Max Brown)

the Gators will go into the WLOCP at 7-0 with the SECe-C on the line...

How's that for a bold WaG?

11191907.png

The 15 teams that have any chance to win a national championship. We are # 10 out of the 15. Are we just a 2nd dominant DT short of being a true contender for the playoff?

Reactions: rdgtr

Ranking the opponents on Florida's 2022 schedule​

Win the games we should win & split the toss ups - Gators 7-5

Games We Win
NO. 12 – EASTERN WASHINGTON - @BHG Stadium
NO. 11 – SOUTH FLORIDA - @BHG Stadium
NO. 10 – VANDERBILT - @Nashville

Gators slightly favored - games we win ?
NO. 9 – MISSOURI - @BHG Stadium; at home, but after last year's 24-23 win in OT, Missouri will be confident
NO. 7 – FLORIDA STATE - @Tallahassee, 2021 Gator D collapses 4th qtr; but win 24-21; could be a tossup at game time

Toss Up - Games we split ??
NO. 8 – SOUTH CAROLINA - @BHG Stadium; last year in Columbia, Gamecocks DOMINATED Gators 40-17; moved this game to Tossup only because its at home & I wear Orange & Blue glasses
NO. 6 – TENNESSEE - @rocky top; 2021-Gators 38-14; Gators-play USF & 2 tough games at home; Vols-2 cupcakes at home & Pittsburg on the road
NO. 5 – KENTUCKY - @BHG Stadium, 2021-UK won 20-13 in Lexington, tossup because we are at home
NO. 4 – LSU - @BHG Stadium; tied 35 all in 3rd qtr; offensive screwups by Gators, let LSU win 49-42 in the 4th; Kelly - experienced Power 5 coach, has revamped his roster through T-Portal

Gators are Underdogs
Games We lose
NO. 3 – UTAH - @BHG Stadium; Utes a better team especially in 1st game for both
NO. 2 – TEXAS A&M - @College Station; TAMU strongly favored
NO. 1 – GEORGIA - WLOCP Jacksonville; Dawgs heavily favored

For a brief synopsis -
https://247sports.com/college/flori...n-Floridas-2022-schedule-190058193/#1921464_1

Last edited:
Gators are Underdogs
Games We lose
NO. 3 – UTAH - @BHG Stadium; Utes a better team especially in 1st game for both
UF's last 4 recruit classes average a #12 Class.
UU's
last 4 recruit classes average a #35 Class.

Now, try to respond out of just one side of your mouth.
UF has a much better team than UU has, or else recruit class rankings are total BS...

Note: Nappier has a better win % over the last 4 seasons than Whittingham has.

UF's last 4 recruit classes average a #12 Class.
UU's
last 4 recruit classes average a #35 Class.

Now, try to respond out of just one side of your mouth.
UF has a much better team than UU has, or else recruit class rankings are total BS...

Note: Nappier has a better win % over the last 4 seasons than Whittingham has.

So you agree Mullen and his trusty DC could take what should be the #7 or # 8 most talented roster by the composite index and lead it to a losing record?

While attempting to beat up on the Gator's DL, DT's in particular, there is this to consider:

DT Gervon Dexter 6-6 313 ***** Jr - Starter (projected ED to NFL)
2 seasons - 70 Tkls, 5.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 2 FR, 1 Int.

DT/NT Jaelin Humphries 6-3 330 rsSo - 2 Gms rsJr (injuries) <<<

DT Jalen Lee 6-2 305 So - 13 Gms backup - 9 Tkls, 1.5 TFL
DT/NT Desmond Watson 6-5 395 So - 13 Gms backup, 7 Tkls, 0.5 Sac
Watson's Wt/Conditioning will matter on Sept 3rd, not before then.
And that's the same with the rest of the team at every position...

DT Keenan Landry 6-3 335 *** - Jennings, LA - JuCo xfer PWO
In 2021, Landry had 31 Tkl's and a sack in just 9 games as a tFr.

DT Jamari Lyons 6-4 300 Fr with an 81" wing span.
Had 9 sacks as a HS Fr, then progressed to 13 sacks and 37 TFL as a Sr.
Across 38 HS Gms in 4 years, he tallied:
289 Tkl's, 41 sacks, 81 TFL, 12 PBU's, 3 Int's, 3 FF's.
😨

DT Chris McClellan 6-3 309 **** Fr - EE
Across his 16 HS Gms, 62 Tkls, 6 TFL, 4 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR.
😨

Fr DT Unknowns my aching ass....

And since everyone agrees that the terrible defensive coaching staff are all gone and are replaced with excellent coaches, then we can expect the defense to be much improved over 2021, right???

This entire post was done with the upmost respect for any and all talking season dissenting opinions... 😉

Last edited:
So you agree Mullen and his trusty DC could take what should be the #7 or # 8 most talented roster by the composite index and lead it to a losing record?
Are you a sock for Jeff, or just butting in feveredbrain?

And while butting in, you choose to duck, dodge, and distract, instead of responding to the questions posed. Typical....

While you always try to ignore Dan taking McLame's 4-7 team to B-2-B 10+ win seasons and a SECe title, before suffering a scamdemic cluster.
Go away little boy, you're annoying the grown-ups again...
😜
(you asked for it, so you got it)

Are you a sock for Jeff, or just butting in feveredbrain?

And while butting in, you choose to duck, dodge, and distract, instead of responding to the questions posed. Typical....

While you always try to ignore Dan taking McLame's 4-7 team to B-2-B 10+ win seasons and a SECe title, before suffering a scamdemic cluster.
Go away little boy, you're annoying the grown-ups again...
😜
(you asked for it, so you got it)

Show me Dan's record as the head coach at Florida against lower and higher composite talented teams. I may look at it myself and come back and update the numbers myself.

If we start 2-0 and Richardson can stay on the field I think 8-4 would be our floor. If we start 0-2 no telling how bad things could fall apart.
Fever,

I thinking/hoping we start 1-1 & end up 7-5 or 8-4.
Depends, of course, on the "Toss Up" games.

Last year we lost 3 out of these 4 games. Beat Tenn decisively, lost to S Carolina decisively.

Last year - Kentucky & LSU - close losses in the 4th qtr.

NO. 5 – KENTUCKY - @BHG Stadium - week after Utah; tough challenge; probably the key game of the season;

Fever, as you pointed out difference between starting 0-2 vs 1-1 huge.

NO. 6 – TENNESSEE - @rocky top - week after USF; hope to win 2 in a row

NO. 4 – LSU - @BHG Stadium - Eastern Wash, Missouri (homecoming), then LSU; hope to win 3 in a row

NO. 8 – SOUTH CAROLINA - @BHG Stadium-Nov 12; a decisive loss last year; timing of this game terrible - 1 week after back to back losses to top 10 teams UGA & TAMU;

I see this as a loss; we will lose the 2 games before them; likely to be physically beat up; & see no way Napier can get them back to a winning mental state

In all fairness Mullen had already mailed it in and should have won two or three of those games.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
Fever,

I thinking/hoping we start 1-1 & end up 7-5 or 8-4.
Depends, of course, on the "Toss Up" games.

Last year we lost 3 out of these 4 games. Beat Tenn decisively, lost to S Carolina decisively.

Last year - Kentucky & LSU - close losses in the 4th qtr.

NO. 5 – KENTUCKY - @BHG Stadium - week after Utah; tough challenge; probably the key game of the season;

Fever, as you pointed out difference between starting 0-2 vs 1-1 huge.

NO. 6 – TENNESSEE - @rocky top - week after USF; hope to win 2 in a row

NO. 4 – LSU - @BHG Stadium - Eastern Wash, Missouri (homecoming), then LSU; hope to win 3 in a row

NO. 8 – SOUTH CAROLINA - @BHG Stadium-Nov 12; a decisive loss last year; timing of this game terrible - 1 week after back to back losses to top 10 teams UGA & TAMU;

I see this as a loss; we will lose the 2 games before them; likely to be physically beat up; & see no way Napier can get them back to a winning mental state

7-5 will be a disappointment imo and according to @instaGATOR I think our floor should be bare minimum 9-3 and maybe even 10-2 depending on what LSU has left due to our recruiting talent level of the players.

I see previously Mullen went 28-7 against lower talent composite teams while he went 6-8 against higher talent composite teams.

Show me Dan's record as the head coach at Florida against lower and higher composite talented teams. I may look at it myself and come back and update the numbers myself.
Dan's gone/history, so zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Not paying attention as usual I see.
(Feveredbrains, you ride on Dan, worse than Brandon tries to ride on Trump)
"Go away little boy, you're annoying the grown-ups again..."
😜

Last edited:
It costs NADA to make a WaG here, and it amuses me to do so, so here ya go.

7-0 going into the WLOCP.
10-2 to finish the regular season.
Anything below 8 wins and it's time to fire the Nappy....

Bowl pre-DIC-tions will have to wait.

While attempting to beat up on the Gator's DL, DT's in particular, there is this to consider:

DT Gervon Dexter 6-6 313 ***** Jr - Starter (projected ED to NFL)
2 seasons - 70 Tkls, 5.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 2 FR, 1 Int.

DT/NT Jaelin Humphries 6-3 330 rsSo - 2 Gms rsJr (injuries) <<<

DT Jalen Lee 6-2 305 So - 13 Gms backup - 9 Tkls, 1.5 TFL
DT/NT Desmond Watson 6-5 395 So - 13 Gms backup, 7 Tkls, 0.5 Sac
Watson's Wt/Conditioning will matter on Sept 3rd, not before then.
And that's the same with the rest of the team at every position...

DT Keenan Landry 6-3 335 *** - Jennings, LA - JuCo xfer PWO
In 2021, Landry had 31 Tkl's and a sack in just 9 games as a tFr.

DT Jamari Lyons 6-4 300 Fr with an 81" wing span.
Had 9 sacks as a HS Fr, then progressed to 13 sacks and 37 TFL as a Sr.
Across 38 HS Gms in 4 years, he tallied:
289 Tkl's, 41 sacks, 81 TFL, 12 PBU's, 3 Int's, 3 FF's.
😨

DT Chris McClellan 6-3 309 **** Fr - EE
Across his 16 HS Gms, 62 Tkls, 6 TFL, 4 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR.
😨

Fr DT Unknowns my aching ass....

And since everyone agrees that the terrible defensive coaching staff are all gone and are replaced with excellent coaches, then we can expect the defense to be much improved over 2021, right???

This entire post was done with the upmost respect for any and all talking season dissenting opinions... 😉
I predict the gators will line up correctly and not jump offside on the first play from scrimmage (no kidding) and I will feel some peace.

7-5 will be a disappointment imo and according to @instaGATOR I think our floor should be bare minimum 9-3 and maybe even 10-2 depending on what LSU has left due to our recruiting talent level of the players.

I see previously Mullen went 28-7 against lower talent composite teams while he went 6-8 against higher talent composite teams.
Fever,

Nothing would please me more than to have the opportunity to eat my words/predictions !

I not sure that we have recruited better than LSU; predictions of how good they will be are all over the board.

Do know we have lost the last two games to them; the one in the Covid - SEC only season a disgrace !

"...I see previously Mullen went 28-7 against lower talent composite teams while he went 6-8 against higher talent composite teams."

Mullen also had SEC head coaching experience at Miss sate & UF; Napier has none.

Once you get past the top 5 or 7 teams, pre season ranking & predictions don't mean much - its the talking season ! LOL

Reactions: instaGATOR
Fever,

Nothing would please me more than to have the opportunity to eat my words/predictions !

I not sure that we have recruited better than LSU; predictions of how good they will be are all over the board.

Do know we have lost the last two games to them; the one in the Covid - SEC only season a disgrace !

"...I see previously Mullen went 28-7 against lower talent composite teams while he went 6-8 against higher talent composite teams."

Mullen also had SEC head coaching experience at Miss sate & UF; Napier has none.

Once you get past the top 5 or 7 teams, pre season ranking & predictions don't mean much - its the talking season ! LOL

Still no real excuse not to start 2-0 as Utah is traveling that far in the 1st game of the season in that hostile environment. Same with Kentucky coming to town. We just have to man up and beat those teams at home.

While factual, imo that means absolutely nothing Jeff....

Current SEC Head coaches that were Assist Coaches with Saban:
Smart - Lame Kitten - Napier

Urban had ZERO SEC experience of any kind.
His HC'ing experience was at BG and UU before UF.

And while also factual, that also means absolutely nothing....

Either you can coach a position, or you can't.
Either you can hire and run a program as a HC, or you can't.
Napier has already shown and proven that he can do either/both.
And he was left with a team that's a #12 average rating recruiting classes.
Get it done. No freakin' excuses....

Last edited:
Reactions: seffnergator
Still no real excuse not to start 2-0 as Utah is traveling that far in the 1st game of the season in that hostile environment. Same with Kentucky coming to town. We just have to man up and beat those teams at home.
Fever,

Don't see a 2-0 start.

IMO, Utah wins a close game. I believe they will come cross continent on Wednesday to get acclimated to the time zone change. Heat / weather at 7:30 pm should not be any worse than what they get in the desert like (dry heat-LOL) conditions in Utah.

FYI - average high temp in Salt Lake City for August & early September is 92 degrees !

Kyle Whittingham has been the head coach at Utah since 2004 - 18 years. No staff turnover & a team that knows his system.
I doubt that that our players are more talented than Utah - even if they are, it won't be at every position & Utah's greater familiarity with their system & each other will tend to negate that.

Utah beat Oregon twice & won the PAC12; they played Ohio State basically even up in the Rose Bowl.

If we played Ohio State in our 1st game, who would you favor ?

Plus we lack depth in several key positions - QB & DT being the worst with OL still a huge question mark.

As Insta points out, we have big bodies to put out on the DL, but being big doesn't guarantee they will play well - no experience.

At QB, if Anthony Richardson, goes down, we are screwed.

Old coaching maxim - Don't let a team beat you twice !

Even though both games are at home, playing KY the week after Utah will create problems. If, as I believe, Utah beats us, a close SEC game at home against a physical KY team will be very tough.

Realize games are played on the field & perhaps I am selling Napier & the Gators short - I hope so.

Last edited:
Fever,

Don't see a 2-0 start.

IMO, Utah wins a close game. I believe they will come cross continent on Wednesday to get acclimated to the time zone change. Heat / weather at 7:30 pm should not be any worse than what they get in the desert like (dry heat-LOL) conditions in Utah.

FYI - average high temp in Salt Lake City for August & early September is 92 degrees !

Kyle Whittingham has been the head coach at Utah since 2004 - 18 years. No staff turnover & a team that knows his system.
I doubt that that our players are more talented than Utah - even if they are, it won't be at every position & Utah's greater familiarity with their system & each other will tend to negate that.

Utah beat Oregon twice & won the PAC12; they played Ohio State basically even up in the Rose Bowl.

Plus we lack depth in several key positions - QB & DT being the worst with OL still a huge question mark.

As Insta points out, we have big bodies to put out on the DL, but being big doesn't guarantee they will play well - no experience.

Even though both games are at home, playing KY the week after Utah will create problems. If, as I believe, Utah beats us, a close SEC game at home against a physical KY team will be very tough.

Realize games are played on the field & perhaps I am selling Napier & the Gators short - I hope so.

I know Utah is a good team but having to beat us in the Swamp might bee too much for them - especially facing Richardson who has all off-season to prepare for them. If this was on the road I would favor Utah but I think we win this one at home.

Fever,

Don't see a 2-0 start.

Jeff
You make some good points but there is NO WAY they get acclimated in three days to this humidity. For there sake they better have some depth. They can’t simulate this in Utah.

Also. Ohio State was down a number of players in that game not to mention not giving a crap about it. I’m surprised that won at all.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
I know Utah is a good team but having to beat us in the Swamp might bee too much for them - especially facing Richardson who has all off-season to prepare for them. If this was on the road I would favor Utah but I think we win this one at home.
Fever,

Every one talks about Richardson & his enormous POTENTIAL; but IMO, he has yet to ACTUALIZE it.

They talk about his LSU game - a LOSS; he screwed up & was intercepted. Physical talent - yes; but he has yet to show he has the mental side of playing QB under control.

Agree that Richardson has had all pre-season to prepare for Utah; but he is also still learning the offense & the mental points of playing QB. Our defense the same; still learning schemes & has many uncertain starting positions.

One spring practice not much time to implement totally new systems on both offense & defense. Utah, a veteran team, is way beyond that.

Utah, has a SR QB who already knows his offense. Realize that Utah, unlike gators will not have much film to look at; but they will look at tape of Billy's ULL offense & have a general idea of what to expect. Then they will do what a veteran team does - adjust on the fly.

I'm sure that both teams will show some new wrinkles, but doubt any of them will be game winners.

Is the SEC, as a whole, better than PAC12 - hell yes; but Gators are not Bama or the Dawgs; we will not out talent Utah.

EDIT

Ranking the 10 best football players in the SEC​

USA TODAY Sports Network

Gators - 0
Bama - 4
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...king-top-10-sec-football-players/10076541002/

If that was the case, Billy would not have been crying about depth & working the Transfer Portal so hard !

Whittingham has much greater coaching experience than Napier; his team will not be learning new schemes & still looking for a third of his starters. IMO, Utah will be in a better position to react rather than think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicktheslick
Utah will have a very good team. They are no joke. I think they beat us because they also have a lot of continuity & familiarity with their system and coaches, etc. You have to account all our guys are learning new systems, etc and a completely new coaching staff. It would be nice to actually have a cream puff (pre-season) game first to work through some things. We will likely play better in our 2nd game than our 1st for the reasons I stated above.
Things that are in our favor is that it is at home and Utah does have a propensity to start the season slow and then clicking on all cylinders by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Paco,

strongly agree with your last post & a cupcake for 1st game would certainly has helped Napier to ease his way into the season !

Still have Orange & Blue glasses & hope for an upset, but ok with whatever outcome.

Feel like Napier will have gators primed emotionally for Utah. My fear is that losing that game could be tough to recover from; leading to letting Utah beat us twice - ie - KY.

Utah will have a very good team. They are no joke. I think they beat us because they also have a lot of continuity & familiarity with their system and coaches, etc. You have to account all our guys are learning new systems, etc and a completely new coaching staff. It would be nice to actually have a cream puff (pre-season) game first to work through some things. We will likely play better in our 2nd game than our 1st for the reasons I stated above.
Things that are in our favor is that it is at home and Utah does have a propensity to start the season slow and then clicking on all cylinders by the end of the year.
No grantham makes us 10 points better than last year on defense...

Utah Utes 2021 vs their LAC-12 competition, not SEC defenses....

Competition??? No LAC-12 team has even made it to the CFP yet....
#48 UU 2023 Recruits - 11 ***, only 4 with a 5.7 rating.

21st Rushing Yds = 216.8 YPG -- They live or die on their running game.
Tavion Thomas 1,041 Yds

153rd Passing Yds = 214.3 YPG -- It's dink and dunk junk...
Cameron Rising 2,279 Yds -- Brant Kuthe 534 Rec Yds

63rd Total Yds = 431.1 YPG

FG's, 69%, went 11/17, but only 3 of 6 from 40+ out.

#12 UU 9-4 and beat another #22 9-4 Ore team for the LAC-12 Championship.

Losses to: (their after bowl final rankings)
UU 17 - 28 BYU (19)
UU 31 - 33 SDSU (25)
UU 34 - 42 OreSt (NR)
-----
UU 45 - 48 tOSU (6) -- tOSU was without 24 players, injuries + opt-outs, in bowl.
=====

Speaking of backups, Utah's Backup QB Charlie Brewer
P - 48 of 79 60.8% for 484 yds, 6.1 Y/A, 3 TD's, 3 Ints, 6 Sacks/36 Yds, QBR 117.2
R - 12 for 16 Yds, 1.3 YPC, 0 TD's
==========

Jeff - "Is the SEC, as a whole, better than PAC12 - hell yes; but Gators are not Bama or the Dawgs (straw men); we will not out talent Utah."

So Jeff, this means that like me, you don't think that recruit rankings, either individual nor team rankings, means squat. Right??? (#12 UF - #35 UU)
==========

My question is this:

Are you and Paco pumping UU so that if Billy gets a win, then he's fantabulous,,, but if he loses, it was to a much better team... For a positive for Billy either way...

The ole insta says that he can/should/better beat UU by double digits, or he and his staff can't coach up his higher rated players and it will take years for the dumbasses to learn his systems....

Last edited:
Got a chance to watch some highlights of Utah's late season games. I will say that QB is pretty good and he is also enough of a running threat that he can make you pay there on occasion if you don't contain him. Its a good thing we don't have Grantham calling the defense in this game.

On defense they look a little weak at times and my guess is their defense is worse at the beginning of this season with all the true sophomores and a true freshman that will be starters this season. Our experienced O line you would think would be able to push them around some. I highly doubt they could keep us from at least scoring in the upper 20s this game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT